PDA

View Full Version : another update...kinda gross, don't read if you have a weak stomach

tljohn123
04-20-2007, 08:28 PM
Went to the doc today for a checkup. First words out of his mouth were 'Oh my God...this looks horrible'. I kid you not. My incision isn't healing like it should be, and I thought there wa a third incision. Nope. It was where the surgical tape was laying after I got out of surgery----and where the blisters popped up at. And come to find out...where those blisters were...is now dead skin. Dead skin that he had to remove. My doctor is not my friend at the moment because it still hurts like hell. He said it was just surface skin though and not anything deeper so I guess that's good news. I have to keep a dry dressing on it, and was put on another round of antibiotics.

Now, my question to the medical personnel out there---I took off the dressing tonight to put on a fresh one. The old one is filled with pus and it smells. Is that normal for something like this? I'm not running a fever, no problems in any department and feel fine other than that. There are no red streaks, at least at this time---just where he pulled the nasty stuff off. HELP!

pepperpot
04-20-2007, 08:46 PM
This does not sound good. What are you recovering from??

No way should your doctor be cutting out/off gangrene tissue from a procedure. This is just not right. Take your anti-biotics, religiously.

How big is your wound?

taz69
04-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Question Tl-do you have Diabetes or high blood sugar? If so - go to your ER ASAP! Your wound should NOT smell that bad, and it can lead to severe complications if you don't get a second opinion on the healing. Good Luck and let us know how you are doing.

Njean31
04-20-2007, 08:56 PM
This does not sound good. What are you recovering from??

No way should your doctor be cutting out/off gangrene tissue from a procedure. This is just not right. Take your anti-biotics, religiously.

How big is your wound?

yeah, pepperpot...they do cut off dead skin/tissue from wounds that have necrotic (dead) tissue. it's called debridement. usually though, they put a different kind of dressing on those type called wet to dry, not a dry dressing like op is stating they are doing. that probably means it's not too bad and will probably heal up well, especially with the antibiotic therapy.

i'm sorry this happened to you op. what kind of surgery did you have? do you smoke? do you have compromised blood flow? are you diabetic? sometimes it just happens. i do bet your upset. i had a tummy tuck last year and i just knew i would have some necrosis but i was lucky. keep it clean, change the dressing as ordered, and take all the antibiotics as prescribed.:)

Njean31
04-20-2007, 09:02 PM
oh yes, and if the pus and odor don't subside in a couple of days or if it appears to get worse or streaky, or you get a fever...i'd contact the doctor.

pepperpot
04-20-2007, 09:07 PM
yeah, pepperpot...they do cut off dead skin/tissue from wounds that have necrotic (dead) tissue. it's called debridement. usually though, they put a different kind of dressing on those type called wet to dry, not a dry dressing like op is stating they are doing. that probably means it's not too bad and will probably heal up well, especially with the antibiotic therapy.

I know, I didn't mean that you shouldn't cut off/out the gangrene, I meant that it shouldn't be happening.....the gangerene.....from a 'procedure'....

If it weren't cut off/out, she'd be in a lot more trouble, something is not right here.....

MistyWolf
04-20-2007, 11:14 PM
Sounds like you have an infection .. like previously mentioned, if the antibiotics don't help, I'd be going back to the doc or the ER in a few days.

tljohn123
04-21-2007, 06:00 AM
I had back surgery a few weeks ago. The incisions aren't that big---maybe two two inch parallel ones. Those seem to be doing ok, it's the one where all the blisters where at!
Yes, I am diabetic, and I know that wounds can heal slowly because of that. Heck, I just thought it wasn't healing up nicely because of the brace rubbing up against it. I was wondering about calling the on-call nurse and seeing what she says. When I saw the dressing last night I kind of got scared--no blood, just nasty pus.
Gangrene???!!?!?!!!???? I also thought infection, but I had been taking my antibiotics like I was supposed to when I came ome from the hospital. Yes, the doctor put on a dry dressing and told me to come back in 10 days and hopefully will look a lot better by then, espicially since he cut out off the bad stuff. It just looks icky in my opinion!

evrita
04-21-2007, 07:14 AM
My DD had the same thing happen after her foot surgery and where she had pins put in her arms the discharge is nasty. She had a hole in her foot so deep i could fit my thumb in it up to the first knuckle too forever to heal. Keep taking the antibiodics and changing the dressings.

