PDA

View Full Version : slowly....slowly

tljohn123
04-17-2007, 07:02 AM
Things are going a bit better, still very stiff and sore in the mornings espicially. I took my dog (little chihuahua) back home on Monday-=--even tough everyone misses him at the other house :P, that seems to be working out ok. I accidently knocked him off the bed this am. I haven't been using my walker the last couple of days---just an experiment, still goes with me where ever I go, and that's not far. And I'm ready to throw my brace at the next car coming down the street heehehe. All in all, I guess things are better. The drugs are tolerable, though I don't like taking them at all.

Was able to go visit my aunt and uncle last week, hour car ride. Was VERY tired when I got home, but I was able to do it. Was also able to go to Walmart with my mom. Now that wasn't very fun, but I did it.

Just wanted to give an update!

irishchick
04-17-2007, 08:58 AM
im sorry , i missed what happened to begin with?
i hope you heal fast !!

freeby4me
04-17-2007, 09:46 AM
Glad to hear things are coming along as it should be. How long till you can actually move around better and begin living normally again??
Irishchick, TLJohn had back surgery.

earnhardt1
04-17-2007, 11:29 AM
may i ask what kind they want hubbys to get back surgery adn he is afraid to

tljohn123
04-17-2007, 12:27 PM
Ok, I had a fusion done at the l-5 and s-1 level. I was in the hospital longer than anticipated just because of allergic reactions. I had what was referred to as 'minimally invasive'---the surgery took about 5 hours I think the doc said, but I didn't have to have a bone graft. The surgery was easy, just the recovery time is slow. I have to wear a brace, but I don't know how long for though. The nice part about this is---there is no numbness or tingling in my legs now!

Earnhardt, what kind of surgery do they want your hubby to have???

I'm fast learning NOT to over do it.....cuz it hurts! I can dress myself and take my own showers, but I still can't lift anything, which they don't want you to do anyway.

Charley01
04-17-2007, 12:30 PM
a statement from my DH wear the brace....wear the brace...wear the brace

earnhardt1
04-17-2007, 12:33 PM
his 5th disk is dry an the there is a problem with the 4th also... all we know is the physical therapist said he would need surgery and we should make appt to see surgeon

tljohn123
04-17-2007, 01:26 PM
his 5th disk is dry an the there is a problem with the 4th also... all we know is the physical therapist said he would need surgery and we should make appt to see surgeon

I had an excellent doc! this is the same area mine was at, and I think it may help. He'll be in a lot of pain either way, but at least with the surgery, it will go away. However, my doc says that a lot of people get relief, but a lot of people don't. Tell him to make an appt!

I AM wearing the brace...but I don't like it lol

gobs101
04-17-2007, 01:40 PM
Had the fusion surgery in 04 in my lower back. fused last 4 disks and got 2 new cages to go with them. surgery was the best thing, as you say the recovery is a little mind bending. However I was up and ready to go in days, slow but could get around great. WEAR the Brace even if it bugs the He!! out of you so your spine is streight!! It also makes walking more bearable. Did they give you the fancy new thing with the magnets in to sleep in? I loved mine it sure did help the fusions heal much faster. Good luck!!