PDA

View Full Version : could it be a milk allergy ?? ( a tad gross)

gonnascream
04-09-2007, 02:10 PM
my one year dd has had the most horendous poops ever the last few days.

We took her off of baby formula and switched her to whole milk, which was going fine, then yesterday it started:eek:

it smelled like rotten eggs and had the texture of butter. SAME COLOR TOO :eek:

I don't remember my other 2 kids ever crapping country crock spread :p

So I went and bought some of that edens soymilk, cause dh thinks she might be lactose intolerant. I dunno.....I just know I can't butter a bisuit for awhile without gagging.

pepperpot
04-09-2007, 02:23 PM
How long ago did you switch and did you switch all at once or slowly wean her onto whole milk? (It may be a shock to her system.)

P.S. I'll skip the biscuit, but thanks anyway.....:p

Can you call the pediatrician? Sometimes they'll talk to you over the phone without having to make a visit.

gonnascream
04-09-2007, 02:25 PM
slowly weaned her. A little formula, a little milk, until it was just all milk

pepperpot
04-09-2007, 02:27 PM
slowly weaned her. A little formula, a little milk, until it was just all milk

Slowly can be different for different people. Time wise, over a one week, two weeks, etc.? Did you progressively increase the milk while decreasing the formula?

She also may have picked up a virus along the way too which would have nothing to do with the milk.

I believe lactose intolerant people also get a lot of gas......has her gas increased?

earnhardt1
04-09-2007, 02:36 PM
My lil guy couldnt drink milk till he was 16 months... had to stay on formula,and then he had to go straight to 2% milk

evrita
04-09-2007, 02:40 PM
http://www.blinkyou.com/image_bank/glitters/buttermybutt.gif

MistyWolf
04-09-2007, 04:14 PM
http://www.blinkyou.com/image_bank/glitters/buttermybutt.gif

LOL!!

Not sure why your little one is having problems, but I hope she's feeling better soon.

myashley89
04-09-2007, 04:17 PM
My dd was lactose intolerant and milk products gave her alot of gas and constipation. She always drank lactaid after she was too old for formula. Her allergy to dairy was so bad, it would give her stomach cramps too. I don't remember anything like you described, tho.

It make be like pepperpot said and maybe she just picked up a virus or something and have nothing to do with the milk.

evrita
04-09-2007, 06:18 PM
I had an allergy to milk and it would do that to me. Also just so you are aware there is something with a wheat rye and gluten allergy that can cause the same problem and it will even take the skin right off the butt. I would say if she isnt better by tommorow call the Dr and ask what they say. My DD had to drink Lactaid milk growing up and left me tell you she had what you described but it went from the bottom of her neck to her ankles I didnt know where to pick her up. Good luck and dont hold off too long.

pepperpot
04-09-2007, 07:15 PM
I had an allergy to milk and it would do that to me. Also just so you are aware there is something with a wheat rye and gluten allergy that can cause the same problem and it will even take the skin right off the butt. I would say if she isnt better by tommorow call the Dr and ask what they say. My DD had to drink Lactaid milk growing up and left me tell you she had what you described but it went from the bottom of her neck to her ankles I didnt know where to pick her up. Good luck and dont hold off too long.

That would be celiac disease, an allergy to wheats/gluten. Causes gastrointestinal discomfort and can have rash like/blistery/itching dermatitis as well.

cathych
04-09-2007, 07:32 PM
you said it was a "baby". How old?

gonnascream
04-10-2007, 03:15 AM
1 year

justme23
04-10-2007, 04:26 AM
Okay, I'm not a mom... so take my opinion w/ a grain of salt. My cousins son (who I kept when she went back to work for about 6 months) was lactose intollerant... even to his formula. He did not have diahreah(sp) but he was constapated like crazy... it was so horrible, I actually sat there and cried w/ him a couple of times. So they switched him to soy formula and that DID (If I remember correctly) give him the trots. So they switched him to "lactose free" and that seemed to do the trick.

I do have a question though... did you happen to give any new juice around the same time you started switching to the milk? The only time we ever had any thing happen like what you described, to the T, was when he was given pear juice. It was so much like a natural laxative that we had to dillute it 4 or 5 to 1 or he would be covered in so much watery butter from head to toe that we would ALL be sick. We didn't know it was going to do it so we gave him the whole bottle undiluted the first time... the second time his aunt gave it to him... it litterally tore his little hiney up too, was like pure acid. Anyways, just throwing ideas out there.

Kyla Kym
04-10-2007, 06:29 AM
So they switched him to "lactose free" and that seemed to do the trick.

While we are on the subject, could someone please tell me what brands of milk, ice cream & sour cream you can buy for adults that have became lactose intolerant? My husband can't tolerate dairy products anymore. He hasn't went to the doctor yet, I just put 2 and 2 together and figured it out. But I haven't noticed any products in the dairy section that says lactose free. So could someone please tell me what to look for?

evrita
04-10-2007, 06:41 AM
They make brands out there that are by Lacataid now but 13 years ago they didnt and Kyla there is a pill form you can take also of the lactaid. Also Tofutti is another one it is made with Soy and they usally have free coupons they send out http://www.tofutti.com/index.asp

Kyla Kym
04-10-2007, 06:47 AM
They make brands out there that are by Lacataid now but 13 years ago they didnt and Kyla there is a pill form you can take also of the lactaid. Also Tofutti is another one it is made with Soy and they usally have free coupons they send out http://www.tofutti.com/index.asp
Thanks for the information. I got him some of the pills but he is still leary of dairy because sometimes the pills don't work right for him. What exactly do you do with tofu??? I bought a package once and let it ruin because I didn't know what to do with it. LOL :)

cathych
04-10-2007, 07:19 AM
you can put tofu with anything. It absorbs the flavor of what you are cooking, so it is a real boon to vegetarians. It is great in chili. This is a good site: http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=163.0

Kyla Kym
04-10-2007, 08:10 AM
you can put tofu with anything. It absorbs the flavor of what you are cooking, so it is a real boon to vegetarians. It is great in chili. This is a good site: http://vegweb.com/index.php?board=163.0

Thank you! :)

lucim
04-10-2007, 08:29 AM
Just a suggestion, but have you tried goats milk. I don't know if that can be purchased at a grocery store or what. When I was a baby-many years ago:p ) I could not tolerate any type of milk so the doctor had my mom put me on goats milk and it worked out just fine. I still cannot tolerate dairy products of any kind. I may be able to have an ice cream cone once or twice a year but that is it. I would call and talk to your doctor though. Hope that your little one gets over this soon. Good thoughts headed your way for both of you...

mosdata1
04-10-2007, 04:16 PM
Both Edy's & Breyers have lactose free flavors. If your store doesn't carry either one, speak to the store manager & ask them if they would order some for you. I know the local grocery store here (Publix) will do that for customers.

buglebe
05-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Ok how is the baby now?

pepperpot
05-13-2007, 05:25 AM
Yes, how is your baby doing?