PDA

View Full Version : Religious Solicitors at my gas station

Surfergal
03-29-2007, 04:58 PM
OMG this am I was getting gas and a car with 3 people in it pulled up to the pump next to me. I have used this gas station for several years off a well used main road. Didn't think much of it, 2 men staring straight ahead in front seat, a well dressed woman got out of the back seat near the pump.walks around the back end of the car and walked over to me, big smile "Hi, how you doing?" thought she may just be coming over to get the windshield wash thingy, but she stops near me and says "I know there are lots of bad things happening todays the world..." I notice a brochure in her hands. me- Smile, "sorry I am not interested..." she gets in the car and it speeds out. two men still staring straight ahead. Why would the choose me? Why do they do this? After I was thinking jeez, could have been a hold up or such using her as distraction.

Now I have seen them stalking people in shopping mall parking lots, but a drive thru at the gas station???

earnhardt1
03-29-2007, 05:06 PM
that is scary!!! i hate the ppl that go door to door also.. last summer we had these 3 boys about 19 -20 going around as if any of the ladies home alone during the day were going to let them in.... finaly one of the husbands happened to see them and told them that we dont let strange men in our homes when our men arent around

irishchick
03-29-2007, 05:11 PM
amen to that !
there is a proper way to approach people, it should be in a non threatening way , geesh.

delSol
03-29-2007, 05:55 PM
I have had that at a station I frequent..JW people...LEAVE ME ALONE!!! I swear I do not look "ungodly" lol

Specialk
03-29-2007, 06:14 PM
We get them alot around here where I live, at least twice a week, they will be knocking at my door, regardless that theres a sign there that says "No Soliciting" posted right on my door. One time I saw them coming down my driveway, so I jumped and ran down my hallway so they couldnt see me, I had the living room drapes open, and I can see the reflections off the Tv from the hallway, well, what do you know, I saw them actually looking into my home through the living room window. I told DH this when he got home later that day, he was really ticked off big time!!!

cubsgirl21
03-29-2007, 06:29 PM
I have JW ppl that come around 2-3 times a week in the spring and summer. They're the only ppl my two rather large pitbulls ever growl at! My dogs are normally the biggest babies ever, but something about the JW people upsets them.

I have a No Solicitors sign on my front door too. It drives me nuts, like why would I buy something from you when there's a big sign telling you to go away? :rolleyes:

No one should have to go into a different room while unwanted pests keep ringing your doorbell and peeking in your windows! I'd be extremely creeped out if I saw anyone peeking in my windows. You never know if they're sizing up the stuff you have in the house.

CLEATUS
03-29-2007, 06:34 PM
I think it is rediculous to solicite religious beliefs, I think people should believe what is in there hearts and not have to be talked into it. Just My Thoughts....

I hate it when they come to the door and you say no thanks and they keep on pushing it. I had one lady that just would not shut up, I was cooking dinner and I was trying to be polite and she kept on...finally I said I was a devil worshiper.....lol....got rid of her QUICK.

cubsgirl21
03-29-2007, 06:45 PM
I think it is rediculous to solicite religious beliefs, I think people should believe what is in there hearts and not have to be talked into it. Just My Thoughts....

I hate it when they come to the door and you say no thanks and they keep on pushing it. I had one lady that just would not shut up, I was cooking dinner and I was trying to be polite and she kept on...finally I said I was a devil worshiper.....lol....got rid of her QUICK.

Me too. And they're so pushy about it, always wanting to give you pamphlets and books.

I think next time they ring the doorbell, I'll use the devil worshipper line. They didn't get the hint when I said that my dogs can sense evil. In fact one of the ladies tried to pet my dogs!

Storm Raven
03-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Me too. And they're so pushy about it, always wanting to give you pamphlets and books.

I think next time they ring the doorbell, I'll use the devil worshipper line. They didn't get the hint when I said that my dogs can sense evil. In fact one of the ladies tried to pet my dogs!

