PDA

View Full Version : Menopause question

NoFoolPrice
04-30-2007, 10:01 AM
I'm feeling like I'm pms'ing. It's been a year and a half since my last menstrual cycle, yet the last few days I am feeling a bit crazy, my breasts are swollen and I have cramps! WTF? I thought I was done, got off pretty easy. I can not stand to put on clothes now, I'm wearing this really loose red silk gown from calvin klein, can't stand anything constricting. I feel out of control and emotional, I cry at the drop of a hat. Is it possible to have a menstrual cycle without mensrtuating? Does this happen to other women? Maybe I should have known, I had really bad hot flashes this past week, hadn't had them for months. This is not cool, I thought I got through it already but my mind and body is telling me different. How long does menopause last? I'm on an emotional schwing and trying to keep it in check, for God's sake , it's been a year and a half, can't I just grow old gracefully?

cathych
04-30-2007, 10:40 AM
Get thee to a doctor & get some hormones, post haste!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are decribing my symptoms to a T. Once I got on hormones, I was fine. As you get further into the change, your hormone levels drop, that is why u are seeing all these symptoms. They often mimick early pregnancy, when your hormones are again amok.

NoFoolPrice
04-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Get thee to a doctor & get some hormones, post haste!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are decribing my symptoms to a T. Once I got on hormones, I was fine. As you get further into the change, your hormone levels drop, that is why u are seeing all these symptoms. They often mimick early pregnancy, when your hormones are again amok.

Oh my gosh, I didn't realize, I do feel like I'm in early pregancy! I'm worried about taking hormones, don't they have bad side effects, like breast cancer? And really, can't I just ride this out, it couldn't go on much longer, could it?

cathych
04-30-2007, 11:05 AM
well, I have heard about side effects, but, I feel so much better with them, like a NORMAL person, that I could not, I repeat, could not go without them.

Specialk
04-30-2007, 11:34 AM
It sure does sound like your hormones are out of whack!!!! If you are leary about taking Hormone pills, try something more natural, I have heard that Remifen works really well and if that isnt up your ally, try herbal stuff, heard that also works good too, but most of all, consult your Dr and see what he/she says? Good luck dear!!!

DestinysGrandma
04-30-2007, 12:42 PM
that's how menopause hit me too. I thought it would be easy ....no real symptoms and then BAM! hot flashes, emotional, cranky ect.... I used soy isoflavins (natural hormones) and licorice root from the vitamin store. For hot flashes i had a spray bottle of lavender water spray to mist myself. It really worked to cool me off and is good for your skin. You used to be able to get a sample of remifemin at the site it was quite a large sample. I also had trouble sleeping and used melatonin for that. You may want to try to get samples first before you put out a lot of money for the products and see if they work for you as everyone is different.

MizzouLady
04-30-2007, 02:01 PM
I use black cohosh, which is in remifemin. My doctor recommended trying the herbal products first before using hormones. It works for me, but if I miss one dose, I sure know it!

aussiegirl
04-30-2007, 02:51 PM
could you be pregnant. They say women can have those "change of lives babies till there in their late fortys

cathych
04-30-2007, 08:21 PM
That is true, my aunt had a baby at 52! They thought she had a tumor or something!

deb_gar
04-30-2007, 08:29 PM
Gee, thanks ladies. Giving me something to look forward to on my birthday.
:eek: :eek: :eek:

okie
05-01-2007, 09:00 PM
I had my tubes tied 2 years ago and shortly after I started have menopause symptoms and I was only 28 at the time. I haven't been to the doctor yet but I have an appointment for next month. I kept putting it off but I can't take this crap anymore lol and I am barely 30 now. Has anyone had this happen to them after a tubal? Does it go away? I swear I have every syptom of menopause!

nanajoanie
05-02-2007, 07:06 AM
I use black cohosh, which is in remifemin. My doctor recommended trying the herbal products first before using hormones. It works for me, but if I miss one dose, I sure know it!

Black cohosh, you can can get a big jar at herbal stores cheap. Walmart also has a good price on it. Remifemin is quite expensive to use every month. Cohosh should take care of the hot flashes, mood swings, night sweats. Menopause lasts up to 5 years but mine only lasted about 1-1/2. The worst for me was crying at weird things, like a beautiful sunny sky with some puffy clouds going by and the clouds disappear. Also songs would trigger tears, or some foods that had special meanings or no meanings at all.

Good luck and hope it passes quickly.

NoFoolPrice
05-05-2007, 05:56 AM
Absolutely not pregnant! Just having all the symptoms. The last few days I have gone from a 34 B to a 34 C. My boobs feel huge, I have a slight frame, 100 lbs at best, and I have to carry these things around. I find myself cupping them to hold them up, they are so sore! I hate bras and usually go without, but right now I am very grateful for my two old falling apart streatchy soft cup bras, I need the support. Shooting pains in my left ovary, I was getting them about a year ago, got an mri and it was fine, they stopped for awhile but now back with a vengeance. I break down sobbing over the smallest things, and this morning Dot and I really got into it right before she left for school, something I hate, don't like to start her school day off with a fight, but the smallest thing triggers me and I have no patience. I have a Dr. appt. on Weds, I may go on hormones but I think I will probably do the herbal route first. I have heard a lot about black cohosh and some of you have faith in it so I will probably try that first.
One thing nobody mentioned is exercise. I'm so lucky, I have a lake right below my house and mountains right above. I found out this past week that grabbing my dogs and walking stick helps when I feel really nuts. That and rambling on on BBS...

cathych
05-05-2007, 06:04 AM
I had my tubes tied 2 years ago and shortly after I started have menopause symptoms and I was only 28 at the time. I haven't been to the doctor yet but I have an appointment for next month. I kept putting it off but I can't take this crap anymore lol and I am barely 30 now. Has anyone had this happen to them after a tubal? Does it go away? I swear I have every syptom of menopause!

yes, that is normal, unfortunately. And no, it does not go away. You are technically in menopause because your body is not getting the hormones it needs.

NoFoolPrice
05-05-2007, 06:13 AM
yes, that is normal, unfortunately. And no, it does not go away. You are technically in menopause because your body is not getting the hormones it needs.

I had a tubal in 1993 with absolutely no symptoms of hormone changes. I thought your body still produces hormones but blocks the egg. I did not think it would bring on menopause or hormonal changes. A hysterectomy would, but I don't think having your tubes tied will bring about menopause. I don't think having change of life symptoms is a normal after affect of tubal ligation. At least, that's not what I experienced. Feel free to correct me, but I really don't think it changes your hormones or causes menopause.

cathych
05-05-2007, 10:33 AM
http://tubal.org/symptoms_of_pts.htm
http://www.natural-progesterone-advisory-network.com/tubal-ligation-and-natural-progesterone.php

This is 2 very good articles about post tubal ligations, & how it can affect ones hormones.