PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone here a Jehovah Witness ?

Jolie Rouge
08-21-2007, 07:29 AM
I am the appointed "Crafty Mom" for my son's kindergarten class. A mom came over to me this morning and told me that they are JW and that we can not have any "holiday" decorations or crafts involving her child. If we have a party we are supposed to send her out of the room ( where ? If we are having a Halloween/Christmas/Easter party so are other classes - are we supposed to make this poor kid stand in the yard ? )

I asked the mom if she would help me come up with crafts or ideas and she said "No, I don't have time for that.... just remember no jack o'lanterens, Santa's reindeer, elfs, Easter bunnies or eggs, no Valentines, Shamrocks or any of that trash. It can be seaonal, but no Holidays."

Help ?

How can I do crafts for 18 children without hurting this 1 child's ( parents ) religious sensabilities ? What are the beliefs, so I can work around this child without leaving her out ?

lisarae
08-21-2007, 07:51 AM
I would say do your own thing and not let the other kids miss out on something fun because of her silly beliefs. But I would also make something for her to do. Such as make some kind of fall collage with leaves for fall or halloween, and do something with snowflakes for winter and Christmas time or snowmen. Valentines, I really have no idea. Spring/Easter do some sort of flower things for her.

Good luck.

PrincessArky
08-21-2007, 07:51 AM
oh wow sounds like a pickle :( would have been nice of her to give you a clue for an idea since I am guessing this is the only kid you are having to change things up for her. I know at halloween time you could just focus on something fall like..since kindergarden maybe some leaves or something??? The only think I can think of at Christmas is snow lol sorry not much help

Rosina823
08-21-2007, 08:45 AM
I would tell her if she dont have the time or isn't willing to help you out with ideas then your hands are tied.Tell her you dont have the time study the religion of JW.It is not fair to the other kids as also for the little girl to be excluded. I would feel sorry for her to have to sit out of the room and listen to all the kids having fun .I went to school with a kid that was a JW and I felt bad for him.Whenever we had a holiday function he would sadly say he would not be at school that day cause he is a JW and his parents wouldn't let him.

Shancopp
08-21-2007, 08:47 AM
I think the teacher needs to step in and help you. I'd ask her to make things appropriate for this child. You can then worry about the others.

MistyWolf
08-21-2007, 08:51 AM
Jehovah's don't believe in giving their child a life saving blood transfusion, because it isn't "God's way!" .. They don't believe in Halloween cause it's the "devil's holiday" .. the don't celebrate Christmas because it "isn't Jesus birthday." .. They came to my door a few years back (when we first moved here) and I argued these points with them .. I told them that I would die for my children and that if it wasn't God's way, why did he give man the knowledge to be doctors and save lives. Halloween is actually All Saints Eve, which is a religious holiday and if Christmas isn't actually the day Jesus was born on, it is a day that is designated so to honor him. They recently again came to my door (No soliciting sign and all) and I told them they weren't welcome and to not knock on my door because they are soliciting their "religion" to me.

That poor child is being excluded because her parents follow this religion .. and I am not going to apologize to anyone on here who may be JW .. it is a whacked out "religion."

Maybe her mom should just keep her home on these days (like Rosina said a kid in her class did) .. why should you have to change things for one person who's mother could care less to even help you?

lizmolik
08-21-2007, 09:03 AM
Jehovah's don't believe in giving their child a life saving blood transfusion, because it isn't "God's way!" .. They don't believe in Halloween cause it's the "devil's holiday" .. the don't celebrate Christmas because it "isn't Jesus birthday." .. They came to my door a few years back (when we first moved here) and I argued these points with them .. I told them that I would die for my children and that if it wasn't God's way, why did he give man the knowledge to be doctors and save lives. Halloween is actually All Saints Eve, which is a religious holiday and if Christmas isn't actually the day Jesus was born on, it is a day that is designated so to honor him. They recently again came to my door (No soliciting sign and all) and I told them they weren't welcome and to not knock on my door because they are soliciting their "religion" to me.

That poor child is being excluded because her parents follow this religion .. and I am not going to apologize to anyone on here who may be JW .. it is a whacked out "religion."

Maybe her mom should just keep her home on these days (like Rosina said a kid in her class did) .. why should you have to change things for one person who's mother could care less to even help you?

ITA...You should definitely not forget about the other children...they need to have fun too. I think that parents go too far. I am not Jewish...but if my child wanted to experience things regarding Hanuka...I would not care. As long as he was having fun doing it!!!

MistyWolf
08-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Jolie does your children go to a public school? .. If so, than religion should have nothing to do with these holidays .. if you want to cut out hearts for Valentine's Day and shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day (yeah it's a religious day .. lol) .. than go for it!

JW's don't even celebrate their own children's birthday's (or their own for that matter) .. that is crazy!

Jolie Rouge
08-21-2007, 09:18 AM
See, that is why I wanted to "talk" to someone who shares their belief, so that I can understand what is "allowed"

MistyWolf
08-21-2007, 09:21 AM
There is nothing allowed! Rosina said to look in a handbook to see what it says about JW .. it isn't even an actual religion!

Char
08-21-2007, 09:32 AM
My sister and her family are JW's, my sister has been since age 15... she's 50 now.

I also know a LOT of them, they are some fine, fine people.

The kids, even in their own mind, are not 'missing out' by not celebrating the pegan holidays, in fact, they themselves do not want to celebrate them.

The religion is not 'whacked', just different. I personally am not a JW, but, tend to believe what they do. I mean, this is a 'religion' thing, and I don't argue religion, nor do I judge it, to each his own.

