PDA

View Full Version : Drug testing for all students in school.....would you be for it?

tsquared
03-24-2007, 08:13 AM
Had a story on the news this morning about testing all kids for drugs and not just the atheletes.........do you think it is necessary?

irishchick
03-24-2007, 08:21 AM
well i know its an invasion of privacy..BUT
it may prevent some from getting involved in drugs if they know they will get caught
so i think im for it....
ill have to think about it some...

buttrfli
03-24-2007, 08:38 AM
I am kind of riding the fence on this one. I am all for testing of the athletes, but for all students, I am not sure.

Would it be required? Is it random? Do the parents have to be present? What are the consequences?

I agree w/ irishchick on the part about possibly preventing a child getting on drugs, but I am just not sure about it.

SLance68
03-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Heck no - does anyone have any idea what this would cost for our already underfunded school systems? I think if a parent wants to drug test their own child that is their choice but to put that type of burden on the school system would be insane. If they want to do something about preventing kids from using drugs they need to do more drug enforcement not testing kids to see if they are using.

ahippiechic
03-24-2007, 09:49 AM
I wouldn't mind if my child was required to be tested, if I was inform and present. BUT I wouldn't want to foot the bill for drug testing for entire student bodies, the cost would be outrageous.

nanajoanie
03-24-2007, 11:26 AM
I think it should be random testing. We had that at Sara Lee where I worked for years. And if you got hurt at work or stabbed with the needles, it was automatic to get tested. If you haven't used any drugs there was nothing to fear or worry about. And we used a private bathroom in the nurses room.

TxGreek
03-24-2007, 11:43 AM
I think it should be random testing. We had that at Sara Lee where I worked for years. And if you got hurt at work or stabbed with the needles, it was automatic to get tested. If you haven't used any drugs there was nothing to fear or worry about. And we used a private bathroom in the nurses room.

Stabbed with needles at Sara Lee?? :confused: :eek:

I'm for it, but I have the same questions as Buttrfli. The main one I'd want answered is about the consequences.

irishchick
03-24-2007, 12:40 PM
well i agree with most ..
again, im thinking about this
im kinda like...what ? $$$ ??? who cares about the money, think about the money saved by kids not being on drugs? think about the rehabs that would not be in business?> think about he KIDS that are saved and families?
i think it would reduce crime, std's, selling/distribution, etc...
i think the government could give up one of their studies they do on ant farms in AFRICA for crying out loud, to support something like drug testing in highschools, mand. for all kids, every one ! to save a child !it would be a huge DETERrence to many kids at a vulnerable age !

remember it TAKES A VILLAGE

irishchick
03-24-2007, 12:42 PM
p.s. i dont agree with random testing on certain kids
that singles them out.
it should be on everyone ! the only randomness should be the time and date..

DBackFan
03-24-2007, 01:42 PM
well i agree with most ..
again, im thinking about this
im kinda like...what ? $$$ ??? who cares about the money, think about the money saved by kids not being on drugs? think about the rehabs that would not be in business?> think about he KIDS that are saved and families?
i think it would reduce crime, std's, selling/distribution, etc...
i think the government could give up one of their studies they do on ant farms in AFRICA for crying out loud, to support something like drug testing in highschools, mand. for all kids, every one ! to save a child !it would be a huge DETERrence to many kids at a vulnerable age !

remember it TAKES A VILLAGE

I agree Lorra...I can feel your passion about this.

nanajoanie
03-24-2007, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=TxGreek;95549639]Stabbed with needles at Sara Lee?? :confused: :eek: QUOTE]

Yeppers. Sara Lee does more than make desserts. I worked in the sock division, Champion, Gap, Walmart, some Polo, etc. They also produce the Senseo coffee machines in Europe. They own shoe polish & shoelaces, Coach leathers, pills, coffee, Jimmy Dean meats, Bryan meats, Hanes Her Way undies, Hanes sport clothes, and on and on. They do products that everyone has in their homes.

tljohn123
03-24-2007, 02:50 PM
yes i absolutely agree with that. If I have to do random drug tests at work--even if I'm not hurt btw--why shouldn't the students have to do it either? IMHO, if the students know there is a possibility of getting tested, then maybe the temptation to do drugs won't be there, espicially if there are harsh consequenses!

