PDA

View Full Version : What happened to the REAL Freebies?

crazylady
06-17-2007, 10:42 AM
Well, I'll probably hear a lot of crap about this post, but I've just gotta speak my mind! Lately, it seems it's just been a waste of my time to go to the freebie forum. The whole front page, is filled with posts from one person, most of which are about some brochure, or some event that's taking place, in a single city or town. And then, the same person, will go and reply to every single post, other than their own, with a "Thank You". Isn't there a rule about "Padding your post count"? :rules Because, in my opinion, that's exactly what is happening. What's the big deal about having a big number under your name. Granted, most of the people who have big numbers, have them because they make legitimate posts, of things that benefit everyone. Kudos to those members. But, over the years, we've seen it time and time again. And it's obvious that those 'Thank You" replies are often, just to increase the post count, when you see that they've replied to every post on the board, and it's already been noted that a particular link doesn't work, or the offer has ended, yet, they still come in and say "Thank You"? I've been around since 2001. I don't have a big number, because I ONLY post if I find something that I think is good, or I want to reply to something that I feel strongly about. It just amazes me that people have so much time on their hands, to be able to devote so much time to padding their numbers. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I had to speak my mind, and that is what this vent/whine forum is about, after all...isn't it?

Charley01
06-17-2007, 01:08 PM
ITA Maybe since so many changes have been made to BBS lately, a new forum could be started for free brochures and free events. HMMM ? Mods????

Bahet
06-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Thank you.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :rofl:

JKATHERINE
06-17-2007, 01:28 PM
Perhaps the "thank you" button could be added. I know we had it at another board and it definitely took care of the "thank you"/post-count padding problem...

SLance68
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Perhaps the "thank you" button could be added. I know we had it at another board and it definitely took care of the "thank you"/post-count padding problem...

I totally agree 1000%

Please put in the Thanks button!!

loveswolfs
06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Well, I'll probably hear a lot of crap about this post, but I've just gotta speak my mind! Lately, it seems it's just been a waste of my time to go to the freebie forum. The whole front page, is filled with posts from one person, most of which are about some brochure, or some event that's taking place, in a single city or town. And then, the same person, will go and reply to every single post, other than their own, with a "Thank You". Isn't there a rule about "Padding your post count"? :rules Because, in my opinion, that's exactly what is happening. What's the big deal about having a big number under your name. Granted, most of the people who have big numbers, have them because they make legitimate posts, of things that benefit everyone. Kudos to those members. But, over the years, we've seen it time and time again. And it's obvious that those 'Thank You" replies are often, just to increase the post count, when you see that they've replied to every post on the board, and it's already been noted that a particular link doesn't work, or the offer has ended, yet, they still come in and say "Thank You"? I've been around since 2001. I don't have a big number, because I ONLY post if I find something that I think is good, or I want to reply to something that I feel strongly about. It just amazes me that people have so much time on their hands, to be able to devote so much time to padding their numbers. I'm sorry if this offends anyone, but I had to speak my mind, and that is what this vent/whine forum is about, after all...isn't it?

Yep i know what you mean lol. And then on top of what you wrote they like to bump thier post's cuz they all got pushed back really far becuz of all the stuff they posted after it lol. Maybe they need to do a Other frebbie for things that are free but are not the true freebies samples.

And i really dont understand what the big deal is about some one saying thank you that we need this ty button? I like typing ty that way i know i have been in there.

buttrfli
06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Last month it was someone complaining about how no one ever says "thank you" anymore when she posts freebies... can't win for losing! LOL

Yes, a thank you button would be great.

galeane29
06-17-2007, 03:57 PM
Thank you.

Sorry, couldn't resist! :rofl:

Ditto....LOL:dancing:

crazylady
06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind someone saying thanks for a good post, but when someone just goes down the line, replying to every post, even those that you know the links don't work, or the offer is over, with a thank you,then you know that they are only doing it to get their numbers up, and that is just wrong. Whew! got that all out in one breath! LOL

mosdata1
06-17-2007, 04:14 PM
I know that I will post a thank you whenever I find a freebie I can use (check my numbers it's obvious that I don't pad my acct - my #'s are so low). Not only do I thank the person for finding the great freebie, but I can also keep track of what I already sent away for. I need this help - believe me - my memory stinks sometimes!

Jackie_Blu
06-17-2007, 05:39 PM
I feel exactly the same way as the OP and have been frustrated with this for a while. I know there are probably others that do it, but there is one person who is really bad about flooding with 'junk' offers..the brochures, catalogs (which we all have access to just by doing a search and requesting), instructional dvd's.......oh the list goes on and on lol I have also noticed the many thank you's posted of late, which I thought, too, were to pad the count. I can remember someone posting several free dvd's in 1 thread. I specifically thanked them for doing it all in one post, hoping the message would get on to someone else lol but no luck. I believe with this person we are talking about it is all about numbers and not quality and it sucks!
Sorry to rave on but I really needed to vent....held it in too long lol.

THANKS OP FOR A GREAT POST! lol (and believe me, I only give sincere thank you's.....and so I can also keep track of what I sent for :) )

Maybe we should start using the report post button :getyou ,,I just became aware of that today on another issue.

Katt
06-17-2007, 05:53 PM
I would love to get rid of "junk" freebies like brochures, bowflex type dvd offers etc, but just because I consider it junk, doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful to someone else. If we were to go in and delete everything we considered to be junk, then we would get slammed for it being "our" opinion etc.

The best thing, since you say it's one person specifically, put them on ignore. Then, their posts won't fill up the free pages for you, you can move right on past them.

Katt
06-17-2007, 05:55 PM
Oh, and when I mentioned changing another thing back, and perhaps adding something, I was told no. People were promised "no more changes" for a while, and that includes everything, even stuff that is wanted and asked for.

Sooo, I have a feeling a thank you button is going to be a while in the waiting, just like skins or anything else. Unless of course they are added, just to make me look like I don't know what I'm talking about.

buttrfli
06-17-2007, 05:55 PM
I feel exactly the same way as the OP and have been frustrated with this for a while. I know there are probably others that do it, but there is one person who is really bad about flooding with 'junk' offers..the brochures, catalogs (which we all have access to just by doing a search and requesting), instructional dvd's.......oh the list goes on and on lol I have also noticed the many thank you's posted of late, which I thought, too, were to pad the count. I can remember someone posting several free dvd's in 1 thread. I specifically thanked them for doing it all in one post, hoping the message would get on to someone else lol but no luck. I believe with this person we are talking about it is all about numbers and not quality and it sucks!
Sorry to rave on but I really needed to vent....held it in too long lol.

THANKS OP FOR A GREAT POST! lol (and believe me, I only give sincere thank you's.....and so I can also keep track of what I sent for :) )

Maybe we should start using the report post button :getyou ,,I just became aware of that today on another issue.

If its a legitimate freebie, don't be surprised if you report it and it doesn't get deleted. Just because you don't think its a good freebie, doesn't mean someone else doesn't appreciate it.

As far as the post count goes... I don't know why anyone cares.

Jackie_Blu
06-17-2007, 06:07 PM
I would love to get rid of "junk" freebies like brochures, bowflex type dvd offers etc, but just because I consider it junk, doesn't mean it wouldn't be useful to someone else. If we were to go in and delete everything we considered to be junk, then we would get slammed for it being "our" opinion etc.

The best thing, since you say it's one person specifically, put them on ignore. Then, their posts won't fill up the free pages for you, you can move right on past them.

Yes, Katt, I appreciate your response and the fact you appear to be in agreement with the rest of us, and I do agree there might be that person who would find a brochure a real treasure. But, maybe, someday, as another person had suggested in this thread, of having another forum for those types of things so the freebie forum could get back to the true free samples. Might solve some of the frustration.

I believe your suggestion of using ignore on this particular problem is probably the best solution at the moment.

buttrfli
06-17-2007, 06:23 PM
A lot of the problem is that the "real" freebies are becoming far and few between. I think of the brochures and stuff as "fillers" when there is nothing good to post LOL

Jackie_Blu
06-17-2007, 06:23 PM
I just visited the freebies forum and realized I had something else to vent about so here I am again. The large number of reposts!! Does anyone do a search anymore b4 they post?? I can see one slipping by once in a while, it happens to all of us, but for pete's sake, it's been so bad lately!

freeby4me
06-17-2007, 06:34 PM
I just visited the freebies forum and realized I had something else to vent about so here I am again. The large number of reposts!! Does anyone do a search anymore b4 they post?? I can see one slipping by once in a while, it happens to all of us, but for pete's sake, it's been so bad lately!

