PDA

View Full Version : Question for smart mommies...

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 01:14 PM
Our granddaughter, Gracie, lives with us. We have custody. Anyways, the doctor has us giving her cereal in her formula every bottle. My question is, what do we use? I have just been getting by cutting a slash in the top of rubber nipples, not easy to find, since they have switched mostly to silicone nipples, and I was told not to cut those? Anyways, when my kids were little a friend of mine had a bottle looking feeder that you put formula in with cereal. Anyone remember those? Where can I get one? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks so much.

wyozozo
04-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Here's a few places to order from:

http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/han/han00475.html

https://www.greatbabyproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?mfg=Dr+Browns

lavena1975
04-03-2007, 01:30 PM
I Cut The Nipple For All 4 Of My Kids For Them To Have Cereal With Their Formula... I Cross Cut It When They Got A Little Bit Older... I Never Used Anything Other Then A Regular Bottle And Nipple:)

Heidi
04-03-2007, 01:36 PM
oh, I had one of those for my daughter when she was a baby. When the baby sucks, the bottom of the bottle comes up and pushes the food to the top. That thing is probably one of the best inventions IMO. I bought McKenzie's at either Wal*Mart or Target.
Found this one on eBay:
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SASSY-INFANT-FEEDER-BABY-FOOD-CEREAL-NURSER-BOTTLE_W0QQitemZ180103306544QQihZ008QQcategoryZ204 02QQcmdZViewItem

They also make these things that are great for fresh foods:
http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?siteId=117&productId=307755&cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=Top%2520Sellers&cm_pla=Top%2520Sellers&cm_ite=null

freeby4me
04-03-2007, 01:51 PM
All I did was also cut a cross in the top of the nipple but I believe he only got cereal in his bottle once or twice a day, not everytime.

socks1211
04-03-2007, 02:07 PM
yep just cut the nipple i have playtex ventaire bottles and they already have an x but u have to cut it just a bit not alot and i only give daniel a cereal bottle at bed time

Rosina823
04-03-2007, 02:22 PM
How come the Dr told you to put cereal in every bottle? I have an 11 month old and I have never done that.I always spoon feed it to her since she was 4 months. With my son the Dr told me to do it at like 5-6 months cause he would spit up alot.It did not help so I didn't continue.But when I did do it I just cut the nipple a little bigger.You only put a little cereal in it anyways so it doesn't have to really big.I have had friends that used the feeder bottles and they loved them,but if you dont want to spend the money I would just cut the nipple..

mamalamas
04-03-2007, 02:26 PM
That is odd Rosina ... we have the same pediatrician and Dr. Evans told me to NEVER feed her cereal in the bottle? He said the baby eats too fast and it is harder for them to determine when they are full ... they tend to overeat this way ... AND that cutting the nipples causes a choking hazard to the baby. I am going to have to ask him about that next time I see him ... if all these doctors say it is alright ... why did he tell me different?

Tasha405
04-03-2007, 02:50 PM
How come the Dr told you to put cereal in every bottle?

I can't answer for her but I know I had to do this with both of my younger kids. They couldn't keep their milk down because it was too thin. So I had to use just a small amount of cereal in every bottle to help it thicken up a little. Its a form of reflux or something like that. HTH! :) **Sorry I think you posted about the same thing. I was just skimming through all the replies and seen that and thought I'd reply. Guess I need to show down and read everything from here on out. LOL**

Oh I loved those infant feeders (is that the name of them? lol) They were awesome for some of their cereals and baby foods. I didn't use them every time they were fed though. Mostly in the car while traveling and things like that. Every once in a while at the house.

For the cereal bottles, I also just cut a small cross into the tip of the nipple. I used the Playtex bag bottles.

kyswpgrl
04-03-2007, 03:17 PM
My son will be 7 months old this week and he's had to take cereal in every single bottle since he was 3 weeks old. He has acid reflux and it's the "silent" kind where he doesn't actually spit up, but refluxes and swallows it back down. So we started with thickening his bottles, put him on Zantac, and now he's on Prevacid two times a day and Zyrtec once a day. We do still thicken his bottles as well, even though he's now on solids.

As for what we used, we cut a Y shape in a latex nipple and it works perfect. You may have to mess with it a little bit to get the desired flow though and it took us a little while. Some people have told me there is a brand of nipples out there with the Y already cut in them, but I never could find them locally. It was much easier and cheaper for us to do it ourselves. Silicone didn't work though...it made the hole way too big and choked him.

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 05:14 PM
My son will be 7 months old this week and he's had to take cereal in every single bottle since he was 3 weeks old. He has acid reflux and it's the "silent" kind where he doesn't actually spit up, but refluxes and swallows it back down. So we started with thickening his bottles, put him on Zantac, and now he's on Prevacid two times a day and Zyrtec once a day. We do still thicken his bottles as well, even though he's now on solids.

As for what we used, we cut a Y shape in a latex nipple and it works perfect. You may have to mess with it a little bit to get the desired flow though and it took us a little while. Some people have told me there is a brand of nipples out there with the Y already cut in them, but I never could find them locally. It was much easier and cheaper for us to do it ourselves. Silicone didn't work though...it made the hole way too big and choked him.
BINGO!!! She never spits up or vomits but it does come up enough to irritate her sinus, giving her allergy like symptoms (stuffy nose, runny eyes, etc).
The feeder bottles are exactly what I am talking about and I can't find them in any store (B&M) anywhere. I just hate cutting the nipples as I think I am cutting them to big??? I nursed both of my kids so I didn't have to go through this. Thank Goodness!!!
Thanks so much for everyones help, I appreciate you smart mommies.

