PDA

View Full Version : What's normal?

buglebe
05-08-2007, 07:28 PM
I know it is hard to know what is normal but my 5 yr old granddaughter was just here for a visit. She cried and told me no one understood her. I wonder if this is a normal thought or feeling for a 5 yr old. I remember when I was very depressed, during my 30's and later feeling that way. Looking back I know I suffered from depression as early as jr high school but I don't know when I reached the age to put those thoughts into words. I am at a loss now as to what to think or do for this child, she is spoiled, yes but the problems are deeper than that. Any suggestions as to what I can do for her?

Specialk
05-08-2007, 08:32 PM
Awwww, bless her heart!!! Just tell her you were 5 once and that its ok to feel that way and ask her in what way did she mean that?, so she can somewhat "talk" to you about it, for instance, did something happen and someone ignored her at school or what? Gotta dig further with her in order to get to the bottom of it. Give her exta attention and lots of love and hugs and kisses...

kyswpgrl
05-09-2007, 08:21 PM
Maybe she was upset over something and just repeating what she's heard a grown-up (or even someone on TV) say before. :confused:

PrincessArky
05-10-2007, 11:02 AM
Give her exta attention and lots of love and hugs and kisses...

yep thats the best thing you can do. I have an 11 yr old that is pretty depressed about life at the moment. I finally had to put him into therapy because what I was trying wasn't exactly getting through.

MsLynn
05-10-2007, 11:59 AM
Maybe she was upset over something and just repeating what she's heard a grown-up (or even someone on TV) say before. :confused:

this could be very true. but i do remember feeling that way for as long as i can remember. its good that you are taking it seriously, alot fo people just pass over when kids that age say things like that