I myself will not take blood. No way, no how. Why ? Want me to quote scriptures where it is forbidden for christians to take blood 'in any form'... because I can. But, because they don't take blood, they have caused the medical profession, over the past several years, to find ways to expand blood (that's the point of getting blood, to expand the volume - it 'used' to be easier to let a patient bleed during surgery and just keep pumping blood into them, but, people were getting all kinds of blood-born diseases) in the body without the use of another's whole blood, and because of that, most of your BIG heart hospitals now do 'no blood open heart surgeries' for ALL their patients, not just JW's...why ? Because it is so much safer, no chances for all the problems that getting whole blood causes. My hubby is a nurse, and did you know that while giving a patient blood, the nurse MUST stay with the patient for 15 full minutes to watch for adverse reactions... yes, getting blood can be very dangerous. Also, people who do not get another's blood recover much faster. So, it's all been a good thing, and has benefited everyone. It's so cool when you hear Doctors in the big medeical centers say 'the perfect surgery is one with no blood given, and JW's expect the best in medical care.

LOL, I included the above blood thing because it's the first thing people always say, that JW's don't take blood, but, they never know why, because that's really about all they know about JW's.

Ok, all that said..................

When kids around them are doing 'Halloween' things (and keep in mind, Halloween, although it was one of my favorite holidays as a kid (because I got candy), is NOT a religious holiday, in fact, it's totally pegan... every adult knows that...and, also, many animals are sacrificed (killed) by cults, because that's the day they 'celebrate'.) they could be doing 'fall' things... anything season related. When others are doing christmas, they could do 'winter' scenes etc...

My sisters kids were, on some days, kept home because the teacher told her (my sister) it was 'fun day', and there would be no learning, just a party and stuff. My nephews are always THRILLED to get to stay hoem from school a day...LOL, trust me, they were not 'sad'.

You could talk to the teacher too, they are completely trained on how to deal with various religions and how they affect the kids... like Jewish and pork and/or christmas, Jehovah's Witnesses and holidays, pentecostal females not wearing pants etc...

Thansk god we live in a country where ALL have a right to their religion, otherwise we would be like... say Iraq, where we could be killed because we believe a certain way.

MistyWolf
08-21-2007, 09:37 AM
JW's to me are nothing but a cult .. I am sorry, but I would do anything to save my child's life!

I will continue to celebrate my "pagan" holidays .. and my children will have fun. JW children do miss it .. Rosina went to school with a boy who was JW and he felt like he missed out on these celebrations. And for the ones who don't miss it, it's cause they are brain washed by their elders!

magenta
08-21-2007, 09:46 AM
One of my very best friends in school was JW. On holiday parties, she went to the library. She did not feel excluded or put out. She did not want to be a part of things she did not beleive in. She always sat during the pledge, too.

At X-mas gift exchange she got a "being a good friend" gift. It was not in holiday paper.

She would help decorate w/ seasonal items. ie snowflakes, leaves, tulips. nothing holiday related.

And no she did not get b-day presents. They celebrated their parents for giving them life on their b-day. And I kinda like that idea.

There were days she stayed home too, like a previous poster said. She not weird or pushy in her religion and answered each and every ? we asked her. You would think the child's mother would have helped you out more. What a shame.

MistyWolf
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
I am glad your friend didn't feel left out and isn't weird or pushy, but the people who come to my door are weird and pushy! They are the reason I feel the way I do about JW's.

When I lived in AZ, I worked with a girl who was JW and she didn't like what she had to do for their "religion" .. she wanted out and didn't agree with what she was taught.

BeanieLuvR
08-21-2007, 09:51 AM
My friend was a JW and her mom would just pick her up early on party days because they were always at the end of the day at our school. Truthfully if you are saying the whole class will have to do something that won't offend the one child then I do not think it is fair. Why should all of the other kids not get to do holiday things because of one child? I would think it would be easier for the mother to either pick the child up before the party or let them stay home on that day. I can't believe any mother would rather their child sit in the hall and have to hear the party but not be able to participate?

Rosina823
08-21-2007, 09:56 AM
My friend was a JW and her mom would just pick her up early on party days because they were always at the end of the day at our school. Truthfully if you are saying the whole class will have to do something that won't offend the one child then I do not think it is fair. Why should all of the other kids not get to do holiday things because of one child? I would think it would be easier for the mother to either pick the child up before the party or let them stay home on that day. I can't believe any mother would rather their child sit in the hall and have to hear the party but not be able to participate?

ITA...JW is not a real religion as it is anyways.I dont think there would be anything in a public school handbook about a relgion that doesn't exist.

Char
08-21-2007, 09:59 AM
Yeah magenta (BTW, again, I love that name !) my nephews did not miss out on anything, in fact, they are all alduts now... 24, 31 & 33, and none choose to celebrate Halloween ( that does byte for me, because I don't either, but, I really used to like it as a kid...LOL, I mean, free candy, and, you get to go run around !) LOL... but, now, they find all kinds of tortured and murdered black cats and stuff on Halloween night... and that breaks my heart.

It's good that you had a JW friend and saw things from the inside... they are a happy, healthy people.

AS far as that mother saying she 'didn't have time for it'... I find that odd, they could contact the elders at her place of worship... there is normally only one in each area.

