PDA

View Full Version : Group to deliver Bibles with newspapers : Good Idea or Not ?

Jolie Rouge
07-31-2007, 09:03 PM
Group to deliver Bibles with newspapers
By MATT CURRY, Associated Press Writer
40 minutes ago

FORT WORTH, Texas - Everything from detergent to computer discs is packaged with the Sunday newspaper. So why not Bibles?

A Christian ministry wants to deliver custom-designed New Testaments to newspaper subscribers around the country as part of an effort to find innovative ways to spread a Christian message. But even in the Bible Belt, not everyone thinks that's a good idea.

International Bible Society-Send the Light is planning on spending hundreds of thousands of dollars to distribute Bibles with 11 newspapers during 2007 and 2008. New Testaments would be packaged in pouches on the outside of newspapers, much like soap or other sample products.

The Fort Worth Star-Telegram announced in May it would deliver more than 200,000 New Testaments the last Sunday of the year. David House, the newspaper's reader advocate, said he received about 70 e-mails split between backers and those opposed to packaging the scriptures with newspapers.

"Do you have any idea how blatantly offensive this boneheaded move is to the thinking public?" a Fort Worth reader wrote in one of several letters to the editor on the topic.

Some of the outcry has come from one of the least likely sources — Christians. Bob Ray Sanders, the Star-Telegram's vice president and associate editor, said some worried that the Bibles tossed on the lawn with the newspaper would be thrown away because most people already own a Bible.

"I expected that we'd get some criticism, but I thought it would be coming from people who were not Christian or not religious at all. Many of the complaints we got were from people who were Christian and didn't like the idea," said Sanders.

After an initial outcry in May, the paper told subscribers they could opt out of the delivered Bibles, which include the New Testament and local Christian testimony.

One reader wondered if he could halt other newspaper ads he doesn't like.

"Please note on my account that I want to receive the New Testament and 'opt out' of all other forms of unwanted solicitation and advertising. I want no toxic hair cream, no aspartame-filled gum or any other form of unwanted advertising and solicitation," he wrote.

The Colorado-based International Bible Society published the New International Version of the Bible in 1978, and is one of the world's largest translators and distributors of scriptures. The group merged with Carlisle, England-based Send the Light, one of the largest distributors of Christian literature, earlier this year.

The Bible ministry's "City Reachers" project aims to reach newspaper subscribers in eight regions next year, according to its Web site. Three others, including the one in Fort Worth, are scheduled this year.

But fundraising for the projects has been slow. None has raised even half the money needed to finance the initiative yet. In Fort Worth, the group faces an Oct. 31 deadline to raise $438,000; so far, only a little more than $13,000 has been collected through church offerings and other efforts.

If the money can't be raised, the project may be delayed.

The society's Paul Tolleson said major fundraising in Fort Worth and other cities has only just begun. Some campaigns already have been delayed, but none have been canceled.

Tolleson expressed frustration with the complaints. "It's disappointing that anyone would object to getting a Bible, which is the best read book in the whole world and has been for hundreds of years. They have the right to do with it what they want to," he said. "Do they object to getting a bag of Quaker oatmeal or Tide detergent or an AOL disc?"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070731/ap_on_re_us/bibles_in_newspapers;_ylt=AmxSWxbWqGfBmHhmUJ7IL1pH 2ocA

On the Net:

City Reachers: http://www.ibs.org/cityreachers/index.php

Tolleson expressed frustration with the complaints. "It's disappointing that anyone would object to getting a Bible, which is the best read book in the whole world and has been for hundreds of years. They have the right to do with it what they want to," he said. "Do they object to getting a bag of Quaker oatmeal or Tide detergent or an AOL disc?"

This actually illustrates my reservations - the Bible should be treated with more respect then a throw-away giveway. I would think a postcard you could mail in for a free Bible would put more books in the hands that want them and fewer in the rubbish bin. - JMHO

Char
07-31-2007, 11:59 PM
I see no problem with it at all... hey, why not, it may be just what someone needs. And if not, or if it offends you, just toss it in the trash.

I get stuff in my mailbox, door etc... all the time (it's called junk mail ! LOL), from assorted groups, businesses etc...some I read, some I trash, I don't get bent out of shape over it, life is WAY too short for that !

Heidi
08-01-2007, 08:31 AM
I would rather a bible be sent to me in the mail or delivered with my newspaper than some person coming up to my door and wanting to talk religion with me and offer me a bible.

freeby4me
08-01-2007, 08:41 AM
I would rather a bible be sent to me in the mail or delivered with my newspaper than some person coming up to my door and wanting to talk religion with me and offer me a bible.

Good point...theres nothing worse than having someone come and talk about Hell and brimstone and burning for eternity LOL

Jolie Rouge
08-01-2007, 10:49 AM
I see no problem with it at all... hey, why not, it may be just what someone needs. And if not, or if it offends you, just toss it in the trash.

That is what I have a concern about - the Bible should not be tossed in the trash. If you equate the value of a Bible with an AOL disc, you are not giving it much value at all.

