PDA

View Full Version : i just paid $4 for a gallon of milk!

dv8grl
08-30-2007, 10:22 AM
well, it was actually $3.99 w/ tax, but I told the clerk to keep the penny!
Good Lordy thats alot of cash to spend on a gallon of milk!!! i could imagine if I had a family & had to buy 2 of more gallons a week, luckily we can go 10 days on a gallon.

MistyWolf
08-30-2007, 10:30 AM
I know, the price of milk is crazy! .. I pay $3 something as well.

tsquared
08-30-2007, 10:31 AM
they are blaming it all on the ethanol plants that are going up.............

PrincessArky
08-30-2007, 10:40 AM
I think what I got the night before was up to about $3.80 plus tax

Willow
08-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Why is milk more expensive than gas? I didn't know we had a shortage on cows. LOL

JKATHERINE
08-30-2007, 10:54 AM
It's around $4.50 per gallon here...and we go through two gallons every few days (Aiden drinks 2% and the rest of us drink skim)...

PrincessArky
08-30-2007, 10:54 AM
Why is milk more expensive than gas? I didn't know we had a shortage on cows. LOL

well saw something on the news a while back that since they are using more corn for fuel that makes less corn for feed and blah blah blah which means the price of their feed goes up and then so does the price of what you pay for what comes out of the cow lol

Willow
08-30-2007, 11:00 AM
well saw something on the news a while back that since they are using more corn for fuel that makes less corn for feed and blah blah blah which means the price of their feed goes up and then so does the price of what you pay for what comes out of the cow lol

I hate those types of situations. LOL

Sassy65
08-30-2007, 11:05 AM
I thought you're not supposed to tax the milk???

Sassy65

iluvmybaby
08-30-2007, 11:05 AM
I would say buy a cow but bails of hey are $75

myashley89
08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I paid 3.59 yesterday and I thought that was high!! We go thru about a gallon a day here with 4 kids!!

PrincessArky
08-30-2007, 11:13 AM
I hate those types of situations. LOL

yep they get me every time :(

Willow
08-30-2007, 11:15 AM
I thought you're not supposed to tax the milk???

Sassy65

I was surprised to see that too. LOL In Massachusetts they don't tax food or clothing. The only time they tax food is if you're eating at a restaurant. They have what they call a Mass meal tax which I believe is 5%.

freeby4me
08-30-2007, 11:30 AM
Ours went down to 3.98 a gallon here. Using corn as a renewable resource is absolute BS in my book. All it will do is raise the price of EVERYTHING ELSE THAT USES CORN.

jedmatters
08-30-2007, 11:53 AM
$3.99 a gallon here, too.

No tax on food items here, either.

ahippiechic
08-30-2007, 12:01 PM
I bought 2 ga. on Sat, 3.59 ea.

Az doesn't tax food either, but TN did when I lived there.

Pepsi4me
08-30-2007, 12:19 PM
$4.50 a gallon here.

Tasha405
08-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Dang! That's all I need! lol We go through 3 - 4 gallon a week here. I only use it for coffe, cereal or when cooking but my kids and DH also drink it a lot. I guess we'll have to cut down if its that high here too.

I seen on the news the other day that said it would be $5 a gallon by then end of Sept.!

gmyers
08-30-2007, 12:42 PM
I've been paying $4.23 for a gallon of milk all this year at Walmart neighborhood store. And boy have eggs gone up. I used to pay $1.32 for a dozen and a half large eggs now they're $2.03 It seems like everything is going up at Walmart lately. Like regular hamburger meat a five poud pack is over $12 and if you buy ground chuck its over $15 for the five pound family pack. Every two weeks I go grocery shopping and it seems like everything gets higher every two weeks. Walmart also has a gallon jug of orange juice for $4.24 and its not a name brand either.