Blackerose
04-21-2007, 03:01 PM
It takes about 48 hours for antibiotics to kick so the smell and the pus should decrease after then.

Gangrene occurs when an area is usually deprived of oxygen or blood and the area literally dies and turns black. Examples of this are frostbite on toes feet, fingers, etc. The body in an effort to conserve warmth shuts down circulation to the extremities. Diabetics often have poor circulation expecially those who don't control their blood sugar very well. High blood sugar levels decrease healing time as do cigarette smoking; there is less blood flow to the wound.

To help your wound heal faster, make sure you have lots of fluids and try to increase your intake of vitamin C. You can take the pills but it would be better if you got it through your food like oranges or fruit juices. Since you are diabetic, try to stay on top of your blood sugar. I know, easier said than done. My husband is diabetic and he thinks that a fasting blood sugar of 120 is pretty good.

gmyers
04-21-2007, 03:51 PM
My sister had a hernia surgery a year and a half ago. She got an allergic reaction to the mesh they used. Needless to say every day for the last year her stomach produces pus. She has to keep a hole in her stomach to ket it drain. So far it hasn't smelled so she takes anti-biotucs and keeps it cleaned. Well what I'm getting at is the doctor said as long as theres no smell shes alright. I would make an appointment or call your doctor just to be on the safe side. Its dangerous to leave an infection alone if your diabetic.

pepperpot
04-21-2007, 04:29 PM
My sister had a hernia surgery a year and a half ago. She got an allergic reaction to the mesh they used. Needless to say every day for the last year her stomach produces pus. She has to keep a hole in her stomach to ket it drain. So far it hasn't smelled so she takes anti-biotucs and keeps it cleaned. Well what I'm getting at is the doctor said as long as theres no smell shes alright. I would make an appointment or call your doctor just to be on the safe side. Its dangerous to leave an infection alone if your diabetic.

The doctor is just going to let her be and live on antibiotics? I'd get a second opinion.

Njean31
04-21-2007, 05:26 PM
please do repost in a couple of days and let us know how it looks.

tljohn123
04-21-2007, 06:05 PM
patient advisory nurse called a few hours ago, said the on call doctor just told me to keep a clean dry dressing on it, keep on top of antibiotics, and to call my doctor Monday morning because they may want to see me. He also said that if the color changes or I get a fever to go directly to ER for IV antibiotics. I am absolutely SICK of doctors and needles!!! I want off these damn pills! Good thing I'm not a junkie huh. You should see my purse. I'm a walking pharmacy. The pain isn't too horrid. I actually managed to do a bit of grocery shopping and go out with my honey to get some flowers. I'm very tired though. We were going to take the kids to the zoo, but I'm glad we didn't. I still need to recuperate more I guess.
I'll let ya know how everything is. You guys and gals are the best..thank you for caring so much!

taz69
04-21-2007, 06:41 PM
Please keep a close eye on this-if you are worried -go to ER. I am a nurse, and had a patient with a bad DR. She had Diabetes, and the wound got SO bad. Keep a close eye on it. Don't want to scare or raise too many warnings. Trust your insincts and your body- if it doesn't feel right- go to ER or another Dr. Take care, and let us know how it is going.

cathych
04-21-2007, 06:47 PM
I am a nurse also. Just because you have dead tissue DOES NOT mean gangrene. Since you said that you had blisters pop up under the tape, it sounds likely that you are allergic to the tape used.

gmyers
04-21-2007, 07:58 PM
The doctor is just going to let her be and live on antibiotics? I'd get a second opinion.

