PDA

View Full Version : Am I being paranoid?

buttrfli
03-20-2007, 06:09 PM
If someone has an auction on Ebay and a new member (that joined the same day the auction started) keeps coming back bidding up the price of the auction just enough to be the highest bidder... then they wait to be outbid then come back and bid another $1 or $2 ...

Am I the only one who thinks that someone is bidding on their own auction to get the price higher?

I know that not all new members understand how ebay works and that they can put in a max bid etc etc... but I get suspicious easily.

Tell me I am crazy LOL

tsquared
03-20-2007, 06:14 PM
It goes without saying Buttrfli..............you is crazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyy

YankeeMary
03-20-2007, 06:15 PM
You are Crazy and it has nothing to do with ebay...lol. but I also imagine that its the person trying to get the bid up higher.

buttrfli
03-20-2007, 06:20 PM
you guys are sooooooo funny....

and Mary *ahem* I am not the crazy one in these parts :P

tsquared
03-20-2007, 06:21 PM
you guys are sooooooo funny....

and Mary *ahem* I am not the crazy one in these parts :P

sorry buttrfli, but you seem out voted already on that one.............:eek: :D

buttrfli
03-20-2007, 06:24 PM
sorry buttrfli, but you seem out voted already on that one.............:eek: :D

Touché :p

Eyore
03-20-2007, 06:27 PM
Sounds like this is going on.

Shill Bidding
The deliberate placing of bids to artificially raise the price of an item. This practice undermines trust in the eBay Community and is not permitted. To avoid the appearance of involvement in this activity, family members, friends, and individuals living together, working together, or sharing a computer should not bid on each other's items.

Heidi
03-20-2007, 08:24 PM
If that is what they are doing, don't worry. Ebay will figure it out! Both accounts will be suspended. I did Shill bidding one time when my account was hijacked. Both my accounts were suspended until I called eBay and got it squared away. I just didn't want people bidding on the auctions under my name which didn't exist.

MistyWolf
03-20-2007, 09:10 PM
I don't think your crazy (maybe I am crazy too .. lol) .. I know people that have had family members (no not me .. lol) do just that .. they pushed the bid higher.

PJDancer
03-20-2007, 10:27 PM
No it happens all of the time, I don't think you are being paranoid at all. The best thing to do if you can is don't put in your max bid. Bid something low and then keep it there and then bid in the last 10 seconds with your maximum bid. I do this all of the time to win the auctions I want *and*keep the price as low as possible as a buyer.

mirage7000
03-21-2007, 03:23 PM
I've been to live auctions and seen it happen. Everything from homes, cars, antiques.

buttrfli
03-21-2007, 03:32 PM
See... thats what I think ppl think about my auction lol

I have one going on right now and a new member keeps bidding like that (not their fault) and now I think that other bidders will think I am having my item bid up on purpose, when I am not.

I had 2 bidders withdraw their bids and I think thats the reason.

freeby4me
03-21-2007, 03:36 PM
Do you think this new person wont purchase the item??

buttrfli
03-21-2007, 03:54 PM
I have no reason to think that.. I just think the way they are bidding is weird. I know I can cancel their bid, but I hate to ruin ebay for anyone over my paranoia lol

irishchick
03-21-2007, 04:24 PM
i would be very curious, if this person wins, if they pay !

buttrfli
03-21-2007, 04:39 PM
well it ends in 26 hours... so I'll know soon LOL

Everyone was new once (even me lol). The only thing that makes me curious is they way they bid.. but like I said, they are new and maybe they just don't understand how the maximum bid works.

Its probably just fine... and me just being me :D

tsquared
03-21-2007, 05:54 PM
How much did you want me to bid this time????? I forgot to write it down..........

buttrfli
03-21-2007, 06:42 PM
dangit T ... see if I ever ask you to do that again :p

pepperpot
03-21-2007, 06:47 PM
When I first bid at ebay, I kept bidding until I realized I just kept raising the price for myself! lol Then I learned to snipe:p

YankeeMary
03-21-2007, 06:52 PM
I was and still am one of those terrible bidders. The last time though I used the maxium bid option. I have always been to chicken to use it since I didn't totally understand it...lol. So from here on out I will use the Max. bid option so Teri doesn't come here and talk bad about me...haha.

buttrfli
03-21-2007, 06:54 PM
So from here on out I will use the Max. bid option so Teri doesn't come here and talk bad about me...haha.

Yea.. like that is gonna stop me :p

YankeeMary
03-21-2007, 08:27 PM
Yea.. like that is gonna stop me :p

good point:D

buttrfli
03-22-2007, 07:27 PM
bought and paid for....

I AM paranoid LOL