PDA

View Full Version : Question about hacking

BeanieLuvR
04-27-2007, 07:44 PM
My son was playing a game online and someone was able to take over his account. Does this mean that they have hacked into the whole computer or just at that site. This really scares me because I know nothing about it. It is my husband's computer that he uses for Ebay. Any advice on what to do would be much appreciated. Thanks.

sultra1
04-27-2007, 07:54 PM
I think you could have been hacked. I am assuming you asked him if he gave his pass to anyone? Does he use a game server to play?

Also, do you have a firewall, if you dot' feel like posting that openley feel free to pm me.

BeanieLuvR
04-27-2007, 08:01 PM
He didn't give it to anyone. No, he doesn't use a game server. I don't even know what one is. They got into his account and added people to his friends list. His password was not common. He changed his password and took back his account but it is the rest of the computer that I am worried about. Yes, there is a firewall on it. What would be my next step to do?

sultra1
04-27-2007, 08:04 PM
Do you go into your startup menu at all? We can check for things in there that are suspicious. I would advise go to a public library and change all your passwords asap until you know for sure.

sultra1
04-27-2007, 08:07 PM
Also check for ip's in your firewalls attemted intrusion section if it has one. :) IF you need me to put this in more lamon terms let me know. THere is also a program caleld hijakthis it's free, no spyware and there are experts who will analyze the data for you for free on certain websites. I was hacked......

BeanieLuvR
04-27-2007, 08:31 PM
I called my husband at work to find out if he knows where the intrusion log is but he was in the middle of a breakdown. I have looked but can't find it. I know where it is on mine but that doesn't help. I can do a little with the startup menu. I am pretty much lost when it comes to things like this.

ahippiechic
04-27-2007, 08:33 PM
Check your firewall for intrusion attempts. And like the above poster said, from the library, change all your passwords. Also run a virus and spyware scan.

BeanieLuvR
04-27-2007, 09:11 PM
Ok. I finally found the intrusion attempts log and there were none. Does this mean that it is safe? I ran the virus and spyware scans and they were good too. Do you think if I change the passwords from another computer that will be enough? Thanks so much for helping.

sultra1
04-27-2007, 10:18 PM
sorry about takign so long. I got tied up. My apologies. It is possible that a hacker could get through your firewall undetected. I dont' want to make you paranoid but it is. I woudl run mutiple spyware/antivirus scans. (different ones detect diffferent things. Change passes, and monitor closely to see if anythign like this happens again. You can also try googling hijackthis and post on a security forum and they will eb able to see more. If you go to start--->run, type in msconfig This will pulll up your start menu applciations that are sent to launch at computers startup. My hacker installed programs in there, that when i looked up as i didnt' reconize them, told me what they did. My hacker was basically watching and momitoring me for information then, eventually set up my computer to crash.

BeanieLuvR
04-27-2007, 10:25 PM
sultra1, thanks so much for the information. I had heard that they could get around a firewall. I will look to see if I can see anything in startup that shouldn't be there. I am sorry that you got hacked. I don't understand why people do mean things like that.

I checked the start menu applications and I don't see anything that shouldn't be there. I found a place that I could do a search to see what each one is. Tomorrow I will run more scans. Thanks again for all of the help.:)

taz69
04-28-2007, 07:39 AM
Was he playing ruinscape? My son used to play that, but his account was hacked twice, and he quit.

BeanieLuvR
04-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, that is what he was playing. Did it affect other parts of your computer or only his account there? We have run different scans and can't find anything but I am still worried.

taz69
04-28-2007, 10:34 AM
It only affected his account. No problem or programs affected on the rest of the computer.

BeanieLuvR
04-28-2007, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the info taz69! That makes me feel a lot better. It is a shame a kid can't play a game without someone doing something like that to them.

YankeeMary
04-28-2007, 10:00 PM
Happens to my kids all the time. Totally ticks me off. The first time it happened I freaked as we secured his membership with a credit card. Now it doesn't worry me a bit, I just get sick of hearing all the complaining when someone hacks their account and steals their "items" from their game. I agree it is a shame that others do this type of stuff.