PDA

View Full Version : spiders... bleck

justme23
03-28-2007, 09:43 PM
How oh how do you kill spiders? I will call an exterminator when I get the money, but for now someone please tell me what I can do on my own. We saw a huge wolf spider and now we both have the heebies... help help!

cheapskate21
03-28-2007, 10:01 PM
squooooooooshhhhhh it:)

janelle
03-29-2007, 12:34 AM
I kill them with my foot mostly. No insecticide can kill them. It kills their food---other bugs--- so they move on.

They can walk right over a glue trap as well.

I go down the basement every other day or so and kill all I can see. Then at night when they are out upstairs I go around with a flash light and look into corners. They seem to like to spin a web there and I can kill them.

But then I hate spiders since I was bit a few times.

teenies*mom
03-29-2007, 02:52 AM
squooooooooshhhhhh it:)

LOL - if nothing kills them then thats your best bet - LOL

earnhardt1
03-29-2007, 04:48 AM
we get the black ones and wolf spiders teh real big fuzzy ones last year we had one that was 5 in wide and 6 in long i freaked out... anyways hubby uses a powder of some kind from home depot that is for spiders and u sprinkle it outside along foundation

Rosina823
03-29-2007, 05:39 AM
:eek: ..I was laying on the couch the other day and my BF told me get up a spider was almost in my hair!!! I will not sit on the couch no more.What I was told to do was get some spray and spray all around the fondation.In addition, spray along windows,door jams,any cracks,and dark cool spaces.Which I did do that last year and it really cut down on the yucky spiders....I HATE THEM..Good luck.

PrincessArky
03-29-2007, 05:45 AM
I dislike spiders most of any of the animals in the world I cant even stand to be around the fake ones my daughter got at the store :o

tracyb
03-29-2007, 05:58 AM
put some hedge apples out....my grandma uses them and you will never see a bug in her house.....she just puts them on a something,cardboard or something and puts them in her basement....these are hard to find in areas though.

Rosina823
03-29-2007, 07:56 AM
put some hedge apples out....my grandma uses them and you will never see a bug in her house.....she just puts them on a something,cardboard or something and puts them in her basement....these are hard to find in areas though.

What are hedge apples? And what if you dont have a basement? Can you just put them in a room? I need to know lol..I hate bugs...I get spiders,potato bugs,centapieds, and even an occasional bee....I hate bees too..

Taterbo
03-29-2007, 08:45 AM
Have you tried the plug in sonar devices..They put out sound waves that annoy spiders, mice and bugs...But you can hear them...If you have pet gerbils, hamsters they say you can't use these things.. They are rather cheap like under 10.00...Check out the area hardware stores.

irishchick
03-29-2007, 08:51 AM
:eek: ..I was laying on the couch the other day and my BF told me get up a spider was almost in my hair!!! I will not sit on the couch no more.What I was told to do was get some spray and spray all around the fondation.In addition, spray along windows,door jams,any cracks,and dark cool spaces.Which I did do that last year and it really cut down on the yucky spiders....I HATE THEM..Good luck.

what kind of spray did you get ?

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/010716a.cfm

this is a great site to read about tricks to get rid of the pests...

irishchick
03-29-2007, 08:52 AM
i would also like to know what hedge apples are ?

irishchick
03-29-2007, 08:54 AM
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/10-10-1997/hedgeapple.html

all about hedge apples, very interesting !!

irishchick
03-29-2007, 08:58 AM
i found this after doing some searching..............she had some nice tips : "After having a bunch of spiders around one year I did call an exterminator since our renter was getting large spiders. After careful inspection we discussed the spiders living in the house including some brown recluse which can be deadly. Lovely thought with a toddler around. He first told me to get rid of all the cardboard boxes around. Spiders love cardboard since it is a wood product and they also love wood. We did go ahead and have the apartments treated and it worked. The guarantee was if any more showed up in the following month they would retreat for free. Sure enough a couple did and they did retreat for free.

He also mentioned that the spiders don't enjoy heat which is why more come in during the summer trying to find a nice cool place to stay. They prefer bathrooms and kitchens since there is a water source nearby. I later discovered through some herbal sites that spiders do not like eucalyptus leaves. Not too hard to put some in closets and things and helps things smell good as well. After getting rid of the cardboard boxes and going to plastic bins we didn't have near the problems and did not need to retreat the house the next summer."

Rosina823
03-29-2007, 10:04 AM
what kind of spray did you get ?

http://www.stretcher.com/stories/01/010716a.cfm

this is a great site to read about tricks to get rid of the pests...

I got the HOT SHOT brand for spiders..It works really good.

Tasha405
03-29-2007, 10:06 AM
Oh lord, I hate spiders too! I usually get them with a flyswatter or my shoes. lol Thats if I can talk myslef into getting close enough to them. If my DH or old son is home, I just yell for them to come and kill it for me. lol

We get some spiders here but what really scares the heck out of me are those house centipedes. Those are some freaky looking creatures!

I done a search and found a pic and info on them....

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/files/images/website.thumbnail.jpg

House centipedes (Scutigera) are common arthropods with long, flattened, segmented bodies with one pair of legs per segment. The house centipede is up to 1 1/2 inches long and has 15 pairs of very long, almost thread-like, slender legs. Each leg is encircled by dark and white bands. The body is brown to grayish-yellow and has three dark stripes on top.

Though house centipedes are found both indoors and outdoors it is the occasional one on the bathroom or bedroom wall, or the one accidentally trapped in the bathtub, sink, or lavatory that causes the most concern. However, these locations are not where they normally originate. Centipedes prefer to live in damp portions of basements, closets, bathrooms, unexcavated areas under the house and beneath the bark of firewood stored indoors. They do not come up through the drain pipes.

