PDA

View Full Version : How many of you are regular blood donors?

Aloha from paradise
04-15-2007, 04:55 PM
I started to donate blood over 30 years ago. My Mom needed surgery and we were told if we donated blood to replace what she used then she wouldn't have to pay for the blood. I really enjoy being able to help save lives. My blood type is A- so the blood bank really likes me:) Do you know what type your blood is? This is a breakdown of the blood types.
U.S Blood Types

O+ 37.4%
B+ 8.5%
A- 6.3%
B- 1.5%
A+ 35.7%
O- 6.6%
AB+ 3.4%
AB- .06%

evrita
04-15-2007, 04:58 PM
O- 6.6%

Thats me but I dont donate due to low iron and meds I take and I can give to anyone of my family members but they cant give to me only one person can give and thats my brother 2000 miles away.

MistyWolf
04-15-2007, 05:13 PM
A+ here and I used to donate regularly but haven't in years. Probably wouldn't take it now cause I am anemic .. I don't like taking iron pills .. lol.

Heidi
04-15-2007, 05:22 PM
A+, they don't want mine because I've had a tatoo in the last 3 years. I don't know that I could anyway, I'm a whimp when it comes to needles. I passed out when they had to draw blood for a test.

nanajoanie
04-15-2007, 05:42 PM
Proud of you for donating blood but not me. I about hit the nurse when she has to give me a shot.:eek:

JKATHERINE
04-15-2007, 05:58 PM
I'm O- and I used to donate blood regularly...but I've been pregnant a lot in the past three years (lol) so that's made it difficult. After this baby I'll jump back into donating regularly. :)

queenangie
04-15-2007, 06:11 PM
I have tried twice - 1st time anemic, 2nd time gave 1/2 unit and too many platelets. I was doing it for a friend who was having surgery and I got stuck many times just to get a good vein. It was a good cause, so it did not hurt.

High 5's to those who donate blood! Keep up the good work!

buttrfli
04-15-2007, 06:24 PM
A+

I donate blood and plasma on a regular basis.

I started donating plasma for the money (about $130/mo) and kept doing it after a friend of mine's DD bleed to death from hemophilia (they didn't know she had it) and I learned that plasma is used for hemophilia patients.

I do take breaks every few months from donating plasma... I can't stand the taste the saline leaves in my mouth.

Blackerose
04-15-2007, 06:30 PM
I'm AB+ and currently I am anemic because of chemo so I can't donate. I've only donated when family members were having surgery. After 15 years as an RN, I saw a lot of questionable practices by some hospitals, including selling blood so I won't do it unless it will benefit a friend or family members.

Specialk
04-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Both my sons ages 23 & 20 donate regularly and the Blood Bank even called here one time for one of my sons, guess they needed his blood for a little girl, he went right down there and gave. Now, I would loveeeeee to donate but I need to know the rules on it. You see, I have had two blood transfusions 2 yrs ago during Open Heart surgery. I have had a Double bypass done on 01/2005 and then three mos. later, that surgery failed and caused me to have another heart attack and had to have a Triple Bypass done. So, dont know if they would take my blood when I have had heart problems and the transfusions???? I would be down there in a heartbeat if I could donate. So, if anyone knows the rules, please post and let me know, thanks bunches!!!

onfire4god57
04-15-2007, 07:42 PM
A big thank you to all of you who do donate. I am one of those users of donated blood. I have to get blood transfusions every couple of months, and it sure is greatly appreciated.

We unfortunately don't have the swap out program here, so I still have to pay for my transfusions even though all my family donates on a regular basis. And here you also don't get paid to donate. That would be nice though for the ones that do.

ahippiechic
04-15-2007, 08:15 PM
AB+ here, but can't donate because of chemo at the moment, but have always donated before.

Katt
04-15-2007, 08:26 PM
I do every couple of months. I also volunteer during the drives, taking vitals etc, so we can get as many people in as possible. They always want me to give plasma but I never have the time, I usually need to get in and out between classes.

Buttrfli, check with the OBI there. Hemopheliacs can't use plasma that has been donated by people who were paid. That's what they told me here. Those plasma cells can be used in testing etc, but not for patients. I keep forgetting to ask the hospital while I'm there and only think of it when they ask me to donate during a drive.

SpecialK, I don't think you can donate if you've ever had a transfusion.

Here, you can donate a year after you have had a piercing or tattoo, as long as you know the place that did it. Our blood institute has files on acceptable places, so they don't hold the tattoo against you if it's from a certified/checked place.

Katt
04-15-2007, 08:30 PM
Buttrfli, check with the OBI there. Hemopheliacs can't use plasma that has been donated by people who were paid. That's what they told me here. Those plasma cells can be used in testing etc, but not for patients. I keep forgetting to ask the hospital while I'm there and only think of it when they ask me to donate during a drive.

Okay, so I finally looked. :p It can only be used to make drugs etc, by pharmaceutical companies.

Q: Why are some blood donors paid while others are not?
A: In the U.S., blood and blood components used for transfusion to patients must be donated by volunteer, unpaid donors. This is one way in which blood collectors can assure a safe blood supply. Paid blood donors can only donate plasma, and this plasma is then used by pharmaceutical companies to make drugs. This plasma goes through a great deal of processing to insure its safety. Blood for transfusion does not go through the same processing.

Jolie Rouge
04-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I am O+ and donate regularly.

Specialk
04-15-2007, 08:39 PM
Katt,
Thanks for letting me know, I had sorta figured that but there was a tiny bit of hope that I could donate, oh well, I am grateful for those who do donate!!!!

killbarney
04-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I used to, regularly-as evidenced by the closet full of t-shirts I'd get for donating lol. I can't anymore because of medical problems, but sure wish I could.

Aloha from paradise
04-15-2007, 09:45 PM
I've never been paid to donate. We don't even have a blood bank here to draw blood. They come over from Oahu and collect our blook every 8 weeks.:)

mirage7000
04-16-2007, 03:50 AM
Did a couple of times but it took so long for it to come out. Could be because I have low blood pressure. Almost passed out after.

buttrfli
04-16-2007, 04:44 AM
Okay, so I finally looked. :p It can only be used to make drugs etc, by pharmaceutical companies.

Q: Why are some blood donors paid while others are not?
A: In the U.S., blood and blood components used for transfusion to patients must be donated by volunteer, unpaid donors. This is one way in which blood collectors can assure a safe blood supply. Paid blood donors can only donate plasma, and this plasma is then used by pharmaceutical companies to make drugs. This plasma goes through a great deal of processing to insure its safety. Blood for transfusion does not go through the same processing.

I only know what they told me LOL

PrincessArky
04-16-2007, 07:33 AM
A- here and I have never donated

now if someone wants to offer to watch my kids for me I will :)

bro is AB- and he gives all the time :)

ahippiechic
04-16-2007, 07:40 AM
My BF also donates, but he had to wait a year after his last tattoo and they gave him a form to have filled out by the tattoo shop.

tough guy
04-16-2007, 11:07 AM
Im AB+ and i started donating out of high school, about 11 yrs ago, but they wont let me now b/c i am anemic, dont take iron pills and i just got a tat.. but one day I hope to start again.