PDA

View Full Version : adhd and kids

earnhardt1
03-31-2007, 05:04 AM
what are the best treatmeant ideas i have heard that prmrose oil is a natural herbal treatment...but anyways here is the case.. my lil guy is 7 and hyper so the dr says do you want me to put him on meds for that? i was like what no testing nothing just medicate him? the dr said if i want he will write him a scrip and he doesnt need to test... i want to try herbal i think becasue he is on the following meds daily(he's a sick lil guy)
singular
clartin
albuterol
nebulizer
and another one i cant think of right now
what would you do?and i dont feel this interfers with school as he home schools

Willow
03-31-2007, 06:00 AM
My son takes Adderall XR for ADHD and there is only one type of cold medicine that he is allowed to take when he has a cold. I'm not a doctor but I don't think the ADHD medications would be safe to take with the medications that your son is taking.

earnhardt1
03-31-2007, 06:04 AM
that was my thoughts also i feel they would want to test him or something first and not just say hey lets medicate

Willow
03-31-2007, 06:12 AM
My son had to go in and see a psychologist and spent about two hours with her. She did a lot of observing but she also had tests that she gave him where he would have to put things together like little puzzles and stuff like that. I guess that part was to check his attention span. Then she would read things from a book and he would have to tell her what she just said. He's been on the honor roll the past two terms and he's in an advanced science and math class so kids with ADHD aren't dumb. He's always been very impulsive and sometimes makes bad choices but he's not dumb.

lavena1975
03-31-2007, 07:41 AM
my twins are on Adderall XR also... but it dont help with their anger issues!!!:(

Trishntx
03-31-2007, 08:03 AM
Did your doctor tell you that your son might be having an alternate reaction to the medication he is on???? I am one of those people who take a cold or allergy tablet and it has an adverse affect on me....I can't take them. And I know for a fact that Albuteral can make you feel like your climbing the walls.
Make sure he has a healthy diet. low carbs and sugars, less wheat products. Try diet and other means before you medicate. I had a son on Adderal for many years and what worked the best was behavorial modification. We would sit down quietly without distractions and do things so he could relaxa and concentrate. TV was the enemy for him....the noise of the constant TV did nothing but aggravate the situation. Good luck with your son.

cuddlebugg
03-31-2007, 08:24 AM
My son is also on Addrall XR, we've tried most of the others but they didn't seem to work. He is by know means dumb, gets excellent grades, pays attention in class, is great athletically. But if he misses two or three doses you can see a drastic difference in him.

YankeeMary
03-31-2007, 09:04 AM
When my son was first Dx, I about died. I immediatly went to the health food store to find an alternative (and me with a career in nursing...lol). I put him on something called "Calm Child". It worked great for about 2 yrs. then it no longer worked and by this time, I totally agreed with the doc. My son is Dx. with ADHD, yet he is not hyper at all. He is a strong ADD, but since he has impulses they use ADHD.
IMO if anyone has a child that is TRULY ADHD/ADD and they do not medicate them, then they are doing a HUGE diservice to their child. I am not talking about the kids that the parents just don't want to mess with, I am talking about a child with a true Dx. The difference meds make are remarkable and the child is able to be "normal" amongst his peers. Their ability to focus and pay attention allows them not to struggle in their environment. If someone tries with an alternative medication and it works, then I say more power to them, but remember once they do not work any longer, you have to choose prescription meds or nothing. It sure isn't easy being a momma.
Once I put my Steven on prescription medications the quilt damn near killed me, so one day about 3 weeks after we started the meds, I asked Steven, "What do you think about this new medicine?" He said, "I really like it, I have an inner calm!" That right there let me know I had done the right thing. That was in 3rd grade, now that he is a Junior in High School, he is still on meds. he doesn't mind taking them as he knows how much they level his mind out and gives him the ability to focus and concentrate on the tasks at hand. I tell him he doesn't have to take them on the weekends. He chooses to.
I wish you the best luck with this matter. I am sure that the doc wouldn't put him on something that would react badly with his current meds. I am sure he would find a medicine that would work with everything he is on. Do not be afraid to sit down and discuss this with the doc. If he doesn't have time to talk to you regarding this issue then maybe he isn't the doctor for your son. This is a big step in your childs life and you need a doc that you can talk to and ask questions.

