PDA

View Full Version : It was sickening and now I am soooo tired.....

DBackFan
08-28-2007, 10:46 AM
We have animals here which include 2 calves that were just dehorned a couple weeks ago. Last night about 7PM my husband yells "we have a problem..one of the calves and pouring blood out of his head!". :stunned I ran out with him and OMG it was like something out of a horror film, it was gurgling up and just running off of him. I ran to the phone for the Vet and he told us that calf must have knocked out the "core" and to try putting flour on it. We dumped a whole bag and it seemed to make it even worse and now its even scarier looking and I am about to throw up and I was balling my eyes out. :bawling: I still have the Vet online and he says "I cant come out right now, take your branding iron and cauterize it"! MY husband spent 2 HOURS trying to burn this little guys head to stop the bleeding, it was just awful. He was so weak that he couldn't even hold up his head anymore. This morning at 5AM my husband said I think we lost him and we were devastated. He walked out there and HE GOT UP! He was weak but he is going to be ok! :dance I thought he had lost so much blood he was a goner for sure. I may have not slept much but at least he made it. Now I have blood all over my fences, all over the other calf and the one looks like Franenstein with dried blood ALL over him but I am afraid to hose him until a couple days have past.

I need a nap. I get so attatched to the little guys. Once they are big and we butcher its another story...I don't have to see it!

MistyWolf
08-28-2007, 10:51 AM
Awww I'm sorry ((Dbackfan)) .. glad he'll be ok though.

BeanieLuvR
08-28-2007, 10:56 AM
Poor little guy. Thankfully he made it through all of that. Hugs for you. It sounds like it was one heck of a night.

Specialk
08-28-2007, 11:03 AM
Wow, what an ordeal for the both of you guys!!! So glad hes gonna make it!!! Now, you need to get some rest!!!!

iluvmybaby
08-28-2007, 11:05 AM
OMG I am not familiar with dehorning but that sounds HORRIFYING. I am glad he is OK, when is the vet coming out?

ahippiechic
08-28-2007, 11:16 AM
I remember my grandpa doing that when I was little. After a while he started trying to breed polled ones, so he wouldn't have to do it.

DBackFan
08-28-2007, 11:21 AM
Thanks everyone. You know, as sad as it seems, they are "just cattle" to the vets. He said today just to make sure he is eating and drinking and he should be fine. If they were pets you would spend anything you could on them but with ones that are being raised to eat you have to watch the costs involved too. Thats the hardest part to me but I do understand it.

He is gonna be fine but ewwwww he looks just disgusting. This is our 3rd pair of calves to raise and we have dehorned them all and this is a first...hopefully the last!

Pepsi4me
08-28-2007, 11:28 AM
So glad he is going to make it. I could never raise farm animals. I get too attached to animals.

MsLynn
08-28-2007, 12:12 PM
i hate when that happens. When i was in school, would have to go out and dehorn cattle. i hated the bleeders we'd have to use needle nose plyers to reach in and pull the vein. I know that wouldn't have helped in this case, but I always ended up covered in blood.

lucimPI
08-28-2007, 12:23 PM
Talk about the night from "Hades", you sure had it. I am so glad that he will be OK.

PrincessArky
08-28-2007, 12:37 PM
oh I am so glad he is going to be ok. I worry about that with Muffin (don't let the name fool you he is 2500k+ lbs of registered Beef Master lol)he was dehorned when came here BUT he is always rubbing the little stubs and makes it bleed a bit and I worry that one day he will hit it too hard and really really hurt himself. We havent dehorned any of ours and dont think I would have the stomach to actually

dv8grl
08-28-2007, 12:39 PM
poor little calf. aww., i hope he heals quickly. hope YOU heal quickly!!! I can't handle things like that, i would have certainly passed out!

Shann
08-28-2007, 06:34 PM
Thanks everyone. You know, as sad as it seems, they are "just cattle" to the vets. He said today just to make sure he is eating and drinking and he should be fine. If they were pets you would spend anything you could on them but with ones that are being raised to eat you have to watch the costs involved too. Thats the hardest part to me but I do understand it.

this is so sad and something I wish I didn't read :sob I got a bad mental image :(

to the vet it may just be cattle, but he still has a right to live a good life where he's taken care of (which it sure sounds like you are doing) regardless if he's a pet or raised to be eaten.

iluvmybaby
08-28-2007, 07:05 PM
I hope that you get some rest tonight

Barcode
08-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Okay... now that i'm thoroughly grossed out and no nothing of raising cattle I have to ask you why do they need to be dehorned if they are food?

