PDA

View Full Version : Postman's obligation

buglebe
05-14-2007, 07:05 PM
I am just curious as to what is the postman's obligation as far as delivering packages. One of the toys that I got from Amazon for practically nothing from this forum was returned by the post office. My postman sometimes delivers the packages, sometimes gives us a postcard to go pick it up and sometimes when we have gone to pick it up it has been in his truck for delivery the next day. This time we took the card to the postoffice the day he put it in the box and they said the package had already been returned. Yes I can reorder but of course it is now not affordable. He is always complaining about health problems when ever I speak to him. He says he has arthritis. I have seen him from the window when he never attempted to deliver. He never asks for signatures anyway. He just throws them on the porch. If he doesn't want to bring them to the porch that is fine with me, I don't even mind going to the post office to pick them up. I would just like for him to be consistent. What are the rules, anyone know? I am going to go up there in a day or two if need be and report him but them I am afraid he will retaliate. Thanks.

Heidi
05-14-2007, 09:16 PM
I don't know what the "rules" are, but when we first moved in and set up our mailbox we had to fill out a form that stated how we wanted our packages handled. I chose to have them left on the front porch. If it is something that requires a signiture, then obviously he leaves us a note in our box that we have a package to sign for. If the weather is terrible he'll take the package back to the post office. The only thing that bothers me is that he doesn't even knock when he leaves a package. Most of the time we are not home, so he's probably just use to it, but sometimes we are. I would go down to your local post office and tell them how you want your packages handled.

buglebe
05-19-2007, 04:24 PM
Today I had a neighbor but didn't get his name or address who drove over and brought me a package that was to me but delivered to his house. We get neighbors mail a lot. And we get mail for someone who has the same numbers but nothing like the name of the street. My husband almost daily has to take something to someone else's box or we have to write delivered to wrong address. Is this common? I want to report him but I am afraid he will make things worse. I receive very few packages that aren't opened but rarely is anything missing. Is it neccessary they open so many packages?
And also most packages look like they have been thrown around the post office a while before delivered.

Specialk
05-19-2007, 04:50 PM
I dont know what the rules are but perhaps you two can come up with an agreement and work it out from there to prevent your packages from being returned. I am always getting my neighbors packages in my mailbox and they are his heart meds!!!! So, I am always having to trek them over to him...

azwup05
05-19-2007, 05:59 PM
Actually The rules are not to leave packages unless there is a carrier release statement when you are not home. Otherwise if you want your ordinary packages left, you need to give that to the carrier in writing. Many offices do not have the delivery instruction forms on hand all of the time if ever. But your packages being sent back or mail consistantly missdelivered is unacceptable. Packages come open constantly on thier own. Amazon is one that I hate. Not enough packing material, and one strip of tape across each seam. As far as knocking, If you are ok with packages being left whether you are home or not,and it is safe to do so, at this point if you are not having problems with missdeliveries, be happy . Anyone that is having delivery issues and has the chance to speak to thier carrier should do so. And if you can't, a note or a call through customer service is not taken personally by most good carriers. We make mistakes often without knowing, and with the heat coming and pressure to keep our time down its easy to do. Also, please note the date in any issue that occurs. I am out now for leave from my route and I have no sub, so that means anyone could be running my route, and I know I will go back to customers that are mad at me.

pepperpot
05-19-2007, 06:12 PM
Actually The rules are not to leave packages unless there is a carrier release statement when you are not home. Otherwise if you want your ordinary packages left, you need to give that to the carrier in writing. Many offices do not have the delivery instruction forms on hand all of the time if ever. But your packages being sent back or mail consistantly missdelivered is unacceptable. Packages come open constantly on thier own. Amazon is one that I hate. Not enough packing material, and one strip of tape across each seam. As far as knocking, If you are ok with packages being left whether you are home or not,and it is safe to do so, at this point if you are not having problems with missdeliveries, be happy . Anyone that is having delivery issues and has the chance to speak to thier carrier should do so. And if you can't, a note or a call through customer service is not taken personally by most good carriers. We make mistakes often without knowing, and with the heat coming and pressure to keep our time down its easy to do. Also, please note the date in any issue that occurs. I am out now for leave from my route and I have no sub, so that means anyone could be running my route, and I know I will go back to customers that are mad at me.

I absolutely agree.

Have you ever approached the mail carrier with your concerns? He may not even realize that there are issues. I would first approach him with all of your concerns and give him a chance to correct them. If things do not get better within a week or two and stay better, then absolutely call the post office and complain. Good advice, always document everything..... Good luck.