If an employee where I work tests positive for drugs, then they are fired. No questions asked. Just because little Johnny or little Susie are perfect students, look wholesome and all, what makes you think they won't do drugs?

stresseater
03-24-2007, 02:55 PM
No way would I allow this to happen to my kids. I am not of the mind that it takes a village, I believe it takes caring, involved parents to raise kids. If I am concerned,I as a parent will take steps to find out it is not the school's job, period. They are there to teach my kids a basic education not tell my kids what they can or can not do with/to their own bodies. (this includes immunizations, birth control, abortions, medications for alleged mental "disorders") These are all concerns for the parent and the family doctor. ;)

YankeeMary
03-24-2007, 08:04 PM
No way would I allow this to happen to my kids. I am not of the mind that it takes a village, I believe it takes caring, involved parents to raise kids. If I am concerned,I as a parent will take steps to find out it is not the school's job, period. They are there to teach my kids a basic education not tell my kids what they can or can not do with/to their own bodies. (this includes immunizations, birth control, abortions, medications for alleged mental "disorders") These are all concerns for the parent and the family doctor. ;)

I agree.
Not to mention the fact that if a teacher didn't like a certain kid what could happen. And before anyone says they wouldn't do it, think about how much teachers have changed over the past few years. I knew would have thought a teacher would have sex with a 13 year old but she did. I don't think all teachers would do this, I would say very few teachers would mess with a kids drug test, but I sure wouldn't want to be the mother of the kid they messed with.

Rosina823
03-24-2007, 08:08 PM
I dont agree with this at all.Children are to go to school and learn.It is up to the parents to raise their children not the schools.My children are still too young to worry about that right now but I can see myself testing my children myself with an at home drug kit.Schools are already in debt.Why should parents have to pay for this?? I see there concern and their hearts are in the right place but what is next? What happens if the child turns up positive for drug use?

tngirl
03-24-2007, 08:27 PM
Uh, NO!!

Starr_79
03-24-2007, 09:07 PM
I don't really get this, I thought we lived in a FREE country. So how does it sound fair or right to say students must be subjected to madatory drug testing. I think it is appaling. I can understand the reasoning behind testing student athletes, anything beyond that is up to the parents. And keep in mind, your job, really, is your choise, kids have no choise, they have to go to school.
I know that when I was in high school, our school would bring in drug dogs to a classroom, make everyone LEAVE the classroom, then search the room with the dogs. All I could ever think is how easy would it be for anyone to set you up, ticked off teachers included; because something only had to found in the general area of your belongings for it to be "yours".
I was a good student, and did not do drugs, and this practice made me feel SO belittled. I don't think what my school did was right, and I think drug testing all students would be taking away the rights of both the students and the parents.

buglebe
03-25-2007, 09:30 AM
Yes I think this would be a wonderful thing. I think it would save many children a life of drug addiction. Yes , my answer is yes!

YankeeMary
03-25-2007, 10:04 AM
Just because a child would test positive doesn't mean they will never do it again. It just shows that they have done it at least once. IMO if the child tests positive for drugs, they will then kick them out of school, yet they could have done the drugs 2-3 days ago at home in the woods, no where near the school. I think it would just create a much bigger problem then already exists.
I don't think its right to make one of my kids (who do not use drugs, thank God) and force them to pee in a bottle, just to see. Its none of their business unless it is done at school.

stresseater
03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
I can understand the reasoning behind testing student athletes, anything beyond that is up to the parents.
Just curious, why would it be ok to force athletes to test? We deride drug users because they are lazy and have no drive then we continue to exclude them from life in general(can't play,work ect..) I went to parties in high school, I drank and/or smoked pot occasionally, I smoked cigarettes(the one thing I do regret) but I also played basketball, softball, ran track, I was also in band yearbook and select choir. Could you imagine if I were tested(or most of the band or basketball team for that matter ;) )... I wouldn't have had those distractions to keep me out of jail, unpregnant, I might have fallen into a bad crowd. (yes I know a lot of you feel anyone who has ever smoked a bowl is a bad crowd but I don't agree with that either LOL)

mamalamas
03-25-2007, 07:21 PM
(yes I know a lot of you feel anyone who has ever smoked a bowl is a bad crowd but I don't agree with that either LOL)

I can't stop laughing at this ... guess Rosina and I would have been expelled for sure! We were pretty bad about this when we were in high school ... remember Rosina? And we both turned out just fine too! (and to this day, I don't think there is anything wrong with smoking a bowl if you choose to ;) )

I think that drug testing should be left up to the parent. My child can not go to school and pray ... but hey, let's give her a drug test? Maybe if they brought prayer back into the schools and gave kids something to believe in ... they would set their own standards a little higher in life. But I am sure there will be some arguement as to praying should be done at home too right? I will be a parent. If I see my daughter hanging with the wrong crowd or acting as if she is on drugs ... I will take that into my own hands.