Tasha405
08-30-2007, 12:43 PM
I've been paying $4.23 for a gallon of milk all this year at Walmart neighborhood store. And boy have eggs gone up. I used to pay $1.32 for a dozen and a half large eggs now they're $2.03 It seems like everything is going up at Walmart lately. Like regular hamburger meat a five poud pack is over $12 and if you buy ground chuck its over $15 for the five pound family pack. Every two weeks I go grocery shopping and it seems like everything gets higher every two weeks. Walmart also has a gallon jug of orange juice for $4.24 and its not a name brand either.

Yep, they said eggs, beef and milk would be going up. I think maybe some vegetables too? I'll have to see if I can find a link to the story.

Urban Cowgirl
08-30-2007, 12:45 PM
It's around $4.50 per gallon here...and we go through two gallons every few days (Aiden drinks 2% and the rest of us drink skim)...

Geesh...hope you get wic!!

Mini
08-30-2007, 12:50 PM

Oh yeah we have the highest food tax, its ridiculas. Its like 9% or something. It just went down but not even enough to notice. Everything is taxed here but yet they just added another tax free day to the year to make 2 every year because they had a surplus. We dont have a state income tax tho.

Gosh us rednecks dont make enough money to afford all these taxes LOL

PrincessArky
08-30-2007, 12:55 PM

I hear that

ahippiechic
08-30-2007, 12:55 PM
LOL Mini!

I know when I lived there it was like 8.75 and that was over 6 years ago. When I visited last year, I kept forgetting about the tax, so I would be going, "but it says 1.99, how come it's 2-something?? LOL! And the cashiers would look at me like I was stupid.

Tasha405
08-30-2007, 12:57 PM
I can't find the story on our local news so I just done some searches....

http://cbs4denver.com/local/local_story_210213612.html
This one tells how it can be as high as $5 a gallon

U.S. milk prices to rise on exports, tight supply
http://www.reuters.com/article/reutersEdge/idUSN0444325420070504

PrincessArky
08-30-2007, 01:03 PM
LOL Mini!

I know when I lived there it was like 8.75 and that was over 6 years ago. When I visited last year, I kept forgetting about the tax, so I would be going, "but it says 1.99, how come it's 2-something?? LOL! And the cashiers would look at me like I was stupid.

my hubby had that same problem when he first came over because we add tax where as in Oz it is already figured in the price you see on the product

gmyers
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Oh yeah we have the highest food tax, its ridiculas. Its like 9% or something. It just went down but not even enough to notice. Everything is taxed here but yet they just added another tax free day to the year to make 2 every year because they had a surplus. We dont have a state income tax tho.

Ours is the same about 9%. We have to pay tax on all groceries which I think is really high.

Aloha from paradise
08-30-2007, 01:11 PM
Just be glad you are not buying milk here in Hawaii. It's $6.00 to $7.00 a gallon. Sometimes you get lucky and can get it for $5.00 a gallon.

dv8grl
08-30-2007, 01:13 PM
TN just lowered the FOOD TAX to only 8.25% - from 8.75% WHAT A SAVINGS Yee-Haww!!!!

Yes, we pay no state income tax, but its still way more expensive to LIVE (clothe, feed) here than it was when I was living in AZ. Housing is still cheap here, but thats about IT!!!!

gmyers
08-30-2007, 01:14 PM
I think we'd stop drinking it if it got that high here. Boy thats high!

jedmatters
08-30-2007, 01:49 PM
We dont have a state income tax tho.

No state income tax here, either...
They just tax the propery until it costs too much to own any!!!

nightrider127
08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
I haven't read all of the replies to this so if I am repeating some advise, I apologize.

Did you all know that you can freeze milk? My husband works at a Kroger store and they have milk on sale a lot. He kept seeing people loading their carts with the cheap milk and he asked a customer how they were going to use all of it up before it went bad. That is when he found out that you could freeze milk. Neither of us knew up to that point that you could freeze it.

justme23
08-30-2007, 02:41 PM
I pay that much for a HALF gallon. We don't have kids either, but we still go through it fast. I pay that much because I am lactose intolerant and I don't like Soy so I have to buy the Lactose free... I forgot how much I love milk so sometimes I do go through one in 2 days.

dcut4
08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Great...we go through about 10 gallons a week, all 6 of us are milk addicts.