Actually Tom (aka Tsquared) asked about perhaps using a program that will help alleviate that problem (its something that you type in your freebie and see if anything comes up thats been posted) but with all the upgrades and stuff it might be awhile before thats possible.

PrincessArky
06-17-2007, 06:37 PM
I just avoid the ones that don't interest me so I guess thats why I dont have to vent about it lol

Berkley69
06-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Haa I know exactly who you're talking about, the one who posts a bunch of IMO "crap" with a few scarce "good" freebies and the one (actually 2) who always feel the need to say thank you for every freebie! The reposts are annoying as well as pointed out by Jackie_Blu. They must never come in here because they aren't denying what we're saying! Don't they have lives???

PrincessArky
06-18-2007, 12:21 PM
Haa I know exactly who you're talking about, the one who posts a bunch of IMO "crap" with a few scarce "good" freebies and the one (actually 2) who always feel the need to say thank you for every freebie! The reposts are annoying as well as pointed out by Jackie_Blu. They must never come in here because they aren't denying what we're saying! Don't they have lives???

well lets see........ they post useless stuff and we post complaints about it....seems like none of us have a life lol

Berkley69
06-18-2007, 12:26 PM
well lets see........ they post useless stuff and we post complaints about it....seems like none of us have a life lol

Well I like this forum a lot too but do something else besides sitting in front of the puter all weekend.....:bangdesk

LI Mama
06-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Why does anyone care if someone else pads their numbers? Do you get some kind of perk for having a high post count?

LI Mama
06-18-2007, 02:01 PM
I was just thinking, people could use the reputation feature as a way to thank people for freebies they like. :)

Tasha405
06-18-2007, 02:03 PM
Why does anyone care if someone else pads their numbers? Do you get some kind of perk for having a high post count?

Nope. I have no idea why they do it, really. Just to see a big number there I guess.

I do and will continue to post a Thank You for all the freebies/deals I apply for. I do it to thank the person for taking the time to post it and to keep track of what I've sent for. I don't just go down the whole dang page and post thank you though. I ain't got time for all that. lol

loveswolfs
06-18-2007, 02:24 PM
I was just thinking, people could use the reputation feature as a way to thank people for freebies they like. :)

I do that & still say thanks, that way i know i was in that thread. I enter so many things i cant keep track most of the time lol. But i all so dont say ty to every thing that is posted on the first page either. I look to see whats posted if i like it i say ty and im off to a different part of the board.

Katt
06-18-2007, 02:33 PM
I do that & still say thanks, that way i know i was in that thread. I enter so many things i cant keep track most of the time lol. But i all so dont say ty to every thing that is posted on the first page either. I look to see whats posted if i like it i say ty and im off to a different part of the board.

I say thanks too, especially in the contest area. It helps me keep track of my entries. Can't say I care much if it makes people mad lol, I'd rather them be ticked, then accidently DQ myself. I think my "contest win" bucket, agrees with my system too. :p

ahippiechic
06-18-2007, 03:06 PM
Can't say I care much if it makes people mad lol, I'd rather them be ticked, then accidently DQ myself. I think my "contest win" bucket, agrees with my system too. :p

Lol Katt! :D

I'm the opposite, I rarely post a TY anymore, I hardly even go to the freebie section lately, but when I do I'm usually in ahurry. I do appreciate the posts tho.

suprtruckr
06-18-2007, 04:17 PM
thank you

LMAO

tsquared
06-18-2007, 04:46 PM
Nope. I have no idea why they do it, really. Just to see a big number there I guess.

I do and will continue to post a Thank You for all the freebies/deals I apply for. I do it to thank the person for taking the time to post it and to keep track of what I've sent for. I don't just go down the whole dang page and post thank you though. I ain't got time for all that. lol

ITA.............100%

kimp67
06-18-2007, 05:54 PM
thank you button would be great IMHO

loveswolfs
06-18-2007, 06:49 PM
thank you button would be great IMHO

They are working on it. You can find the info here
http://www.bigbigforums.com/comments-suggestions/546416-thank-you-hack-status.html

crazylady
06-26-2007, 10:19 PM
Arrrrgh! It's happening again! The whole front page is posts, or "Thank You" replies from the same person! Now, tell, me how someone could possibly checked out all those freebies, quite a few at 2 per minute? No, that's not happening. It's a case of someone going in, only to say ty, and raise their post count.

loveswolfs
06-27-2007, 05:40 AM
Arrrrgh! It's happening again! The whole front page is posts, or "Thank You" replies from the same person! Now, tell, me how someone could possibly checked out all those freebies, quite a few at 2 per minute? No, that's not happening. It's a case of someone going in, only to say ty, and raise their post count.

I noticed that too & its getting kind of old. Been going else where for the real freebies cuz im tired of wading threw the junk freebies trying to find the good one. Maybe if we ask nice they will make a thread that those other freebies can be put in & the real freebies will stand out more.

taylyn
06-27-2007, 09:40 PM
I am so glad someone started this thread- Cause I was wondering what was up with the freebie forum lately,

No offense , But I wondered who actually sends away for half the stuff listed??:rolleyes:

Who needs it???

baragabrat
06-28-2007, 05:08 PM
If its a legitimate freebie, don't be surprised if you report it and it doesn't get deleted. Just because you don't think its a good freebie, doesn't mean someone else doesn't appreciate it.

As far as the post count goes... I don't know why anyone cares.

Yeah, the number of posts one has is quite irrelevant. Perhaps at some point, the owner may delete the post #. (Probably not, but it's one less things for some to gripe about.)

3lilpigs
06-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Well, I'll probably hear a lot of crap about this post, but I've just gotta speak my mind! Lately, it seems it's just been a waste of my time to go to the freebie forum. The whole front page, is filled with posts from one person, most of which are about some brochure, or some event that's taking place, in a single city or town.

I totally agree. I'm sick of having to go back 3-4 pages to find GOOD freebies that other people have posted. Sometimes I see them and cant get to them right away, and when I go back to them, they are several pages back.

There should be a forum for GOOD freebies (wal-mart, start sampling) and JUNK freebies. (keychains, stickers, brochures)

3lilpigs
06-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Perhaps at some point, the owner may delete the post #.

I SECOND THAT!!lol

Lets do away with it. It means nothing to the majority of people in sites like this.

Jackie_Blu
06-30-2007, 09:24 AM

Yep, instead of getting better, seems to be getting worse. I am increasingly disappointed with the forum. It appears there are 1 or 2 more who are now helping flood the forum with junk, reposts, etc. the junk posts are bad enough, but STILL cant understand WHY people cant seem to learn how to use the search b4 they post. If I find a good offer and it comes up in search, if its recent I dont post it, if its a ways back, I reply to bump it up to let ppl know its still good instead of making a new post. I feel thats out of respect for the original poster.

PrincessArky
07-01-2007, 12:23 PM
. I feel thats out of respect for the original poster.

yep thats always best. what gets me is the one that borrow from other boards and posts as their EVEN THOUGH you can find the original post on another board and it has literally been copied and pasted here at BBF

DestinysGrandma
07-02-2007, 01:55 AM
I agree people should use the search more before they post. It does get tiresome looking for something i didn't have a chance to look at. Although to be fair (I'm a Libra...lol) i posted a lot of different things when i first joined..... i wanted to give back to the people who had given me so many cool things. Not realizing i was probably PO some people.

loveswolfs
07-04-2007, 03:30 PM
When did the freebie thread become a free for all..not only do we have to wade threw all the junk freebies to find the good ones, but now we have surveys being listed & contests or instant wins. Is it really that hard to post them on the correct threads? This use to be the first place i came when i logged on but starting to have second thoughts :(

PrincessArky
07-04-2007, 04:43 PM
When did the freebie thread become a free for all..not only do we have to wade threw all the junk freebies to find the good ones, but now we have surveys being listed & contests or instant wins. Is it really that hard to post them on the correct threads? This use to be the first place i came when i logged on but starting to have second thoughts :(

yeah when it comes to freebies I dont even look anywhere much anymore but when I do I almost never think to look here........used to be tons of fun but not nearly so much anymore :(

lizmolik
07-04-2007, 06:16 PM
There is a good forum called Start Sampling that has no junk in it just go to www.*************.com and register if you are already not a member. I check out alot of forums and this one is the simplest and there is not alot of junk on there and plus the people are like family.

Charley01
07-05-2007, 12:15 AM
I see our resident garbage slinger is at it again. Just came in from celebrating the fourth and thought I'd check the freebies and nothing but 2 pages filled with garbage from the same person. Apparently that person didn't have enough firecrackers to pop.