Tasha405
04-03-2007, 05:15 PM
BINGO!!! She never spits up or vomits but it does come up enough to irritate her sinus, giving her allergy like symptoms (stuffy nose, runny eyes, etc).
The feeder bottles are exactly what I am talking about and I can't find them in any store (B&M) anywhere. I just hate cutting the nipples as I think I am cutting them to big??? I nursed both of my kids so I didn't have to go through this. Thank Goodness!!!
Thanks so much for everyones help, I appreciate you smart mommies.
I got mine at Walmart. If you want I can check at ours and see if they have any. I bought all of mine in Tennessee though. lol

I checked the ebay link posted above and thats just like the ones I had. :)

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 05:20 PM
I got mine at Walmart. If you want I can check at ours and see if they have any. I bought all of mine in Tennessee though. lol

I checked the ebay link posted above and thats just like the ones I had. :)

Yes please. I will gladly pay you for the bottles and your time. Thanks so much.

Tasha405
04-03-2007, 05:27 PM
Yes please. I will gladly pay you for the bottles and your time. Thanks so much.

You're welcome and I'll let ya know what I find in the next few days. (probably tomorrow LOL)

PreciousDarlin
04-03-2007, 07:43 PM
I also bought the feeder bottles at Walmart when my kids were infants. Didn't use them much because they decided they liked eating the cereal off the spoon better. If you would like, I could also check here (in KY) and see if I can find them if Tasha isn't able to find them in Ohio.

Rosina823
04-03-2007, 08:39 PM
That is odd Rosina ... we have the same pediatrician and Dr. Evans told me to NEVER feed her cereal in the bottle? He said the baby eats too fast and it is harder for them to determine when they are full ... they tend to overeat this way ... AND that cutting the nipples causes a choking hazard to the baby. I am going to have to ask him about that next time I see him ... if all these doctors say it is alright ... why did he tell me different?

When the Dr told me to do that I asked him well I thought that was a big NO NO to do that..He said that I had already spoon fed it to him so it is ok..I only did it 2-3 times..It didn't seem to help so why bother...They say it can cause overweight kids due to over eating..Go figure Dr change there minds all the time.

Eyore
04-03-2007, 09:01 PM
This one looks like the one that is on ebay.
http://www.kidsurplus.com/sas627.html

These look the same just different places you can order them, I think the last one listed was a little cheaper.

http://www.babysupermall.com/main/products/sas/sas00627.html

http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Nurser-color-picture-bottle/dp/B00005BTPO

http://www.amothersdreams.com/pd_sassy_baby_food.cfm

tngirl
04-03-2007, 09:25 PM
I just made the hole bigger in the nipple. When you add the cereal to the formula, just add enough to thicken the formula just a bit. When my daughter was about 3-4 wks old I had to start feeding her the mix also. When she was born she guzzled her first bottle down...ALL OF IT!! And you know how babies usually "lose" weight after they are born? She didn't! She had to be fed every 2 hrs. We were in the hospital for 2 wks after she was born so when I went to her pediatrician with our problem of her wanting to eat all the time I had back up. This is when he recommended adding the cereal and it worked like a dream. Only problem, it also firms up their stool so you might end up with the baby becoming constipated. Every day I had to add some yucky brown stuff to her formula in order to keep her stool soft. You might want to watch out for that.

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 09:37 PM
I just made the hole bigger in the nipple. When you add the cereal to the formula, just add enough to thicken the formula just a bit. When my daughter was about 3-4 wks old I had to start feeding her the mix also. When she was born she guzzled her first bottle down...ALL OF IT!! And you know how babies usually "lose" weight after they are born? She didn't! She had to be fed every 2 hrs. We were in the hospital for 2 wks after she was born so when I went to her pediatrician with our problem of her wanting to eat all the time I had back up. This is when he recommended adding the cereal and it worked like a dream. Only problem, it also firms up their stool so you might end up with the baby becoming constipated. Every day I had to add some yucky brown stuff to her formula in order to keep her stool soft. You might want to watch out for that.

One step ahead...lol...she is on a stool softner. She was put on cereal at 12 days and it has made a HUGE difference. I am thankful that it is working as I am not huge on medications if there is a better way to try first.

As for her gaining weight, I do not think she is over weight. She was born 02/17 @ 6lbs. 11oz and now weighs 9 lbs. 14 oz. The doctor doesn't seem to think she is over weight. I would much rather her be a bit heavy then have her go through those horrible horrible stomach problems again. It was so pathetic to have to see her go through that. So so sad.

Thanks so much for everyones links and offers to go to a B&M. If any of you find them at your B&M let me know I will gladly buy them. Thanks.

tngirl
04-03-2007, 09:42 PM
Miranda was never overweight either...lol. That child can still pack away the food! (she is 24 now).

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Miranda was never overweight either...lol. That child can still pack away the food! (she is 24 now).

Miranda??? No way!!! We are going to adopt our gd and name her...
Miranda Grace. We call her Gracie now. When she gets older she can choose what she wants to be called, Miranda, Grace, Gracie, Randie. I like Randie with the ie my dh's name is Randy. But I really love calling her Gracie, it seems to fit as she is alive and well by the grace of God. We were calling her "Peanut" for the first 3 weeks of her life and decided she had to have a "real" name to call her...lol. Everyone also kept calling her "the Baby"...where's "the baby?" Hows "the baby" doing? Keep the noise down "the baby" is sleeping...lol.

tngirl
04-04-2007, 03:10 AM
Well, we know she is going to turn out as wonderful as my Miranda. Her middle name is Lyn (a derivative of mine...Lynn). Everyone calls her by her middle name except my brother and he calls her Mandy. He is the only one that she allows to call her by a nickname.