Willow
03-31-2007, 10:58 AM
A couple of times Brian has had to go without his meds because either they ran out and I didn't get them filled in time or I couldn't find a pharmacy that had the right dosage. He's on 25 miligrams and the doctor told me that some pharmacies don't even carry that dosage so there may be times when I have try different pharmacies until I find it. Anyway he went a few days without it and he said mom when are you going to get my prescription filled. He feels the difference when he's not taking them.

earnhardt1
03-31-2007, 11:07 AM
i cant beleive our dr doesnt want to test i WILL NOT drug him without 100% proof t hat he has a prob

regor380
03-31-2007, 11:25 AM
My 9yr old daughter is ADHD and she takes Ritalin LA, plus she takes meds(geodon and clonidine) to sleep at night because her mind doesn't shut down and it became a tough situation, My daughter also went through testing which took place at school, and a very lengthy survey of some sorts to fill out at home.
She also was recently diagnosed a border line diabetic. so now we really have our hands full.

stephanyb
03-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Sometimes that is how a Doctor will test if the medication is right for your son. If they put him on it and it doesn't work, they know it's not the right medication. My son also has asthma and adhd. He takes zyrtec, albuteral, advair on a daily basis. He also takes strattara. He's been on these meds for at least 3 years and they all work well togather.

ahippiechic
03-31-2007, 02:59 PM
But without following the correct testing procedure, who do they knw that he needs meds at all?

earnhardt1
03-31-2007, 03:33 PM
But without following the correct testing procedure, who do they knw that he needs meds at all?

thats my point

ahippiechic
03-31-2007, 03:44 PM
I know. I was repling to the post above mine, but was heading out the door and got in a hurry and didn't quote. Nor spell very well.

LadyLuna81
03-31-2007, 04:47 PM
Be careful with any of the meds. My fiance was diagnosed as a child, back in the late 80's/early 90's when they were really forcing drugs. The meds caused hallucinations, nightmares, etc. and he now has nervous ticks and reoccurring nightmares from them. Just be careful

earnhardt1
03-31-2007, 05:03 PM
im not lettin them medicate them without a reason

Jolie Rouge
03-31-2007, 08:26 PM
... becasue he is on the following meds daily(he's a sick lil guy)
singular
clartin
albuterol
nebulizer

what would you do?and i dont feel this interfers with school as he home schools

My son is also on these meds and I find that the Abuteral and the nebulizer treatments make him much more hyper - and I have also noted this in two different children at the PDO where I work. Both of those children are usually pretty laid back little tykes - but BOY I know when Mom has given them a treatment before school. I would investigate the herbal alernatives before medicating him - and I would NOT be happy with the doc for offering a script without proper investigation. :mad:

Rosina823
03-31-2007, 09:28 PM
First of all, I think kids these days are medicated way too much!!! Kids are going to be kids.When I was little you never heard of kids being medicated to calm them down or to help them concentrate!! I know some kids need them but I bet most dont.Teachers always refer this to parents cause they cant handle all of those kids.My 5 year old is very hyper from the time he wakes up till bed time.If a Dr was to refer me to med him I would tell him to go to hell!!! I dont think kids should be on all those meds at such a young age unless MEDICALLY NECESSARY!!! Do you really like to see your children all comatose??? Not me, I want my kid to be a kid and enjoy himself.

aussiegirl
03-31-2007, 10:30 PM
Just a few quick questions. How much sugar does your son consume a day? How many hours of sleep does he get? Is he disciplined? How much TV a day does he watch? Is he bored? Does he have friends he plays with?

mamalamas
03-31-2007, 10:52 PM
My nephew .. who just so happens to be Rosina's son ....

A) is not loaded up on a sugar diet
B) he gets the recommended amount of sleep every night ... the child does get up early to go to school
C) is he disciplined? Naw ... Rosina lets him do WHATEVER he wants to do WHEN he wants to do it. OF COURSE HE IS DISCIPLINED!
D) he does NOT watch a lot of TV ... which answers the question, does he have friends .... YEAH .. because he is playing with them and not watching TV! Which answers the question ... NO ... he is NOT bored!