Used that one before and got rid of them super fast. Then again, we look the part, so YMMV. ;)

I have no problem with any religion, just please, don't insist I have to belong to yours. I am quite happy with my personal religious world the way it is, and I won't ask anyone else to believe the same as I do. :)

cubsgirl21
03-29-2007, 07:19 PM
It's JW season again. Since it's worked for others, I'll definitely tell them that we're devil worshippers. ;)

bpl76
03-29-2007, 08:08 PM
We live out in the country and our driveway is 3/4 mile of dirt, or mud, or snow drifts. They still come. I do not go to the door but my husband goes outside and talks to them. It is always the same man driving the car and I actually think he comes to see our pig. It doesn't matter if there is mud a foot deep he still trudges out to the pig pen EVERY time in his nice little dress shoes to see the pig. He always has different people with him and he makes them get out of the car and go see the pig also. LOL

buglebe
03-29-2007, 08:32 PM
My aunt was a JW for 61 years before she died at 84. You would absolutely be shocked at the things they are forced to do if they want to continue to be in good standing with the congregation. All that literature they pass out, plus the books, they have to pay for themselves. They have the areas divided up and they have a huge number of houses to go to. They have little booklets to write in, describing exactly how they were received at the house and whether it is a house for a potential second call. At 84 my aunt still had to go to the Kingdom Hall and make phone calls to recruit new JW. If she chose not to do this , she had to donate her home to the congregation. If this is not true this is definitely what she thought. She couldn't walk with out a walker but she could go to the KH and make those phone calls. I began to feel very sorry for her as she got older. We talked about her religion a lot. She gave up on trying to convert the family because they all told her it was hush about it or lose the relationship. She didn't try to convert me because of my dad's feelings. We discussed it though and I just couldn't understand how such an intelligent person could be caught up in their views. I don't disrespect them. I admire them for having so much faith as they do but I just couldn't understand.

PrincessArky
03-30-2007, 03:41 AM
My aunt was a JW for 61 years before she died at 84. You would absolutely be shocked at the things they are forced to do if they want to continue to be in good standing with the congregation. All that literature they pass out, plus the books, they have to pay for themselves. They have the areas divided up and they have a huge number of houses to go to. They have little booklets to write in, describing exactly how they were received at the house and whether it is a house for a potential second call. At 84 my aunt still had to go to the Kingdom Hall and make phone calls to recruit new JW. If she chose not to do this , she had to donate her home to the congregation. If this is not true this is definitely what she thought. She couldn't walk with out a walker but she could go to the KH and make those phone calls. I began to feel very sorry for her as she got older. We talked about her religion a lot. She gave up on trying to convert the family because they all told her it was hush about it or lose the relationship. She didn't try to convert me because of my dad's feelings. We discussed it though and I just couldn't understand how such an intelligent person could be caught up in their views. I don't disrespect them. I admire them for having so much faith as they do but I just couldn't understand.

I know exactly what you are talking about. I have several friends that are JW and it freaked me out when I finally "understood" how the whole thing works.

Willow
03-30-2007, 04:43 AM
Several years ago in the last apartment that we lived in a couple of JW's showed up. We lived in a secured building so they couldn't get in without someone buzzing them in. They stood there for at least 15 minutes ringing all of the buzzers hoping someone would let them in. We had one of those intercom things where you could talk to the person outside so you knew who it was before you let them in. My daughter said I will make them leave and she went over to the intercom and said hail satan. I looked out and I saw them walking away. LOL They are so persistent. A lot of them just ignore the no soliciting signs because they think that only pertains to people that are trying to sell something. About a year later I was walking down the street and two men tried to talk to me and I told them I was Pagan which I was at the time and they said oh have a nice day and were all smiles. I think they were afraid of me or something and wanted to be extra nice. :D

buttrfli
03-30-2007, 04:48 AM
I love it when JW's come to my door. They are very nice people and they are always sure not to cut across the grass from my neighbors house, so they walk all the way around, up a long drive and then another long sidewalk... only to find a "no religious solicitation" sign on the door and have to turn around and have to walk all the way back. I have a big bay window and can see them coming from my neighbors and there are times that they can see me and I just wave at them :D

xtrememom
03-30-2007, 05:29 AM
We get the whole lot of them in our complex and there is a big hulking sign that says no Tresspassing No Soliciting and they ignore it. I have had the Mormans, JW, Local Curches come by and I let DH handle it. He walks to the door and tells them we are devil worshipers or Buddists and if you saw my husband in person you would understand he scares them off big-time he can put on a heck of a show. I love it when he pretends he doesnt speak english and pretends to be German its a riot.

