PDA

View Full Version : car seat ??

IthinkNOT!
07-15-2007, 04:07 PM
My friend just went to wal-mart and bought a booster seat for his daughter. His problem is that his jeep only has lap belts in the rear, and not shoulder harness, is is still legal and safe for his daughter to be in the booster seat with no shoulder harness?

YankeeMary
07-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Possibly if it is in the back seat. I think it varies from state to state.

lizmolik
07-15-2007, 04:22 PM
Possibly if it is in the back seat. I think it varies from state to state.

Yup thats true!!!

JKATHERINE
07-15-2007, 04:31 PM
Yikes! I don't know how old his daughter is, or what her weight is, but I would not put my child in any kind of vehicle where she could not wear a shoulder belt...that's just not safe IMO.

IthinkNOT!
07-15-2007, 04:36 PM
OK, called the local police station, and they said she can't be in a booster seat by our laws until she is 4 or 40 pounds, until then she has to be in a "forward facing child restraint" with shoulder harnesses. As for not having rear shoulder harnesses, his is an older vehicle that didn't come with them, and at this point he has no option of buying a different vehicle, so we are trying to make his daughter as safe as possible with what he has to work with. Thanks for all the help!

buttrfli
07-15-2007, 04:45 PM
If hes handy with tools, there are seatbelt kits that he can buy for less than $25 and install a new seatbelt w/ shoulder harness.

My dad bought one a few summers ago to put in the back seat of his old van and it took him about 20 minutes to install it.

YankeeMary
07-16-2007, 10:32 AM
If hes handy with tools, there are seatbelt kits that he can buy for less than $25 and install a new seatbelt w/ shoulder harness.

My dad bought one a few summers ago to put in the back seat of his old van and it took him about 20 minutes to install it.

I didn't know this. How cool. You are always a wealth of information.

Jolie Rouge
07-16-2007, 11:09 AM
Take the car seat and the Jeep in question to your local pollice, fire, or sherrif's and ask them what is the SAFEST way to install this to protect a child of X age and X weight. He will get the info he needs...

dinosmom
07-16-2007, 11:24 AM
My boyfriends brother has an older Jeep and he was able to get a shoulder harness kit to install so he could have the shoulder harnesses in it. He said he took it to the dealer to have it installed so it was done properly. I think they have to drill thru the floorboards or something.