pepperpot
08-28-2007, 07:32 PM
I am just so traumatized reading the OP...:stunned

Boy, do I need a drink! :stunned

Dbackfan, all I can say is 'wow' :stunned, glad you both are okay......

aussiegirl
08-28-2007, 07:33 PM
So glad he's better

Memedav
08-28-2007, 07:58 PM
Ok, I was wondering the same thing as Barcode. What is the purpose of dehorning? I would assume it would be to prevent them from hurting other animals and owners, but now I must admit that I'm very curious. I'm sure it was emotionally exhausting and I would imagine it's also very hard to raise one like that and then take it to slaughter. Also I was wondering how long do you usually keep them before taking them to slaughter? I feel kinda dumb but I never even heard of "dehorning" I mean I've seen cows without horns but I just assumed they never grew any! lol I've been in the city too long

tngirl
08-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Correct, they are de-horned so they do not gouge other cattle or humans.

Why Dehorn? (http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/livestock/beef/facts/87-038.htm#WHY%20DEHORN)
Bruising caused by horned feedlot cattle has been reported to cost the world wide beef industry millions of dollars in losses from trimming damaged carcasses.
Injury to other stock. Hornless cattle cause less injury and bruising to herd mates.
A saving on bunk space is possible with dehorned cattle.
The risk of injury to the operator is increased when working with horned cattle in confined areas.
A risk of death, illness and setback is imposed on the calf dehorned at an older age.
An advantage in price is usually realized for hornless calves offered at auction.

When I worked on a hog farm we had to cut the piglets tusks and also cut their tails. The purpose of cutting the tusks was to minimize damage caused by full tusk and the tail is cropped because it takes a lot of feed to maintain the weight of the tail, costing the farmer money.

pepperpot
08-28-2007, 08:23 PM
Correct, they are de-horned so they do not gouge other cattle or humans.

When I worked on a hog farm we had to cut the piglets tusks and also cut their tails. The purpose of cutting the tusks was to minimize damage caused by full tusk and the tail is cropped because it takes a lot of feed to maintain the weight of the tail, costing the farmer money.
If they didn't cut that pig's tail how big would it get? :lol

DBackFan
08-28-2007, 08:29 PM
They are not even allowed at auction with horns, it just isn't allowed for fear of injury. He is doing really good now by the way,
We have our first one ready to butcher next month and I raised him from a day old with a bottle just like all the ones that followed. He was born in April 2006 so he will be 18 months when we butcher but he is a huge one. We will wait until the others are 2 probably.

tngirl
08-28-2007, 08:42 PM
So, what day and what time is that steak dinner?

ahippiechic
08-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Also if they are dehorned, they take less room at the feeding trough and when transporting.

Aloha from paradise
08-28-2007, 09:21 PM
I could never live on a farm because all the animals would end up being pets. When I worked at The Kauai Humane Society I bottled raised four baby pigs. Not all at the same time. To this day I can't eat pork. Before that I used to love pork chops but now I just can't do it. Won't even cook it. I understand why you do what you do but I just couldn't. I'm glad the little guy is doing better.

Mary_Jo3
08-28-2007, 09:33 PM
OH MY GOD, I would have passed out from all the blood, you are a much stronger person then me. We buy our beef from our vet/friend the first time he wanted me to go out and pick one, I told him I was not sending a cow to its death, it needs to be in plastic. I don't want to see its face, thats why I can't eat fish with their heads on, it's like they are looking at you, gives me the willies. We helped them tag for a sale once, big problem they don't come when called, and trying to get their heads in that thing to mark their ears with numbers, they don't like that either. You can't push them, you can't pull them, if they don't want to move thats it. Have you ever seen the cows that are black on each end and white around the middle, I forgot what my vet called them, but we call them Oreo cows. Glad your little one is doing better, please get some rest.

Shann
08-28-2007, 10:12 PM
I could never live on a farm because all the animals would end up being pets. When I worked at The Kauai Humane Society I bottled raised four baby pigs. Not all at the same time. To this day I can't eat pork. Before that I used to love pork chops but now I just can't do it. Won't even cook it. I understand why you do what you do but I just couldn't. I'm glad the little guy is doing better.