BeanieLuvR
08-01-2007, 12:24 PM
That is what I have a concern about - the Bible should not be tossed in the trash. If you equate the value of a Bible with an AOL disc, you are not giving it much value at all.

That's how I feel about it too.

ahippiechic
08-01-2007, 12:50 PM

Some people don't believe any of what is written in the Bible, to them it would be like tossing a magazine away. Why shouldn't they toss it, it's just a book.

I voted to only send one to those who wanted one. Sending to everyone is going to create waste and offend some people.

Jolie Rouge
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
Some people don't believe any of what is written in the Bible, to them it would be like tossing a magazine away. Why shouldn't they toss it, it's just a book.

To some it is just a book. To the people sending it out it is Holy Gospel and THEY should treat it as such. To send to it those who may find it offensive ( Muslim, Jewish, Wiccan, Hindu, ect) is rude, presumptious, and a waste of a good book ( pun intended ) It may not be a crime to toss a bible in the trash ... but here in the US of A it would now a "hate crime" to toss a Koran in one.

http://www.bigbigforums.com/news-information/551683-these-hate-crime-america.html

ahippiechic
08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
To some it is just a book. To the people sending it out it is Holy Gospel and THEY should treat it as such. To send to it those who may find it offensive ( Muslim, Jewish, Wiccan, Hindu, ect) is rude, presumptious, and a waste of a good book ( pun intended ) It may not be a crime to toss a bible in the trash ... but here in the US of A it would now a "hate crime" to toss a Koran in one.

http://www.bigbigforums.com/news-information/551683-these-hate-crime-america.html

That's what I was saying.

And as far as a hate crime, I posted my opinion in that thread.

Val1
08-01-2007, 04:27 PM
I'd rather see them OFFER the bible to those subscribers who contacted them and used the rest of the money to help those in need in other ways - charity is as much a Christian value as passing out the Bible.

ahippiechic
08-01-2007, 04:46 PM
I'd rather see them OFFER the bible to those subscribers who contacted them and used the rest of the money to help those in need in other ways - charity is as much a Christian value as passing out the Bible.

Nice idea.

Lasher
08-02-2007, 07:31 AM

That's what I was thinking, that's alot of money that could be put to other uses.

cathych
08-03-2007, 03:29 PM
I am not a Christain, but I would never ever throw a bible in the trash. I do not think of it as just a book. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

tngirl
08-04-2007, 05:04 AM
I am not a Christain, but I would never ever throw a bible in the trash. I do not think of it as just a book. However, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

That is nice that you respect the Bible as such. Most people though that are not Christian would just toss it as someone said "junk mail" and others, not necessarily offended, but would take the idea as an insult or as another way of those "christians" pushing their beliefs down their throat. I think sending out a post card would be a much better idea, say maybe with an unlimited # of Bibles that could be ordered so they can give them to people that may want them.

Char
08-04-2007, 08:40 AM

Nope, not me... to me the bible is #1... I was referring to those who don't feel that same... if it really offends them, they could just trash it, other than whine about it, get offended, sue them or something like that.

And, that's also kind of my point... some people don't value the bible at all, in fact, they would rather have the AOL disc ! That's the thing about America, everyone has a right to their own personal belief.

Another thing... if they are handing it out as a freebie with the paper, just like they give shampoo samples, what value are THEY giving the bible as well ?

But, I totally understand what they are 'wanting' to do... it is in good faith.

YankeeMary
08-04-2007, 08:49 AM
I understand what you all are saying about people not wanting them then they might just throw them away. But just maybe and this might be their thought behind it...maybe one or two lost souls might actually read it and through their act of kindness of giving away free Bibles, they might accept Jesus and have eternal life in Heaven. Just a thought.

Adra
08-04-2007, 08:54 AM
Before I became a Christian I would not have appreciated anyone giving me a bible, Now after just a little over 2 years I have many bibles-one that stays at church all the time, small one, big one, students bible, red letter bible, etc. But I would not have wanted one before and now I really don't need one. I did have a big coffe table type family bible before I got saved, given to me as a gift, and put away.

If one bible gets into the hands of someone and it leads them to give their heart to God then it would be worth a thousand thrown in the trash.

The bible (book) itself is not important, it is how we as God fearing people perceve it to be. It is what we have in our heart that makes that one book so important. I value my bible but if my house caught on fire I would get baby hubby and me out and I would not even think of the bible.

Char
08-04-2007, 09:14 AM
I understand what you all are saying about people not wanting them then they might just throw them away. But just maybe and this might be their thought behind it...maybe one or two lost souls might actually read it and through their act of kindness of giving away free Bibles, they might accept Jesus and have eternal life in Heaven. Just a thought.

That's what I said in my OP Mary... that just maybe it'll get to a few who really need it.

Char
08-04-2007, 09:17 AM
If one bible gets into the hands of someone and it leads them to give their heart to God then it would be worth a thousand thrown in the trash.

Very well put.

BeanieLuvR
08-04-2007, 10:46 AM

A very good thought at that. :)