My answer is NO WAY!

Eddystone
03-26-2007, 06:25 PM
If they did a drug test at my highschool years ago then more the 50% will fail, most people at the school either smoke weed or did something

Then what ? if more then 50 % of students fail the test drug test ? those students have to goto rehab ?

okie
03-26-2007, 09:33 PM
I'm not sure, I can see both the good and bad. If I were that worried about one of my kids using drugs I would get them tested myself.

MistyWolf
03-27-2007, 04:29 AM
Glad they didn't do drug test when I was in High School!

And it's school, not prison .. so my answer would be no.

DreamWarrior
03-27-2007, 05:13 AM
Personally I look at it this way, if you have nothing to hide, why would you care if your child is tested or not.(And NO, I am NOT saying that ANYONE here has ANYTHING to hide) Yes I understand the expense is an issue, and it IS an invasion of privacy, but still.... wouldn't you rather know that your child is clean and/or find out that (s)he has a drug problem that you didn't know about?

YankeeMary
03-27-2007, 05:49 AM
Personally I look at it this way, if you have nothing to hide, why would you care if your child is tested or not.(And NO, I am NOT saying that ANYONE here has ANYTHING to hide) Yes I understand the expense is an issue, and it IS an invasion of privacy, but still.... wouldn't you rather know that your child is clean and/or find out that (s)he has a drug problem that you didn't know about?

If I thought for one second that my son(s) were doing drugs, the school would be the last place I would look for help, let alone notify me of the problem. I am a responsible parent and I would take care of the problem. I have enough sense to take them and have them tested and treated if necassary, I don't need a school counselor playing doctor, judge and jury. Thanks but no thanks. If its a problem at home then it should be handled at home. If I can't get my son to clean his room, I don't expect the school to step in so why would I expect it if my sons were doing drugs?
Seems teachers, counselors, etc...are always complaining about not enough money, over worked, etc, why would anyone consider adding yet another responsibility on them?

stephanyb
03-27-2007, 07:21 AM
I think this a great idea. I a child were doing drugs, it's a great way for the parents to find out. I would want to know if my son did anything, even if it was just one time. It would be a good way to find out right away and get the child help. It would not be an invasion of privacy if when you signed your child up for school you had to sign a consent form, if the school makes it mandatory and you don't like it then you can bring your child to another school. Drug testing is not done with needles by the way, 9/10 it's done by a urine sample. I think it would be a good preventative, if a child knows he/she might be tested and his/her parents will find out, it would be one more reason for the child to say no.

MistyWolf
03-27-2007, 07:45 AM
If I thought for one second that my son(s) were doing drugs, the school would be the last place I would look for help, let alone notify me of the problem. I am a responsible parent and I would take care of the problem. I have enough sense to take them and have them tested and treated if necassary, I don't need a school counselor playing doctor, judge and jury. Thanks but no thanks. If its a problem at home then it should be handled at home. If I can't get my son to clean his room, I don't expect the school to step in so why would I expect it if my sons were doing drugs?
Seems teachers, counselors, etc...are always complaining about not enough money, over worked, etc, why would anyone consider adding yet another responsibility on them?

Agreeing with you on this one.

Rosina823
03-27-2007, 07:50 AM

It has nothing to do with having anything to hide. I personally would know if my children where using drugs because I know the signs and the changes.Also I can go to any drug store and go pick up a drug kit.But if my chilren where getting straight A's and the tried pot ONCE and didn't like it and the school happened to test them and as a result get expelled!!! That is a bunch af BS....Kids try things ...I know I did and I turned out just fine. It is none of the schools buisness.They need to worry more about the kids dealing drugs at school not the ones maybe using them.That is the parents resonsibility.

stephanyb
03-27-2007, 10:04 AM
I would think this would be a good way to find out who is dealing the drugs. I don't think the children should be expelled if they test postive just once, I think the parents should be notified though. If a kid test positve, they should have to tell the authorities who sold them the drugs, then if it was a kid at school, that kid should be expelled. If it wasn't a kid at school, then the authorities still know who to go get. Not everyone knows what signs to look for in their child. And just because the child does it once or twice doesn't mean there will be signs for the parent to notice. Also, it could give a heads to other parents which kids are doing drugs.