I watch him 3 days a week .... and the same rules apply at my house that apply at my sisters ... he is just hyper ... like many kids are. I DON'T believe in medicating children in most cases ... hell ...I say ... medicate me instead! ROFLMBO!

aussiegirl
03-31-2007, 10:57 PM
Mamma-
What's up with you? Who said I was targeting Rosy, do you have a complex?
Do you have any kids? I guess if you did, they probably don't eat sugar either huh-
Maybe some meds are needed for mamma
I actually agree with Rosy

aussiegirl
03-31-2007, 10:58 PM
Maybe Rosy's problem are her sitter-

Rosina823
03-31-2007, 11:02 PM
Maybe Rosy's problem are her sitter-

First of all my name is ROSINA not ROSY!! Thank you......Mama is a very
good sitter BTW.... Im glad that you agree with me..:D

mamalamas
03-31-2007, 11:03 PM
What is up with the Rosy? Her name is ROSINA!

And yes, I do have a kid .. as you know from your post in the Easter thread ... you did ask for my credit score :eek: And ... I eat no sugar and my daughters is VERY limited if that matters.

I am sure ROSINA'S problem is not her sitter.

I was clearly stating the facts about ROSINA'S son .. that is all ... I NEVER mentioned YOUR name did I? So where are you coming off with this attack on me?

Pretty frisky for a newbie don't you think?

aussiegirl
03-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Newbie, Oldbie, what's it matter. I was just joking about the sitter comment. You need to chill. I didnt ask you mamma for YOUR credit score, I was talking in general. Since when do you need to be a Oldbie to state your mind. I have been a guest for quite awhile, just observing.

mamalamas
03-31-2007, 11:15 PM
Ok now ... I don't need to chill ... I am medicated enough on my wine here. You don't need to chill either ... just having fun .... RELAX .... jump in and have some fun with it :D

aussiegirl
03-31-2007, 11:17 PM
Thats what I'm doing- just having a good time. But I dont need the wine to do it. HaHa J/K

mamalamas
03-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Well ... I have to bust out those credit cards to buy me something now don't I???? :eek: :D

OR ....... maybe I am overcompensating for being a whino? LMAO

earnhardt1
04-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Just a few quick questions. How much sugar does your son consume a day? How many hours of sleep does he get? Is he disciplined? How much TV a day does he watch? Is he bored? Does he have friends he plays with?

so r u saying if he watches tv he needs medicated? he sleeps 8-9 hrs...normal sugar.....he is always bored lol.... he has 2 friends next door...
normal disciplined....but i could be overcompensating becasue he does have a big screen tv for his xbox 360....:cool:

thumper
04-01-2007, 07:57 AM
careful with meds they can be worse

YankeeMary
04-01-2007, 08:20 AM
I am curious now that I have actually thought...lol...
What made the doctor suggest medicating him for ADHD? Sometimes a trained eye can detect ADHD/ADD, have you been seeing this same doctor for years and maybe he just knows your son? Were you complaining about your sons behavior or lack of concentration? I am not judging you in anyway but if you trust your doc enough to be taking your kid to him, then when he suggests medication, you should trust his judgment as well as ask a bazillion questions. I know there are worthless docs out there but I assume (shouldn't do that...lol) that your doc isn't one of those.

MistyWolf
04-01-2007, 08:47 AM
Mama, I don't think Aussiegirl was targeting Rosina .. and Earnhardt, I don't think she was attacking you, she seems to me to just be asking ??'s in general.

I still think it's kind of sad the way people get jumped on at BBS.

earnhardt1
04-01-2007, 08:50 AM
i dont think i jumped her for asking questions.. i answered them.. maybe i was a lil harsh if so im sorry

MistyWolf
04-01-2007, 09:15 AM
Yes you did answer them and you answered them honestly .. no apologies necessary on my end :) ;)

I personally agree with Rosina on this topic of ADHD and wish your son the best.

evrita
04-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Well here is my 2 cents worth. They shouldnt even be looking at meds without testing 1st my DD was tested and is boarderline ADD and I opted for no meds only training from a phychatrist who was trained in the behavior on how to handle it. She does have OCD\anxiety and we saw 2 DRs and went into therapy for 2 years and was put on meds to learn how to deal with it.

tigger4
04-01-2007, 09:57 AM
How long have you been seeing this doctor? We have been with our pediatrician for 8 years. She knows my kids inside and out. She knows when they are acting different than they normally do and asks me about it.

As far as medicating him, yes he should be tested.