House centipedes feed on small insects, insect larvae, and on spiders. Thus they are beneficial, though most homeowners take a different point-of-view and consider them a nuisance. Technically, the house centipede could bite, but it is considered harmless to people.

House centipede control consists of drying up and cleaning, as much as possible, the areas that serve as habitat and food source for centipedes. Residual insecticides can be applied to usual hiding places such as crawl spaces, dark corners in basements, baseboard cracks and crevices, openings in concrete slabs, under shelves, around stored boxes, and so forth. For more information on insecticides please see Insecticides for Indoor Use. Centipedes discovered outdoors should not be controlled.

Although it says they eat spiders and other insects, I DO NOT want these creatures in my house! LOL

Tasha405
03-29-2007, 10:14 AM
I found some info on wolf spiders too...

Wolf Spider and Fisher Spider
Wolf spiders and fisher spiders are the largest, and also among the most common of the spiders found in Iowa. Both are outdoor species that do not usually live indoors. They are, however, an occasional "accidental invader" that will wander into houses and buildings by mistake.

Wolf spiders and fisher spiders have good vision and actively hunt and pursue prey during the day. They do not capture their food in a web as do other common spiders with poorer eye sight.

Wolf spiders are common in almost all terrestrial habitats, but are usually found in areas of shrubs or tall grass where a plentiful insect supply is available. They run over the ground or on plants in search of prey and pounce upon the victims with vigor and power. Wolf spider mothers carry their large egg sacs around with them. When the young spiderlings hatch they climb onto their mother's back and ride around until partially grown.

Fisher spiders are also known as fishing spiders or water spiders. They are amphibious and are typically found in moist areas, especially along the edges of streams and lakes. They have the ability to skate across the surface of the water and will even dive beneath the surface to feed on small fish, tadpoles and aquatic insects. The majority of their food, however, is large terrestrial insects found on vegetation at the water's edge.

Wolf spiders and fisher spiders are not poisonous, though as with all spiders, bites may cause reactions in certain individuals. The presence of these spiders inside a building is usually a case of accidental invasion and is particularly common in the fall of the year. Spiders that can be successfully trapped in a large jar can be taken back outside and released. Otherwise, the only necessary control is to swat or spray the invaders with a household aerosol and then discard.

For what it is worth, the Golden Guide, Spiders and Their Kin, says that wolf spiders make nice pets. Water must be provided to wolf spiders kept in captivity.

They have all kinds of info on all sorts of insects. Here is a link to them if anyone wants to check them out.

http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/iiin/

Trishntx
03-29-2007, 08:47 PM
Still June bugs here. lots and lots and lots of june bugs. 50 at least dead on my front porch every morning.

loveswolfs
03-29-2007, 09:22 PM
Still June bugs here. lots and lots and lots of june bugs. 50 at least dead on my front porch every morning.

June bugs are cool. When we lived in Texas at night we would leave the front door open at night. The june bugs would come in because of the lights..my cats would bat them out of the air and eat them. All you would hear was crunch crunch lol. My daughter freaks out when they fly at her..We even found one with gray fuzz on it.

justme23
03-29-2007, 10:02 PM
Thanks for the info, ladies. I called Terminex(sp), but my Nana told me not to use them cause they spray water. I don't know if that's true or not, but the guys at hubbies job told him that we could do it ourselves just as easy... so I guess we're gonna try that route first. We've been shaking our clothes and shoes and bed linens all night and day just to make sure there were no creepie crawlies in them... lol. I really don't mind so much the small ones, they're easy to kill, but this thing was as big as a horse (ok, well atleast the size of a golf ball) and he was kind of ick to step on... which I had to do cause hubby wanted to just shoo it outside... yeah right!

Where in TX are you? I'm just north of DFW and have only seen one june bug this year... but the mosquito hawks are *every*where... gazillions of them... atleast they are harmless!

Kyla Kym
03-29-2007, 11:54 PM
http://www.ipm.iastate.edu/ipm/hortnews/1997/10-10-1997/hedgeapple.html

all about hedge apples, very interesting !!

There use to be one in my back yard when I was growing up. My family called them horse apples though. :)
Allot of color photo's & interesting facts on this page.
http://hedgeapple.com/

tracyb
03-30-2007, 11:26 AM
Sorry...I have been busy with my dds school....I dont know what they look like...I just asked my grandpa why we never ever seen a bug in there house and he told me he put them apples in his basement.....I dont have a basement either so I told hubby to try to get me some and throw under the house ....lol.

momogod
03-31-2007, 08:14 AM
My husband hates spiders and sprays residual spray all over the basement and regularly goes on spider "hunts" down there. If I see a spider or any other bug I just catch it and release it outside. Why end a life if it isn't doing you harm
and you can avoid it?

We did have exterminators come into our house to kill off the horrible flea infestation we had. But in that case I am allergic to fleas and my cats kept
getting tape worms from them.

I have heard that if you rub a bar of soap in a line along every opening in your
house (around windows and doors, etc.) that the spiders will not cross that line. Tired it and it worked but you have to keep re-soaping about once a
week which can be a real pain in the butt.

MistyWolf
03-31-2007, 01:18 PM
Ewwww.. I hate spiders too .. I kill them with a shoe .. lol.

I get those damn house centipedes too .. I'll see a few every season, which is coming up. I do know they eat spiders, but I still don't like them.

If I have bug spray, Raid or something of the sort, centipedes and spiders get sprayed .. if not, the shoe works just as well!

The first few years we lived here, I did spray the perimeters of the house and think I'll do it again this year.