Now, my other sisters kids...two boys, every birthday, someone was introuble ! Always mad that one kid got something and they didn't, or, one got more than another etc... Oh, and just for teh sake of facts, the christmas holiday is the time of year when there are more suicides than any other time of year. That's sad too... I always wondered why people waited on holidays to 'celebrate' life or visit people... people should be loving and giving to their families year 'round. I dunno, just a thought...lol

magenta
08-21-2007, 10:02 AM
I am glad your friend didn't feel left out and isn't weird or pushy, but the people who come to my door are weird and pushy! They are the reason I feel the way I do about JW's.

When I lived in AZ, I worked with a girl who was JW and she didn't like what she had to do for their "religion" .. she wanted out and didn't agree with what she was taught.

If you ask them not to come to your door, they should stop, if they do not tell them you are going to contact the local JW Hall and tell them not to come. They really should stop. That is what they are suppose to do.

earnhardt1
08-21-2007, 10:03 AM
since when has halloween turned so morbid?

Char
08-21-2007, 10:04 AM
There are 6.7 million JW's... and they are a religion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Misty, that holds true with every religion... I went to school with Catholic's that hated it, Pentecostal who couldn't cut their hair or wear pants, Jewish kids who has to watch that they ate... every religion has it's quirks.

MistyWolf
08-21-2007, 10:07 AM
If you ask them not to come to your door, they should stop, if they do not tell them you are going to contact the local JW Hall and tell them not to come. They really should stop. That is what they are suppose to do.

I have asked them nicely to not come to my door and they stopped for a few years until recently. Had 2 sets of people with-in a week knock. Thanks for the tip, next time I will contact the JW Hall.

MistyWolf
08-21-2007, 10:08 AM
There are 6.7 million JW's... and they are a religion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hey Misty, that holds true with every religion... I went to school with Catholic's that hated it, Pentecostal who couldn't cut their hair or wear pants, Jewish kids who has to watch that they ate... every religion has it's quirks.

Yes every religion does, but I do not consider JW a religion. Sorry it's just how I feel.

Char
08-21-2007, 10:12 AM
since when has halloween turned so morbid?

Yeah, it bytes.

We all know Halloween has nothing to do with religion... I think that's a given, and so is the fact that cults use that day to hold their... hmmm, not sure what to call them... customs ? But that fact that animlas get sacrificed (the spilling of blood) just really hurts me. Read the papers right after Halloween, the cases come up often.

Anyway, if you look up Halloween on the net, it had to do with scaring away devil possession, evil spirits etc... it's just a custom too, not a religious thing. Of course, kids today don't 'celebrate' it for those reasons, that's just where it started.

Willow
08-21-2007, 10:13 AM
I think they are a cult and not a religion. That's just my opinion too. LOL

earnhardt1
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
Yeah, it bytes.

We all know Halloween has nothing to do with religion... I think that's a given, and so is the fact that cults use that day to hold their... hmmm, not sure what to call them... customs ? But that fact that animlas get sacrificed (the spilling of blood) just really hurts me. Read the papers right after Halloween, the cases come up often.

Anyway, if you look up Halloween on the net, it had to do with scaring away devil possession, evil spirits etc... it's just a custom too, not a religious thing. Of course, kids today don't 'celebrate' it for those reasons, that's just where it started.

i went to a catholic school and YES we celebrated halloween every year there is nor was nothing BAD about halloween.........the whole cult thing was a theory....... there are cults that do this all the time it is no different on halloween u only hear about them because of halloween just like the pitt bull arguments you only hear bad stuff not good........... so maybe to you it is a custom but we were taught it was part of our catholic religion

sorry to get off topic for the op i would make the parent help other than that do it your way

lassss
08-21-2007, 10:16 AM
You're right..if this is a public school and she can't help come up with ideas for her own child's sake then she can get bent. Just do what you do Jolie and create crafts for everyone and let the teacher know what went down

Jolie does your children go to a public school? .. If so, than religion should have nothing to do with these holidays .. if you want to cut out hearts for Valentine's Day and shamrocks for St. Patrick's Day (yeah it's a religious day .. lol) .. than go for it!

JW's don't even celebrate their own children's birthday's (or their own for that matter) .. that is crazy!

Char
08-21-2007, 10:20 AM
I do not consider JW a religion. Sorry it's just how I feel.

Don't be sorry... I just don't understand how you could even question that... Do you consider being Jewish a religion ? Catholic ? Pentecostal ?

I don't understand where you see a difference ? I mean, if anything, it is a religion.

Let me look up the definition of religion and see what Webster says a religion is...

Belief in and reverence for a supernatural power or powers regarded as creator and governor of the universe.
A personal or institutionalized system grounded in such belief and worship.
The life or condition of a person in a religious order.
A set of beliefs, values, and practices based on the teachings of a spiritual leader.
A cause, principle, or activity pursued with zeal or conscientious devotion.

Yup, looks like they are a religion.

Char
08-21-2007, 10:28 AM
earnhardt1 - Look up the history of cults and Halloween on the web, to say it is all theory is just not correct... there is a lot known about Halloween and it's beginnings.

As far as religion goes, that's why I don't argue it, it can go on, and on, and on, and on...

This is America, we all have rights to believe what we want to believe.

Char
08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Just to lighten the mood a bit here...

A good friend of mine is a wiccan... yet, they show up for all the college's religious parties, christmas, easter etc...

So, I had always wanted to know, and I finally asked her "Tonya, you always bring your kids to the x-mas party, and the Easter party... being wiccan and not worshiping god, why do you do that ? (She knows me well and knows I am not judging her, and that I love her to death, so, of course she didn't get crappy about it)... and she says "I'm covering all the bases, just in case, ya know !" LOL, I thought it was classic !