Quaker_Parrots
07-05-2007, 04:50 AM
Ever thought about sending them a PM and asking them if they actually try to sign up for all the "crap" postings they list?

Katt
07-05-2007, 05:05 AM
Or just put the person on ignore. ;)

PrincessArky
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM

oh that has gotten to be one of my favorite buttons in the past few months lol

3lilpigs
07-05-2007, 08:00 AM

I tried this the other day, but all it does is keep me from seeing her POSTS. I can still see all the crap threads she has started, up and down each page.

Or is there another way to block/igore so I dont see all of that??

PrincessArky
07-05-2007, 08:02 AM
I tried this the other day, but all it does is keep me from seeing her POSTS. I can still see all the crap threads she has started, up and down each page.

gosh I dont know the ones I have ignore I can see that they have posted something but just cant see what........like I wanna see it lol

3lilpigs
07-05-2007, 08:03 AM
what gets me is the one that borrow from other boards and posts as their EVEN THOUGH you can find the original post on another board and it has literally been copied and pasted here at BBF

Everybody takes from one board to another. I think its funny though, when they say they ''borrowed'' it from another site. I wonder if they are going to give it back when they are done with it.:lol

loveswolfs
07-05-2007, 10:26 AM

I just tired this too & i can still see the posts..i dont want to see them so i dont have to wade threw them all :sob

3lilpigs
07-05-2007, 02:34 PM
As if its not irritating enough here, a certain person also does it in another site I go to. So I have to dig through the crap there as well.:sigh

Quaker_Parrots
07-05-2007, 02:43 PM
As if its not irritating enough here, a certain person also does it in another site I go to. So I have to dig through the crap there as well.:sigh

I belong to another site where they flame people like that big time if they post crap. That site focuses mainly on Deals, but they have a freebie board as well. They also have the points system and people get "repped" It is really nice to not have to wade through crap threads, and get the real stuff.

loveswolfs
07-05-2007, 04:15 PM

Oh you poor thing. Its bad enough here & then you have to see it twice :(

I wonder if we pm them this thread link they would get the hit ????

Jackie_Blu
07-05-2007, 04:37 PM
hmmmm....where do I start.....first of all, I tried the "ignore" thing, too and was hugely disappointed to find it did not eliminate the junk. Secondly I am going to have to ask one (the major one) of the irritating posters how on earth they can check out 3 separate posts, and say thank you all in the space of 1 minute. (someone else had mentioned this b4 and I have since paid attention and it is true). I will pose this question in one of the threads the next time i notice it happening. Dont know if you all have noticed but there are at least 2 more that seem to be picking up the same bad habits of posting crap.......even another 1 who keeps replying in her thread to keep it bumped I guess. Seems to me you can bump it til hell freezes over and still wont make it a good post :goofy And finally, how are these select few getting their reps added to (it appears they are), and 4&5 star ratings on these junk posts? can you rep yourself? and rate your own thread? I havent tried this but it did cross my mind that maybe it is possible. Ok thank God for "vent & whine" (which by the way I wasnt aware existed til just a couple weeks ago lol) I am off my :soapbox and off to rate this awesome and badly needed thread & rep the OP.

Quaker_Parrots
07-05-2007, 05:40 PM
Maybe the crap poster and the thank you poster is the same person? or friends or related?

ahippiechic
07-05-2007, 05:44 PM
There's 1 or 2 of the 'thank you' poster that have it brought to their attention, but they didn't care, in fact seemed to do even more afterward. Maybe they just like to piss us off? LOL! When they post 4 thank you's in less than 3 min, you know it's just post padding.

Katt
07-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Yes, you can rate your own thread. A while back, I had disabled the feature, because it was basically useless. When Jon and Brandon took over and rearranged the control panel, I lost that ability.

PrincessArky
07-05-2007, 07:20 PM
I belong to another site where they flame people like that big time if they post crap. That site focuses mainly on Deals, but they have a freebie board as well. They also have the points system and people get "repped" It is really nice to not have to wade through crap threads, and get the real stuff.

OH I bet I know the site too lol I am a lurker over there would never post they are too hard core for me lol

Quaker_Parrots
07-05-2007, 08:01 PM
OH I bet I know the site too lol I am a lurker over there would never post they are too hard core for me lol

Very hard core. You get your skin scorched just reading some of the comments about others, lol.

loveswolfs
07-05-2007, 08:50 PM
Maybe the crap poster and the thank you poster is the same person? or friends or related?

Ive been wondering the same thing about that. :hmmmm2:

Jackie_Blu
07-05-2007, 10:04 PM
Hey CrazyLady!! you go girl!! I read your reply in the major offender's latest thread lol you certainly got your message across :slap maybe we all need to get a little flamey on this board with the crap posters so they'll sit up and pay attention?!

Jackie_Blu
07-05-2007, 10:06 PM
Ive been wondering the same thing about that. :hmmmm2:

me too

Charley01
07-05-2007, 10:10 PM
Hey CrazyLady!! you go girl!! I read your reply in the major offender's latest thread lol you certainly got your message across :slap maybe we all need to get a little flamey on this board with the crap posters so they'll sit up and pay attention?!

ITA Except our flaming would be misconstrued as attacking them for which there is a rule against and there isn't a rule against senseless garbage. oh well......:covereyes so i can't see hotdog's and the other nameless poster's crap postings. lol

PrincessArky
07-06-2007, 05:15 AM
Very hard core. You get your skin scorched just reading some of the comments about others, lol.

OH YEAH lol

whatever
07-06-2007, 05:50 PM
I say thanks too, especially in the contest area. It helps me keep track of my entries. Can't say I care much if it makes people mad lol, I'd rather them be ticked, then accidently DQ myself. I think my "contest win" bucket, agrees with my system too. :p

That is what i do to. I have not been there in a while. But i would forget which ones i have signed up for if i don't say thanks. Plus its for their effort in finding them and posting them!!

crazylady
07-06-2007, 11:26 PM

Thanks Jackie_Blu!
I had replied to their post, saying that it was a bit out of date. I guess they thought they were gonna frost my flakes with their reply, "Yes and that makes the book available now." Which, it wasn't, and they would have known that, if they'd clicked on their own link. Anyway, while they didn't actually frost my flakes, I think I must have pi$$ed in their post toasties, 'cuz the entire thread is now closed.

loveswolfs
07-07-2007, 12:48 AM
Thanks Jackie_Blu!
I had replied to their post, saying that it was a bit out of date. I guess they thought they were gonna frost my flakes with their reply, "Yes and that makes the book available now." Which, it wasn't, and they would have known that, if they'd clicked on their own link. Anyway, while they didn't actually frost my flakes, I think I must have pi$$ed in their post toasties, 'cuz the entire thread is now closed.

I had to go find and read what was said. I dont vist that thread much , but wow :thankyou maybe the thread will get back to normal now...if they got the hint .

squirt661
07-07-2007, 04:51 PM
OK, this board used to really rock. I also made inputs about people who just say thank you, thank you and thank you, while living in their world of adding dumb numbers behind their name. No way possible can certain people even go to the posted sight when their thank you's are about a minute apart. Yes a legit thank you is in order for people who work hard to keep this site running, but a person padding their post for no other reason than to see 6-7 thousand posts is not needed, and I am sure the poster of that freebie feels like he/she just got a slap across there face. I have been picked on in print for my opinion. I have no idea, but it seems anymore on this site, certain things work for certain people. Have a good night, and if it adds posts to your name, please feel free to trash me again.

loveswolfs
07-07-2007, 05:47 PM
OK, this board used to really rock. I also made inputs about people who just say thank you, thank you and thank you, while living in their world of adding dumb numbers behind their name. No way possible can certain people even go to the posted sight when their thank you's are about a minute apart. Yes a legit thank you is in order for people who work hard to keep this site running, but a person padding their post for no other reason than to see 6-7 thousand posts is not needed, and I am sure the poster of that freebie feels like he/she just got a slap across there face. I have been picked on in print for my opinion. I have no idea, but it seems anymore on this site, certain things work for certain people. Have a good night, and if it adds posts to your name, please feel free to trash me again.

You lost me on your comment..I know i didnt trash you on any thing & you are not the person i have been venting about either.

squirt661
07-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that it was you because it was not you. I and the ones who did trash me, well, we know who they are. Sorry again.

JudyK
07-08-2007, 02:00 PM

This isn't being ignored. The version of vbulletin we are using isn't compatible with adding the thank you button. We have to upgrade the entire board software to get the thank you button to work easily.

