PDA

View Full Version : numbers starting with 555- are fake! BEWARE

boopster
07-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Yesterday I received a phone call with the number 555-1000 where the automated message was an advertisement for some carpet cleaner company. I spoke with my phone supplier and it was also confirmed with the state police that numbers starting with 555 are fake and not to answer the call and definitely not give out any info.

The scary part is there doesn't seem to be anything that can be done about these people who perpetrate the system in order to scam the gullible. So all we can do is to be vigilant and not be sucked into any illegal schemes.

Kelsey1224
07-10-2007, 02:15 PM
I've always know that phone numbers starting with "555" are fake. That's why these numbers are used in movies and television shows.

freeby4me
07-10-2007, 02:16 PM
Thats a good idea. Its sad that some people dont have caller ID though so its always a good idea to never give out information if you dont know for sure who it is.

Shann
07-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I've always know that phone numbers starting with "555" are fake. That's why these numbers are used in movies and television shows.

yep, don't know how the company could use that number though to show up on your caller id :confused: :rules

myashley89
07-10-2007, 02:29 PM
my m-i-l got a call once that said she was supposed to show up for jury duty, and she may get into trouble since she didn't show up, they wanted her ssn to verify it was her and she said no way....she later called up the courts and it was a fake call....good thing she didn't give out her ssn!!! I give out nothing to anyone on the phone!!

freeby4me
07-10-2007, 02:32 PM
my m-i-l got a call once that said she was supposed to show up for jury duty, and she may get into trouble since she didn't show up, they wanted her ssn to verify it was her and she said no way....she later called up the courts and it was a fake call....good thing she didn't give out her ssn!!! I give out nothing to anyone on the phone!!

Holy crap, my grandma has the same thing happen to her.

I was just about to post that i've gotten numbers on my caller ID that are all zero's...its like "Im not answering that, nuh uh"

sdb_ngc
07-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Hold on yall... they are not fake. I work at a call center and our calls are routed through a T1 and when I call home 555-555-5555 shows up on the caller ID. I am not sure why it is that way but yall got me to thinking so I will inquire. I think that the calls you are getting are also being routed that way.

ahippiechic
07-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Hold on yall... they are not fake. I work at a call center and our calls are routed through a T1 and when I call home 555-555-5555 shows up on the caller ID. I am not sure why it is that way but yall got me to thinking so I will inquire. I think that the calls you are getting are also being routed that way.

Yes, when my BF worked for IBM all his calls from work were all 5's.

freeby4me
07-10-2007, 04:55 PM

Can you inquire about the all zero's for me too? I was a little weirded out by that LOL

Jolie Rouge
07-10-2007, 07:23 PM
Gotta love Snopes

Fraudsters dupe unwary by telling they they've failed to report for jury duty?
http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/juryduty.asp

Has Alicia Keys' song 'Diary' prompted calls to her old phone number?
...of calls to her old phone number. Origins: The television and film industries learned long ago that mentioning a phone number in a TV program or...to dial the number in pursuit of some silly amusement, so they restricted themselves to employing numbers beginning with the mostly unused 555 prefix to......end of those prank calls. (These days the 555 prefix is used for real numbers, but the 555-0100 to 555-0199 range is still reserved for the use ...
Tue, 10 Jul 2007 11:22:37 GMT http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/diary.asp

iluvmybaby
07-10-2007, 09:49 PM

Call me stupid, but I didn't know that:hmpf:

Thanks for the info! you rock!

:star:

kelblend
07-11-2007, 10:41 PM
Holy crap, my grandma has the same thing happen to her.

I was just about to post that i've gotten numbers on my caller ID that are all zero's...its like "Im not answering that, nuh uh"

I've also gotten calls with all zeroes. I've called back a number on my caller ID to see who it was only to be told that number doesn't exist. Even stranger.

myashley89
07-12-2007, 05:22 AM

This is true, when my son has a drs appt and they call to confirm the day before, the number on caller ID comes up all fives, not sure why lol but when that happens I know its the drs office calling

oh yeah and as far as the "jury duty" scam I mentioned earlier, a phone number did come up on caller id, and it said something gov or courts, but it "sounded" official. I think the number when she called it back went to an answering service or automated thing or something

iluvmybaby
07-12-2007, 07:38 AM
This is true, when my son has a drs appt and they call to confirm the day before, the number on caller ID comes up all fives, not sure why lol but when that happens I know its the drs office calling

oh yeah and as far as the "jury duty" scam I mentioned earlier, a phone number did come up on caller id, and it said something gov or courts, but it "sounded" official. I think the number when she called it back went to an answering service or automated thing or something

At least it wasnt 666-666-6666 :gaah