He works for the complex and will chase them out of here during the day, he and his boss have the Nicknames of Crockett and Tubbs because they can spot a salesman or someone peddling religion a mile away and will come up at them from the front and back and scare the bejesus out of them.

Xtrememom

Prunella
03-30-2007, 10:40 AM

My neighbor is a new JW and they run her absolutely ragged. She's rarely home before midnight during the week and on weekends she's in and out all day. I feel really sorry for her, but what can I do?

tracey74
03-30-2007, 04:05 PM

I dont understand this my grandma and grandpa was a JW for over 50+ years and NOT once did they have to go to the KH and make phone calls to recruit new members, they did NOT have to pay for the watchtower and the little pamphlets,they never had to write in a little booklet as how they were received by the people living at that house or any of that kind of thing so I think it all depends on the KH in certain areas I have heard different stories about JW and non of them are the same.I know what my grandparents did and didnt do and they never once told they they'd have to give up their home to them if they didnt go on X amount of door to door services or anything like that. when she got to where she couldnt do much for herself or my grandpa the witnesses were there to help out like to take her grocery shopping when grandpa couldnt drive,and help her take care of him and when he passed away they continued to help her out like take her to her meetings,take her to pay her bills,to the store and whatever else she needed. I used to go to the KH as a kid and those people I met were nothing but nice and didnt try to push being a witness or anything like that on my family. so far that is the only KH I know of or heard of that isnt like the rest.I dont understand why some kingdom halls are like the one above mentioned in the OPs post. any I have went to were not like this my husband even went to one as a kid and he said they were like the "holy rollers" chanting and running around and what not.I have never experienced that in my life with the witnesses. No I am not a witness because I dont agree with a lot of their beliefs but I do know not all witnesses and kingdom halls are like what the Op said her aunts was like. as for donations it was what you could afford. I am by no means trying to change others minds about the witnesses because everyone has their own beliefs and are entitled to them but just letting you know all witnesses are not like this nor do the rules they follow appear to be the same.and as for the young boys who come alone by themselves those are usually mormons at least here they are

andreame70
03-30-2007, 06:40 PM
Years ago, when I was just starting out on my own, I rented a house from an elderly lady who was a JW. She was absolutely the sweetest person I had ever met and she never tried to force her religious beliefs on me. She would come over every month or two and drop off the magazines. I think they were called the "Watchtower" and the "Wake" (?) Anyway, I read them most of the time and found some of the stories to be interesting and uplifting. I donated a few dollars here and there when she would bring me the magazines.

Now about the Mormans in this area....I had a totally different experience with them. They would ride around on bicycles in the neighborhood that my ex and I lived in at the time. If we were outside and saw them coming, we would go inside and lock the doors. One summer afternoon, they snuck up on us in the backyard. It was hot and they were sweating really bad, so my ex made the mistake of asking them to come in for something to drink. I didn't think they would ever leave! They stayed for several hours, even though I politely told them several times that I had to go to bed because of work the next day. When they didn't get the hint, I left my ex with them and I went to bed by myself. It was still another hour or so before he was able to get rid of them.

A couple of days later, we saw them riding up on their bikes. I ran to lock the back door, my ex ran to lock the front. We went back into the living room and I kid you not, those guys came around to the side of the house and we saw them looking into our windows! I felt like I had a couple of peeping toms on my hands. Those guys are die hard and they do not give up easily.

Andrea

Cowgirlie_in_Tennessee
03-30-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah, I have to agree with Andrea... I also rent from a JW, and she is by far the nicest land-lady we've ever had. She is so caring, sweet and you just gotta love her. She has given us so many chances when we've been so far behind on rent (like we are now... :rolleyes: ). Every once in a while she gives us their magazines to read and like Andrea, I find them uplifting. I don't agree with their belief system, and she doesn't with mine (I'm Methodist) but we both agree God is Great! I think in the 3 years we've known she's asked us to come to her church 2 times.