Oh Shirl!!! That is so sweet! :hug I adore little piggies and don't eat pork either. (nor is it allowed to be cooked in my pans or touched w/ my dishes/silverware) :D Everyone thinks I'm weird b/c of my reasoning, but they are just so damn cute! I hope to own a pot bellied pig one day when I have a bigger house w/ a bigger yard :D (and not in Vegas) lol

Barcode
08-29-2007, 01:20 AM
I don't think I would have made it through Dbacks ordeal. (shivers). I never knew you had to dehorn them. To think all these yrs, that male cows had horns and female cows didnt, come to find out they all do. I use to have 7 chickens. That collection started because I got drunk in the afternoon at a friends house and she sold me one for five bucks. Then I had to get it a friend. Then someone gave me a rooster that attacked me and I beat the crap out of it then ran it over with my car to make sure it was dead. Then I buried it. I didnt know roosters did that either.
Attacked me from behind and pushed me down, I turned around and got up thinking a person pushed me down. Just when i'm thinking poltergiest he jumped straight up and got me again. Now there is no way in hale i'm going to let it live and let it do that to one of my kids (they were little then). But anyhow, I have to be pretty hungry to eat chicken. Which is usually when i'm in walmart and walk past the fried chicken that smells sooo good. I don't do eggs. I fish but never in my life have I eaten fish or any type of seafood. So guess what meat is left.. yeah I know.. I'm sooo sorry... but I can eat the whole pork and nothing but the pork so help me god. :slap

PrincessArky
08-29-2007, 04:17 AM
They are not even allowed at auction with horns, it just isn't allowed for fear of injury.

wow I have never heard of that not like that in here

we have this guy around here you should she his Texas Longhorns he raises those horns are HUGE lol

Freebeemom
08-29-2007, 04:53 AM
What is the "Core"? That sounds awful. Good for you for standing by and taking care of it. I am so sorry!

Mary_Jo3
08-29-2007, 07:16 AM
I hope you are feeling better this morning and your little one is getting stronger by the minute.
We were this close to having a little place in the country with some land and I had a list, a couple of pigmy (sp?) goats, a couple of lama's or Alpacas, maybe a couple of horses, but they are so expensive to keep, a couple of oreo cows, then my husband mentioned eating them, I told him it would be like eating one of my dogs. Thats why one of his friends at work names them number 1, number 2 and number 3. I don't think I am meant for the country.
BTW Barcode, I don't blame you I would have beat that rooster with a broom, I didn't think they could knock you down either. Don't they debeak chickens, how do they eat?
That little place had a pond with a tall fence around it and there were 2 or 3 swans, oh they look nice in the water but when they came running at the fence with their wings stretched, necks stuck out, hissing like snakes, I said those things have to go, they look so nice on cards and stuff, but in real life......... and they are huge.

PrincessArky
08-29-2007, 08:49 AM
Don't they debeak chickens, how do they eat?

I THINK (never owned chicken houses just the few I have for the eggs) the just burn the tip part off so that it doesnt get pointy

DAVESBABYDOLL
08-29-2007, 08:56 AM
Well good Lord, Sound gross,poor guy. Glad he's ok.

ahippiechic
08-29-2007, 09:37 AM
I THINK (never owned chicken houses just the few I have for the eggs) the just burn the tip part off so that it doesnt get pointy

Yeah, they burn the tip so if they try to flog you, they dont do as much damage.

suprtruckr
08-29-2007, 09:47 AM
but I can eat the whole pork and nothing but the pork so help me god. :slap

LMAO now thats funny

DBackFan
08-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Well he is just like nothing ever happened today..lol (except still lots of dry blood which means LOTS of flies having a field day)

I have chickens too but we don't do anything to their beaks, we just have lots of fresh eggs too. :)

Aren't they just the cutest when they are calves?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/hayes2258/animals013.jpg

MistyWolf
08-29-2007, 12:13 PM
Glad he is OK and yes they are very cute .. as calves .. lol.

PrincessArky
08-29-2007, 01:41 PM
Well he is just like nothing ever happened today..lol (except still lots of dry blood which means LOTS of flies having a field day)

I have chickens too but we don't do anything to their beaks, we just have lots of fresh eggs too. :)

Aren't they just the cutest when they are calves?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v600/hayes2258/animals013.jpg

oh he is cute. did you guys band him? we only did that to one of the guys and MY gosh for a little thing he sure was hard to hold down lol I take care of my brothers cows during the week cause he doesnt live here on the farm and he has given me 2 of he babies that I have had to bottle feed so I am gonna be a grandma sometime around Christmas with my first one and boy am I excited. If it is a girl it stays if a boy probably band him and keep him till he is big enough for market

DBackFan
08-29-2007, 01:46 PM
oh he is cute. did you guys band him? we only did that to one of the guys and MY gosh for a little thing he sure was hard to hold down lol I take care of my brothers cows during the week cause he doesnt live here on the farm and he has given me 2 of he babies that I have had to bottle feed so I am gonna be a grandma sometime around Christmas with my first one and boy am I excited. If it is a girl it stays if a boy probably band him and keep him till he is big enough for market

We have always banded the others but we waited to long with these 2 so when the Vet did the dehorning he also castrated them. I will NEVER have them cut again, its awful too. Banding is clean and easy.