Never though I would be saying to the kids...so you want pop or Koolaide with dinner?? nope, can't do that everyday, I guess it will be just water. But if my 4 year old doesn't get her milk for breakfast...watch out, everyone pays, its like her coffee.

Starlady01
08-30-2007, 02:42 PM
I know it is way to high. I don't drink milk myself it makes me sick to my stomach. But I can drink it not allergic. I eat ice cream ect with no adverse reaction. But I still think the price is outrages.

loveswolfs
08-30-2007, 02:50 PM
I havnt checked to see what the price of milk is here yet..but the walgreens by my house had gal milk $2.59 limit 2. So ran and got 2 right away..The gas station by my house has it 2 for 6.00 & after your 8th one you get the 9th one free so all ways buy 2. My grandson drinks a lot of milk & so does my daughter so we can go threw milk fast in my house.

ljtaylor
08-30-2007, 03:06 PM
even at walmart it's like 3.85 a gallon. beyond ridiculous.

lucimPI
08-30-2007, 03:07 PM
WOW. We don't drink milk, just buy it once in awhile for baking or cooking something. I think that my eyes googled out of my head when I saw that. It is like OK, what do I get today, a gallon of gas to get to work or a gallon of milk for my kids. In my area some chicken farmers are going out of business due to the fact that they are unable to purchase corn to feed the chickens. "Shaking head"

tigger4
08-30-2007, 03:30 PM
Milk was $5.29 a gallon at Albertson's the other day. I buy 2 gallons at a time at Cash and Carry for $7.00. The kids go through about 8 to 10 gallons a week.

Eggs are outrageous here. We buy 5 dozen every 2 weeks. They are $8.00 for 5 dozen, last month they were half that.

DBackFan
08-30-2007, 03:37 PM
we have cheap milk places here. The Dairy Mart is 1/2 mile down the road and its 2.25 a gallon believe it or not for all types. I have my own chickens for eggs and we butcher our own beef so we are pretty lucky.

BlueBerriTerri
08-30-2007, 04:12 PM
It's 4.59 at the Duane Reade here in Manhattan and I have 3 hungry calves here. They need their own cow but there's no room.

tsquared
08-30-2007, 05:02 PM
taxes abound here.nothing goes untaxed, but still not a bad place to live.........the US jumps into everything likety split without thinking of where all this stuff is coming from..........Venezuala i think it is makes more Ethanol than the US does a year out of sugar beets i think it is and they are able to export some of theirs..........the US cant even make an eigth of anything we need without raising the price of something till you have to live in a house of 75 people to scrape together enough for a loaf of bread or milk........

JKATHERINE
08-30-2007, 05:18 PM
Geesh...hope you get wic!!

LMAO!!! No way....on paper, we look like we make a decent wage...they never figure in the bills/debt so we live paycheck to paycheck (or worse). lol We never qualify for help.

Willow
08-30-2007, 05:31 PM
Dang! That's all I need! lol We go through 3 - 4 gallon a week here. I only use it for coffe, cereal or when cooking but my kids and DH also drink it a lot. I guess we'll have to cut down if its that high here too.

I seen on the news the other day that said it would be $5 a gallon by then end of Sept.!

My son and I only use milk in our cereal. Kevin drinks it once in a while with a piece of cake or if he's eating cookies. He uses the liquid coffee mate in his coffee so a half gallon will last us about a week.

chasity43
08-30-2007, 06:34 PM
we dont drink very much milk here, but all i can say is thank god we have a barn full of cows. had no idea prices of milk were so high

Bahet
08-30-2007, 07:14 PM

Safeway is 2 for $6 until Tuesday. ;)

Jolie Rouge
08-30-2007, 07:32 PM
well, it was actually $3.99 w/ tax, but I told the clerk to keep the penny!
Good Lordy thats alot of cash to spend on a gallon of milk!!! i could imagine if I had a family & had to buy 2 of more gallons a week, luckily we can go 10 days on a gallon.

