PDA

View Full Version : Los Angeles grandmother sold heroin with grandkids

Jolie Rouge
07-31-2007, 09:27 PM
Los Angeles grandmother sold heroin with grandkids
By Dan Whitcomb
Tue Jul 31, 5:05 PM ET

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - A 39-year-old grandmother accused of selling heroin on the streets of a Los Angeles suburb with her 11-year-old granddaughter as a lookout has been arrested on drug and child endangerment charges, police said on Tuesday.

Undercover officers watched for two weeks as Martha Gutierrez Novas sold heroin at a bus stop in Long Beach, south of Los Angeles, clutching a brown and white Chihuahua and often with her granddaughter at her side, a police spokesman said. "The granddaughter acted as a lookout, standing at the corner of the building looking, I assume, for police officers," said Sgt. Paul LeBaron, a Long Beach spokesman. "It's horrible. Absolutely horrible. I've never seen anything this blatant. She just didn't even care."

Novas was found with a bag of heroin and cocaine when she was taken into custody on Monday, LeBaron said, and a search of her home turned up two ounces of heroin and a large amount of cash.

He said Novas, who faces charges of drug sales and possession as well as child endangerment and was being held on $100,000 bail, refused to tell police who was supplying her with the drugs.

LeBaron said that Novas' immigration status was under investigation and that Child and Family Services officials were also probing the matter.

He said Novas also sometimes sold drugs with her 4-year-old granddaughter present. Neither child was charged. "This lady was pretty much going to the same spot all day long during the daylight hours selling to a large clientele," LeBaron said. "Any time during the day you could go out there and find her."

It was not clear how much jail time Novas could face, if convicted.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070731/us_nm/grandmother_drugs_dc;_ylt=Arf1OpF.82kaVfOZ4PWnLINH 2ocA

freeby4me
08-01-2007, 04:28 AM
At 39 im not surprised...I was thinking a 50-60ish granny out there. Its still sick that she had her 11 year old granddaughter as the look-out, sick all around.

Adra
08-01-2007, 04:49 AM
Her granddaughter is 11 and she is 39 that means that she was 28 when her granddaughter was born!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was 26 when my first child was born. And 28 when my 2nd child was born. How young was she when she had her first child?????? Unbelievable.

OK I know that is totally off the topic, but the first thing I thought was ---had to be a typo.

I see some type of disfunctional family situation going on here, starting with the 39 yr. olds parents. Just my opinion.

When I was younger and drank I did not want my children to even see me drinking I would put it in a glass so they would not see, even though they were like 2 and 4 at the time. And this woman sells drugs with her grand child?????

Val1
08-01-2007, 07:19 AM
i also think the age of the grandmother says a lot. It is likely that this woman had a child around 14 years old, and her daughter did the same. With babies raising babies, generation after generation, is it any wonder so many people are making this terribly unwise decisions?

Sad.

Jolie Rouge
08-01-2007, 11:36 AM
i also think the age of the grandmother says a lot. It is likely that this woman had a child around 14 years old, and her daughter did the same. With babies raising babies, generation after generation, is it any wonder so many people are making this terribly unwise decisions?

Sad.

terribly unwise decisions?

you're kidding ? right ?

A terribly unwise decisions is wearing sock with sandals or black undergarments with a white top or shorts. Making a career of selling illegal narcotics with your minor grandchildren as part of your criminal enterprise goes WAY beyond a "terribly unwise decision"

JMHO.

Adra
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
I don't think she meant to minimize the seriousness of the crime. I myself feel a bit of compassion for all the unwise decisions from 30 yrs. ago that led to this woman not caring about herself or her grandchildren. It started a long time ago because of someones unwise decisions.

Val1
08-01-2007, 12:36 PM
The terribly unwise decisions I was referring to are having a child as a young teenager and providing a role model for that child to do the same.

Selling drugs is a crime. Involving your grandchild while you perpetrate that crime is a travesty.

I was referring to the unwise decisions that seem to have predicated the crime from the time this grandmother was a teen herself. That clear enough for you?

And thank you Adra, that was what I meant. :)

Jolie Rouge
08-01-2007, 01:58 PM
The terribly unwise decisions I was referring to are having a child as a young teenager and providing a role model for that child to do the same.

Selling drugs is a crime. Involving your grandchild while you perpetrate that crime is a travesty.

I was referring to the unwise decisions that seem to have predicated the crime from the time this grandmother was a teen herself.

THAT I can agree with !

That clear enough for you?

Crystal.

Thank you.

I just get so tired of the "blame the victim, pity the poor oppressed criminal" mindset ....

Adra
08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
Jolie Rouge-You and I are so much in agreement with that, I think you read my mind. Regardless of a bad childhood or bad parents or whatever, each person can choose or not choose. I had a most horrific childhood and while I was filled with hate at one time, and yes I most definitly wanted the person that had hurt me so much, shot I had enough sense not to do it. I made a choice.

Val1
08-01-2007, 04:35 PM
THAT I can agree with !

Crystal.

Thank you.

I just get so tired of the "blame the victim, pity the poor oppressed criminal" mindset ....

I totally understand your POV. :)

I think it is possible to pity someone and STILL HOLD THEM FULLY ACCOUNTABLE for their crime. I have known some kids at school who went down bad roads by their own choices, and while my heart broke for them in some ways (absentee or poor parents, neglect, abuse, etc.) I still felt that those things do not EXCUSE criminal acts. It can help explain why it happened, and i can still feel sorry for the perpetrator, but that does not get them off the hook for their acts.

I had a 12 year old girl in my 7th grade class who was pregnant. She was a sweet girl, not the brightest, not the dumbest, but a decent kid. She was living with her mid 40s grandma (Mom had flown the coop with a boyfriend and had reliquished custody due to drugs), who was also raising her 15 year old cousin who had two children. You could just see history repeating itself over and over. :( While I could on one hand laud the grandma for going out to work to help support these two children and THEIR children, part of me was going, "After three generations of teen pregnancies, shouldn't SOMEBODY in this house have started preaching more sensible choices to these girls?" Sad!!!!