Rosina823
08-21-2007, 11:08 AM
I personally dont care what religion anyone is or what they choose to practice..Just please dont shove it down my throat.Im a catholic but it doesn't mean I believe everything that is taught with the catholic religion.I look at it this way as long as I believe what I think is right is all that matters.We may not think the same way but that is ok.I wont shove my religion on you and I expect the same from people.My mother also practiced Wiccan and she still celebrated all holidays.

dcut4
08-21-2007, 11:10 AM
I would talk to the teacher and or principle and ask them how you should handle it. You are volunteering to do this and for all the responsibility to come to you is a little much I think.

From the way it sounds even if you make a special craft item or gift for this child as long as there are exhibits of any of the 'forbidden'(for lack of a better word) holiday in the classroom then this child will not be able to participate. So do you change everything for everyone or do you go about things like planned and let the parent decide how to handle it. I know some strong Jehovah witness will make the child leave the classroom even if another kid has brought in cupcakes for a birthday treat, a girl I went to school with had to do just that. I'm not sure you can do every thing to accommodate this child that the parents want, at that point the child may just have to set out.

Kyla Kym
08-21-2007, 11:17 AM
I would tell the mom that if she doesn't want her child to participate that she needs to come get her child out of class during the parties and either set with her child in the study hall, library or the cafeteria, because all the parents and teachers would have their hands full with the parties. That it's not your job to make sure her child had somewhere to go during the parties.

That way her mom will be the one who removes her from the festivities, and she will have to explain to her why she isn't allowed to be with the other kids.

PrincessArky
08-21-2007, 01:11 PM
One thing I do like about JWs is watching them put up a Kingdom Hall boy they all get out there and move like nothing flat. We have one here that they did completely in one weekend. I do have a friend that is a JW and they all helped her and hubby (who has no religious beliefs one way or the other) build their home. They use a portable sawmill and all that sort of stuff to use their own trees. They built a beautiful home for their family for $3K total cost they were out

Shann
08-22-2007, 12:30 AM
how sad this poor little girl is going to have to miss out because of something like this. :( When I was growing up, one of my closest friend's was a JW. It was so sad seeing her not participate in anything, I'm agreeing w/ the others, the other kids shouldn't have to suffer b/c of this one. If the mother is "too busy" to help w/ craft ideas for her daughter, she should come pick her up or have her stay at home for the day. I just don't see how this is fair to that girl. I would have hated to see everyone having a good time but b/c of some religion, that I wouldn't have understood at that age, I wouldn't be able to participate. And have her leave the room.. R U KIDDING ME?!?!? :slap

justme23
08-22-2007, 05:24 AM
Ok, I don't have anything else to share... cause I was raised to think all things JW are bad and I really don't know anything about them... however. They are a tax exempt organization... which means the Government considers them a real religion. Not that it means anything, they gave Scientology tax exempt status too... but just sharing that they are, by law, a "real" religion.

yelrihs61
08-22-2007, 06:35 AM
O.K........just had to jump in here.........:bangdesk Whatever happened to the separation of church and state?
The schools here in my area don't celebrate anything.Religion plays no part in it.
You can't please all the different religious people, no matter what you try to do.
Practice your religion freely, but don't expect the whole world to adapt to your beliefs.

ahippiechic
08-22-2007, 06:56 AM
My DD's school doesn't do any religious holidays either. They have a fall, winter, spring and summer celebration, plus Labor and Memorial day and Thanksgiving.

Willow
08-22-2007, 06:59 AM
The schools in our areas stopped doing the holiday parties a long time ago. They do have seasonal activities that they do but nothing on specific holidays. On certain nights during the month of October they have what they call pumpkin glow or something like that and it's lots of carved pumpkins that they light up and you can walk around and look at them. There were over 80 of them one year.

magenta
08-22-2007, 07:09 AM
O.K........just had to jump in here.........:bangdesk Whatever happened to the separation of church and state?
The schools here in my area don't celebrate anything.Religion plays no part in it.
You can't please all the different religious people, no matter what you try to do.
Practice your religion freely, but don't expect the whole world to adapt to your beliefs.

This made me think of something that might help OP on halloween. Our public school does not celebrate "halloween". I put that in quotes cuz they do in a roundabout sorta way.

Our school does this: Instead of halloween costumes and a halloween parade, they do a literary parade. All the kids dress up as their favorite book character and parade around out side of the school and up the road. Then they go back to the classroom and have cookies and punch.

So they do get to wear their costumes and get treats they just don't call it a halloween party they call it a literary party.

Hope this helps some.

Starlady01
08-22-2007, 07:35 AM
I remember JW coming to our door when I was a teenager and my mom had studies with them for a short time. I also had 1 or 2 bible studies.

They don't believe in alot of stuff this is true. The lady my mom studied with is now a big figure in the JW world and her son was about my age she wouldn't ask the teacher such, She would just tell her son not to participate in the activities or just keep him home.

Many Religions nowadays don't celebrate Halloween to the the pagan factor.

I have 2 aunts to this day who call me a JW because of my mom study with them when I was very young. I hate speaking on the subject because I have been an outcast my that side of the family because of this simple thing that happened in my youth. I myself consider myself a Christian. As I stated on this board before that I went to a methodist church or Christian churches more then I ever studied with JW.

I'm not a expert on the subject with what little I know.

P.S
I think their hated is deeper then the JW thingie I think it more of jealouse factor if you ask me, can't they come up with something better the LIES.

PrincessArky
08-22-2007, 09:48 AM

The larger schools in my area are like that but since my kids are in a smaller school we still do the seasonal stuff and we still have pray in school and all that sort of stuff I grew up with

Zenngrl
08-22-2007, 10:32 AM
Just to lighten the mood a bit here...