$3.89 a gallon - and we go thru about a gallon a day for a family of five

xtrememom
08-30-2007, 07:50 PM
I can beat that two weeks ago in the Myrtle Beach/Surfside Beach SC area at a Super Walmart we paid $5.29 for a gal of skim milk I almost fell out of my Scooter and had a heart attack, but gas was $2.57 a gal !

IT just doesnt make sense when I got home milk had went down here from $3.29 for Whole Milk to $3.09 and eggs had went up from 99 cents to $1.09 at Aldi and the manager told me things were going to get worse for Milk, Eggs, and all meats (pork chicken etc) so I shoudl stock up now and fill up my freezer for the winter months. Gas was actually below $3 a gall to around $2.89

xtrememom

keoka3
08-30-2007, 08:50 PM
Our milk is 5.20 a gallon, and on sale it is like 4.79. and we go thru milk like every other day, and then the baby has to have whole milk.

Shann
08-30-2007, 09:11 PM
I pay that much for a HALF gallon. We don't have kids either, but we still go through it fast. I pay that much because I am lactose intolerant and I don't like Soy so I have to buy the Lactose free...

I was going to say the SAME thing. I'm mean, I'll admit it, I don't feel bad for all of you that pay $4 a gallon b/c I pay that much for a half gallon of nasty ass lactose free/soy milk. I just got yet another brand of soy milk.. and man I don't like that stuf :( The Lucieren (sp?) Lactose free seems to be the best. I hate being lactose intolerant :sob

dv8grl
08-30-2007, 09:18 PM
I was going to say the SAME thing. I'm mean, I'll admit it, I don't feel bad for all of you that pay $4 a gallon b/c I pay that much for a half gallon of nasty ass lactose free/soy milk. I just got yet another brand of soy milk.. and man I don't like that stuf :( The Lucieren (sp?) Lactose free seems to be the best. I hate being lactose intolerant :sob
The soy ( 8th Continent or SILK ) chocolate versions are AWESOME! Have u tried those?

Shann
08-30-2007, 09:29 PM
The soy ( 8th Continent or SILK ) chocolate versions are AWESOME! Have u tried those?

yeah that is the one I just got (8the Continent), the regular, I will try the chocolate. :) I will never buy the vanilla flavored one.. :puke: lol I hate vanilla unless it's a base for something better like chocolate or strawberry :lol I don't like silk at all.

sad thing is.. I don't think our milk is that expensive unless you go to some place like Albertson's, Von's or Smith's where they rape you up the butt :p Walmart or def Sam's club is pretty darn cheap... but I really haven't looked as, I don't usually buy it.

ahippiechic
08-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Safeway is 2 for $6 until Tuesday. ;)

I'm lazy. I go to Walmart every week and get everything from groceries to toys. tools and clothes. I don't even know where a Safeway is near me.

justme23
08-30-2007, 09:36 PM
I don't like the Silk brand either. I haven't tried the 8th continent or chocolate anything... I may give it a shot... but I really don't like the Soy, it just kind of tastes like chalk to me. I don't know... guess I'm just weird... lol.

Shann
08-31-2007, 01:57 AM
I don't like the Silk brand either. I haven't tried the 8th continent or chocolate anything... I may give it a shot... but I really don't like the Soy, it just kind of tastes like chalk to me. I don't know... guess I'm just weird... lol.

LOL you are not weird, I'm the same way. I figured I'd try the 8th Continent, b/c a friend of mine said her sister really likes it. I use this for cereal where I can strain it, you will not see me drinking a straight up glass of it. I'm with you I don't mind the lactose-free kind as much as it tastes semi-close to milk w/o being the real thing. I wish we could get samples of this, as it's an expensive way to find what we like and don't like :(

jedmatters
08-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Do not have Safeways...
We have HEB (5) HEB PLUS (2) or 2 super WalMarts.

