PDA

View Full Version : Need prayers for a Scout in our troop

ilikefree
07-09-2007, 07:36 AM
I just got this e-mail from one of our scout leaders:

Family and Friends,

One of the boys from our Scout Troop, Danny Kroeger, was seriously injured in a three wheel foot powered scooter last evening (Saturday), when he hit a bump and fell on the pavement. He was with his family on vacation in Connecticut - please forgive the spelling. At this moment I have no idea how to spell it. Danny is in Children's Hospital in Hartford Conn. and is scheduled for surgery at 7:40 Monday morning. If all goes will, he will be released from the hospital on Tuesday with a full length cast on one leg. He has been told to expect a very rough two months with the full length cast, rehab after that, and a complete recovery within a 18 weeks.

It will be a long hard journey back to Ohio sometime this next week. They are expected to stop in PA, where Danny's older brother, Bob, is. Bob has been staying with his girl friend's family since Hallie's father was run over by a 15 year old on an ATV. Forrest continues to hang on to life with the help of a respirator and feeding tube.

Please pray for everyone: Danny, Bob, Patty, Jim, Grandma Ricker, who is with them, and Forrest Mull, Hallie and her Mother.

I am so grateful for praying, believing and faithful friends. This is what life is about.

Thank you.
Judi P.

Please pray for this family. They are the nicest people you'd ever want to know and they are having a hard time right now. Thanks.

BeanieLuvR
07-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Prayers said for the whole family.

ilikefree
07-09-2007, 11:32 AM
A couple of updates:

Here is an e-mail I received shortly after posting the original thread:

Danny is out of a 3 1/2 hour surgery in which the doctor said it went very well.
If everything continues going well, he will be discharged from the hospital tomorrow.
Don't know the plans after that.
His mother, Patty, continues to be with him and has only been out of the hospital about 30 minutes since he was admitted. She is getting worn out and sounds exhausted.

In the midst of this vacation they have also had to replace the windshield in their van. Seems it connected with a stone.

Please continue for Danny's recovery and a safe trip home for everyone.
Please continue to pray for Forest, who continues to hang on with a feeding tube and ventalator.

Thank you.
Judi P.

and then again, shortly after that one:

X-rays at the end of the surgery before casting of the leg revealed a slice of bone floating and not at all where it was suppose to be. The doctor was devasted and immediately took him back into surgery. He has six inch incisions on both sides of his knee and one back of the knee. Danny was never completely awake and doesn't know all this is going on. This second surgery is now in progress and could take up to an hour.
Patty sounds really down.
Please keep praying.

Just wanted to keep things up-to-date. Thanks.

YankeeMary
07-09-2007, 08:14 PM
How sad for this family. I just hate bad news. Please know I will say a prayer tonight for this family. How horrible for them all. I like how you have updated, that sure helps when we can come back and check his statis.

ang in NC
07-10-2007, 08:03 PM
will pray

freeby4me
07-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Wow how scary, please give us updates.

ilikefree
07-11-2007, 05:09 AM
Thanks for all the prayers...here's the latest I've heard:

Danny is miserable with pain and nausea. He is on 4 unites of morphine. They are trying to wean him off of the morphine and only use it as a back up. They will try him on tylenol with codeine and will be using a different nausea medication.
He had 1 hour of therapy today and hated every minute of it. However, he was able to take several steps on crutches and then walked to the hallway. He wheeled himself in a wheelchair to rehab. After therapy he was watching a video, trying to nap, and muching on crackers. Crackers is all he has been able to keep down. He is to have another hour of therapy today.
Because his pain and nausea are not yet controlled he will stay in the hospital today with possible discharge tomorrow.
The trip home later in the week will be 6 hours to PA to pick up Bob and a night there.
From there it will be to Youngstown for a night with the Hawkins. The next day will then be four hours home.
Both Jim and Patty have taken a day or two off work next week to get Danny settled and to recoup from everything. Patty sounded much better today. She had a shower today, the first since Saturday night. She and Jim are doing okay and trying to cooperate with each other as they are both dealing with this in their own ways.
Grandma Ricker has visited Danny and left him with tears in her eyes.
The friends they went to see have been great throughout all of this. They bring them food everyday and do whatever they can for them.
Patty thanks everyone for their prayers throughout this time.

Forrest is now off the ventilator and breathing through a trach. Otherwise he remain much the same.

Thanks, again for all your prayers, which are helping the Kroegers and I believe bringing healing slowly to Forrest.

Judi

YankeeMary
07-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks for the latest update. I still hold this family in my prayers.

BeanieLuvR
07-12-2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks for letting us know what is going on. I will continue to pray for them. That is surely going to be hard,long car ride with his leg in that condition.

Val1
07-13-2007, 05:13 AM
These poor folks - it seems like they have had bad news on several levels, but I'm glad Danny's surgery was finally corrected and that he is beginning to walk. I hope Forrest will continue to improve with the trach - did he have head injuries from the ATV accident? Those can be very devastating and a long haul to the road to recovery, but I trust that God is watching over them both and guiding their care. Prayers sent - I hope health returns quickly to both!

(And I have to say, those ATV scare me to death. A boy I went to grade school was killed on one at age 15 - seems so easy for an accident to happen!)