Any change to the basic board software is called a "hack". When you add a "hack", you change the software in some way, shape or form. Then, to complicate things further....if the original software changes versions, any "hacks" that were made to work with the original version become unstable in the new version of the board software, causing it to break.

Vbulletin (the software this board uses) has been coming out with new versions at an unusual rate this year. It has become very difficult to keep up with hacks being current, software being current and making it all work together.

For now, we have the most stable version of the board software that we feel comfortable with running. Unfortunately, the thank you button requires the new version in order to be easily installed (or major changes to the existing software to use for this version). We're at a standstill as far as what we can add and the risks involved in adding things. We're playing it conservatively for a while to avoid crashes, etc.

In the meantime, the post counts have been removed from display. I'm not sure why people pad their counts with meaningless posts...but if that is their intent it will no longer serve any purpose.

peanut92973
07-08-2007, 02:27 PM
you know i use to really like this board but i'm begining to have second thoughts anymore. who cares if you say thank you , i do so i know what freebies i've sent for and what contests i've already entered. now our posts numbers are gone it's like nobody has a say in here., only the idiots that screw everything up. forget about the people that go by the rules.

iluvmybaby
07-08-2007, 02:30 PM
:getyou I wondered that myself

ahippiechic
07-08-2007, 02:36 PM
you know i use to really like this board but i'm begining to have second thoughts anymore. who cares if you say thank you , i do so i know what freebies i've sent for and what contests i've already entered. now our posts numbers are gone it's like nobody has a say in here., only the idiots that screw everything up. forget about the people that go by the rules.

Why was your post count important anyway? You can still say thank you if you need to, but some people have been posting 4 'thank yous' in 5 or 6 sec! They couldn't have had time to even look at those links, much less check them out and send for the freebie. (and some of the links weren't even working!) The only reason I can see for that is to pad their post count, which is against the rules at alot of places.

Maybe we need a "warn system", so the mods can give warnings for post padding?

peanut92973
07-08-2007, 02:36 PM
maybe they should do something to the person thats making the posts not the rest of us.

ahippiechic
07-08-2007, 02:54 PM
Maybe make the posts in the freebie section not count towards a person's total?
Katt said the chain games forum is that way.

Or make the warn system public and give them warnings when they do that? And after getting so many warnings in a certian time period, you can ban them.

peanut92973
07-08-2007, 02:59 PM
do something to the person who is making the junk posts and padding there account. not the rest of us. it seems to me your not doing anything to them and giving the one person whos whining there way. how many people are registered on this board ?

ahippiechic
07-08-2007, 02:59 PM
There was way more than one person to complain about this tho.

peanut92973
07-08-2007, 03:02 PM
suspend the person for 30 days then if they keep doing it ban them.

ahippiechic
07-08-2007, 03:08 PM
suspend the person for 30 days then if they keep doing it ban them.

I suggested something similar in my post above.

The thing is, if we tell them they are post padding, we usually get in trouble for a personal attack.

peanut92973
07-08-2007, 03:48 PM
there back up

Tashagirl
07-08-2007, 03:54 PM
I dont get what the big deal is about the whole "padding your post" thing~I think this is all ridiculous.I say thank you just to let the person know that I'm grateful for their post~as well as to bump it if need be for others to read it.Its not like theres any huge vacation or prize giveaway for the most posts~its just starting to feel like we are in school and the whole class is getting in trouble for what a few people are doing wrong~atleast in the "teachers" eyes.I truly dont understand why it matters even if there were people padding their posts~I honestly dont care how many posts people have.I read what they post in the thread and my thoughts on that person arent based on any "post count"..its just crazy to punish people who have been keeping track of their posts by "taking the counts away"..this is sooo childish anymore

ahippiechic
07-08-2007, 03:57 PM
Actually, post padding is againt the rules for BBS, You can read it in Brandon's post. Sometimes you have 2 pages back just to see any new posts. And having to go thru so many posts, that were bumped by someone just to say thank you for something they didn't even read or check out, is annoying. How do I know they didn't check it out? Because if you have posted 'thank you' 10 times in less than 20 sec, then you haven't had time to even look at the link posted.

April
07-08-2007, 07:43 PM
Personally, I don't give a rat's patootie about post counts. If I find a good freebie, that I can use, I try to remember to thank. But, geez, peeps, is it a posting contest here? I think not. Read, reply or not, and move on. If they feel a need for a gazillion posts, they must need a life.

sunnydaze
07-09-2007, 01:57 PM
Seems that those who complain don't offer alot of freebie posts anyway. Just enjoy what is posted and go on to the next one. If you find use for it, then send for it and thank you the person.
That doesn't seem to be "padding" post count. At least there are freebies to choose from. If more of us found some, then we all would be "padding" our post count and contributing to the forum. Leave it alone and go on to something else.

socks1211
07-09-2007, 03:03 PM
i only post a thanks for something i got i think thanking someone for a GOOD post is a good idea

ahippiechic
07-09-2007, 03:07 PM
Like we've said, when you post 'thank you' 10 times in 20 sec, that's post padding, not thanking someone for a good post, because you haven't had time to check it out. There is a reason it is against the rules here.

loveswolfs
07-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Seems that those who complain don't offer alot of freebie posts anyway. Just enjoy what is posted and go on to the next one. If you find use for it, then send for it and thank you the person.
That doesn't seem to be "padding" post count. At least there are freebies to choose from. If more of us found some, then we all would be "padding" our post count and contributing to the forum. Leave it alone and go on to something else.

Im one who has been venting and yep i do list a lot of freebies when i find them.We are not complaining about any one who says TY to any post..We are talking about some members who are just posting junk freebies trying to get their post count up, & then on top of that they are going down the line of all the freebies on all pages saying TY when there is no way they can click the link, fill in their name & do the same thing on the next link with in seconds of each other. That is padding their post & then they re bump up their post if some one dares to post some thing else and bumps theirs down or off to the next page. The best is when they say TY and the link dont work or the link isnt even there..you know they are not even looking at the op's post just padding their post count.

3lilpigs
07-10-2007, 05:01 AM

I used to post a good bit of freebies awhile ago. But I got tired of them being bumped 4 pages back, the same day, by a certain person, who posts nothing but JUNK.

People shouldn't have to search through 2-4 pages of free stickers, keychains etc, to find a GOOD freebie from Wal Mart, Start Sampling or other good sponsors.

squirt661
07-10-2007, 05:32 PM
OK, so glad to see that this post is still running so I can still vent and whine, but, thanks for everyone thinking along the same line, I do believe there is strength in numbers, and it is so nice not to see those certain people who all they have to offer is a thank you, thank you, and posters who claim this is a freebie who post garbage on this site anymore. Back to the basics I hope, and I also hope these idiots know they finally got caught. Thanks everybody for continuing to stick together and make this a better board.

socks1211
07-13-2007, 04:55 AM
what about the people posting a ton of reposts??????
yea there are at leist 3 posts that are the same right now

kimp67
07-13-2007, 04:56 AM
yea there are at leist 3 posts that are the same right now

YEP! All on the first page!

ahippiechic
07-13-2007, 07:42 AM
You can report the reposts, maybe they can delete them.

krissy904
07-13-2007, 09:41 AM
I'm too new and way too laid back to be a trouble maker, but I just want to make a comment about the poster that makes several thanks in just a few seconds. Would it possible that perhaps the individual is actuallly clicking the offers individually, sends off for it, then moves on to the next (without making any note of thanks). Then after completing several offers, returns to the original posts and posts the "thanks" all at one time, which would look like they were several seconds apart. And even for those posts that have "bad links" they may be saying "thanks" as if to say "thanks, but it didn't work". Just something to think about. It probably didn't/doesn't happen this way, but only the one that is posting really knows. I guess I am really trying to
say that just as in our judicial system, one should be considered innocent unless proven guilty. By the way, I don't respond to hate mail, so don't even send, thanks!

ahippiechic
07-13-2007, 09:48 AM
It's still against the rules, no matter why they are doing it. And a few of them have been told how annoying it is, (on this board and another one) but they continue to do it.

PrincessArky
07-24-2007, 08:05 AM
what about the people posting a ton of reposts??????

someone in this post complaining about the junk freebies did just recently post a repost AND it wasn't even in the right forum lol

squirt661
07-24-2007, 03:07 PM
Before my blood boils over, LOL, I honestly believe, nothing and nobody is going to make an attempt to cure this problem. Certain people are and will always be allowed to keep on doing what they do. Maybe they depend on reading everyone getting completely aggrevated while they think this is the way to keep this board running. Whatever??? I still believe in the honest and true way, that a sincere thank you for people who spend hour after hour searching down the legit freebies should be honored by the true of heart and not by some person padding their posts, which again I repeat, IT IS NOT ALLOWED ON THIS BOARD?????