Honesty, not much competition. Most people will not buy grocercies at Wal Mart. HEB has us spoiled.

metro
08-31-2007, 08:15 AM
Just be glad you are not buying milk here in Hawaii. It's $6.00 to $7.00 a gallon. Sometimes you get lucky and can get it for $5.00 a gallon.

Oh geez that's terrible, i had a fit when i spent 4.29 a gallon the other day!! :getyou

dv8grl
08-31-2007, 08:15 AM

We dont like the "regular" flavor soy milk, but the choc is really good, I suggest u pick some up & give it a try.

karefree
08-31-2007, 09:29 AM
Sam's Club has the least expensive milk prices around here. (Georgia) I paid $3.24 a gallon yesterday for skim. 1% is a few pennies more. 2% is a few pennies more than that and whole milk is even a few pennies more than that. That is a real switch from other products. Usually they charge you more for something that has less fat put not so with milk.

TMT
08-31-2007, 12:42 PM
Sheesh! Is it too early to suggest that food riots may soon be in order?

tiahana
08-31-2007, 02:24 PM
I just paid $2.83 here for a half gallon

Tasha405
08-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Ours was still $2.89 a gallon today. That's for the Great Value brand at Walmart.

BeanieLuvR
08-31-2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the heads up Tasha! I will wait and get mine when I go to Walmart this weekend. I gave 3.99 for the last gallon that I got at Convienent. It is about 20 or 30 cents cheaper at Giant Eagle but I would have spent more in gas to go all of the way downtown to get it.

gmyers
08-31-2007, 03:11 PM
Ours was still $2.89 a gallon today. That's for the Great Value brand at Walmart.

I got a gallon of Great Value milk last night at Walmart and it cost me $4.33 here in Mobile. I wonder why its so much higher here.

Army-Mom
09-01-2007, 07:53 AM
I just came back from walmart and milk there was 5.29 a gallon..I guess since we live so close to the beach everything is high I dont know maybe maybe not..

Mom2-3boys
09-01-2007, 08:00 AM
We pay $3.48/gallon skim milk at WalMart about the only place around her I will shop otherwise it's highway robbery, although the other stores have com down on some prices. The changing price is just a trickle down of everything else.... oil prices affect the prices of milk through all the transporting and then the plastic jugs. I guess I won't be complaing too much yet because at least I don't have to buy 20 gallons of it at a time.....the higher prices suck, but I am afraid it's not ever going to go back down much.

ahippiechic
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I buy Great Value brand was well, and it's 3.5-something here in AZ.

Army-Mom
09-01-2007, 08:06 AM
I cant understand why all walmarts dont have the same prices.

Urban Cowgirl
09-01-2007, 01:29 PM
LMAO!!! No way....on paper, we look like we make a decent wage...they never figure in the bills/debt so we live paycheck to paycheck (or worse). lol We never qualify for help.

Yeah we are in the same boat!!! LOL

I was talking about $$$ after the baby comes with all the stuff we will be buying the first year, if I can't breastfeed. My Dad says to me if your sister can manage on their income you should be fine. Ah...hello, they get wic and mainecare and possibly some other assistance, I.m not sure. Just medical is a killer when your paying for it.

jedmatters
09-01-2007, 01:38 PM
I cant understand why all walmarts dont have the same prices.
Delivery costs, some stores are farther away from the distrubution center.
Area cost of lving. Things general run according to the cost of living in the area.
Competition in the area. If that Wal-Mart is the only grocery for miles, they can charge more...
Size of the store, and how much of a select item gets sold. Suply and Demand cycle.

justme23
09-01-2007, 05:18 PM
Delivery costs, some stores are farther away from the distrubution center.
Area cost of lving. Things general run according to the cost of living in the area.
Competition in the area. If that Wal-Mart is the only grocery for miles, they can charge more...
Size of the store, and how much of a select item gets sold. Suply and Demand cycle.

