PDA

View Full Version : advice, help with windows 98

Kimberly61
04-26-2007, 09:58 PM
yup I said window's 98...not many have it anymore but my mom does and she is having some serious problems with it freezing up on her, making her email program send out multiple emails that she means to just send one copy plus numerous other things.....many people that she has talked to has told her that it needs to have an update, well they no longer offer updates for window's 98 and she cant afford to buy a new computer or have the one she has to be upgraded to xp..........my question is, can she install the xp disc to her computer by herself with my xp disc? and if so how? she lives in TX and I live in MI so I cant help her do it I have to talk her through what ever problems she has had over the phone and it is soooooo hard to do......so any help would be appreciated.:)

suprtruckr
04-26-2007, 10:36 PM
my question is, can she install the xp disc to her computer by herself with my xp disc?

only if you have a retail version of xp, off the shelf not with a new system

cpbaby
04-27-2007, 03:25 AM
You cant put the same XP registration number on two computers. You will have to buy a new disk. You also need to check and make sure she has enough hard drive for XP. I think it takes a minimum of 2 gig to install it, so you need at least 5 and probably more for the computer to run right.

SLance68
04-27-2007, 07:00 AM
Does she have 98 or 98 SE? If she has 98 she should look around and see if someone has 98SE disk - it would probably clear up a lot of problems - 98 sucked but 98 SE was a huge improvement. As far as putting XP on the system it would probably kill the computer and you have to register it on line in order for the program to work and you can only have it on one computer per license. Have you thought about looking on freecycle for a used computer - people give stuff away that you would not believe. Also check your local newspaper for a inexpensive used computer.

lassss
04-27-2007, 07:06 AM
It's time to upgrade, puter prices are so cheap these days, she can probably get a new one for about $300-400. I bought an IBM laptop for $399 over Thanksgiving black friday sale.

She also look on ebay for a winxp upgrade but I am thinking if her computer is that old, XP isn't going to like it at all. Does she know how to upgrade ram, motherboard, processor? That is another cheap way to go about it, if she can do it herself. I usually build my own systems for about $200

mirage7000
04-27-2007, 09:41 AM
Boyfriend has Windows 98 and it's a mess. Tried fixing things for him. I do believe it's time to upgrade. No computer genius here. I know I did everything I could possibly think of. Spent tons of time on it.

taz69
04-27-2007, 09:56 AM
Windows 98 is known for putting EVERYTHING into the startup menu. Have you gone to msconfig and cleared some of that out? Also, 98 is good at listing "ghost" hardware-it loads your cd-rom, mouse, monitor, etc over and over. Have to be in safe mode to actually check it- i can help if you want.

Kimberly61
04-27-2007, 09:47 PM
Thanks everyone for all the advice.......sorry I havent gotten back with anyone to thank you before but my mother in law passed away tonight and have been so busy........Taz I would love the help but I wont be available till tues. or wed. for the help would that offer still be available?

taz69
04-28-2007, 07:46 AM
PM'ed you