Before someone asks us why you have to band them I will answer that...lol Male calves grow up to be bulls with a lot of testosterone and quite mean sometimes. You band or castrate them when they are young and turn them into "steers" to keep them more mellow and when you are going to raise to slaughter.

PrincessArky
08-29-2007, 01:49 PM
We have always banded the others but we waited to long with these 2 so when the Vet did the dehorning he also castrated them. I will NEVER have them cut again, its awful too. Banding is clean and easy.

Before someone asks us why you have to band them I will answer that...lol Male calves grow up to be bulls with a lot of testosterone and quite mean sometimes. You band or castrate them when they are young and turn them into "steers" to keep them more mellow and when you are going to raise to slaughter.

oh yeah I know castrating pigs is YUCK so I can only imagine on the bulls :( Well bro hasnt banned but just the one BUT I will band mine simply because I see how "beefy" they grow when they are and I want top $ lol

Mary_Jo3
08-29-2007, 04:44 PM
Oh so thats the difference between a bull and a steer.
Don't I just scream city girl. :slap
ROTFLMBO

tngirl
08-29-2007, 08:12 PM
ROTFLMBO

A bull has the jewels, the steer is castrated.

And castrating pigs was always so much fun...lol. I remember the first time I saw it done and didn't think I would ever be able to do it. The first time I did, I was nervous as all get out.

Shancopp
08-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Sweet Bejezez!! I'm glad I'm not a farm girl!!!!! ack!

PrincessArky
08-30-2007, 05:15 AM
ROTFLMBO

ah hey nothing wrong with that there are days I wish I were a city girl like when I am working in the field either with the animals or something else sweating terrible (and smelling just as bad) picking up stuff some men can't handle....would love to have a day where I was actually a girly girl :)

Mary_Jo3
08-30-2007, 05:18 AM
From the animals point of view that has to hurt like crazy, my point of view would be from on the ground looking up after I saw it done.
You know I was in 4-H when I was a kid and these tidbits of information never came up in cooking class.

PrincessArky
08-30-2007, 05:29 AM
You know I was in 4-H when I was a kid and these tidbits of information never came up in cooking class.

lol

U know I wish I had known how to cook before I got married that was something I had to teach myself with my new Betty Crocker cookbook that I bought myself lol

Mary_Jo3
08-30-2007, 06:18 AM
I never said I learned to cook just went to the classes.
Real easy stuff, french toast, potato soup, red velvet cake, cookies, stuff like that.

Taterbo
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
HEY DBackFan..Get yourself a couple of boxes of old fashion corn starch for the next time this happens or even for wire cuts..Helps the blood to clot up faster than flour.

buglebe
08-30-2007, 06:23 PM
Oh the things I learn on here.

Starlady01
08-31-2007, 06:45 AM
I was kind of raised in Orlando but am actually a country girl at heart. All of my family lived in the Country and when visiting I saw many animals being raised and eaten. So for a city gal I guess I can say it doesn't bother me to eat raised live stock. I can say that my family always did to my knowledge treat there animals good. I've heard horror stories of assembly lines and how animals are treated.

One more thing about the rooster that attracted that guy wow. I've been around chickens and rooster alot and have never seen one attack someone before strange.

Shancopp
08-31-2007, 07:15 AM
speaking of this, my best friend since High school called me last nite and I was telling her to watch the CBS Evening news this weekend to see my hubby's interview and she was like "Oh No!, I'm going to be in OH"!! I asked her why she was going to OH and she said she is going to a seminar. I asked if it was for her work and she said no, it was an artificial insemination for pigs seminar!!!!!! DEAR LORD! lol! She's gonna take this course so she can AI her register girl pig (don't know the name) w/ a registered boy pig's "stuff"!!! My gf is a country girl over and over and I'm the opposite. I think that's why we are best buds for 25 years! She's a truck driver farm girl who is always changing a water pump, brakes, tires, trannies, etc! One time she got in a fist fight (she grew up w/ 2 older bros) with my boyfriend when we spotted him cruising with another girl! Anoher time we were about 16, out cruising in her car and her muffler fell off....no problemo! She whips a coat hanger outta the back seat, crawls under the car, and ties that sucker up! She's my girl!! She hunts and has dead animals and thier heads all over her house and I love her for it! She's the best! I wish I was a little more like her, actually.