But as far as the herbal and alternative things you are thinking of, they can cause far worse interactions with his regular medications than prescription medications can. At least your doctor knows what you can and can't take with certain medications, the health store people don't. The items you buy in the health store are not FDA approved and you don't always know what all is in them.

buglebe
04-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I use herbal medications for a few things. I think you have to be very careful with them. I don't know the history of the child but I know that no matter the age , albuterol is a hard drug on most people. My father took albuterol at age 84 and it definitely made him jumpy. My grown daughter takes it sometimes when her asthma gets bad and it makes her very nervous. So it is bound to do something to a child. Good luck. I don't know if all the above was serious or kidding around. I hope it was just kidding around. Sometimes subjects close to our heart can make us very sensitive. I know they do me.

okie
04-01-2007, 08:16 PM
My son has adhd and he had to go through several visits before being diagnosed. I refuse to medicate my son. I did alot of searching for alternative options. I went through this with my brother so I already knew some about adhd. He rarely ever gets sugar or caffeine. Something that I found while searching online works for me. When he is hyper, I give him a little coffee with some milk or mt. dew. Most people it will make hyper or wired but if you have adhd it won't. I was sceptical at first but it worked for my son and a better alternative to medicine.

ahippiechic
04-01-2007, 08:39 PM
The caffiene thing worked with my brother when he was a child too.

okie
04-01-2007, 09:06 PM
The caffiene thing worked with my brother when he was a child too.

When I first told my husband about it he thought I had lost my farking mind lol! Then when we seen it worked he told me to go stock up on the stuff.

speedygirl
04-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Remember that testing is subjective since there is no specific medical test to check like if you have diabetes and such. You are relying on a doctor's opinion. My DS was diagnosed with ADHD by his doctor and he wanted to medicate him. We got a second opinion and long story short my DS had some severe environmental allergies that caused similar symptoms to ADHD. Pick and choose your doctor's carefully. My poor guy would have been doped up for nothing.

evrita
04-01-2007, 10:20 PM
When I first told my husband about it he thought I had lost my farking mind lol! Then when we seen it worked he told me to go stock up on the stuff.

My newphew is the same way people look at us like we are out of our minds giving a kid some coffe but he mellows right out but he is big time ADD ADHD

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 02:05 AM
here's what i have come up with i know his meds make him a lil wired.... he can sit and watch a whole movie if he wants to..if he had adhd he would not want to right?

peanut92973
04-02-2007, 03:38 AM
my son was tested at school then i took the results to his doctor. they can kinda out grow it and learn to control it when they getolder. my son is now 13 and i took him off the meds and he is doing great hes still on the honor roll. you can control it by diet too but thats really hard they can't have anything with red dye in it.

peanut92973
04-02-2007, 03:40 AM
here's what i have come up with i know his meds make him a lil wired.... he can sit and watch a whole movie if he wants to..if he had adhd he would not want to right?

thats not always true my son has always been able to sit through a whole movie as long as it's something he likes. he can also sit for hours and play video games.

regor380
04-02-2007, 05:38 AM
My daughter can also sit and watch a whole movie and sit and play video games as well as play computer, and we were also told if she can't watch a movie or sit for more than x minutes,she must be hyper, but we found out that wasn't true. My daughter only takes as mich as she needs to ge through school because she can't seem to concentrate, she is easily distracted. She also has some learning problems. The whole coffee thing doesn't work to good on my child,sometimes its ok sometimes not.

YankeeMary
04-02-2007, 07:11 AM
Remember that testing is subjective since there is no specific medical test to check like if you have diabetes and such. You are relying on a doctor's opinion. My DS was diagnosed with ADHD by his doctor and he wanted to medicate him. We got a second opinion and long story short my DS had some severe environmental allergies that caused similar symptoms to ADHD. Pick and choose your doctor's carefully. My poor guy would have been doped up for nothing.

Just because a child is medicated for ADHD/ADD doesn't mean they are doped up. You would have no idea at all my son is medicated.

buttrfli
04-02-2007, 07:48 AM
thats not always true my son has always been able to sit through a whole movie as long as it's something he likes. he can also sit for hours and play video games.

same here. I only give my DD meds when shes going to school. Weekends and summer, she does not take them. She can bounce off the wall like a ping pong ball, but if a Pokemon movie comes on, she will sit and watch the entire thing.