Yeah, I was just gonna post this. There are so many walmarts in my area... it's really kind of crazy. But seriously, you can literally drive 2 miles down the road and find some things several dollars cheaper because it is in a "low income" neighborhood and the other one is in a "high income" neighborhood. It's all kinds of screwed up.

gmyers
09-01-2007, 07:25 PM
They must think we're in the high income neighborhood then because Walmart groceries are really high here. And whats funny is there is a lot of competition from other grocerie stores in this area but their groceries are still really high here. I'm trying to find a more reasonable store here but they all seem to be high in this area. And we're not in a fancy neighborhood either.

dv8grl
09-01-2007, 08:42 PM
you can literally drive 2 miles down the road and find some things several dollars cheaper because it is in a "low income" neighborhood and the other one is in a "high income" neighborhood.

I find that the exact opposite in some stores, prices are always higher in the ghetto than they are in the middle calss areas. At the store I work at the prices are lower than our sister store in a shadier part of town.. just because "we have a better clientel". Same thing when I worked @ PepBoys labor was cheaper in the nicer parts of town than in the "ghetto".

BeanieLuvR
09-01-2007, 09:11 PM
I ended up getting my milk at BJs and it was $2.92 for a gallon of skim. I am going to Walmart tomorrow so I'll check it there. Our Walmarts around here are like the ones by justme23. The nicer the area and store the higher the prices.

Jolie Rouge
09-01-2007, 09:13 PM
I find that the exact opposite in some stores, prices are always higher in the ghetto than they are in the middle calss areas. At the store I work at the prices are lower than our sister store in a shadier part of town.. just because "we have a better clientel". Same thing when I worked @ PepBoys labor was cheaper in the nicer parts of town than in the "ghetto".

I used to work security for several stores : they tend to have more "shrink" in the lower income neighborhoods. This is reflected in the higher prices they have to charge to honest shoppers.

freebielover
09-02-2007, 01:46 AM
$4.79 for milk here in CT. Been paying that for a few months now. It's crazy isn't it?

hotwheelstx
09-02-2007, 02:24 AM
I paid a little over $7.00 for 2 gallons yesterday. Told Aggie and the rest they were going to have to come up with something else they wanted to drink. Milk at $3.60 a gallon???? Thank goodness I don't like milk or we'd be in the doghouse for sure.:stunned :stunned :stunned :stunned

jedmatters
09-02-2007, 06:44 AM
Would buying and feeding a cow be cheaper anymore?

dcut4
09-02-2007, 09:52 AM
I found milk for $2.49 at Aldi's yesterday.

earnhardt1
09-03-2007, 03:15 PM
3.89 here and the boys drink a gallon a day it sucks!!!!!!

skeetercat
09-03-2007, 03:31 PM
Just pd $4.49 at Target, I can get it at a local store for 3.95 but since I was already in Target didn't want to make an extra stop.

Mary_Jo3
09-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Mom use to mix half real milk, half powdered milk, she started by adding powdered milk to 3/4 of a gal and went from there. She used powered milk for cooking. I don't know how much powdered milk is now but maybe that might be an option for some. She always made sure there were no lumps, so she would use a mixer or wisk to make sure it was lumpless (word?) before she would pour it into the container.

Dragonfairie
09-04-2007, 11:31 AM
the price of milk was almost $4 in North Dakota 5 years ago, it is now over $5 where I live as of yesterday.

I believe it was last year when beef prices rose so high many of the dairy farmers sold their cows off to the slaughter houses causing an increase in price. Then you add the fact that corn is being used for things other than just food, like ethanol and heating fuel the cost of corn increases affecting everything else, including milk. It doesn't help that much of the farming areas of the country has been suffering from drought. Add in the price of gas and we are all going to pay through the wazoo.