PDA

View Full Version : Torn and don't know what to do. Need advice.

andreame70
04-19-2007, 05:56 AM
I am pretty upset about something and I feel like I am entitled to be, but at the same time, I am torn about how to handle it. What would you do?

Scenario: Easter week, we traveled almost 1200 miles to see my DH's family up in Illinois. We really hoped that this time the visit would be more pleasant than the prior three times we have gone, but this time it ended up being even worse.

We arrive Wed night and stayed with my DH's older Brother, DH gets terribly sick on Thurs, he is sick for three days.

Friday, I happened to notice that the rental car we had from Avis had been rented to us with an expired tag. I called them because I was afraid of getting cited for it and they have the audacity to tell me to drive it 120 miles back to the airport and trade it in for another. I refused and told them to bring me another one or better yet, just send someone with a sticker to update it. They hired some guy out of Chicago to drive a rollback all the way to us, drop off the new car and pick up the other.

Saturday evening BIL that we are staying with comes in trashed (drunk) around 1-1:30 am and starts laying in on his girlfriend, cussing, screaming and having a fit. He woke her up to do this, she had been asleep for over two hours prior to him coming home. My DH tells his brother to cool it. The two of them have words and the drunk BIL kicks us out of his house at about 2am Easter morning. The only good thing about this is that our son was staying the night over at my younger BIL's house so that he could play with all of our nieces and nephews. I am very thankful for that because at least he was not exposed to the madness.

We call the younger BIL to let him know what is going on and we figured we would just go to a hotel, but he insisted that we come to his place and stay instead, so we did.

Easter day went pretty well, except for the occasional rantings we had to listen to that came from my alcoholic Mother in law. We managed to enjoy the day with the kids in spite of her and my drunk BIL didn't even bother to show up for Easter dinner.

Monday, we visit the cemetery where my Father in law was buried in March of 2000. We couldn't find his plot so we stopped and asked where it was. The caretaker showed us and we were surprised to find out that the grave was not marked. No headstone or footstone, nothing. I remarked that my FIL was a highly decorated Vietnam Veteran (along with his medals, this man actually had four purple hearts!) I told the caretaker that I would contact the VA about a footstone myself since no one else in the family had bothered to. We were immediately told that no markers of any kind could go down on his grave because the plot was never paid for! In seven years, no one up there seemed to care enough to pay the $300 for the plot, not even one penny of it had been paid! She said that the cemetery was in the middle of trying to get a judgment against my MIL for the money. I couldn't let this go on, so I paid for the plot. No one else may have cared, but we do, so we took care of it.

The next afternoon, we left and needless to say, we were glad to finally be at home.

We have heard nothing from the BIL that threw us out and my DH is getting more angry at him by the day. They have always been really close up until this and I don't know if I should let it alone to see if he comes around to apologize, or if I should call him and try to assist in piecing back their relationship. My DH is still angry at his brother and I do not blame him. Hell, I am angry at him too, but I am willing to try and get past it for the sake of the family. They don't need to go on forever with this bridge between them. My DH says we didn't do anything wrong (which I know we didn't) so he is waiting to see if his brother takes it upon himself to call and work it out.

What would you guys do? Part of me wants to call the brother and tell him to get bent, part of me wants to call him and try to get the ball rolling on working it out between them and part of me just wants to say good riddance and completely leave it alone. HELP!

Andrea

pepperpot
04-19-2007, 06:22 AM
No one should get in the middle of two sibling's relationship, they will end up the loser and it will get blown out of proportion. I know this and have seen this numerous of times. Let the brothers work it out on their own if they want to.

On the other hand, you do have a relationship with your BIL that you are entitled to express your thoughts on.....why should you, his guest, bear the brunt of his poor classless behavior. Tell him to get himself some help, you do not need his problems to become yours. Good riddance.

((hugs)) for you and DH for stepping in and taking care of your FIL's plot. That was a very good thing, God takes note of things like this. ;)

Sounds like a rough trip, if it were me, I wouldn't be making that trip again for a long, long, long time. Life is short, spend it doing quality things with quality people. Good riddance.

Njean31
04-19-2007, 06:54 AM
i'm sorry that happened to you but that would be my last trip. they would have to come see us from now on.

Tasha405
04-19-2007, 07:31 AM
i'm sorry that happened to you but that would be my last trip. they would have to come see us from now on.

That's what I was going to say too!