A good friend of mine is a wiccan... yet, they show up for all the college's religious parties, christmas, easter etc...

So, I had always wanted to know, and I finally asked her "Tonya, you always bring your kids to the x-mas party, and the Easter party... being wiccan and not worshiping god, why do you do that ? (She knows me well and knows I am not judging her, and that I love her to death, so, of course she didn't get crappy about it)... and she says "I'm covering all the bases, just in case, ya know !" LOL, I thought it was classic !

If you look back far enough you find that pagan tradition (wicca) celebrated these holidays first, before commercial christianity got ahold of them. Winter Solstice anyone?

cathych
08-22-2007, 03:33 PM
JW is a branch of Christianity. Just like Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians, UU, I could go on & on. This is a listing: http://dir.yahoo.com/Society_and_Culture/Religion_and_Spirituality/Faiths_and_Practices/Christianity/Denominations_and_Sects/?skw=demonations+of+christianity

Char
08-22-2007, 05:23 PM
If you look back far enough you find that pagan tradition (wicca) celebrated these holidays first, before commercial christianity got ahold of them. Winter Solstice anyone?

I agree completely... that's why I was saying that Halloween was not 'born' a christian holiday... but was pagan. I mean, as a kid, I did it myself, I loved it.

But ya know, as adults, we choose what we do... I could care less if my opinion is popluar or whatever, I threw away that insecurity when I grew up, a long time ago...lol, I am just me, and, as an adult, I do whatever I choose to do at a holiday, and I wouldn't even dream of trying to tell someone else what they should do...LOL, I don't celebrate anything just because someone else does...lol, that's like playing follow-the-leader... I am not a follower, never have been. :D

My best friend ever (who died in 2004 of alcoholism at the age of 44... and part of me died with her, we were 'blood sisters'... part of an old 'brotherhood' club) was wiccan in the end, but, before that, like 30 years ago, more like 33 yeara ago, she considered herself an actual witch. Her Dad was, well, not sure of his title, but, he was high into 'black magic'...there was a room in their house that had a huge pentagram drawn into the floor... she would tell me about the rituals and stuff her Dad would have there... and she herself was always having séances and messing with Ouija boards... but we were always best friends.......... I miss her terribly, she died a horrible death.

Candice
08-22-2007, 06:30 PM
It seems that this thread has turned into more of JW bashing than actually helping. I'm not trying to start anything, I just think it's sad some of the things people are saying. I don't think their beliefs are silly simply because I choose to see things differently. I don't agree with many of their beliefs but I would never talk badly about those that follow that religion. We're all free to worship whomever and however we see fit.

And with that being said...

My daughter went to a Christian private school but there were children from different religious backgrounds so when it was time for holiday parties, they did more of a seasonal theme so no one would be left out. For Halloween, they all dressed up as scare crows, they had a party but the parent's were only allowed to bring in seasonal items... like, the Snickers in fall colors or the candies that have fall leaves but obviously, candy with ghosts and jackolanterns were out of the question. We brought in pencils with leaves on them, the leaf shaped erasers in the fall colors,

They still celebrated Valentine's though. Just as they would at a public school, I'm sure. If your child is in public school, you don't HAVE to do anything different. As long as the school allows it (and I'm sure they do), you can do all the "normal' holiday crafts and decorations. Jack o Lanterns, Santas, Reindeer, Ghosts... all that stuff. But, if you don't want to have that little girl be left out, you can PM me and I'll share some of the crafts my daughter did with her class.

I think it's great that you're thinking of this one little girl... goodluck with whatever you decided to do on holidays!

Char
08-22-2007, 06:40 PM
It seems that this thread has turned into more of JW bashing than actually helping. I'm not trying to start anything, I just think it's sad some of the things people are saying. I don't think their beliefs are silly simply because I choose to see things differently. I don't agree with many of their beliefs but I would never talk badly about those that follow that religion. We're all free to worship whomever and however we see fit.

I think it's great that you're thinking of this one little girl... goodluck with whatever you decided to do on holidays!

Very well put, and I totally agree. I would hope, that regardless of what religion someone is, that they get the same respect that we all expect and deserve.... I would NEVER trash another's religion either.

Some people didn't thoroughly read the thread, and thought they were wanting the whole room of children to 'suffer' to pacify the one child... and that was never the case.

I think the masses agreed though, that the answer is simple... while the other kids do holiday things, the one child can do seasonal things... even coloring... fall scenes etc... or crafts with fall leaves, acorns, pumpkins etc...

evrita
08-22-2007, 07:45 PM
OK I am ready for the bashing so get out the whips and chains. JW IMO are not a cult they are just like any other religion. My gram came up and had Christmas dinner with us. When she came by she always left her stuff outside. I grew up learning about the JW religion and it doesnt differ that much from any other religion really. To this day any one of the people in the Kingdon Hall would do anything for me.

Char
08-22-2007, 07:50 PM
OK I am ready for the bashing so get out the whips and chains. JW IMO are not a cult they are just like any other religion. My gram came up and had Christmas dinner with us. When she came by she always left her stuff outside. I grew up learning about the JW religion and it doesnt differ that much from any other religion really. To this day any one of the people in the Kingdon Hall would do anything for me.

Yea, you can't deny that, overall and as a rule, they are fine, fine people.