Charley01
07-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Before my blood boils over, LOL, I honestly believe, nothing and nobody is going to make an attempt to cure this problem. Certain people are and will always be allowed to keep on doing what they do. Maybe they depend on reading everyone getting completely aggrevated while they think this is the way to keep this board running. Whatever??? I still believe in the honest and true way, that a sincere thank you for people who spend hour after hour searching down the legit freebies should be honored by the true of heart and not by some person padding their posts, which again I repeat, IT IS NOT ALLOWED ON THIS BOARD?????

yep

crazylady
08-05-2007, 08:56 PM
Well, here I am again. Came back to Vent & Whine some more. Seems one of our resident post padders, must have run out of crap to post, and couldn't find enough new posts to go down the page and say thank you to...so, the other day, they went into the archives and bumped a bunch of old posts, from 2004-5.

loveswolfs
08-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Well, here I am again. Came back to Vent & Whine some more. Seems one of our resident post padders, must have run out of crap to post, and couldn't find enough new posts to go down the page and say thank you to...so, the other day, they went into the archives and bumped a bunch of old posts, from 2004-5.

Ya ive noticed that too..now i stay out of that thread even more & i feel so lost cuz i lived in there :(

Jackie_Blu
08-05-2007, 09:08 PM
Ya ive noticed that too..now i stay out of that thread even more & i feel so lost cuz i lived in there :(

Yes I have too, plus a lot of reward type programs (no freebie to send for, but a promise of samples in the future if you sign up) I thought there was a seperate section for those. but yeah, the 04, 05 offers being brought forward really puzzled me. I dont enjoy that section like I used to either.

Willow
08-06-2007, 05:52 AM

She's gone now. It had nothing to do with the bumping of the old posts although it was very annoying. She blatantly refuses to follow the rules. She had been warned several times and just ignores everything. There also seem to be a few trouble makers who keep posting the offers for the picture frame, the P.A.D., and the ITT package. Actually I think it's the same person or the same two people. Several different accounts matched the IP address. I guess some people have nothing better to do with their time. I thought by posting the guidelines and sticking it to the top of the forum that it would help make that forum a better place but I think it's pissed someone off. Oh well. LOL

PrincessArky
08-06-2007, 05:58 AM
I honestly dont look at most names that I dont know so I havent a clue who is gone but I do know a post of mine was bumped last week from 2004 lol

ahippiechic
08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
Wow, gone a few days and the freebie section blew up, lol!

And thanx for doing that Patch, maybe a few will read and heed, lol!

loveswolfs
08-06-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks patch..maybe now we can get some good freebies listed again..:)

squirt661
08-06-2007, 04:51 PM
OK, I visit this board twice a day, and maybe I should just 86 this board as usually I have not received so far, any of the freebies I have signed up for, but that is the chance I take. So I hope you all have gotten your freebies. Now, to get real, I am still sorry to see these people and I do hate to use the name butt wipes, who are still allowed to post only to pad their posts with a damn thank you. OK if it takes me to be removed from this board, do I sound like I care? NOT. My main problem is in seeing 2 names in particular that run the board padding their posts, and if I am allowed, can I name them? So what, here goes and if they get offended, and if I am banned from this board, I could care less because this site has not banned them for abusing their post padding. Ok, if you are at all interested, it's stampdog and hhetchler. For all I know, they could be the same person, but what do I care because this board still allows them to break the rules, and maybe, they can combine there posts and cash it in for a jungle gym LOL. I feel so much better, now that I spoke my piece. Thank you.

ahippiechic
08-06-2007, 04:55 PM
LMAO! Stampdog has been asked to stop, but so far hasn't. They even used to do it another board I go to, but they finally got the "Thank you' button, so maybe it isn't such a big problem anymore.

My board has the warning indicators public, so everyone can see how much you've been warned and for what. Maybe that would help here? Then after so many warning, they get suspended for 3 days, Any warnings after that they are banned.

Lasher
08-06-2007, 05:18 PM
LMAO! Stampdog has been asked to stop, but so far hasn't.

Good lord, has 6,031 pots and started a grand total of 8 threads
I can only go back so far, but I haven't found one that wasn't a thank you yet.

ahippiechic
08-06-2007, 06:18 PM

Well, some DO say "thank you very much' LMAO!

PrincessArky
08-06-2007, 07:27 PM
yeah alot of things in the public forums can be a pain in the butt just remember this........if seeing someone pad their post count, posting a freebie that is crap, or seeing yet another countless repost is the worst thing that has happened in your life today......it was a VERY good day

Willow
08-07-2007, 05:30 AM
I forgot to add that if you see that I have bumped an old post in the freebie forum it's become someone else posted the same offer and I am bumping the original post (first person who posted it) and deleting the repost.

PrincessArky
08-07-2007, 05:38 AM
I forgot to add that if you see that I have bumped an old post in the freebie forum it's become someone else posted the same offer and I am bumping the original post (first person who posted it) and deleting the repost.

I have done the very same thing several times thought maybe they would notice but never has stopped the reposting lol

Jackie_Blu
08-07-2007, 07:02 AM

I, also, did (and do) this, but a lot of time it seemed to go unnoticed.
Patchouli, I would like to thank you for working hard to clean up the forum, and ultimately taking care of some major problems. It is very much appreciated :)

3lilpigs
08-07-2007, 07:44 AM

I think a mod should go back and delete all her posts where she says 'thank you' more than 5 times in one minute.......knock down her post count! lol

She's the same way over in another site I go to, plus she posts all the same garbage that no one wants.

And you know darn well she's reading this, and ignoring it all.

ahippiechic
08-07-2007, 07:57 AM
I think a mod should go back and delete all her posts where she says 'thank you' more than 5 times in one minute.......knock down her post count! lol

She's the same way over in another site I go to, plus she posts all the same garbage that no one wants.

And you know darn well she's reading this, and ignoring it all.

thank-you

mosdata1
08-07-2007, 08:00 AM
Did you ever stop to think that maybe they do this just to annoy people? I would think the best thing to do is just ignore them & don't give them the staisfaction of talking about them.

3lilpigs
08-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Did you ever stop to think that maybe they do this just to annoy people? I would think the best thing to do is just ignore them & don't give them the staisfaction of talking about them.

I think what pisses most of us off, is that it's against the rules (padding post count), and it keeps happening day in and day out. People are just coming here to vent abou it. Thats what this forum is for. :)

Berkley69
08-07-2007, 08:03 AM

If that is really the reason they do this then...... GET A F*CKIN LIFE DORK!!!!

Willow
08-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Thanks everyone. :) I was hoping I didn't sound like a drill sergeant when I made that thread in the freebie forum. I was just trying to make it better for everyone. Unfortunately some people are still not searching before they post. I know the search feature can be tricky sometimes but most of the time the things that were reposts came right up for me so I know that they aren't searching first.

Lasher
08-07-2007, 10:16 AM
thank-you

LMAO

Lasher
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Thanks everyone. :) I was hoping I didn't sound like a drill sergeant when I made that thread in the freebie forum. I was just trying to make it better for everyone. Unfortunately some people are still not searching before they post. I know the search feature can be tricky sometimes but most of the time the things that were reposts came right up for me so I know that they aren't searching first.

http://partyvibe.com/vbulletin/images/smilies/new/obey.gif

mosdata1
08-07-2007, 11:22 AM
I don't know if any of you ever watch Celebrity Fit Club (I know I've got to get a life!), but the guy who used to play Screech (that old H.S. show saved by the bell??) was just like that. I used to tell my DD's that everything he did was just for the attention, he would feed off of it. Unfortunately I have a jerk brother just like this, and I know that ignoring them hurts, because they get joy out of upsetting others.
Oh well, I never pay attention to my post #'s anyway - some people need to get a life more urgently than I do.:itsme:

crazylady
08-08-2007, 12:34 AM
Hey Patchouli,
Since the reason I started this post, was about that particular person, I just want to personally thank you, for taking care of the problem. We still have a couple of post paddin' "thankers", but maybe they'll see the light after the bannings, and stop what they're doing. After all, since they have no life, what are they gonna do, if they lose the forums, too?!?!?