Oh and I wanted to add that I NEVER get JWs or Mormons to come to the house after the stunt I pulled last Summer... I saw two young women coming up the driveway - I live out in the middle of no where, private drive, one way in and out. I answered the door in a nightie, a velvet type material (can't think of the word...) that left NOTHING to the imagination at 3 in the afternoon. Both of them turned pale and said they "might" come back at a better time... haven't seen them since. :)
As for the 2 Mormon boys, they were out here on their bikes during the Summer and they stopped me at the mail box...they were actually 2 really good looking guys so I told them we could have "some fun" together and that I was home alone *wink wink* and I never saw someone pedal so fast to get away in my life. LOL!

pepperpot
03-30-2007, 07:30 PM
My cousin's MIL is JW and she is the sweerest person. If I wasn't told about it, I would've never known. (Although that may have been a 'family' agreement as her kids are not JW) It's just odd that she never shows up to celebrate her grandchildren's birthdays...they don't believe in that.... Also didn't show up for their christenings also. It makes it difficult for her kids, but they accept it.

Rosina823
03-30-2007, 09:55 PM
Back in the day when I was living at home, these Jehovah's came to the door, but I didn't know the were JW's ..lol .. and I asked my dad if he had any $$ to give to these ppl and he gave me a dollar and they gave me a pamplet and my dad said G Damn'it .. are thoses Jehovah's???!!! He wasn't very happy!

Rosina823
03-30-2007, 09:59 PM
MistyWolf here .. first off apologies to anyone here who may be JW, but if you are, don't come to my door! .. I don't believe in their belief system at all and recently had two sets come to my door in the past week. I told them I have a no soliciting sign on my door and to not knock again .. next time they do, they will think I am the devil!

evrita
03-31-2007, 12:55 AM
Thats cause you are :p

janelle
03-31-2007, 01:26 AM
My hubby's grandma joined. In her house is a really steep staircase. I asked him why it was made like that and he said the JWs made it for her when she wanted her stairs changed to another location.

Guess they can be nice helping each other even if it isn't up to code. Her son didn't like them though and would get mad whenever they came to his door. He may have known something about the money they got from her. He would say something to that effect.

VenuStar
03-31-2007, 06:57 AM
As one of the JW...as someone else noted, most of the KH's I've been to (along with the people) as very welcoming. Ages ago, we had to buy the materials but that was when we were also selling them. Now, it's a donation thing. Yes, the city or county is divided up into areas for the Witnesses to go house-to-house. BUT whomever has the area doesn't have to do it in one day or even one week. It's up to them how to work it. Yes we are persistant. Some are overly so, lol. But for the most part around here, if you tell us once not to come back, we don't. Thanks for those who did say the nice things and I hope those that haven't had a good experience with us will maybe ( I know!) but just maybe you'll have a better one. Thanks!

cathych
03-31-2007, 07:18 AM
you are not going to believe this, but one time I gave them, in turn a pamphlet on MY religion, & they backed up.

Charley01
03-31-2007, 04:59 PM
LOL I'm guilty of that, too.

you are not going to believe this, but one time I gave them, in turn a pamphlet on MY religion, & they backed up.

killbarney
03-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Sounds EXACTLY like my definition of CULT.

tough guy
03-31-2007, 08:02 PM
when i lived in the city, the JW would come around my friends house and we would light up ciggs, grab a beer or such and act drunk!! LOL..they would quickly leave and we would crack up..I miss those times (sigh)

evrita
03-31-2007, 10:43 PM
My gram is a JW and they dont make her do half the stuff some of these people are describing, yes she goes out does her thing but they also offered her support when she fell and broke her arm didnt require her to go out door to door ect. I was shocked and anyone who is on my friends list can see it she came up for dinner this year at Christmas time we had opened gifts but we had a tradtional Christmas dinner and I had my tree up and everything. I actually got picture to prove it too !!

Rosina823
03-31-2007, 11:58 PM
As one of the JW...as someone else noted, most of the KH's I've been to (along with the people) as very welcoming. Ages ago, we had to buy the materials but that was when we were also selling them. Now, it's a donation thing. Yes, the city or county is divided up into areas for the Witnesses to go house-to-house. BUT whomever has the area doesn't have to do it in one day or even one week. It's up to them how to work it. Yes we are persistant. Some are overly so, lol. But for the most part around here, if you tell us once not to come back, we don't. Thanks for those who did say the nice things and I hope those that haven't had a good experience with us will maybe ( I know!) but just maybe you'll have a better one. Thanks!

