PDA

View Full Version : Help - how to file insurance claim???

kyswpgrl
04-09-2007, 06:55 PM
As many years as I've been buying/selling online, I've never had to do an insurance claim. I sold a clock on Ebay and it arrived to the buyer's address broken. I know it wasn't broken when I mailed it out as I checked it both before I listed it up for auction AND when I was packing it up to be sent. It was in its own box placed in a larger box with thick paper surrounding it so it didn't move around. The buyer thinks because it was in two boxes that it couldn't have broken in transit and insists I broke it beforehand. :rolleyes: I have 100% feedback and I wouldn't want to receive a broken item, so I sure as hell wouldn't sell it that way.

Anyway, the lady DID happen to purchase insurance on the package. I was reading on the USPS website regarding it and it still isn't answering all of my questions. Who needs to file? The buyer or seller? She has all of the items and packaging, so to me it just seems logical that she print out the claim form and take it to her local post office. However, I did read it can take up to 30 days to be reimbursed. So if she returns it, will the money be sent to her or me? I don't want to refund her money and then she gets the insurance money on top of it. I'm already at a loss as it is. :o

I hate to make her file the claim though since it was my item to begin with, but it doesn't seem practical for her to return it to me first. Do I have her file the claim? Or do I have her return it, refund her money, and THEN try to collect on the insurance??? I'm so lost! Help!

wyozozo
04-09-2007, 08:15 PM
Can't help with the claim, BUT I would insist she send a photo of the "broken" clock before proceeding.

kyswpgrl
04-10-2007, 03:17 AM
She did already send some pictures. She claims something on the back that holds it up was broken, but I couldn't tell. There was one small piece broken off the front. I'm not sure how it would have gotten broke. I'm thinking if she didn't like it she could have just snapped it off herself. Oh well...I'll let her deal with the insurance claim.

buttrfli
04-10-2007, 04:45 AM
I have never had to file with USPS, but I know that the seller has to file with fedex.

I would tell her to take it to the post office and find out. They are going to have to see the broken item, so if she can file, it will save an extra shipping cost.

I would give her 2 choices. She pays to send it back and you refund her or she can go file the insurance claim.

kyswpgrl
04-10-2007, 06:15 AM
I sent her the online link for the USPS that details how to file a claim. I told her to print out a claim form, a copy of our Paypal transaction, and take all of the packing materials and broken item to her local post office. Then she should get her refund within 30 days. I told her to let me know when she does this so that I can keep up with everything. I haven't received a response from her yet and she hasn't left a negative yet either. *knocks on wood*

whatever
04-11-2007, 01:00 PM
Okay, here is what i know. A coworker of my dh sold some stuff to a guy. Anyway he really only wanted one thing and the coworker thinks he broke the stuff on purpose, but at anyrate, whoever pays for the insurance is the one who has to file the claim. so if you payed for it, you file. Is she payed, she files. Hope that makes some sense and helps:)

kyswpgrl
04-11-2007, 01:07 PM
She paid for the insurance, but I purchased it because I sent the item. On the USPS website it says either party can file the claim as long as they have details of the transaction, the item/packaging, and the insurance information. I did hear back from the girl and she gave me this story of how she's unable to go to the post office and her boyfriend (whom the clock is for) is too busy to do it. I told her I didn't know how I could help her unless she returned the item either to me or the post office.

She emailed me back saying she fixed the clock with some krazy glue and it was fine. :confused: She was saying how she could leave me negative feedback, but wouldn't since I had kept in contact with her and was nice. I've also already left her positive feedback after I received her payment. Anyway, she's now insisting on keeping the clock and not doing anything else about it. I did refund her shipping costs ($6.30) even though I didn't have to and I really don't think I'm at fault in this situation. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Now I pray that it's all behind me and she doesn't try to get the rest of her money. LOL

earnhardt1
04-11-2007, 01:13 PM
goodluck

Pepsi4me
04-12-2007, 04:52 AM
She paid for the insurance, but I purchased it because I sent the item. On the USPS website it says either party can file the claim as long as they have details of the transaction, the item/packaging, and the insurance information. I did hear back from the girl and she gave me this story of how she's unable to go to the post office and her boyfriend (whom the clock is for) is too busy to do it. I told her I didn't know how I could help her unless she returned the item either to me or the post office.

She emailed me back saying she fixed the clock with some krazy glue and it was fine. :confused: She was saying how she could leave me negative feedback, but wouldn't since I had kept in contact with her and was nice. I've also already left her positive feedback after I received her payment. Anyway, she's now insisting on keeping the clock and not doing anything else about it. I did refund her shipping costs ($6.30) even though I didn't have to and I really don't think I'm at fault in this situation. It just seemed like the right thing to do. Now I pray that it's all behind me and she doesn't try to get the rest of her money. LOL

Sounds like maybe she was trying to keep the clock & get a refund. When she found out she would have to take it to the Post office maybe she realized that it looked like she broke it herself (and maybe she did).

Glad it worked out ok.

kyswpgrl
04-12-2007, 06:26 AM
Sounds like maybe she was trying to keep the clock & get a refund. When she found out she would have to take it to the Post office maybe she realized that it looked like she broke it herself (and maybe she did).

Glad it worked out ok.

I was thinking the same thing. If she took all of the packaging to the post office they would realize it didn't get broken in transit. However, she could have (and probably still could) file with Paypal to try and recoup the entire payment from me. I refunded her shipping, have saved all of her emails, and then moved the rest of my money out of the account just in case. LOL