Willow
08-08-2007, 06:31 AM
Hey Patchouli,
Since the reason I started this post, was about that particular person, I just want to personally thank you, for taking care of the problem. We still have a couple of post paddin' "thankers", but maybe they'll see the light after the bannings, and stop what they're doing. After all, since they have no life, what are they gonna do, if they lose the forums, too?!?!?

Don't you mean thank-you?:rofl: You're-welcome.

Berkley69
08-08-2007, 01:03 PM
There's a newbie I've noticed is doing it now too, thank yoU!

ahippiechic
08-08-2007, 01:28 PM

Yep, posting a 'thank yoU' every 1 - 2 seconds! You can tell they are just going down thru the posts and C/P'ing that Thanks!

janelle
08-08-2007, 01:52 PM
HMMMM I am wondering if it maybe is kids out of school who are bored. We will see when school starts. For someone to bring back a freebie from years ago and post thank yous all over the place sounds childish. Just sounds like a kid to me.

Let's hope it stops when schooll starts and pray for Patch and the others in the mean time who have to deal with this nonsense.

Berkley69
08-09-2007, 08:09 AM
HMMMM I am wondering if it maybe is kids out of school who are bored. We will see when school starts. For someone to bring back a freebie from years ago and post thank yous all over the place sounds childish. Just sounds like a kid to me.

Let's hope it stops when schooll starts and pray for Patch and the others in the mean time who have to deal with this nonsense.

I think if it was kids, they would be doing different things on the internet than this, this would be boring to kids...

Anthill
08-09-2007, 08:40 AM
I always thought that I was supposed to thank the person,but I have to admit I am never consistent w/my thank you. I sometimes do it in the contest one just so I know that I have already entered that contest ec.

What is the point of padding your count? Do you get something if you have a high count???? I don't think so,so why would they do that? I am sure that they are doing it for that reason, I just don't see the point in it if you get nothing other than your own satisfaction for having the highest post count LOL

Willow
08-09-2007, 08:54 AM
I always thought that I was supposed to thank the person,but I have to admit I am never consistent w/my thank you. I sometimes do it in the contest one just so I know that I have already entered that contest ec.

What is the point of padding your count? Do you get something if you have a high count???? I don't think so,so why would they do that? I am sure that they are doing it for that reason, I just don't see the point in it if you get nothing other than your own satisfaction for having the highest post count LOL

There are at least two members who post nothing else but thank-you's. You can tell that they are not even clicking on the link and signing up for anything because their thank-you's are literally seconds apart. It's like they are just going into the thread and saying thank-you and going on to the next thread and doing the same thing without even looking to see what they are thanking the person for. A lot of times the offer isn't even valid anymore but they still say thank you so it's very obvious what they are doing. I don't know why people would want to pad their post count other than that they think they are special if they have more posts than someone else.

ahippiechic
08-09-2007, 08:56 AM
There are at least two members who post nothing else but thank-you's. You can tell that they are not even clicking on the link and signing up for anything because their thank-you's are literally seconds apart. It's like they are just going into the thread and saying thank-you and going on to the next thread and doing the same thing without even looking to see what they are thanking the person for. A lot of times the offer isn't even valid anymore but they still say thank you so it's very obvious what they are doing. I don't know why people would want to pad their post count other than that they think they are special if they have more posts than someone else.

And now I think we have a new 'thank yoU'-er! :slap

Willow
08-09-2007, 09:23 AM
And now I think we have a new 'thank yoU'-er! :slap

Say it isn't so. :getyou :rofl:

suprtruckr
08-09-2007, 09:41 AM
thank you

:rolling

Willow
08-09-2007, 09:43 AM
thank you

No, it's "thank-you". You forgot that little line inbetween there. :slap :rofl:

ahippiechic
08-09-2007, 09:57 AM
No, it's "thank-you". You forgot that little line inbetween there. :slap :rofl:

Well, for the new one, it's always "thank yoU", LOL!

Jackie_Blu
08-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Well, for the new one, it's always "thank yoU", LOL!

lol Ive seen this one around for a while.. the first few times I thought maybe she would just get excited by the time she hit the u & accidentally hit shift along with it.....then realized it evidently wasnt accidental lol

Berkley69
08-09-2007, 10:49 AM

Hey, I said it first!!! I wanna feel special!!!

(J/K)

Lasher
08-09-2007, 10:58 AM
http://www.ultimatedallas.com/granny/Thanx.gif

ahippiechic
08-09-2007, 11:00 AM
Hey, I said it first!!! I wanna feel special!!!

(J/K)

That thank yoU 'er is gone now. :dancing:

Berkley69
08-09-2007, 11:45 AM
That thank yoU 'er is gone now. :dancing:

Did I miss something, was she banned?

Willow
08-09-2007, 11:54 AM
Did I miss something, was she banned?

Her and her other aliases. :2in1:

ahippiechic
08-09-2007, 12:24 PM
Do people really not know that you guys can check IP's easily??

Aloha from paradise
08-09-2007, 12:25 PM
Yes I have too, plus a lot of reward type programs (no freebie to send for, but a promise of samples in the future if you sign up) I thought there was a seperate section for those. but yeah, the 04, 05 offers being brought forward really puzzled me. I dont enjoy that section like I used to either.

ITA!!!

Aloha from paradise
08-09-2007, 12:35 PM
That is what I do:)

Aloha from paradise
08-09-2007, 12:39 PM
I like to say thanks because I do appreciate people taking the time to find us the goodies. And my memory is so bad that I'll see a freebie and go to sign up for it and see that I already have. So thank-you!:rofl: :rolling :ciao:

nanajoanie
08-09-2007, 01:10 PM
Last month it was someone complaining about how no one ever says "thank you" anymore when she posts freebies... can't win for losing! LOL

Yes, a thank you button would be great.

Maybe you mods could do like we do over at Mad. Have a software that tells a few posts so when you get ready to post a freebie the ones that are similar show up. If yours is on the list, don't post it. If you aren't on the list, go ahead and post. It eliminates reposte/reruns.

janelle
08-09-2007, 02:07 PM
That would sure help Joanie. And then if people are reposting THEN all would know they are just doing it on purpose to be irritating.

Willow
08-10-2007, 07:07 AM

I'm guessing some people probably don't or they just don't care.

Willow
08-10-2007, 07:10 AM
Maybe you mods could do like we do over at Mad. Have a software that tells a few posts so when you get ready to post a freebie the ones that are similar show up. If yours is on the list, don't post it. If you aren't on the list, go ahead and post. It eliminates reposte/reruns.

That would be nice to have a feature like that but since we can't even get our basic questions answered I don't think anything like that will be implemented.

ahippiechic
08-10-2007, 07:13 AM
That feature and a TY button would be great, although I won't be holding my breath for either.

Lasher
08-10-2007, 07:35 AM

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/3206.jpg

Pepsi4me
08-10-2007, 07:56 AM
http://www.danasoft.com/sig/3206.jpg

LOL! Yeah we don't wanna see all your stuff hanging out.....

ahippiechic
08-10-2007, 08:08 AM
LOL! Yeah we don't wanna see all your stuff hanging out.....

You know you DO...my stuff is FINE! :star:

Berkley69
08-22-2007, 07:00 PM
Do I see yet another troll? Or perhaps troll in the making...

loveswolfs
08-22-2007, 07:09 PM
Do I see yet another troll? Or perhaps troll in the making...

There's been a few here the last few days.

gravittr
08-23-2007, 12:00 PM
didnt want to quote that

Berkley69
08-24-2007, 07:36 AM
I just went into the freebies and there are a bunch of different names that registered in Aug 2007, hmmmm I wonder....

Willow
08-24-2007, 07:52 AM
When new people sign up they aren't supposed to be able to post links until they have made at least 10 posts but that isn't working because people are posting links in their very first thread. I'm trying to keep up with it but I've had a lot going on this week and haven't been able to spend as much time in there. One person posted the exact same thing three times in a row which turned out to be spam anyways. I think it was one of those insurance quote things. This didn't start happening until the split with the MWT board and after I made that post that's stuck at the top of the freebie forum. We had the ocassional spammer but nothing this bad. There are at least three "new" people posting junk in there everyday.

ahippiechic
08-24-2007, 09:10 AM
When new people sign up they aren't supposed to be able to post links until they have made at least 10 posts but that isn't working because people are posting links in their very first thread. I'm trying to keep up with it but I've had a lot going on this week and haven't been able to spend as much time in there. One person posted the exact same thing three times in a row which turned out to be spam anyways. I think it was one of those insurance quote things. This didn't start happening until the split with the MWT board and after I made that post that's stuck at the top of the freebie forum. We had the ocassional spammer but nothing this bad. There are at least three "new" people posting junk in there everyday.

