PDA

View Full Version : OMG it's a kid about to get in the road, no wait it's cardboard

Lasher
08-06-2007, 09:00 AM
http://www.kxly.com/news/?sect_rank=26&section_id=608&story_id=13158

Do you get tired of drivers speeding through your neighborhood? A Cleveland man had a great "two dimensional" idea that's getting people to put on the brakes. But some say it's too deceiving. Mike Wood made life-sized cutouts of kids and then placed them along a busy road. They're so real looking, drivers are slamming on their brakes. Wood came up with the idea, and now people are coming from all over the country to buy the cutouts for their neighborhood. But some drivers say the kid cutouts are too deceiving and could cause accidents. Even the maker admits his new creation makes him uneasy at times, because the photos look so real.

http://www.yahoo.com/s/645090
Realistic cardboard cutouts of kids are causing drivers to slow down in one neighborhood

pepperpot
08-06-2007, 09:48 AM
I'd hate to be behind the guy who for no reason slams on his brakes!

It also desensitizes drivers who now 'expect' the kids by the road to be cardboard.....

It's a well meant attempt, but has serious flaws.....:(

Jolie Rouge
08-06-2007, 01:05 PM
how about a cardboard motorcycle cop ....

freeby4me
08-06-2007, 06:45 PM
how about a cardboard motorcycle cop ....

Yea that would be much better....people slowing down to the speed limit, not slamming on the breaks for a kid who might run out into the road.

kyswpgrl
08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
Honestly, I see mostly bad coming of this. Good idea in theory, but it seems the reactions of these drivers can cause more damage than good.

PrincessArky
08-06-2007, 07:18 PM
his heart is in the right place but his brain isnt

janelle
08-06-2007, 11:57 PM
IMO the trouble stems from the speed limit going from 55 to 35 so abruptly. That to me is a speed trap. That will cause more accidents and then putting these cardboards out will make drivers slam on their brakes. I would not want to live in that location.