PDA

View Full Version : Pet Food Recall, so scary

Faithfully
03-23-2007, 11:21 AM
It is tainted with rat poison?
If someone is hurting our poor pets, are we far behind?

By MARK JOHNSON

ALBANY, N.Y. (AP) - Rat poison was found in the pet food suspected of causing kidney failure that killed at least 16 cats and dogs, but scientists still don't know how it got there, state officials said Friday.

The toxin was identified as aminopterin, which is used to kill rats in some countries, state Agriculture Commissioner Patrick Hooker said.

Aminopterin is not registered for killing rodents in the United States, according to the Environmental Protection Agency, though it is used as a cancer drug. State officials wouldn't speculate on how the toxin got into Menu Foods' now-recalled pet food but said no criminal investigations had been launched.

Scientists at the New York State Animal Health Diagnostic Center at Cornell and at the New York State Food Laboratory tested three cat food samples provided by Menu Foods and found Aminopterin in two of them. Hooker said they would be testing individual components of the pet food, as well.

"Any amount of this product is too much in food," he said.

Aminopterin, also used as a cancer drug, is highly toxic in high doses. It inhibits the growth of malignant cells and suppresses the immune system. In dogs and cats, it can cause kidney failure, according to Donald Smith, dean of Cornell University's College of Veterinary Medicine.

The Food and Drug Administration has said the investigation in the pet deaths was focusing on wheat gluten in the pet food. Wheat gluten itself would not cause kidney failure, but the common ingredient could have been contaminated, the FDA said.

The pet deaths led to a recall of 60 million cans and pouches of pet food produced by Menu Foods and sold throughout North America under 95 brand names. There have been several reports of kidney failure in pets that ate the recalled brands, and the company has confirmed the deaths of 15 cats and one dog.

Menu Foods last week recalled "cuts and gravy" style dog and cat food. The recall sparked concern among pet owners across North America. It includes food sold under store brands carried by Wal-Mart, Kroger, Safeway and other large retailers, as well as private labels such as Iams, Nutro and Eukanuba.

(AP) Julie Benesh hugs her cat Truffle during a visit to a veterinarian after the 17-year-old domestic...
Full Image

The company's chief executive and president said Menu Foods delayed announcing the recall until it could confirm that the animals had eaten its product before dying. Two earlier complaints from consumers whose cats had died involved animals that lived outside or had access to a garage, which left open the possibility they had been poisoned by something other than contaminated food, he said.

Menu Foods planned a media teleconference for later Friday, a spokesman said. The company is majority owned by Menu Foods Income Fund of Streetsville. The company also makes foods for zoo cats, but those products are unaffected by the recall.

A spokesman for New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo said he was not aware of any criminal investigation involving the tainted food. FBI spokesman Paul Holstein in Albany said Friday he was not aware of any FBI involvement in the case.

"I don't know where we'll go from here," he said.

A complete list of the recalled products along with product codes, descriptions and production dates was posted online by Menu Foods and is available at . The company also designated two phone numbers that pet owners could call for information: (866) 463-6738 and (866) 895-2708.http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm

New York State is home to two laboratories that are part of federal emergency lab networks, created after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks to keep the nation's animals and food supply safe.

The New York State Food Laboratory is part of the Federal Food Emergency Response Network and is capable of running a number of toxin tests on food, including the test that identified aminopterin.

---

Associated Press writer Andrew Bridges in Washington contributed to this report.

---

On the Net:

FDA pet food recall information: http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html

Menu Foods: http://tinyurl.com/2pn6mm

Aloha from paradise
03-23-2007, 11:50 AM
That is just sick!!!

hblueeyes
03-24-2007, 08:27 AM
According to reports, Menu foods own taste cat died after eatiing taiinted food. Then they just sat on the info and did nothing for weeks That, I believe is criminal.

me:p

irishchick
03-24-2007, 08:34 AM
i think i heard on the news, this is for canned/wet food only, not dry food
is this correct ?

Faithfully
03-24-2007, 06:35 PM
Yes Irish,
The dry food is made by a totally different company.
Menus only does the wet/canned foods.
I'm just so upset, and sad about all of this:(

monkeygirl
03-24-2007, 11:44 PM
What is everybody else doing about having brands of recalled food but not the specific recalled types?

hblueeyes
03-25-2007, 08:16 AM
My sis said she heard on the news that all realled food types is beiing recalled, not just from certain lot numbers or dates. So if you have any Iams wet food for instance, take it back and get a refund. I believe you can do this anyway. All you have to say is you no longer trust the company or manufactuerer.

me:p