I noticed that too. Usually the trolls like to come over here and OTC, not freebies, lol! Maybe Brandon can fix the '10 posts' thing, it would make it a little easier on you.

Do you ban by IP or username?

Willow
08-24-2007, 09:34 AM
I noticed that too. Usually the trolls like to come over here and OTC, not freebies, lol! Maybe Brandon can fix the '10 posts' thing, it would make it a little easier on you.

Do you ban by IP or username?

We told Brandon that there was a problem with it. Supposedly it was set in the control panel so that they couldn't post links until they had at least 10 posts but they are still able to. We can ban by user name and IP. The IP ban isn't working properly either. We've told him about that too. I don't know what else to do. It gets very frustrating. I think us mods should get paid since we are the ones that are here all the time and do all the work. LOL

Berkley69
08-24-2007, 10:54 AM

I'm not blaming you or singling you out, I was just addin to the conversation. :itsme:

Willow
08-24-2007, 11:21 AM
I'm not blaming you or singling you out, I was just addin to the conversation. :itsme:

Oh I know. It just gets frustrating because what's going on in the freebie forum shouldn't be happening. If the controls worked right we wouldn't have such a mess. There are only two admins now and they are never here. I know they have lives too but we need some help here. LOL

loveswolfs
08-25-2007, 08:41 PM
Hay who opened the door and let the trolls in again??

Willow
08-26-2007, 06:46 AM
Maybe if everyone pm's Brandon about these issues something might get done about it. I'm getting real frustrated with the whole mess.

janelle
08-27-2007, 10:26 PM

Maybe the ones who came over from MWT just do not understand about freebies. Not everything that says it's a freebie is a real freebie but newbies do not know that. They may see free and are anxious to post one. I get so tired of the fake freebies out there now all over the net.

You might post how to find a REAL freebie and not be fooled by a fake one.

loveswolfs
08-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Maybe the ones who came over from MWT just do not understand about freebies. Not everything that says it's a freebie is a real freebie but newbies do not know that. They may see free and are anxious to post one. I get so tired of the fake freebies out there now all over the net.

Maybe..but most of the ones i have seen keep bumping up all the banned ppl posts & then post more junk with links that dont even go with what they put in the subject line. Or say "thank you" and the link is dead...so you know they are just trolls..

janelle
08-27-2007, 10:35 PM
GAAA bet the last fracas on here brought the trolls out again. It goes in spurts. Sorry the mods have to put up with it.

Willow
08-28-2007, 03:34 AM

They are trolls. They know exactly what they are doing. I checked an IP on one username this morning and it had 10 other user names associated with and they were all registered in August. They are doing it to cause trouble.

Berkley69
08-28-2007, 05:52 AM
They are trolls. They know exactly what they are doing. I checked an IP on one username this morning and it had 10 other user names associated with and they were all registered in August. They are doing it to cause trouble.

10?!?!?!?!? I'll quote myself from before - GET A F*CKIN LIFE DORK(S)!!!!!!

Willow
08-28-2007, 06:12 AM

Yes, 10! I couldn't believe what I was seeing. LOL

ahippiechic
08-28-2007, 06:45 AM
It is just amazing to me that a board this size and with someone who is supposedly a "tech' , can't fix the IP ban.

Willow
08-28-2007, 07:41 AM
It is just amazing to me that a board this size and with someone who is supposedly a "tech' , can't fix the IP ban.

:dontknow:

ahippiechic
08-28-2007, 08:30 AM
:dontknow:

He needs to hire me. (And I won't even make you guys merge with my board)

Willow
08-28-2007, 08:37 AM
He needs to hire me. (And I won't even make you guys merge with my board)

Sounds like a plan. We need someone to fix these issues.

ahippiechic
08-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Sounds like a plan. We need someone to fix these issues.

Well, I just remembered what happened to MM, so I take it back, lol!

iluvmybaby
08-28-2007, 11:16 AM

LMFAO, that is what I am saying, JEESH

Berkley69
08-28-2007, 12:00 PM
I just went into the freebie forum and look what I found:
username: redsociety
8 posts
post i saw: "thank - you"
oooo you found the space bar, pretty sneaky......

loveswolfs
08-28-2007, 12:33 PM
I just went into the freebie forum and look what I found:
username: redsociety
8 posts
post i saw: "thank - you"
oooo you found the space bar, pretty sneaky......

Another troll..& i love how they keep bumping up banned members posts & giving them more stars...Well i go behind them and take 1 star away lol..

Berkley69
08-28-2007, 12:43 PM
Another troll..& i love how they keep bumping up banned members posts & giving them more stars...Well i go behind them and take 1 star away lol..

By stars do you mean rep?

loveswolfs
08-28-2007, 12:50 PM
By stars do you mean rep?

No..the rating of the post..up on top there are the gold stars you can go and vote bad and take 1 star away :star:

PrincessArky
08-28-2007, 12:53 PM
didnt know you could do that I will try it and see what happens

ahippiechic
08-28-2007, 12:58 PM
I reported their posts earlier, but don't know if it went thru or not.

BeanieLuvR
08-28-2007, 01:03 PM
Maybe if everyone pm's Brandon about these issues something might get done about it. I'm getting real frustrated with the whole mess.

I pmed him and very nicely asked if he could help. I think you are right that we all need to pm him maybe then he will realize it is not just the mods that want it fixed but us members too.

Berkley69
08-28-2007, 01:04 PM
No..the rating of the post..up on top there are the gold stars you can go and vote bad and take 1 star away :star:

Oh ok good job then! :itsme:

rdwhitt60
08-28-2007, 01:15 PM
I like to see freebies and not what is going in with the newspaper or who did what. I mean if you have a need then email your buddies. I would like to see this strickly freebies. That is what the site is for

BigLyd1
08-28-2007, 01:29 PM
:dontfeed :lurker :hmmmm: Nope, I have nothing to say except I'm glad that some of you have a knack for spotting the trolls. :ahhhhh:

Berkley69
08-28-2007, 01:32 PM
I like to see freebies and not what is going in with the newspaper or who did what. I mean if you have a need then email your buddies. I would like to see this strickly freebies. That is what the site is for

Wow you're a spankin new user! :huh

ahippiechic
08-28-2007, 01:40 PM

Ummm, since you're not new, you know there are way more forums here NOT devoted to freebies.

(Yes, I know, I fed a troll.)

BigLyd1
08-28-2007, 01:46 PM
Um, didn't they used to have a spray for trolls here?

loveswolfs
08-28-2007, 01:58 PM
didnt know you could do that I will try it and see what happens

Well if you stayed up late at night with the rest of us night owls we would of told ya :itsme:

IthinkNOT!
08-28-2007, 02:01 PM
Um, didn't they used to have a spray for trolls here?
yep, you can borrow mine, it's in my siggy line. Please put it back when you are through, never know when I may need it again!

loveswolfs
08-28-2007, 02:02 PM
Oh ok good job then! :itsme:

The only bad thing is when it gets down to the last 2 stars i havnt figured out how to get them to go away :hmmmm2:

BigLyd1
08-28-2007, 02:41 PM
yep, you can borrow mine, it's in my siggy line. Please put it back when you are through, never know when I may need it again!

Oh okay, you've got it. I knew I had seen it someplace recently.

whatever
08-28-2007, 07:53 PM
can someone point out the trolls, and are the repping each other? cause some people sure have alot of rep for reposts etc!!

loveswolfs
08-28-2007, 08:07 PM
can someone point out the trolls, and are the repping each other? cause some people sure have alot of rep for reposts etc!!

The trolls dont get reps. well i sure dont give them any..they (trolls) seam to like giving their posts 5 stars..& i go behind and take 1 star away. Umm im not point any one out but if you watch the freebie thread you will be able to figure out who they are.

Jackie_Blu
08-28-2007, 08:32 PM
The trolls dont get reps. well i sure dont give them any..they (trolls) seam to like giving their posts 5 stars..& i go behind and take 1 star away. Umm im not point any one out but if you watch the freebie thread you will be able to figure out who they are.

I sure dont give them any rep either lol I have never rated any of my own threads as I felt that feature was there for others to let you know what they thought of your post....besides it's tacky to rate your own lol I'm with you, loveswolfs...I go behind and take a star away also! Yep if you kinda watch, you can spot them in a hurry. I think some of these are the same that keep getting banned & coming back, slapping ratings on posts (thus the Christmas tree appearance),bumping posts, reposting,& breaking rules like crazy just to create havoc quickly b/c they are generally caught & banned b4 24 hours are up.