I am not ADD/ADHD and I can't even sit through an entire movie LOL

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 07:52 AM
im sooooo confused lol

Jolie Rouge
04-02-2007, 08:00 AM
LOL - when we were kids there was no "ADD" - we were just B*A*D.

irishchick
04-02-2007, 08:00 AM
my son was diagnosed accurately with ADHD at like 3 years old. i felt i couldnt even live with him, it was so bad. the doctors, psych doctors said it was the worst case they had ever seen. he has been on meds since. he is 12 now. he has had some vacations from the meds. sometimes he doesnt have the meds before he goes to school, and the school never calls. no probs. ok grades, average id say. he is good at school, BECause he doesnt want to draw any attention to himself. he hates to be looked at, etc. he is very inward. At home, he is a hellion. agitates, aggravates, i guess hes trying to get our attntion in a bad way. its an everyday struggle.
Please get a second opinion, and make sure its not the other meds that are affecting him.. Parents...YOU will KNOW if your child has it..if you question it, then he prolly doesnt !!!

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 09:10 AM
i just keep telling myself he is a typical country boy lol

tigger4
04-02-2007, 09:10 AM
There are a lot of things that can contribute to hyper behaviour. For some kids it is sugar, others it is caffeine. Studies show that children who watch more than 2 hours of tv a day exhibit hyper behaviour. There are just too many things out there that without testing you will not know.

Have you spoke to your child's teacher? Does the teacher notice this behaviour at school?

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 09:32 AM
he home schools

ahippiechic
04-02-2007, 10:06 AM
I think I would try limiting his caffiene and sugar intake too dee if it helps any. Sure couldn't hurt.

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 10:08 AM
he really doesnt do caffiene and sugar alot. he drinks a gallon of milk a day and has some candy as a treat. he does send a lot of time playing his video games but he is a kid.......maybe he has been bored stuck inside all winter too

speedygirl
04-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by speedygirl

Just because a child is medicated for ADHD/ADD doesn't mean they are doped up. You would have no idea at all my son is medicated.

Yankee Mary What I meant/said by DOPED UP was that if my child was on medication for ADHD and he did not have it, he would be doped up! I in no way inferred that any child taking medication was doped up. I was giving an opinion on MY CHILD. As I previously stated, my child was diagnosed incorrectly and his doctor wanted to put him on meds which would have been harmful to him considering he DID NOT have ADHD.
Maybe you misread my post? I was talking about our personal experience and what could have happened if we did not seek a second opinion. My child would have been given very strong meds that he he did not need!!! I am sure I wouldn't be able to tell your child is on meds because he needs them so therefore they are performing their intended purpose. Put ADHD meds in a kid who doesn't need them, then you have an entirely different story. that is what I was saying.

aussiegirl
04-02-2007, 11:05 AM
Hello-
A gallon of milk is way to much to drink in a day. Milk has alot of sugar in it. I think there are 13grams of sugar in a 8oz glass. Also, if he drinks juice it should be limited to 4oz a day. (My MD just told me that). Playing video games to much is not good either. Also, watch what kind of video games he is playing. He could be way over stimulated. Good Luck, please dont take offense to this. I never had any idea how much sugar is in products. White bread is also loaded with sugar. Believe me, when my daughter has to much sugar in a day, I can tell.

he really doesnt do caffiene and sugar alot. he drinks a gallon of milk a day and has some candy as a treat. he does send a lot of time playing his video games but he is a kid.......maybe he has been bored stuck inside all winter too

LuvBigRip
04-02-2007, 11:07 AM
My son is severe ADHD/Tourettes. He was medicated at 4, after all other options were exhausted. He was a danger to himself due to absolutely zero impulse control. He was destructive, mean and scared the daylights out of me on more than one occasion. Counselling at age 4 was basically worthless for several reasons, but the main ones were he didn't vocalize well and he couldn't sit still for more than 2 seconds, and even them he had twitches and tics. I, along with his pediatrician, fought the insurance company to get him to a pediatric neurologist for proper testing. While he may have focus and impulse issues, his IQ has tested extremely high. The difference with him on meds was night and day. I thought I was raising a hit-man, because he seemed to have no conscience. It was just that he never noticed the 10 kids he mowed down because he was 2 miles ahead of the accident site before the kids hit the floor.

Years of counselling and behavior modification have helped enormously, but as I said before, would have never sunk in without the meds. He is now in 7th grade, completely off meds and doing well. He is an A/B student, but still attends a special ed integrated school. He excels at science and math, but still has reading and english problems. He understands how to control his impulses, and removes himself from the majority of situations before the melts down. Does he still have a long road ahead of him, yes. But did meds help him to learn the tools to succeed, absolutely.

