PDA

View Full Version : Cat / Pet question....anyone know?

mariem
05-13-2007, 03:26 PM
A few weeks ago I noticed a completely bald spot on the very top of my cats head about the size of a dime..maybe a little larger. It did not appear irritated or red at all, no sores, and I haven't seen him scratching or anything. Anyhow, took him to the vet, only to be told allergies (without running any tests, or anything) and was told it was common. Well now, his one spot has turned into about 6...still haven't noticed him scratching though one or two of the spots have a small sore in them. Anyhow, they are all over him, on his tail, back, neck, etc.all ranging from a dime to quarter in size. Anyone ever dealt with this before????? He appears healthy otherwise...playful as always...just slowly losing fur :-(

cathych
05-13-2007, 03:34 PM
sounds like ringworm to me. Does it look like this: http://www.catsofaustralia.com/ringworm-in-cats.htm

mariem
05-13-2007, 03:39 PM
sounds like ringworm to me. Does it look like this: http://www.catsofaustralia.com/ringworm-in-cats.htm

Yeah.....very much like that...i think you've diagnosed my kitty!!! I've never actually seen ringworm....but why wouldn't a vet pick up on that?? Thanks for the info!!

Lori63
05-13-2007, 03:45 PM
The vet should have definitely known what it was!

mariem
05-13-2007, 03:52 PM
Sooo you think if i've let this go for about 2.5 weeks now thinking it was just "allergies" should I have myself checked out too? I noticed somewhere in the articles i've just looked up not all people show symptoms...what do you all think? Is is easily caught from animals?

freeby4me
05-13-2007, 03:54 PM
I would say take kitty to vet then call YOUR doctor and ask them. The vet might not say something in fear of you sueing them or something stupid like that (ya never know :rolleyes: ) ....maybe just take kitty to a new vet altogether. I would definately call a vet and ask.

Willow
05-13-2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah.....very much like that...i think you've diagnosed my kitty!!! I've never actually seen ringworm....but why wouldn't a vet pick up on that?? Thanks for the info!!

If it is ringworm most likely everyone in your house will get it if they handle the cat. It's very contagious. Our older cat Pyewacket had it when she was a kitten. My daughter brought home a kitten that her friend had given her and she had a couple of spots where her fur was missing. I brought her to the vet to get shots and be dewormed and all of that and it turned out that she had ringworm. At first the vet thought it may be allergies but then he turned off the light and looked at her with a special light and said that she had ringworm. She was a mess when we got her. She was dirty and had ear mites. The vet gave her a shot for it and I also had drops that I had to put on the spots where the fur was missing.

cathych
05-13-2007, 04:29 PM
It is highly highly highly contagious. It is not "worms" at all, but a fungal infection. Your vet should have picked on this right away. I would find another vet. Sounds like he wasted your money. This is another good article http://www.idahovethospital.com/ringworm.htm

mamalamas
05-13-2007, 04:57 PM
I had a cat once that had kitties ... they all caught ringworm ... and in turn ... so did I ... did not even know I had it until my arm itched uncontrollaby ... you should be checked out by your doc if you get any red raised "bump" with a circular shaped outside ... and it will itch.

MistyWolf
05-13-2007, 08:11 PM
Sounds like ringworm to me too.

sill ahh
05-13-2007, 08:16 PM
I've got to agree with everyone else, it sunds like ringworm. I got a load of motherless kittens from delaware (when I worked in animal rescue) that had it and before it was over everyone including my poor guinea pig had it. It's easy to treat, we just used atheletes foot meds on ours and the shelter gave me some liquid stuff for the animals.