Rosina823
03-27-2007, 11:37 AM
I would think this would be a good way to find out who is dealing the drugs. I don't think the children should be expelled if they test postive just once, I think the parents should be notified though. If a kid test positve, they should have to tell the authorities who sold them the drugs, then if it was a kid at school, that kid should be expelled. If it wasn't a kid at school, then the authorities still know who to go get. Not everyone knows what signs to look for in their child. And just because the child does it once or twice doesn't mean there will be signs for the parent to notice. Also, it could give a heads to other parents which kids are doing drugs.

Most kids will not nark on someone else...That is a no no to kids then they would get beat up or revenge would be set on your child.I know not everyone knows the signs of drug use all I was stating is I do know the signs.People can get educated on the signs of drug use also.Dont leave it up to the schools inform you if your child is doing drugs.You should know if your kid is acting different or if something is bothering them.You as a parent should talk to your child and find out what is bothering them.I would not be concerned if my child tried pot once.....Not that I would approve of it or be mad. But I would be concerned if my child was a chronic drug user.
I know alot of thing that I did as a teenager and I will be up on my kids.Some parents these days let there children do whatever they want because their own lives are to busy .I just think it is not fair to children that are not doing drugs and have to go through that testing.It is a school not a Dr office.

stephanyb
03-27-2007, 10:15 PM
I agree there are alot of parents that don't pay attention or that don't care, so maybe if someone else finds out, like the school principal, then they could get that kid into the school counsler. I don't think it's a big thing to go through, it's either a urine test or a hair test. And i also agree that smoking pot one time isn't a big deal, but some kids can get addicted faster than others to certain things. All I can say is that if my son's school wanted to do this, I would not argue against it. I, nor my son, have anything to worry about.

YankeeMary
03-28-2007, 06:18 AM
I agree there are alot of parents that don't pay attention or that don't care, so maybe if someone else finds out, like the school principal, then they could get that kid into the school counsler. I don't think it's a big thing to go through, it's either a urine test or a hair test. And i also agree that smoking pot one time isn't a big deal, but some kids can get addicted faster than others to certain things. All I can say is that if my son's school wanted to do this, I would not argue against it. I, nor my son, have anything to worry about.

School counselors are not what a kid addicted to drugs need. The school counselors here are a total waste of time, and that dealing with something simple like schedule changes, they would be totally clueless as what to do with a child that tested positive.

pepperpot
03-28-2007, 06:21 AM
School counselors are not what a kid addicted to drugs need. The school counselors here are a total waste of time, and that dealing with something simple like schedule changes, they would be totally clueless as what to do with a child that tested positive.

Perhaps the counselors could refer the student and family to the appropriate sources to get help....

Starr_79
03-28-2007, 08:26 PM
[QUOTE=stresseater;95550229]Just curious, why would it be ok to force athletes to test? We deride drug users because they are lazy and have no drive then we continue to exclude them from life in general(can't play,work ect..) QUOTE]

The only reason I would be ok with athletes being tested is because of performance enhancing drugs, like steroids, though I realize they would probably be tested for everything. And I don't think smoking pot is going to do anything for an athlete, but obviously something like steroids could give them quite an edge over athletes who are not using them; and when things like scholarships and hence, possibly futures, are on the line, then I don't think it would be unfair to test the athletes to be sure they are all given equal opportunities.

dlwt
03-29-2007, 11:02 AM
I think there would be alot of kids who would quit school, maybe they occasionaly smoke pot or something. I dont know I think I would say NO I dont agree, though on the job we all get drug tested but still.

dlwt
03-29-2007, 11:10 AM
You know everyone acts like the CLEAN kids are the best kids and the dirty drug kids are the worst kids. I know so many supposed clean kids who are MEANER AND RUDER than any of the kids doiong something. And when I was in high school I never ever did ANYTHING wrong but boy once I got outta school here comes drugs and alcohol and the kids who did drugs and alchohol in sschool were already past that, so there are so many sides to this story but I will say I think it is wrong. And what will happen everyone waits till their supposedly adults to try stuff, I mean we all really have to learn on our own right..