Jolie Rouge
08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
Goodness - I just wanted some craft ideas and some insight into their beliefs. I didn't mean to begin a a Holy War !

evrita
08-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Here Jolie this might add some insight I hope I dont get flamed for posting it http://www.towerwatch.com/Witnesses/Beliefs/their_beliefs.htm

cathych
08-22-2007, 10:36 PM
for craft ideas, you could definately play up the seasons. You know, leaves for fall, snow flakes for winter. It would be fun to have each of the kids make their own snowflakes, you know, put glitter on them. We do not celebrate Xmas or Easter, but my kids always knew that the other kids around them did, & they learned to be OK with it. You could always decorate with the idea of say, learning about a certain author that month. example: decorate the room with William Shakespere stuff for a couple of months, like Romeo & Juliet stuff. Or maybe, study ppl from medicine, & work with that. I think your best bet is going to be to find out what the kids are doing & go from there.

aussiegirl
08-22-2007, 10:54 PM
Just tell the child's mother to keep the child home that day. I wouldnt even try to figure anything eles out.

Wispy
10-30-2007, 02:50 AM
I don't check out this forum too often so I didn't know this discussion was going on. Otherwise, you would have heard from me sooner.

I am a Jehovah's Witness. If anyone really wants to know what we believe, please go to:

http://www.watchtower.org/

The site listed earlier in this discussion contains inaccurate information.

Yes, we are a real religion. We are Christian and believe in Jesus Christ and accept him as our savior.

In everything we do, we look to the Bible (God's Word) for guidance. All of our beliefs are based on the Bible and not on human ideas or religious traditions.

In my personal experience I have found that many faiths believe that the New Testament is all that is really relevant to Christians, however 2 Tim. 3:16, 17 says, "All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial for teaching, for reproving, for setting things straight, for disciplining in righteousness, that the man of God may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work".

God's name is Jehovah (look up Ps. 83:18; Isa. 26:4; 42:8, AS; Ex. 6:3).

Jesus Christ is God's Son and is inferior to God. Jesus himself said at John 14:28 "... the Father is greater than I am. (also look up Matt. 3:17; John 8:42; 20:17; 1 Cor. 11:3; 15:28).

Christ sacrificed his life as a ransom for obedient humans. Without his sacrifice, we would not have a wonderful future to look forward to, of living in peace in God's Kingdom, with Christ as our King.

There are very valid Biblical reasons as to why we don't celebrate the various holidays you all mentioned. What matters is how God and His son Jesus Christ view such things - not whether they seem okay and acceptable to us.

No 'brain washing' is done in our faith. Children attend all of the Bible studies, sermons, etc that the adults attend. There is no separate 'Sunday school' or class for children. If a child doesn't know why they don't celebrate certain things, they obviously have not paid attention at the Bible studies or their parents have not taken the time to find out if they know why we believe as we do. We are not robots, programmed to perform certain duties or fed information that we MUST follow. We are free to believe or not believe. Nothing is shoved down our throats. You will find that Witnesses really know the Bible as we follow along in the Bible (any translation of the scriptures is acceptable) during the sermon, etc. We are all given time to find the scriptures being read so that we can see what God's word really says on a matter.

The apostle Paul referred to the Beroeans, "They received the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily as to whether these things were so." (Acts 17:11) Jehovah's Witnesses believe that all religious teachings should be verified to see if they are in agreement with the Scriptures.

I have a non Jehovah's Witness friend who is a school teacher. She gives the Witness children the option of going (or staying) home when holiday events and projects are held. I agree with some of you who felt that the mother of the child should have been much more helpful in this matter. Quite frankly, I am very surprised that she wasn't.

I am happy to answer any questions that you cannot find the answer to at:

http://www.watchtower.org/

You may pm me if you wish. Just please don't resort to flaming me. :)

tigger4
10-30-2007, 06:46 AM
Just tell the child's mother to keep the child home that day. I wouldnt even try to figure anything eles out.

Why should a child have to miss a day of school so others can celebrate a party?

We do Harvest parties, winter parties, etc. We have a very diverse group of students in our school and this way everyone gets to be involved.

I think it is unfair and mean to tell a child oh you don't believe like we do so you get to stay home while we have fun.

Jolie- I would stick with leafs, pumpkins, etc. for fall. Snowflakes, snowmen, etc. for winter. In the spring there are flowers and those trees you make with the tissue paper leaves on them. You get the idea? Good luck!

VenuStar
11-01-2007, 05:23 PM
Yes every religion does, but I do not consider JW a religion. Sorry it's just how I feel.

But why?

I've been a JW since I was 7 (36 now). No, I didn't feel left out...b/c I enjoyed going to the library,and that meant I was special. We do things all year long for our kids not just on certain days of the year because retail stores tell us to. I do agree that the mother should have helped you with an idea or something. Yes I'd do anything for my kids (and I do) but there are other safer and more biblical appropriate ways to safe a life without blood. Really, would you physically eat the blood of another person? Technically it's what you're doing when you get a transfusion. Anyway, love and hugs to everyone whether you like it or not, lol.

ahippiechic
11-01-2007, 05:28 PM
But why?

I've been a JW since I was 7 (36 now). No, I didn't feel left out...b/c I enjoyed going to the library,and that meant I was special. We do things all year long for our kids not just on certain days of the year because retail stores tell us to. I do agree that the mother should have helped you with an idea or something. Yes I'd do anything for my kids (and I do) but there are other safer and more biblical appropriate ways to safe a life without blood. Really, would you physically eat the blood of another person? Technically it's what you're doing when you get a transfusion. Anyway, love and hugs to everyone whether you like it or not, lol.