The decision to place a child on medication should never, ever be taken lightly. Nor should that decision be ridiculed by anyone who has not walked a mile in that parents shoes. I am terrified to think where my 12 year old, beautiful son would be without both meds and counselling, along with close observation by both his father and myself, along with the doctors involved in his care. Meds alone cannot be the answer, parental care, counselling and doctor observation must be a part, not to mention academic IEP's.

aussiegirl
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
So glad to hear such a story with a nice ending.
You must be a great mom

My son is severe ADHD/Tourettes. He was medicated at 4, after all other options were exhausted. He was a danger to himself due to absolutely zero impulse control. He was destructive, mean and scared the daylights out of me on more than one occasion. Counselling at age 4 was basically worthless for several reasons, but the main ones were he didn't vocalize well and he couldn't sit still for more than 2 seconds, and even them he had twitches and tics. I, along with his pediatrician, fought the insurance company to get him to a pediatric neurologist for proper testing. While he may have focus and impulse issues, his IQ has tested extremely high. The difference with him on meds was night and day. I thought I was raising a hit-man, because he seemed to have no conscience. It was just that he never noticed the 10 kids he mowed down because he was 2 miles ahead of the accident site before the kids hit the floor.

Years of counselling and behavior modification have helped enormously, but as I said before, would have never sunk in without the meds. He is now in 7th grade, completely off meds and doing well. He is an A/B student, but still attends a special ed integrated school. He excels at science and math, but still has reading and english problems. He understands how to control his impulses, and removes himself from the majority of situations before the melts down. Does he still have a long road ahead of him, yes. But did meds help him to learn the tools to succeed, absolutely.

The decision to place a child on medication should never, ever be taken lightly. Nor should that decision be ridiculed by anyone who has not walked a mile in that parents shoes. I am terrified to think where my 12 year old, beautiful son would be without both meds and counselling, along with close observation by both his father and myself, along with the doctors involved in his care. Meds alone cannot be the answer, parental care, counselling and doctor observation must be a part, not to mention academic IEP's.

evrita
04-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Hello-
A gallon of milk is way to much to drink in a day. Milk has alot of sugar in it. I think there are 13grams of sugar in a 8oz glass. Also, if he drinks juice it should be limited to 4oz a day. (My MD just told me that). Playing video games to much is not good either. Also, watch what kind of video games he is playing. He could be way over stimulated. Good Luck, please dont take offense to this. I never had any idea how much sugar is in products. White bread is also loaded with sugar. Believe me, when my daughter has to much sugar in a day, I can tell.

Yup it does our 2% milk has 12 gms of sugar in it per 1 cup serving and you would be surprised where else sugar is hiding in ketcup ect.

aussiegirl
04-02-2007, 11:25 AM
It's amazing how much sugar is in everything. Maybe Dr.Adkins was right, protein no carbs.
p.s. what kind of dog is that?
I am scared to death of dogs and his picture alone scares me.

Yup it does our 2% milk has 12 gms of sugar in it per 1 cup serving and you would be surprised where else sugar is hiding in ketcup ect.

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 11:47 AM
and all these years his dr said a gallon was fine

YankeeMary
04-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Yankee Mary What I meant/said by DOPED UP was that if my child was on medication for ADHD and he did not have it, he would be doped up! I in no way inferred that any child taking medication was doped up. I was giving an opinion on MY CHILD. As I previously stated, my child was diagnosed incorrectly and his doctor wanted to put him on meds which would have been harmful to him considering he DID NOT have ADHD.
Maybe you misread my post? I was talking about our personal experience and what could have happened if we did not seek a second opinion. My child would have been given very strong meds that he he did not need!!! I am sure I wouldn't be able to tell your child is on meds because he needs them so therefore they are performing their intended purpose. Put ADHD meds in a kid who doesn't need them, then you have an entirely different story. that is what I was saying.

Thanks for explaining it to me. I agree completely with what you said. Sorry for the confussion.

evrita
04-02-2007, 12:04 PM
It's amazing how much sugar is in everything. Maybe Dr.Adkins was right, protein no carbs.
p.s. what kind of dog is that?
I am scared to death of dogs and his picture alone scares me.

