PDA

View Full Version : I quit my job today

Surfergal
03-22-2007, 03:58 PM
probably really stupid, My job is with one of their biggest, busiest most profitable products. My work group went from 3 people to two people last year, and I absorbed all the work. The third person did little and I had to do his work to until he just retired. new guy barely getting up to speed and I get to train him too (of course he makes more money, and I have to cover for him while he takes every Monday off and leaves early daily, and talks on the phone all day to his buddies.) I was kept while most other contracters were let go. Recent changes have added additional work too for my job level. Most other 3 person product teams of company employees were not reduced.

There was an across the board paycut 7 years ago for contracters. I have received no pay increases since then. All overtime pay was cancelled. no vacations or holiday pay anymore. I used to like the challenges and the people I worked with. I managed to perform for all these (15) years. I was respected.

Meanwhile, the company people, my equals in job type, get raises, bonuses and cost of living increases each year. (ok a little less than 10 years ago.) They at least have reason to do extra work - to get raises and pensions. Although, most work 8 hr days or less (+ 6 weeks vacation, 10 sick days, and 20 paid holidays and would never get fired). I have been working at least 9-12 hours a day for the last few years.

I really have no say, as the high ups drafted the extreme expedited plan that I am following, to protect their profit margins. Everything at the company is in shambles. Morale is low. There are lots of new management, all giving contradictory direction. and infighting.

Now my new management under restructure is treating me like a dog, as I am only a lowly contract person. It is no win. The stress and workload finally just got to me. I worked 11 to 12 hours a day the last two+ weeks straight to put together a newly required pretty presentation for new high management on my product for a small deadline that just passed, in addition to trying to meet a huge next deadline to support the normal product work. (ps. huge Deadline missed as I could not be in two places at once and now I have tons of reports to prepare daily on my "catch up status", while working on next deadline. ) My reward, they said, was to do another presentation at the next deadline in three weeks because it went over so well. Sorta was the last straw, only gonna get worse not better. So now I have two weeks to find another job in an area that has high unemployment.

I assume I cannot collect unemployment because I quit, but should I document all the hours I worked without pay? I do keep a spreadsheet showing my actual work time. and I can print emails too proving I was at work during the time shown if needed. if that would help.

on the bright side, I have less stress and only worked 8 hours today.

Quaker_Parrots
03-22-2007, 04:23 PM
What state do you live in? Unless you are paid salary, they cant not pay you for overtime. It is against Federal Law, lots of companies have been burned by not paying this.

Here is the Federal website: http://www.dol.gov/

You can also get access to your states labor laws here: http://www.dol.gov/esa/contacts/state_of.htm

You need to file a grievance with your state DOL.

Surfergal
03-22-2007, 04:43 PM
The comparable position I worked at this company was a salaried position. As an outside person ("temp") contracted to do the work for this company through another contract company, I was only allowed to bill for 8 hours a day worked - hourly up to 40 hours max a week if no holidays. so not sure where I fall.

I guess I could have worked less and gotten let go years ago probably. I am much older now so will be much harder to get new job of equal pay. however, when I divide the amount of pay by actual hours worked and add in the stress, less pay will probably be more.

I pretty much have little contact with the contract company that actally employs and pays me. Someone told me that there was also a law like common law for employment - I was good enough to do the job for 15 years, but not good enough to hire in to get full benefits.

lazydaisy
03-22-2007, 06:20 PM
It's so hard to stay with a company that shows you little respect. :( Hopefully you'll be forever stress free now. :) Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

PrincessArky
03-23-2007, 04:15 AM
gosh I hate that you had to deal w/that crap so long but glad you got out just means something better is to come.

I know here in Arkansas there is nothing you can do, ex hubby was contracted to work salary for 45 hours a week ended up closer to 80 to 100 sometimes (worked 5am till midnight once came home took a shower and was back down there at 4am till 7pm) and there was nothing we could do to get him any extra money cause he was salary :(

SLance68
03-23-2007, 06:59 AM
If you were not a salary position you can file with the Federal Wage and Hour board against your employer - not the company that paid the contract - the company that paid you. You must be paid time & 1/2 for all hours worked over 40 hours per week. They cannot force you to work overtime and not pay you just because they "cancelled overtime pay" that is against Federal regulations. So drag out the phone book and find the number and make that call. And you probably cannot collect unemployment since you quit the position.

freebielover
03-23-2007, 09:28 AM
I know where I work we have contract employees but they cannot keep them over a year without offering benefits such as health insurance and sick days. It was explained to me that Walmart had been sued over holding contractors so they didn't have to pay any benefits, not sure how valid that is but you may want to look into it.

dlwt
03-23-2007, 09:33 AM
I would contact the wage folks on this probably way wrong how they paid you. Did you get a w-2 or a 1099??