Jackie_Blu
08-28-2007, 08:40 PM
I believe another new one has just joined and made their first post in freebies...

Charley01
08-28-2007, 08:56 PM
I 'm just here to see what is going on. BTW thank you to the ones that gave me a few reps. Now I have more than one I'm no longer embarrassed and I am a happy camper..(What am I doing on vent and whine? LOL)

3lilpigs
08-29-2007, 04:30 AM
What is Rep??

PrincessArky
08-29-2007, 04:40 AM
Well if you stayed up late at night with the rest of us night owls we would of told ya :itsme:

hey I will stay up late tonight if you get up with my kids tomorrow lol

3lilpigs if you like someone's posting you click on the little scales under the poster's name and add a nice comment to them and I just repped ya :)

loveswolfs
08-29-2007, 05:01 AM
[QUOTE=PrincessArky;95667296]hey I will stay up late tonight if you get up with my kids tomorrow lol
QUOTE]

Well...Sorry think i will pass lol. My days of getting kids up & off to school are done with. :)

PrincessArky
08-29-2007, 05:04 AM
[QUOTE=PrincessArky;95667296]hey I will stay up late tonight if you get up with my kids tomorrow lol
QUOTE]

Well...Sorry think i will pass lol. My days of getting kids up & off to school are done with. :)

lol so are my days of being able to stay up late...........unless of course I have a sick kid

ahippiechic
08-29-2007, 06:25 AM
vbulletin usually has 3 diff ban methods. Username, email and IP. I can see that the username ban works but apparently the IP ban doesn't. Have the tried the email ban? It's hard to ban someone who really wants to troll, even with the IP ban. So many people's IP changes everytime they dial up, so you end up having to ban IP 'blocks'. On a big board like this, that might cause others to be banned too.

Willow
08-29-2007, 07:21 AM

If you see someone in the freebie forum with only a few posts and a join date of August 2007 chances are good that they are a troll. The stars that you see is not reputation. You can tell if a person has been reppped a lot by the amount of green squares below their username.

Berkley69
08-29-2007, 04:43 PM
If you see someone in the freebie forum with only a few posts and a join date of August 2007 chances are good that they are a troll. The stars that you see is not reputation. You can tell if a person has been reppped a lot by the amount of green squares below their username.

Soooo the trolls are repping each other to make it look like they have friends??? DORKS!!!!!! We're all gonna die one day, go do something with your life!

Willow
08-29-2007, 05:10 PM
Soooo the trolls are repping each other to make it look like they have friends??? DORKS!!!!!! We're all gonna die one day, go do something with your life!

They have been rating their own threads that they post in the freebie forum. That's why you see all the stars in there. LOL

Berkley69
08-31-2007, 10:33 AM
OOOH OOOH OOOH I finally have 600 posts - only took 7 freakin years! I feel special! :stunned

BigLyd1
08-31-2007, 10:54 AM
OOOH OOOH OOOH I finally have 600 posts - only took 7 freakin years! I feel special! :stunned

CONGRATULATIONS! And here I thought I was the quiet one.

Berkley69
08-31-2007, 11:49 AM
First of all, you guys are banning a bunch of innocent people, especially old members who haven't done anything .. why?? Ever heard of a forum leecher? Google it.. They come in and still poeples IP's then register under it.. so keep banning people and soon you will have no one.

Second, trolls are cute and lucky.. LOL

Third, you are scaring away all the members. alot of them are on other forums now.. GOOD WORK!

And, as for certain people not having a life, why is it old members with thousands of posts are on here 24.7??? Hmm, who doesn't have a life now..

PS...

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND..

Who the hell are you? Are you an old member that had to make a new name?

Jackie_Blu
08-31-2007, 11:51 AM

That would probably be the popular first guess.

ahippiechic
08-31-2007, 12:15 PM
First of all, you guys are banning a bunch of innocent people, especially old members who haven't done anything .. why?? Ever heard of a forum leecher? Google it.. They come in and still poeples IP's then register under it.. so keep banning people and soon you will have no one.

Second, trolls are cute and lucky.. LOL

Third, you are scaring away all the members. alot of them are on other forums now.. GOOD WORK!

And, as for certain people not having a life, why is it old members with thousands of posts are on here 24.7??? Hmm, who doesn't have a life now..

PS...

WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND..

These trolls aren't forum leechers. If they were, the posts they made would be random. Not giving stars, rep & 'thank yous' for all their old banned usernames. So how many names have you been banned under? And what 'Old members who haven't done anything' were banned?

heartlvrs
08-31-2007, 12:23 PM
That would probably be the popular first guess.

HEHEHEHEHE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:star:

PrincessArky
08-31-2007, 12:37 PM

guess it didnt work for you huh?

Jackie_Blu
08-31-2007, 12:39 PM

OMG LMAO :rolling

nightrider127
08-31-2007, 12:40 PM

You hit the nail right on the head.

Quaker_Parrots
08-31-2007, 12:43 PM

how can they steal the IP's when they aren't visible here, unless the member they steal it from emails them? Also, even if that happened, how in the world could they use it as a proxy? It shows up to the Mods here if the IP being used is a proxy.

Berkley69
08-31-2007, 12:45 PM

I approve your message - since it STILL won't let me give you more rep yet!!!!!

:hi5

PrincessArky
08-31-2007, 12:48 PM
how can they steal the IP's when they aren't visible here, unless the member they steal it from emails them? Also, even if that happened, how in the world could they use it as a proxy? It shows up to the Mods here if the IP being used is a proxy.

if u will read the post made by this person it is clear this is someone from the past who hasn't gotten over things yet.....just coming to stir the pot is all

ahippiechic
08-31-2007, 01:12 PM
Well, I know how to spoof an IP but they would have no way of knowing which members IP to spoof, because they don't show to members here. And they also wouldn't know which posts to go "thank-you' to.

Real forum leechers just spoof a random IP and randomly post spam in a thread or a PM. That's not whatthe banned trolls are doing here.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

nightrider127
08-31-2007, 01:33 PM
Well, I know how to spoof an IP but they would have no way of knowing which members IP to spoof, because they don't show to members here. And they also wouldn't know which posts to go "thank-you' to.

Real forum leechers just spoof a random IP and randomly post spam in a thread or a PM. That's not whatthe banned trolls are doing here.

Sounds like sour grapes to me.

I think it is sour grapes and more. I honestly believe they have some "issues" if you know what I mean.

Think about it. They talk to themselves and then answer themselves. That is not a good sign. I think this person who keeps doing this needs to get some help. And I don't mean this to sound mean at all. It is just what I truly believe.

Berkley69
08-31-2007, 01:44 PM
I think it is sour grapes and more. I honestly believe they have some "issues" if you know what I mean.

Think about it. They talk to themselves and then answer themselves. That is not a good sign. I think this person who keeps doing this needs to get some help. And I don't mean this to sound mean at all. It is just what I truly believe.

Hi my name is stampdog and I'm a post-padding addict.

(Everyone - Hi stampdog!)

mom_i_am
08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
:) I think I have you all beat on being the quiet one.:itsme:
I just have a hard time expressing myself by typing, so I usually just keep my thoughts to myself.

Berkley69
08-31-2007, 01:53 PM

Perhaps. Nothing wrong with being quiet!

BeanieLuvR
08-31-2007, 01:57 PM
I just have a hard time expressing myself by typing, so I usually just keep my thoughts to myself.

You should share your thoughts. :) I like hearing other people's opinions.

suprtruckr
08-31-2007, 03:47 PM
And, as for certain people not having a life, why is it old members with thousands of posts are on here 24.7??? Hmm, who doesn't have a life now....

i used to have a "life" til the doctor told me that if i wanted to continue breathing i had to retire

Aloha from paradise
08-31-2007, 10:55 PM
LOL! You go girl:)

Corinna
08-31-2007, 11:41 PM
What about banning the trolls and stopping new members from joining until this blows over. Would that work and can it be done.?

nightrider127
09-01-2007, 03:51 AM
What about banning the trolls and stopping new members from joining until this blows over. Would that work and can it be done.?

That has been done before.

I really don't think it's a good thing to stop new people from joining. You never know who you may be missing out on getting to know.

crazylady
09-01-2007, 10:45 PM

They don't have "issues"...they have the whole damned subscription!!!

nightrider127
09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
They don't have "issues"...they have the whole damned subscription!!!

LOL, you are right.

BeanieLuvR
09-01-2007, 11:06 PM
LOL You made me burst out laughing!! Thanks for the late night laugh. BTW I agree with you. :D