Awww thats my Ali she is a fawn boxer and she is pretty much harmless unless you wanna be kissed to death :D

I know when they looked to see why my DD had a rapid weight gain for no reason when she was younger and we find out now she has an underactive tyroid they had us switch from whole milk to 2% or 1% because of the sugar and fat content in milk

MistyWolf
04-02-2007, 12:11 PM
My pediatrician had me switch from 2% to skim or 1% milk to watch for weight gain. And juice she told me is a no no .. loaded with sugar! I do still buy juice, but I try to limit how much they drink in a day .. same as Kool-Aid .. I make it, but they aren't allowed to suck a gallon down in a day. Another thing that is bad is pop that has caffeine in it. Kids don't need it so why give it to them (I understand the people that use it to counteract the effects of hyperactivity, like mentioned earlier in this thread).

Even foods are loaded with sugar: peas, carrots, banana's, apples ... so if a child is getting too much of that type of food they may act hyper.

We have a PS2, but my kids don't sit and play .. from time to time they will, but I don't allow it for hours on end .. same with the computer. They'll tell me they want to look up some learning program and you sneak up on them and they are at bratz.com .. lol.

Rosina823
04-02-2007, 03:14 PM
There area lot of ingriedients in foods that would make your jaw drop.Alot of people dont bother reading them.I agree a gallon of milk is way too much. It has alot of fat and sugar in it.I think I read once that watermelon has the most sugar in it as far as fruits go.But eating natural fruit is better then juice.Juice does have alot of sugar in it.

I still say Dr's and teachers are pushing pills on kids way too much these days.I know if I keep my kid active throughout the day he will be tired out later.If he really has not much to do he gets bored and likes to aggrivate..:D .

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 03:36 PM
he ONLY drinks milk and water nothing else.. in the summer he drinks gatorade he is a really good eater

MistyWolf
04-02-2007, 03:49 PM
he ONLY drinks milk and water nothing else.. in the summer he drinks gatorade he is a really good eater

It's good that he drinks milk & water, no one is debating that .. we just think a gallon/day is way too much. Also it's great he's a good eater because a lot of kids are picky when it comes to eating.

earnhardt1
04-02-2007, 03:55 PM
i thought so too but his dr. said not to worry he is at his weight for his height and age..
i disagree but he's the dr.. age 7 4'7 and weighs 89 pounds

i guess as long as he eats and drinks i cant complain to much.. i know some may disagree but i woudl rather him eat and be healthy than not eat and drink anything

Rosina823
04-02-2007, 04:31 PM

Well I can say that it is better then pop that parents give to there kids all the time...Everykid is different...Some kids if they drank that much milk would gain a bunch..IF your Dr is not worried then I guess it is fine...Gee I wish my kid was a good eater.....You are lucky there.

aussiegirl
04-02-2007, 05:06 PM
I saw my DR. last month when my son turned 2. At that time she said no more than 24oz a milk a day (three 8oz sippy cups) a day and no more that 4oz of juice a day. My DR. is at the Cleveland Clinic which is rated one of the best hospital in the nation, so I think (hope) the doc's there know what they are talking about. Maybe if you MD states a gallon a day is ok and just wanted to put your son on meds with no tests, it's time to look for a new Dr.
thats just my opinion.

i thought so too but his dr. said not to worry he is at his weight for his height and age..
i disagree but he's the dr.. age 7 4'7 and weighs 89 pounds

i guess as long as he eats and drinks i cant complain to much.. i know some may disagree but i woudl rather him eat and be healthy than not eat and drink anything