No, it isn't the same, drinking blood and getting a transfusion are 2 very differnt things. . BUT if doing it was the only way to save my child's life, then yes.

Willow
11-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Eating blood is not the same as having a blood transfusion. What a ridiculous statement to make.

VenuStar
11-01-2007, 05:31 PM
there have been a few good posts about using seasonal crafts...you do know that you can do a seasonal craft with the whole class instead of just one child (just another viewpoint...don't hit me):slap

Willow
11-01-2007, 05:33 PM
So the other kids shouldn't celebrate Halloween because of one Jehovah Witness?

PrincessArky
11-01-2007, 05:34 PM
So the other kids shouldn't celebrate Halloween because of one Jehovah Witness?

My daughter had a few in her class that don't I THINK some are holiness and the others are Assembly of God but our schools don't do anything for halloween anymore at all :(

VenuStar
11-01-2007, 05:41 PM
I'll let it rest. Sorry to offended.

ahippiechic
11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
I'll let it rest. Sorry to offended.

You didn't offend. well, not me, anyway!

My DD's charter school only does the seasonal parties, not any religious holdidays. (Not that I think Halloween is one, not even a Pagan one anymore.)

Starlady01
11-02-2007, 07:26 AM
As I stated my mom studied with JW years ago I mean years ago.

I do remember the lady that taught her use to say she still bought turkeys and hams and her son never did without. She said why not buy it's all on sale anyways.

I remember attending a few parties myself during this time. We were told what our religious believe was and to have fun.

Starlady01
11-02-2007, 07:39 AM
No, it isn't the same, drinking blood and getting a transfusion are 2 very differnt things. . BUT if doing it was the only way to save my child's life, then yes.

I was also told this about not having transfusion I was like I'm suppose to let my child die or myself?

I was told don't worry about it the state will step in and order it done anyways.

Char
11-02-2007, 11:50 AM
If you are really interested in the blood issue, maybe check out the website (The Watchtower) that was posted.

See, it's not about blood transfusions, so to speak... I understand completely myself. The bible verse tells christians to "obstain from blood in any form", not, "ok, transfusions are ok, but, eating it is not" etc... it clearly states to "obstain from blood in ANY form".

You might be surprised to know that JW's get the BEST healthcare available. Because they have an entire network of cutting edge doctors, and were pioneers in 'bloodless surgeries' that are SO popular today, that physicians from all over go to watch and learn these bloodless procedures... to be BETTER doctors. Why ? Because patients who get blood take over twice as long to recover, suffer far more complications, and, have a much higher risks of infection and disease. These are all just facts, so really, we all benefit from the scripture when we "obstain from blood in any form", it is better for everyone, not just JW's.

Taking blood is for one thing (ask your doctor), it's to increase blood 'volume'... and that can be done with several different fluids, not just whole blood. Whole blood is just easier (and makes the hospitals a LOT of money). They 'buy' it for $40 a pint, and, you get charged $1000 a pint.
Any nurses out there ? (my hubster is one) You know that, when you give blood, you have to watch the patient for a certain amount of time, in case of reactions.

Ok........................... as I said before, I am NOT a JW, but I appreciate their desire to use the bible as their true guide in life... and you can void everything I said....... and the fact still remains.... they have every right to do as they please with their body............. and we have no right at all to dog them for it.

Kyla Kym
11-02-2007, 11:55 AM
My daughter had a few in her class that don't I THINK some are holiness and the others are Assembly of God but our schools don't do anything for Halloween anymore at all :(

The holiness are heavy here in our area, and they have their own Christians schools now they go to. Can you imagine that where I live at? As tiny as it is? :)
Last I heard they had one in Athens & one in Salem. So I think that's a good solution for parents if their religion is so strict that they don't want their kids around stuff they consider as bad.

I feel it's only bad if you make it bad. I think of Halloween as a fun time of the year for kids to dress up and get candy. A tradition that's been passed down from generation to generation, and to me it means nothing more than what I said. So if you aren't out worshiping the devil on that night, and your just letting the kido's dress up and get candy...then why make it out to be more than it really is? When I was growing up, I can remember having Halloween parties at Church. We had such good clean fun bobbing for apples, and things like that. Then we had a Halloween carnival at the school that was awesome! And all the kids looked forward to it each year. They were so much fun! And I think it's silly to ruin the kids fun, like that. It's only a evil holiday if you make it into one. Which no one I ever knew ever turned it into anything other than a fun night for the kido's.

Some Christians groups tend to focus on to many silly things that don't amount to a hill of beans when you think about it. When what they really need to be doing is keeping their eye's on God and not what their neighbor is wearing. They could be spending that same energy on showing love to their fellow man, in many, many different ways. Which I feel God would appreciate more than if Sally has opened toed shoes on that day or not, or if she made some kid smile by giving them candy. :)

ahippiechic
11-02-2007, 11:58 AM
I don't a problem with their beliefs on the subject of blood. They can do whatever they want with their bodies. I was just responding to the comment about eating blood and that "Technically it's what you're doing when you get a transfusion".

According to their beliefs it might be just as BAD as eating it, just as much a sin or whatever. But technically, eating blood is not the same a getting a transfusion.

Kyla Kym
11-02-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't a problem with their beliefs on the subject of blood. They can do whatever they want with their bodies. I was just responding to the comment about eating blood and that "Technically it's what you're doing when you get a transfusion".

According to their beliefs it might be just as BAD as eating it, just as much a sin or whatever. But technically, eating blood is not the same a getting a transfusion.
It is in the Bible, but please don't ask me where and how it's worded. But it says somewhere in the Bible that the blood is suppose to fall to the ground or something like that. That's where they get it though. It's in the Bible.

