PDA

View Full Version : recommend virus scanner please

kaminikij
07-02-2007, 04:35 AM
I am currently running trend micro but had so much grief with the new version
I had to revert back to the old.My subscription is about to expire and I am not sure what to do.I have been thinking of Nod32 and have downloaded the trial version but did not install it yet. Does anyone have any experience with this and is it worth the money? Other than that should I stick with Trend? Please help.

EtherealGirl
07-02-2007, 07:24 AM
I use Norton and have been very happy with it. It's not buggy at all, and I've had no problems.

vieprivee
07-02-2007, 08:51 AM
I am currently running trend micro but had so much grief with the new version
I had to revert back to the old.My subscription is about to expire and I am not sure what to do.I have been thinking of Nod32 and have downloaded the trial version but did not install it yet. Does anyone have any experience with this and is it worth the money? Other than that should I stick with Trend? Please help.

I LOVED Trend Micro until I got the new version also. Mine expires at the end of September. I also need to find another program but Norton has continually crashed my computer and McAfee was more of a pain than Trend Micro! My mom uses AVG which is free and I used it in the past. Maybe I will have to go back to that? Anyone have any suggestions as to one that is easy to use and just runs quietly in the background like Trend Micro used to do? THANKS!

freeby4me
07-02-2007, 08:55 AM
I use Ad-Aware and Spybot and AVG. They're all free but I believe with these programs they remove problems, not prevent them. A couple of years ago we bought System Mechanic 6 and that works real nice.

kaminikij
07-02-2007, 09:16 AM
Thank you!

whatever
07-02-2007, 09:53 AM
I use Ad-Aware and Spybot and AVG. They're all free but I believe with these programs they remove problems, not prevent them. A couple of years ago we bought System Mechanic 6 and that works real nice.

those are what i use also. And i don't have problems either. Just make sure you keep up to date!!

supermous
07-02-2007, 10:18 AM
trend micro house call is on thier site and it is for free!
My friend has used it for the last 3 years and she has been really pleased with it.
I used to have it until I got a new computer which came with a virus program.

vieprivee
07-02-2007, 11:12 AM

THESE are the three my mom uses and she never had the problem. I will look into System Mechanic 6. THANKS for the info!

vieprivee
07-02-2007, 11:14 AM
trend micro house call is on thier site and it is for free!
My friend has used it for the last 3 years and she has been really pleased with it.
I used to have it until I got a new computer which came with a virus program.

THANKS EVER SO MUCH! HAD NO IDEA they had a free version. MAYBE it will cause less problems on my computer than the pay version! I thought AVG was the only free one out there!

jimmy1339
07-02-2007, 03:22 PM
housecall is only a scanner

it is not an active preventative

i like it,and i have used it

panda software also has a free scanner

i currently run the free version of AVG,and i am very pleased with it

i listen quite a bit to tech/computer radio shows

never a good word word is said about norton or mcafee.........more often, tragic stories are told.....why pay for soemthing that will cause misery,when there are free programs that work?

of course.........if you quit using IE,and make the switch to firefox...........then your computer life will become much less complicated

kaminikij
07-02-2007, 04:37 PM
Thanks so much to all you.I guess I downloaded the free trial version of trendmicro 2007.If it doesnt work out I am back to avg. What I dont like is having to uninstall spybot. I also downloaded windows defender. Not sure of that one either.

SweetTrix
07-02-2007, 10:36 PM
I love Ad-ware, it has caught so many critical objects! Windows Defender also works nice, it lets you know when a change has occured in your system that might be harmful. I use norton too, but it doesn't really seem to do anything, my bf won't let me uninstall it though, so i guess its stuck on the computer.

LuvSheltie
07-03-2007, 01:21 AM
Avira is another free virus program. Seems to work much better than AVG.

boopster
07-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Check with your ISP. I use cablevision and a neighbor has verizon and they both give you free anti-virus s/w.

magickay
07-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Check out http://www.komando.com/downloads/categories.aspx?cat=Security -- Kim Komando does a great syndicated radio program that helps people with their computer problems in non-geek terms (for the most part). Lots of good links on the page, and she also features kid-friendly tips as well. She likes to discuss freeware and shareware on her programs, too.

If you can't listen to her, she has free e-newsletters that have a lot of the information from her shows.

vieprivee
07-03-2007, 09:41 AM
housecall is only a scanner

it is not an active preventative

i like it,and i have used it

panda software also has a free scanner

i currently run the free version of AVG,and i am very pleased with it

i listen quite a bit to tech/computer radio shows

never a good word word is said about norton or mcafee.........more often, tragic stories are told.....why pay for soemthing that will cause misery,when there are free programs that work?

of course.........if you quit using IE,and make the switch to firefox...........then your computer life will become much less complicated

THANKS for the info. I LOVE Firefox and know it is much safer. Unfortunately a lot of survey sites and focus groups still do not permit you to use Firefox to take their surveys or take part in focus groups, even the IE ad-on to Firefox does not work for them. SO LOTS of us are still stuck with IE when necessary.

vieprivee
07-03-2007, 09:42 AM
Avira is another free virus program. Seems to work much better than AVG.

Do you like Avira? Had any problems wit it? IT is better than AVG? THANKS!

vieprivee
07-03-2007, 09:47 AM
Thanks so much to all you.I guess I downloaded the free trial version of trendmicro 2007.If it doesnt work out I am back to avg. What I dont like is having to uninstall spybot. I also downloaded windows defender. Not sure of that one either.

I still run Spybot with TrendMicro. Was there a compatibility problem with the latest version?...THINK I have the 2007 version and have no problem. BUT I had to uninstall Webroots Spysweeper that I purchased for two years and used for less than one because it is incompatible with Trend Micro.

tsquared
07-03-2007, 11:15 AM
this is borrowed information................
Just figured out how 2 install both Pc Tools' spyware doctor and antivirus for free. To get the free edition of spyware doctor, first go to google's free downloads called google pack and only select spyware doctor. Next go HERE:http://www.pctools.com/free-antivirus/ to get free antivirus. After it installs it will tell you "not recommended to install seperate from spyware doctor" and it will prompt you to press yes to upgrade to spyware doctor w/ antivirus. DO NOT PRESS YES, PRESS NO. this will allow u to install antivirus. if u press yes u will get a version that does not allow removal of viruses until u pay. for some reason pc tools offers a free version of spyware doctor only through google and only offers the seperate version of antivirus on its website.
NOTE: Spyware Doctor and antivirus are not the same thing they are 2 seperate applications
NOTE.........I HAVE NOT TRIED THIS BUT THE COMMENTS I AM READING ON IT IS POSITIVE

LuvSheltie
07-03-2007, 12:07 PM
It's finding things Symantec and AVG are leaving behind. And it's deleting them (quarantine is not working as well as delete). Life is good when bad things go away.

Do you like Avira? Had any problems wit it? IT is better than AVG? THANKS!

fire_woman69
07-04-2007, 04:33 AM
I use avast.It works great too for a free one.