PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Algebra!!!!

misspriss
04-04-2007, 12:15 PM
I've been going to Kaplan University, all online working towards my bachelor's degree. I've worked really-really hard and until now had kept a high g.p.a, but I'm taking Intermediate Algebra and I don't get it at all! I've spent hours onine with the college's tutors but I still don't understand it. I've asked literally everyone I know to help me with it and those who do know it haven't been able to get it into something I can understand... I'm so frustrated I just want to cry and give up. I've worked so hard and to lose it all because I can't figure out my math just sucks... So, if anyone is good at algebra and could try helping me out I would be eternally grateful. We're working on "Solve for x" and the problems look like this,
4. Solve for x: 2(2x − 4) − 3(4x − 1) + 2(x + 3) = 0

Anyway,thank you for listening and somebody please help...lol

dv8grl
04-04-2007, 12:29 PM
I can offer no help.. i took Algebra 3 times in high school and failed every time. Which is bizarre since I was an honors science student....

GOOD LUCK!!!!

Blackerose
04-04-2007, 12:40 PM
I tried Intermediate Algebra online and I just could not do it. Finally took it at the local community college and passed with a lot of help from the math tutors. Maybe your local library has math tutors?

freeby4me
04-04-2007, 12:47 PM
I tried Intermediate Algebra online and I just could not do it. Finally took it at the local community college and passed with a lot of help from the math tutors. Maybe your local library has math tutors?

Thats what I was thinking as well. Put an add in the newspaper if you have to. Try and find someone local who can help you for a nominal fee. Meet in a public place, coffee shop or library. Do whatever you can do learn this and KEEP on it, you've got so much ahead of you for that bachelors degree, Dont let this get in the way!!

buttrfli
04-04-2007, 12:48 PM
the only help I can offer is finding online algebra calculators http://www.algebrahelp.com/calculators/

I never did "get it" when I was in school... and if I did finally understand something, I'd never remember it an hour later lol

Fred12
04-04-2007, 01:29 PM
http://www.thebeehive.org/school/high/subjects.asp?subject=35

Hopefully this will help, you have to register.

Here is another one http://www.freemathhelp.com/algebra-help.html

Shann
04-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I was really good at algebra and even tutored my mom's bf's dd, but it's been awhile and w/o having a book in front of me (and I have no idea where mine is) I don't know that I could be of much help.

Fred12
04-04-2007, 01:38 PM
http://www.thebeehive.org/external_link.asp?r=/school/high/subjects.asp?subject=35&e=http://forum.swarthmore.edu/dr.math/tocs/algebra.high.html

This one looks like it explains it pretty good and gives you examples

aneisu
04-04-2007, 01:49 PM
You need to solve for x - to do this you need all of the numbers without x on one side of the equal sign and all of the numbers with x on the other. After that it is simple arithmetic.

2(2x-4)-3(4x-1)+2(x+3)=0 - Beginning equation
4x-8-12x+3+2x+6=0 - Break everything out of the parens
-6x+1 = 0 - Combine the x's and the numbers
-6x = -1 - put the x's on one side and the numbers on the other
x = 1/6 - you have your answer

Shann
04-04-2007, 01:51 PM
You need to solve for x - to do this you need all of the numbers without x on one side of the equal sign and all of the numbers with x on the other. After that it is simple arithmetic.

LOL I was just doing that on a sheet of paper and getting ready to come back and post.. I realized it was quite easy AFTER I hit submit. :p

misspriss does what aneisu wrote make sense?

irishchick
04-04-2007, 02:42 PM
I've been going to Kaplan University, all online working towards my bachelor's degree. I've worked really-really hard and until now had kept a high g.p.a, but I'm taking Intermediate Algebra and I don't get it at all! I've spent hours onine with the college's tutors but I still don't understand it. I've asked literally everyone I know to help me with it and those who do know it haven't been able to get it into something I can understand... I'm so frustrated I just want to cry and give up. I've worked so hard and to lose it all because I can't figure out my math just sucks... So, if anyone is good at algebra and could try helping me out I would be eternally grateful. We're working on "Solve for x" and the problems look like this,
4. Solve for x: 2(2x − 4) − 3(4x − 1) + 2(x + 3) = 0

Anyway,thank you for listening and somebody please help...lol

4x-8 -12x +3 +2x +6 =0
-6x +1 =0
-6x= -1
x=1/6

misspriss
04-05-2007, 10:00 AM
You guys are absolutely wonderful :) Thank you for all the help, support and encouragement, it helps me more than I can say. Anyhow, I still don't get it...

In the second line when everything is totaled, I don't get how to figure it? Is it 4 times -8, then what? Maybe if you could explain how it's figured, I might get it... I can grasp the rest but I can't figure out what you did to come up with 1/6...
Thanks again :)

Kelsey1224
04-05-2007, 10:36 AM
You guys are absolutely wonderful :) Thank you for all the help, support and encouragement, it helps me more than I can say. Anyhow, I still don't get it...

In the second line when everything is totaled, I don't get how to figure it? Is it 4 times -8, then what? Maybe if you could explain how it's figured, I might get it... I can grasp the rest but I can't figure out what you did to come up with 1/6...

Nope...it is 4 EX minus 8 minus 12 EX plus three plus two EX plus 6 equals zero. Don't mix up your times sign with EX.

BlueBerriTerri
04-05-2007, 10:54 AM
After combining, you will have 3 numbers with X

4x
-12x
2x

4x and -12x is -8x.
Then, -8x and 2x is -6x.

you have 3 numbers without x, which combined equals 1.

Then you end up with -6x + 1=0 and you know the rest.

buttrfli
04-05-2007, 11:03 AM
I suddenly feel REALLY stupid LOL

YankeeMary
04-05-2007, 11:22 AM

Welcome to my world...lol.:D

earnhardt1
04-05-2007, 11:27 AM
wow i just got a headache lol....

aussiegirl
04-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Could you send us another problem? This was fun

dv8grl
04-05-2007, 03:38 PM

totally!

:p

smoothmom
04-05-2007, 04:38 PM

When you get to this level,'x' usually doesn't mean 'multiply'. If you're multipling, you'll either see parenthses (7)(8)=56, or a dot, which I don't know how to do . x is generally a variable. It could be 'a', or 'w', or any other letter.

cubsgirl21
04-05-2007, 05:21 PM
Could you send us another problem? This was fun

Woohoo!! I'm not the only math nerd here. I prefer to think of us as mathletes! ;)

I want another problem too!

aussiegirl
04-05-2007, 07:18 PM
please, please, please, send some more problems

MistyWolf
04-05-2007, 08:10 PM
Hehehe .. Aussiegirl is a math-geek! .. If only they could see you now :) ;)

And you guys really are smart cause I haven't a clue on Algebra .. never even attempted it in school.

kelblend
04-05-2007, 08:41 PM
Use Pemdas is all I can tell you. The order of what to do first and so on.

P=parenthesis
E=exponents
M=multiplication
d=divide
a=addition
s=subtraction