Wispy
08-06-2008, 02:46 AM

To use a comparison, consider a man who is told by the doctor that he must abstain from alcohol. Would he be obedient if he quit drinking alcohol but had it put directly into his veins?

The Bible puts abstaining from blood on the same moral level as avoiding fornication. Also, each year thousands die as a result of transfusions; multitudes more get very sick and face long-term consequences. So, even from a physical standpoint, there is wisdom right now in heeding the Biblical command to ‘abstain from blood.’—Acts 15:28,*29. - "For the holy spirit and we ourselves have favored adding no further burden to YOU, except these necessary things, *to keep abstaining from things sacrificed to idols and from blood and from things strangled and from fornication. If YOU carefully keep yourselves from these things, YOU will prosper. Good health to YOU!".

MistyWolf
08-06-2008, 07:57 AM
Geeze why is this being brought back up?? .. :ridinghorse:

flute
08-08-2008, 02:16 PM
There is nothing allowed! Rosina said to look in a handbook to see what it says about JW .. it isn't even an actual religion!

TRUE - they will go OUT OF THEIR WAY to not eat turkey on thanksgiving etc.......

BUTTTT they accept the days off from their employer if it's a holiday & they accept the pay if they get paid holidays off!
And i'm pretty sure their "Church" accepts the state tax breaks all churches are allowed to recieve......

GO FIGURE.

and they preach hatred of others -right on this boards you can read what is said :(

Char
08-08-2008, 07:02 PM
Come on now... some of these statements are just unreal. They don't preach hatred of others... that's ridiculous. They ARE a 'real' religion, that's exactly why they get that tax exempt status, just like all religions.

I would never dare pass judgement on someone's religion, It's just not me.

Char
08-08-2008, 07:05 PM
I think Hippie has the right idea... she may not agree with it 100%, but, she also accepts it for what it is, someone's beliefs. What someone does as part of their religion is up to them. Who are we do judge, without all the wisdom and knowledge you would have to have to pass judgement.

Jolie Rouge
08-08-2008, 08:07 PM
The JW belief is you're going to hell. Need any more answers? www.beliefnet.net is a lot of knowledge on this cult....

Well, if you listen to my mother - "If you are not Catholic, you're going to Hell" If you listen to some Muslims, and you are not a Follower of Allah; you are going to Hell. If you listen to some Baptists, if you don't go to their church to "get saved", you're going to Hell. If you are Methodist, and you don't follow their beliefs, you are going to sit in a committee meeting for eternity.. which is pretty much .. Hell.

I think it is pretty much a dominant theme of most organised religions, if you are not with us... you are against us ... and pretty much going to Hell. They are each and every one the sole holder of the Passage into Paradise ... and it is literaly, their Way or the Highway ... to Hell.

:rules

evrita
08-12-2008, 08:42 PM
TRUE - they will go OUT OF THEIR WAY to not eat turkey on thanksgiving etc.......

BUTTTT they accept the days off from their employer if it's a holiday & they accept the pay if they get paid holidays off!
And i'm pretty sure their "Church" accepts the state tax breaks all churches are allowed to recieve......

GO FIGURE.

and they preach hatred of others -right on this boards you can read what is said :(

I would post you a picture of my grandmother sitting at my dinner table eating a TURKEY dinner with my whole family at thanksgiving and she is a JW GO FIGURE

VenuStar
08-13-2008, 03:48 PM
You know everyone just needs to take a chill pill and leave us JWs alone...I cant remember a time that I've bothered anyone on here or in real life. We're just doing what we think is right by what the Bible says. Get a grip. :headshake

ElleGee
08-13-2008, 04:04 PM
A bit OT

When I was growing up my grandmother (who was married to the Irish catholic) was a JW and she used to have bible study at home with a woman called Mrs. Chin.. Sweetest lady I ever met but she had narcolepsy and drove! OMG I thought she would meet her maker in an accident when she'd fall asleep at the wheel.. I believe she was in her 60's or so not much younger than my grandmother..

My grandmother died when I was 16 and when I was about 30 she was doing the door to door thing they do and she recognized me right away. She was with a younger woman and we sat and had a lovely 2 hour chat (over tea no less lol )about what path I took and how she knew I wasn't JW material LOL and we talked about my grandmother for a long while and it was one of the greatest afternoons I had ever had :)

I don't know if she is still alive b/c she'd be in her 90's now... and I moved since then.. *sigh

ahippiechic
08-13-2008, 04:39 PM
You know everyone just needs to take a chill pill and leave us JWs alone...I cant remember a time that I've bothered anyone on here or in real life. We're just doing what we think is right by what the Bible says. Get a grip. :headshake

No one is 'bothering' the JW, they are discussing their opinions of the religion, that's allowed.

flute
08-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Well, if you listen to my mother - "If you are not Catholic, you're going to Hell" If you listen to some Muslims, and you are not a Follower of Allah; you are going to Hell. If you listen to some Baptists, if you don't go to their church to "get saved", you're going to Hell. If you are Methodist, and you don't follow their beliefs, you are going to sit in a committee meeting for eternity.. which is pretty much .. Hell.

yup - you're 100% right on all accounts!
and PS beliefnet is great for knowledge -

Mom2-3boys
08-19-2008, 06:13 AM
I have no problems with any religion UNTIL they come to my door telling me what I believe is wrong!! Then there's a problem and if they don't want an earful they better turn heals quick! If they come claiming they want to "teach" me about their religion, well if I want to learn about it I will find them!