No the doctor that did her surgery said that the only way to fix the problem is to go back in and take the mesh out. And then she'll have to have the hernia surgery done again. The problem is that her husband changed jobs recently and they said they wouldn't cover any pre-existing conditions till September. They said the mesh is whats causing the infection so hopefully when they take it out it'll stop. They've tried every anti-biotic they know of and none have worked.

tljohn123
04-22-2007, 06:17 AM
Oh yes I am definately allergic to the surgical tape. Also found I was allergic to the Fentynal (sp) patches. Woke up covered in hives on that one. God I love being a natural blonde lol. I know that this doesn't mean gangrene, thank god. We changed the dressing last night and it's got a greenish tinge to it now. Still no fever though. I'm kind of afraid to look at it today.

Gmyers.....I don't think that your sister's problem would be classified as a pre existing condition. It's an allergic reaction thats causing infection and I would think that the new insurance company would take care of that. Have you checked on that? And also, I had heard that the mesh they used about 2 years ago was causing a LOT of problems in people and it was being recalled. My guy has been holding out getting his hernia fixed and he said it was a good thing he has because of that recall. Heck I don't keep up on these things!

Blackerose
04-22-2007, 06:24 AM
Please don't skip doses of your antibiotics try to increase your fluid intake and do watch for changes in the color of drainage. And I've been an RN for over 20 years.

gmyers
04-22-2007, 06:51 AM
Oh yes I am definately allergic to the surgical tape. Also found I was allergic to the Fentynal (sp) patches. Woke up covered in hives on that one. God I love being a natural blonde lol. I know that this doesn't mean gangrene, thank god. We changed the dressing last night and it's got a greenish tinge to it now. Still no fever though. I'm kind of afraid to look at it today.

Gmyers.....I don't think that your sister's problem would be classified as a pre existing condition. It's an allergic reaction thats causing infection and I would think that the new insurance company would take care of that. Have you checked on that? And also, I had heard that the mesh they used about 2 years ago was causing a LOT of problems in people and it was being recalled. My guy has been holding out getting his hernia fixed and he said it was a good thing he has because of that recall. Heck I don't keep up on these things!

Thats what I thought too but she has blue cross insurance now and thats what they told her. She's diabetic and has high blood pressure and they told her they wouldn't even cover her medicine till September. She finally got them to cover her medicine but they definitely wont cover the operation to remove the mesh and redo the hernia surgery till September. And you're right about the mesh. She had a lawyer talk to her about filing a lawsuit against the hospital. He said she had a good case.

azrocky
04-22-2007, 06:52 AM
gmyers, I wanted to let you know that I received an email just last night regarding the recall on the mesh that was used for hernia surgery.
If you or anyone else would like to read the email just let me know and I can forward it on to you.
You can email me at azrocky1999@msn.com and just put recall in the subject line and I will get it off to you right away.
Good luck
Deanna

tljohn123
04-22-2007, 02:40 PM
Thats what I thought too but she has blue cross insurance now and thats what they told her. She's diabetic and has high blood pressure and they told her they wouldn't even cover her medicine till September. She finally got them to cover her medicine but they definitely wont cover the operation to remove the mesh and redo the hernia surgery till September. And you're right about the mesh. She had a lawyer talk to her about filing a lawsuit against the hospital. He said she had a good case.

Blue Cross absolutely sucks! My ex had a job that was paying for his insurance, but he had to obtain it on his own. While we were filling out the paperwork, they asked about his medical history. We filled out everything truthfully. He waited 6 months before going back to the doc for something---which is what bc/bs told him---and then when he went back, they sent him paperwork. Told him that he lied on his application and they were rejecting all of his claims and they were refunding every nickel of his money that he had paid.

Oh yeah....sweetie told me my back looked a little better today, maybe even drying up a bit. I hope so. I'll call the doc tomorrow and see what they say.

gmyers
04-22-2007, 03:35 PM
I'm glad it looks better I hope by tomorrow it will look and feel completely better.:)