Can I have my Dads dollar back cause I still hear about it til this day....:D

mamalamas
03-31-2007, 11:59 PM
I had a certain religous group come to my house EVERY Saturday morning like clock work ... got my yapping dog going .. woke my baby ... to talk religion. They asked me one day if I knew what was in store for my future. I said sure ... just got done with my tarot cards ... they NEVER came back!

iluvmybaby
04-01-2007, 07:13 AM
just got done with my tarot cards ... they NEVER came back!

We got a BIG beware of dog sign out in front of a house, I bought a HUGE doghouse at a yard sale cheap and bought a big bowl and a thick chain.....as soon as we put that by the door the JWs never came again ((Keep in mind the only dog we have is an indoor mini weenie

jerseybarb
04-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Had a couple knock on my door after dark, so I acted like they were criminals trying to break into my house. Then they asked if anyone in the house wanted to talk about the Gospel and I replied "YES, THE POPE". Actually with my Jersey accent it was Yeah, Da Pope!

mamalamas
04-01-2007, 03:10 PM
Had a couple knock on my door after dark, so I acted like they were criminals trying to break into my house. Then they asked if anyone in the house wanted to talk about the Gospel and I replied "YES, THE POPE". Actually with my Jersey accent it was Yeah, Da Pope!

LMBO ... I will have to remember that one. I am all for whatever people choose to believe in by the way ... and I am NOT looking for a debate or an arguement ... I am sure many don't believe in my religion ...however, a friend of mine decided to become a JW ... and the things she told me blew my mind!

killbarney
04-01-2007, 06:01 PM
I've had one of the best laughs reading about people who draw a chalk outline of a dead body(like police do) and then scatter religious phamplets around :D ;)

I need to find me a sign that says no religious soliciting and tack it up ;)

MistyWolf
04-01-2007, 06:22 PM
I need to find me a sign that says no religious soliciting and tack it up ;)

When I lived in AZ .. I had to print one and put it on the door cause I had JW's and Mormon's coming just about on a daily basis!

And the ones who came here a week or so ago, I told them there is a no soliciting sign on my door and they said they aren't soliciting and I told them I consider what they are doing to be soliciting, and I honestly do!

evrita
04-01-2007, 10:25 PM
They come to my door and I tell them if there is anything I want to know I will ask my Gram and BTW they NEVER send her up because my mom said once if you are here to see the kids fine if not leave the bag outside and come on in. They usally ask me if I am happy with my religion and I tell them yes I am I said I can sit down and talk to god where ever I am TY I said my church is the one whereever I want it to be. Now I live in the middle of no where I get nobody knocking on my door and I have 2 big beware of dog signs and a dog who is growling on the other side of the door!!

dlwt
04-11-2007, 09:30 AM
gosh that could have been scary. the weirest place anyone came to us with religous stuff CAMPING on the end of a dead end road out in the woods, SERIOUS. thank god we had the dog but you never know, you know~~

MistyWolf
04-11-2007, 11:07 AM
When I lived in AZ I had a group of about 7-8 Mormon males come to my door and they wanted to come into my house to talk to me about their religion. Now how do I know they are really Mormon's and not some mass serial killers .. I had my newborn daughter in with me as well and would not let them in my house. I asked them to not return and than put the sign on my door .. lol.

Shann
04-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I'm with a lot of you. I don't care what other people believe and I'm not going to tell them not to believe it, but I don't want them coming to my door trying to convert me. If I'm interested in the religion, I will search out the information I need and call the appropriate people.

that being said, if a JW or Mormon comes to the door I always answer and just tell them that I don't believe in God and they scurry away real quick.

CAMSmama
04-11-2007, 05:56 PM
Someone once told me that if you fly an American flag outside your house that the JW's won't come there because they see it as idol worship. I think it may be true, because we haven't had one JW come to the house since we put up our flag, and we used to get their visits 2 or 3 times a month.

MistyWolf
04-11-2007, 09:33 PM
Someone once told me that if you fly an American flag outside your house that the JW's won't come there because they see it as idol worship. I think it may be true, because we haven't had one JW come to the house since we put up our flag, and we used to get their visits 2 or 3 times a month.

Hmmm.. we flew a flag for the past 4 years (been here 5) and the last year the flag got too tattered and hasn't been replaced .. maybe that is why they felt free to knock on my door twice in one week recently. I need to go flag shopping .. lol.