I don't think I would step into the middle of the fight either. Let them work it out on their own. It may bother your DH if he finds out you called his brother about it.

So sorry you had a trip from hell. It sounds a lot like some of my family though.

That was so sweet of you to pay for your FIL's plot. It's sad that no one in his family seemed to care enough to even pay for it.

I went to visit my Great Grandmother's grave a few months ago and hers also has no kind of markings at all. She is buried next to some family that do, so that's how I was able to find her. It broke my heart. I'm working on getting her some kind of headstone/marker made.

Quaker_Parrots
04-19-2007, 09:00 AM
Stay out of it. It is between the 2 brothers, and you will only make your DH more mad by trying to help. Lol, if it would make you feel better, you could tell BIL to go get bent.

tljohn123
04-19-2007, 09:58 AM
I agree with everyone else.....this is between your hubby and his brother. But here's something for you. Never ever ever try and reason with a drunk. It doesn't work.

Kudos to you for paying for your FIL's plot. Shame on your MIL for never doing it. You are a good person and a good friend too.

I'm sorry things didn't work out for you on Easter. You coulda stayed at my house :))

Call me if you need to talk g/f...huggssss

freeplease
04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
You should be grateful your DH wasn't out with, and driving home with the drunk BIL. It could have ended much worse.

Good for you for stepping up and honoring your FIL. Families just plain suck sometimes. :rolleyes:

Kelsey1224
04-19-2007, 10:56 AM
I agree with everyone else...stay out of it!!! And...stay home from now on. That family isn't worth your time or money. It seems like you must have married the only decent one in that family. :)

MistyWolf
04-19-2007, 12:16 PM
I personally would stay out of it. If DH is mad let him be .. he has every right to be mad. If it were me, my brother would be calling me apologizing .. not the other way around.

tsquared
04-19-2007, 05:03 PM
Stay out of it and then some..........getting in between 2 siblings and being married in is not a good mix. Your hubby has to get mad before any of the stuff is going to come to a head and end.

andreame70
04-19-2007, 07:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I agree with all of you as well. I have decided to stay out of it. As much as I hate seeing this happen, it is best for me to let things fall where they fall. I really hope that my BIL finds it within himself to call DH at some point and apologize.

Kelsey, you know it is funny what you said about me marrying the only decent one in the family. Other people that know DH's family up there have come up to me and said the same thing. Most of these people I had never even met. It is a different style of living up there. It seems like almost everyones life revolves around alcohol, every single day. For example, if they decide to have a birthday party, it is done at the bar. They cook Thanksgiving dinner and have it at the bar. My FIL's visitation for his funeral in 2000 was at the bar. It was and still is the craziest thing I have ever seen.

I can go out and have a beer or two, or maybe a couple of mixed drinks every now and then. However, I have more important things to do other than bar hop and there is no way in hell I could do it every night like they do. The sooner that my in laws realize that they cannot solve their problems by sitting on a bar stool, the better off they will be.

I think I am going to have to wash my hands of it all together. It had been seven years since our last visit. When we left that time, we swore it would be a long time before we ever went back. It seems that every time we go, we are once again reminded of why we should never return. It is sad really.

As far as them coming to visit. I can handle visits from the BIL's, but the MIL is one that I cannot deal with. If anyone remembers, a few years ago I posted about her packing up her truck and showing up at our house unannounced, ready to move in indefinitely. She was seriously depressed, mostly from her daily alcohol consumption and she had threatened to kill herself several times while she was here. We tried so hard to get her help but she refused. She began drinking more heavily and driving herself home to our house drunk at night. DH put a stop to it and made her leave. We could not have that around our son and we sure didn't want it around us.

Andrea

PrincessArky
04-20-2007, 04:00 AM
From reading some of your posts here it is so easy to see that you are a very kind person and I am so sorry that you guys had such a terrible time. Next time you have time to go away from home......go the other direction and have a REAL vacation :)

AngelGrim
04-20-2007, 05:18 AM
Im so sorry you had a bad visit, don't waste the time with people that dont cherish you, you can have a lot better holiday doing something you enjoy instead, you showed maturity and heart doing what you did for your FIL and at least you won't feel the guilt for not caring. Sad that your dhs family is so bad, hope you feel better, would let the brothers deal with each other, then that way you don't have any involvment if they never speak to each other again, went through that here and I don't have to worry about my dh and his family thinking that it was partially because of me that they don't speak.