PDA

View Full Version : Off to West Virginia

taz69
07-28-2007, 04:12 PM
The kids and I are off to West Virginia tomorrow, in my new car, to go visit hubby! he is working up there, repairing wind turbines, but has mon & tue off, so we are gonna drive up and suprize him. he thinks the kids are still in band camp, and that we can't come. His co-worker has made plans for us to go horseback riding, and is gonna make sure hubby doesn't take off exploring on his days off. Can't wait till morning! Will be back for my dose of BBF on Wed night.

freeby4me
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
Wow that sounds like a blast!! Have a great time!!

Tasha405
07-28-2007, 04:15 PM
So very cool! What part of WV are you going to? I was born and raised in Logan county and my Dh was born and raised in Mingo county. :)

I hope you have a great trip and yall get to enjoy your time together! :)

taz69
07-28-2007, 05:43 PM
He is in davis-I have no idea, just map quest directions and a phone # to call when I get lost/LOL.:stupido2:

Lori63
07-28-2007, 06:26 PM
I was raised in the northern panhandle and spent time in Wetzel county and went to WVU. Hubby is from Morgantown.
Have fun!

ahippiechic
07-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Have a safe trip!

Angelseyes28
07-28-2007, 07:13 PM
Oh girl I hope you have a blast!!!!!!!:hug

Char
07-28-2007, 08:20 PM
Ah ! at Davis, you are right beside Blackwater Falls (that's where the horseback riding is too)! BEAUTIFUL area ! Real fine tiny town... I want to live there myself... I am there at least twice a year. Hey, that is big time bear country too ! I saw my very first bear in the wild there, it walked right behind our truck... it was a big one too !

I have been to those windmills plenty of times, that must be the turbines he's working on.

If you go 9 miles south of there, you should eat at Big John's country fixin's, the BEST steak panini I have ever had, it's HUGE too ! They also have a whole area for kids, kinda like Chuck E Cheese... you are also next to Dolly Sods... awesome place !

You will have a great time ! How neat to surprise him !

YankeeMary
07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
How nice of you to sneak to see him, I know he will be thrilled. I hope you all have a great time. My sister (WVCindy) lives in St. Mary's, WV and My mom and brother live in Parkersburg and my Niece and her family live in Mineral Wells. Lots of West "by God" Virginians on BBS.

aussiegirl
07-28-2007, 08:54 PM
Have fun

Char
07-28-2007, 09:31 PM
How nice of you to sneak to see him, I know he will be thrilled. I hope you all have a great time. My sister (WVCindy) lives in St. Mary's, WV and My mom and brother live in Parkersburg and my Niece and her family live in Mineral Wells. Lots of West "by God" Virginians on BBS.

I am in the P-burg too ya know... we talked about this ages ago, but, I can't remember the family names you gave me.

YankeeMary
07-29-2007, 08:07 AM
I am in the P-burg too ya know... we talked about this ages ago, but, I can't remember the family names you gave me.

I am going up home on Aug 6th and will be there for a week (Highschool reunion...woo hoo. I went to Belpre.) Anyways, we should meet for lunch one day, that would be nice.

taz69
08-01-2007, 01:47 PM
We are back and had a blast! hubby was suprized, and we had a great time! Char-we were actually at Deerfield resort, about 1/2 mile form Johns restaurant-you are right-GREAT food! We went horseback riding, rode the ski lift and hiked around the top there. Beautiful country, but sooooo HUMID right now!

Char
08-01-2007, 04:01 PM
We are back and had a blast! hubby was suprized, and we had a great time! Char-we were actually at Deerfield resort, about 1/2 mile form Johns restaurant-you are right-GREAT food! We went horseback riding, rode the ski lift and hiked around the top there. Beautiful country, but sooooo HUMID right now!

Great ! So glad you had a good time... That is a wonderful area !

Yea, it only gets humid up there a few weeks a year, and the past 5 days have been killer.

I know Deerfield well ! Did any of you have a Panini at Big John's fixin's ??? They are the best ! In fact, hubster wants to drive over there this weekend JUST FOR a Big John's panini !! lol

You saw those HUGE rental houses there in the Canaan Valley area ? (which are all around Big John's) That's where we have a time share on a house... we go for a week 3 times a year... we love the fall there, like late September, to late October... cool, and, hot tub on the back deck... it is amazing.

We were there in early April this year, and got a foot of snow while we were there ! :D Love it !

taz69
08-01-2007, 05:58 PM
We ate there 3 times! LOL I had the panini (steak and pepper) once, corned beef and swice once, and we had pizza before we left-it was all great! How about those fish outside by the patio! I think hubby and kids fed those catfish half their food.

taz69
08-01-2007, 05:59 PM
If you are going in the next month or 2, let me know-can get you an up close tour of the turbines if you want.

lymi
08-01-2007, 06:00 PM
awesome

Char
08-02-2007, 08:54 AM
If you are going in the next month or 2, let me know-can get you an up close tour of the turbines if you want.

I never know when we are going until about a week before... we are VERY 'spur of the moment' people... no kids will do that to ya ! lol

Those things sound like the pulse of the earth to me. Just standing near them, you feel their power all through your body. They are HUGE !

How long will your hubster be there ??? I know we will go late September through October.

taz69
08-02-2007, 10:05 AM
He will probably be there. Just let me know when you are going, if he's still there, will arrange a meet, or give you his number or something.

shellysms
08-03-2007, 05:46 AM
i'm in morgantown, WV right now..been here 2 weeks..have one more week left. It's been really nice here...we went swimming twice this week!

Char
08-03-2007, 05:15 PM
i'm in morgantown, WV right now..been here 2 weeks..have one more week left. It's been really nice here...we went swimming twice this week!

The only time I make it to Morgantown is for football games and the university hospital.

It's a small town... college town, and very hilly area. I like it though ! :D

mamalamas
08-03-2007, 05:22 PM
Drive carefully and have a great time~!

yelrihs61
08-08-2007, 06:38 AM
My family has lived in West Virginia all our lives but we've never been to Blackwater Falls. My son took his family there this past weekend and came back so excited. The pics he took were awesome. He promised to take me some day. West Virginia is a beautiful state.Welcome, y'all.:flowers:

dangerousfem
09-02-2007, 06:25 AM
The only time I make it to Morgantown is for football games and the university hospital.

It's a small town... college town, and very hilly area. I like it though ! :D

Not so small anymore... I grew up in Morgantown (Cheat Lake area) Then moved back several times..LOL Live in NC now... but we just came back from visiting hubbys family up there... It is such a beautiful state... I always love seeing it again... but don't want to live there anymore..LOL Give me the warm weather and the beach.. no getting snowed in for a week and ice and snow and slush...

Char
09-02-2007, 03:44 PM
Not so small anymore... I grew up in Morgantown (Cheat Lake area) Then moved back several times..LOL Live in NC now... but we just came back from visiting hubbys family up there... It is such a beautiful state... I always love seeing it again... but don't want to live there anymore..LOL Give me the warm weather and the beach.. no getting snowed in for a week and ice and snow and slush...

LOL ! I love the snow ! I wish we got more ! I live in the valley, in Parkersburg, and we don't get anywhere near as much snow as Morgantown... and I'm sure the Cheat Lake area gets even more...

Hey, how 'bout them Mountaineers ! So far, so good... what was it the other night... 62 to 24 over Western Michigan... sweet. :D

dangerousfem
09-02-2007, 03:52 PM
Yep.. we have a kick butt team again this year!!!

The only bad thing about living in the south is we don't get to see a lot of the games.. since most of them are only broadcast on local channels up there.. so we have to wait for the Espn games to see our Mountaineers play.