tracey74
04-02-2007, 07:11 PM
my son was diagnosed late as having ADHD he is 14 and he is on strattera which isnt a stimulant like adderall. only thing with it is he lost a lot of weight with it but he is now getting his appetite back. he also used to like to aggrevate/agitate,make noises,he couldnt sit long he couldnt concentrate or remember to do simple things no matter how many times he was reminded. the dr did an in depth study like asking him how he felt if he had a million thoughts goung through his head and and suicidal thoughts things like that he had the millions of thoughts running thru his head. coffee did NOT make him any less hyper but after a few weeks on the meds I asked how he felt also he said he liked it that he could now think clearly and sit and do things and get them done. adderall is an amphetamine. and they are now wanting to use it for weight loss in kids that are obese which they dont know the side effects. anyway my husband was hyper as a kid and he was on ritalin and he couldnt have red dye no 5 I think it is and hot dogs or anything with nitrates in it. and the ritalin severely stunted his growth. I didnt want to medicate my son but he was getting in trouble in school his grades were dropping and he was angry all the time he'd fly off the handle now he is a lot calmer and hes doing a bit better in school and at home. so I would ask for a med that isnt a stimulant and wont stunt their growth and with these meds tho they will have less of an appetite and lose weight so just make sure they have their meals and maybe a snack. about the milk and weight gain the OP posted. my daughter doesnt drink pop hardly she has had like one pop in the last few days, she doesnt drink milk(unless at school), she eats all her foods baked we dont eat much red meat and we have hardly any junk food . candy bars are like one every 2 weeks or more and yet I was informed today she is 30 lbs overweight . so it depends on a kids metabolism some kids can eat all they want while others even on a low fat diet still gain weight. anyway back to the topic of being hyper only medicate the child if they cannot concentrate in school,grades are failing,and they show true ADHD/ADD behaviors.Id also try to give them foods without red dye in it or additives/ nitrates and stuff like that and see if that might help that might be it if the child doesnt drink a lot of caffeine. also the child can be doing it for attention/ to get your attention. my sister medicated my nephew he is on adderall and the child does NOT need it.he just doesnt get attention from him mom. hes fine when hes with his dad or when hed be here at our house. but she couldnt deal with him and had him put on medication.which I disagree with but no one will listen. so check into all options. HTH

Willow
04-03-2007, 05:04 AM
A gallon of milk does seem excessive. We are a family of five and a gallon of milk lasts us almost a week.

earnhardt1
04-03-2007, 05:20 AM
he's been that way since he was 3...

PrincessArky
04-03-2007, 05:57 AM
my twins are on Adderall XR also... but it dont help with their anger issues!!!:(

OMG I thought my son was the only one with this problem, which we can't seem to get to a happy medium at the moment.

Before being officially "labeled" ADHD I had him to 3 different shrinks and 2 different counselors. I didn't want to take any chances of it being something else. For 3 yrs we limited his diet to mostly natural foods and stayed away from the dyes. We don't really add sugar to anything here but if you will pay attention to the news now they say sugar doesnt hype kids up lol I do know that soda will calm him down but haven't done that in years. We finally had to medicate him a few yrs ago which I hate but he has to be able to focus in school. Most of the time he is home we do NOT medicate him but that is a personal choice for us. The only time we medicate him at home is if he is so out of control I fear that he will hurt himself or someone else.

I think every parent should do what they feel is the best for their child, of course with the help and guidance of a professional

My youngest son drinks alot of milk and it doesn't worry me because we don't eat alot of fried fatty foods he get the fat out of the milk to help with brain development :)

irishchick
04-03-2007, 07:50 AM
ok we are a family of 7 and a gallon lasts a little more than a day, prolly 2 i would estimate. just depends. we drink juice sometimes and water too. diet caffeine soda for the kids no regular.

i just want to say, for those judging others about having their kids put on meds..please dont judge unless you HAVe walked in their shoes. my child is adhd, sensory integration disorder, among others, and i tell you, he is Aaron, teh nice kid when we are out, or at friends, at school etc because he does NOT want to draw attention to himself. BU t at home..he can be AARON the agitator, the MONSter that i want to go away from. sad , isnt it ? its just nit picking constantly. from the moment he walks in the door.

ahippiechic
04-03-2007, 09:57 AM
My DD's pedi recommends 24oz of milk and no more than 6oz of juice pr day plus all the water she wants to drink. She's 5.

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 12:44 PM
I just can't imagine any child drinking that much of anything, let alone milk and still want to eat. I would think they would be to full to eat.

earnhardt1
04-03-2007, 01:00 PM
he eats nonstop wonder where it all goes lol

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 01:17 PM
he eats nonstop wonder where it all goes lol

He must have hollow legs...lol.

PrincessArky
04-03-2007, 01:25 PM
He must have hollow legs...lol.

hey i want one of those........where I can I get one ? LOL

YankeeMary
04-03-2007, 05:18 PM
hey i want one of those........where I can I get one ? LOL

You better believe if I knew I would be rich from selling them...lol. :D

PrincessArky
04-03-2007, 06:37 PM
You better believe if I knew I would be rich from selling them...lol. :D

hey we might have just found us a part time job on the side........if we can figure out how to make em lol