PDA

View Full Version : My little Sister and her bad decisions

andreame70
03-18-2007, 07:00 PM
I love my little sis so much, she has been through more in her 18 years than anyone should ever have to endure and yet, even though she is so bright, she still continues to make some really serious stupid mistakes.

She fell in love when she was 16 with a worthless, good for nothing, loser. There is no other way to describe him. He dropped out of school, began using drugs. (I mean really bad drugs, crack cocaine and heroine.) I can't tell you how many times we tried to help him. We all spoke to him about how important it was to get his life together and begin supporting himself. He was 20 (when they started dating) and had done nothing with his life...he still hasn't.

At 17, my sis got pregnant by this guy and had my beautiful little niece. We were disappointed that it would happen so young in her life, but my sis continued with college and we (Me, Mom and Dad) helped her with the baby. We still continue to help because we want to make sure she can get her education behind her.

So many times, she has talked about getting rid of the slacker in her life and so many times she just couldn't shake him. He will lie to her to make her feel bad and she cowers down and defends him. She defends the fact that he won't work. She defends the fact that he refuses to pay his court ordered child support ($300 a month.) He is about to be arrested in a few days for failure to pay. He has not paid one single penny since the court order was written and he is now $1500 in arrears.

Just the other day, we find out that my sis is pregnant once again. I swear to God, I want to hit her over the head with a 2X4. What the heck is it going to take to make her see that this is not the way to move forward in her life?
Two babies now by a good for nothing, non supporting piece of trash.

It is approaching three years that they have been together. In those three years, this boy has never once taken my sis on a real date. He has never taken her out to eat and pay for it. Not one trip to the movies where he paid. Nothing! She finished high school, worked part-time and now has started college. She pays for everything that they do.

In the back of my mind, I somehow believe that maybe she feels she doesn't deserve better than this. I don't know. All I know is that it breaks my heart to see her waste her time on someone that it is not worth it. So now I am here venting... I know there is nothing I can do, but be there for her when the chips start to fall. I do wish there was some way to make her see it for herself. Sigh.....

Andrea

CLEATUS
03-18-2007, 07:30 PM
I really don't know what to tell ya, I can sympathize though, It seems like some girls are just attracted to the wrong guys. I know it is frustrating when there is nothing you can do to make her see that these are the wrong choices. I guess all you can do is hope she opens her eyes to what is going on. Maybe she will meet someone who will treat her right.

Freebeemom
03-19-2007, 05:12 AM
My sister is very similar...althogh I am done making excuses for her. She is in charge of her life. She makes the poor decisions and will have to learn to live with them.

I understand it can be frustrating to sit and watch things happen to her, but unfortunatley, your sister needs to learn to live with her consequences.

tljohn123
03-19-2007, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=andreame70;95546582]I love my little sis so much, she has been through more in her 18 years than anyone should ever have to endure and yet, even though she is so bright, she still continues to make some really serious stupid mistakes.

Just the other day, we find out that my sis is pregnant once again. I swear to God, I want to hit her over the head with a 2X4. What the heck is it going to take to make her see that this is not the way to move forward in her life?
Two babies now by a good for nothing, non supporting piece of trash.

I know what you mean ....oh I know what you mean. My sister, who is 39 has has 6 kids (most of which I have NEVER seen thanks to her boyfriend) got into a major league fight with her boyfriend and left him. We were all doing happy dances because we thought she was FINALLY done with him! She had left the kids behind. We thought she was going to go back to get the kids but she didn't. I'm still not sure why. Anyway, she was gone for three weeks. And then she talked to the butthead. And he convinced her to come back things will be different blah blah blah. Yep, she went back. And it's been 3 months I believe. And guess what...things are just about where there were before she left. And now I wonder if he's hitting her again.

Unfortunately, your sister has to deal with the choices that she has made in her life. She knows she's in a bad relationship but what can she do? Miraculously hope that things will change even though you and all your family know that they won't. Your sister's boyfriend seems to be the type of person who has a 'way with words'. He doesn't want to lose his meal ticket so he will say anything he has to to get her to stay. I'm not saying your sister is gullible, but perhaps she does love him and in some tiny part of her mind believes him when he says he's going to change..even though she knows he won't.

Be there for her because you know she's going to need you. Be happy in the fact that you are able to have something to do with your sister and her children, because my family hasn't been able to. My sister's boyfriend had convinced her that we were all evil basically and wanted to break them up and she should never see us or speak to us ever again. He darn near got his wish.

If you need to talk, call me. I'm here. I'll be calling you pretty soon anyway cuz I need to talk :)

buttrfli
03-19-2007, 07:26 AM
In the back of my mind, I somehow believe that maybe she feels she doesn't deserve better than this. I don't know. All I know is that it breaks my heart to see her waste her time on someone that it is not worth it. So now I am here venting... I know there is nothing I can do, but be there for her when the chips start to fall. I do wish there was some way to make her see it for herself. Sigh.....

Andrea

And you are probably right about her feeling like she doesn't deserve more...

Shes lucky to have you as a sister.

hunny
03-19-2007, 07:51 AM
She sounds super strong, shes still very young, give her some time to learn from her mistakes. It sounds like some therapy could help, maybe she is lacking some self-confidence,we all do at times. I feel the same about my lil sis, I worry about her. All we can do is be there for them, and try not to judge.