PDA

View Full Version : Mental Illness

bears984
07-17-2007, 11:52 PM
Has anyone been married to someone that you just knew that they were some how mentaly ill? How do you deal with that person when they think they are NORMAL?

DonnaWV
07-18-2007, 04:35 AM
I am not married to someone with Mental Illness, but I do care for 2 people who are, one is MR, but the other has many issues, she is very intelegent (sp), and I am not sure she knows she is ill, even tho the Dr. has told her. I wish I could tell you something to help you, the only thing I could tell you is take him to a Dr, and get some help. Good luck

freeby4me
07-18-2007, 04:38 AM
If you are unsure then I would highly suggest getting the help of a Mental Professional. I wouldnt know what else to suggest, (((HUGS)))

kabcrisp
07-18-2007, 06:46 AM
OP!

It really ironic that you ask this question because I KNOW the person I am married to is mentally ill and he is trying to make me think I am the one losing my mind.

Along with prayer the only advice I have for you is remove yourself from the situation. Limit contact and encourage that person to get help.

It hurts me that I cannot help him, but I can't afford to be brought down by his mental issues. I've been a victim of his actions for way to long.

Good luck. If you'd like to PM me, I am in oklahoma as well. . .Please do!

IthinkNOT!
07-18-2007, 07:17 AM
OP!

It really ironic that you ask this question because I KNOW the person I am married to is mentally ill and he is trying to make me think I am the one losing my mind.

Along with prayer the only advice I have for you is remove yourself from the situation. Limit contact and encourage that person to get help.

It hurts me that I cannot help him, but I can't afford to be brought down by his mental issues. I've been a victim of his actions for way to long.

Good luck. If you'd like to PM me, I am in oklahoma as well. . .Please do!

I agree with this!! I was just with someone for a year and a half, that had mental problems, and tried to make me think it was all me. The only way the person is going to get help is when they are ready to admit something is wrong. I thought the majority of my ex bf's problems were due to drug addiction, and thought that when he got clean everything would be better. Boy was I wrong. Now he is clean, and has the Lord in his life, which I thought was great... until he told me I was going to hell for my cheating ways, and that he hoped I died of AIDS... When I asked him why he thought I was cheating, he said the Lord showed him... He wont admit he needs any help, and I've realized that I can't make him get help. That doesn't make it any better to watch him go through his own personal he**. It is your personal decision weather to stay or not, all you can do is recomemmend they get help, but until they are ready it wont happen. Just make sure and take care of you first!

sea-shell
07-18-2007, 07:21 AM
I totally agree with everyone - my ex husband had a lot of mental issues - he made me think it was me :2in1: - I had to divorce him to save my sanity - I honestly mean that too!

kabcrisp
07-18-2007, 07:22 AM
It's actually so comforting knowing I am not alone. . .

I am dealing with a bunch of stuff mostly due to my hopefully soon to be ex, and this OP asks that simple question and all of a sudden I have renewed hope in my own situation.

This board is great becasue just when I begin to think I am the only one. . .someone reassures me that I am not.

I can't thank everyone enough.

PrincessArky
07-18-2007, 11:48 AM
Never married to someone with a mental illness but my hubby is lol

janelle
07-18-2007, 12:20 PM
My cousin dated a guy who had "issues". That is the new word now. At least for those who are having problems.

He could jump on someone in a second and tell them off when they didn't even do anything to him. Like a waitress, when they were at a restaurant on a date.

Thank God she never married him. Sad to say he killed himself. Not sure if he ever went for help. If he was paranoid it would be a very hard life with no one wanting to be his friend.

janelle
07-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Never married to someone with a mental illness but my hubby is lol

:rolling :rolling

bears984
07-18-2007, 06:34 PM
I have really thought about leaving him he is making me and my kids want to chop off his head just so he will not speak anymore. And he really thinks there is nothing wrong with him and there are several people telling him oh there is. Even his mother and our pastor.

fjp999
07-18-2007, 08:07 PM
A while ago I was involved in a hit and run and was offered psychiatric care... it got boring talking about the accident so the therapist suggested I invite my partner. He only joined in one session because the therapist said that he really needed help and was lying to himself. He was actually caught in a lie during therapy and would not admit what had just happened...

If the person cant accept a professionals opinion they will never be helped.

Good luck in your care,
frank

janelle
07-18-2007, 09:42 PM
If you can't get the person to go then go yourself. It can wear you down living with it day after day and you need coping skills to deal with it.

YankeeMary
07-18-2007, 09:52 PM
www.nami.org go to a local support group meeting. It is a wonderful organization. These people have been there done that and if they can't help you and yours then no one can. I am the president of our local chapter and without them, I truly do not know where our family would be. I also worked for NAMI Georgia. I don't know everything, far from it, but I have alot of education, schooling and first hand experience in dealing with the mentally ill, feel free to pm me and if I can help I will, if not I WILL find someone that can answer any questions you have. I wish you the best as well as the others that have posted in this thread. Mental illness is horrible to have to live and deal with especially not medicated. Its horrible for everyone, especially the one suffering.

janelle
07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?section=your_local_NAMI

Here are the locations. Located in each state. I hope they can help you. Thanks Mary.

bears984
07-18-2007, 11:38 PM
thank you there is not one close to my area I really wish that there was but I think I am going to go to the hospital and see if they offer and classes here

YankeeMary
07-19-2007, 06:24 AM
thank you there is not one close to my area I really wish that there was but I think I am going to go to the hospital and see if they offer and classes here

You can call the closest one to you and they should be able to give you local resources.

bears984
07-19-2007, 06:27 AM
okay I will do that

YankeeMary
07-19-2007, 06:29 AM
okay I will do that

Its a great start. We are all pulling for you!!!