PDA

View Full Version : @*#!$*% Grocery Store

CLEATUS
03-17-2007, 08:15 AM
I am soooo sick of grocery store cashiers and A-holes behind me in line rolling there eyes and getting all impatient when I use my coupons.:mad: I usually have about $50 worth of cents off and frees coupons when I go shopping. It's me and my husbands hard earned money and I try to get the most I can for it. I always try to make it easy for the cashier and put all my free's together at the end of my shopping order and they still act like it is a big inconvience for them to take the extra time to go through y coupons.WTF, your a cashier at a grocery store:confused: Dosn't that go along with the territory????
What I get tired of are these people who have 4+ kids and wear there designer clothes and Prada bags and buy things at the store that I could never afford and then bitch about the balance on their FOOD STAMP CARD:mad: . But people don't seem to be bothered by that as much.I guess my using COUPONS and paying with MY OWN MONEY are more of a problem for them:rolleyes:

Sorry this just bothers me, had to vent;)

freeby4me
03-17-2007, 08:28 AM
Dont blame ya one bit! I would rather see someone hold up the line with coupons then.....well I dont have a something else but I dont mind :)

tnfuhs
03-17-2007, 08:31 AM
The cashier was rolling her eyes too? I would email the company and complain, the store manager should speak to the cashier about it, thats how they lose good paying customers.

gonnascream
03-17-2007, 09:06 AM
I never seem to get a problem with the cashiers, but the people behind me....ugh.

I had a guy behind me start huffing. Everytime she scanned one, he huffed.

I finally just looked at him and said all the huffing and puffing isn't going to make me get out of line any faster so get over it. The cashier just grinned and told me I had saved 45.00 off my purchase.

CLEATUS
03-17-2007, 09:44 AM
I never seem to get a problem with the cashiers, but the people behind me....ugh.

I finally just looked at him and said all the huffing and puffing isn't going to make me get out of line any faster so get over it. The cashier just grinned and told me I had saved 45.00 off my purchase.

Oh yeah the guy behind me at the store last night was huffing and looking at his watch:rolleyes: Come on now it was a fat, balding guy in his late 40's buying a box of rogaine, a gallon of Icecream and a magazine. It was almost 11:00pm and he acted like he was in such a hurry, I'm sure his social life is just hopping:D , I would have let him go ahead of me but as soon as I got my coupons out he looked at me like I killed his dog....so i made him wait:D

LitWtch
03-17-2007, 10:10 AM
They're probably just pissed off because THEY can't save that amount.....

JKATHERINE
03-17-2007, 10:28 AM
I hear ya. It happens to me pretty often, too. Of course, once in a while I'll have someone behind me smile or leave their jaw hanging open when they see how much I saved. The most I ever saved in one trip was right around $200. The entire line behind me was like "what the heck??" I don't worry about people who huff and puff now. I just do my thing and annoy them. If they wanted quick service they should have gone thru an express or self-checkout lane.

taylyn
03-17-2007, 10:38 AM
I Don't Get why people Get all Bent out of shape either:confused:

Its Like Where the Hell Do these People Have to Get to That they can't Stay in line an Extra 5 or 10 Minutes. ??
If they were in that much of a Hurry to Begin with - Why would they even stop at the Darn grocery Store??:mad:
I've Worked as a Cashier too- so I've seen People Get Pissed for all kinds of things -
Another thing is a Price Check. Talk about people Getting Mad!

Or if Someones Debit Card doesn't Go through??
OMG People Curse and stomp their Feet in Anger:rolleyes:
God forbid anyone have to Wait anymore-

Its just ridiculous -
And I Know their Are Some Cashiers - Who Act as if you are Comitting a crime or take Money from their Paychecks or something if you use More than 5 coupons:rolleyes:
I don't get that Mentality either!

meep_meep
03-17-2007, 01:13 PM
wow.

I agree-- and the what some other posters have said, my debit/credit card got declined 5 times in a row, my face was BEAT red, and I was appologizing profusely, yeah it was only a $20 purchase, but still.

turns out it wasn't me, it was satillete link that they had. I got lucky, ours was the only register where they didn't have reboot it and redo the entire order, but they turned out to cash only-- at that point 90% of the people left. We walked over to our banks atm (convient location!) and got the cash for the rest of the groceries in the second order.

hblueeyes
03-17-2007, 02:30 PM
I totally understand. I get those rude people in line behind me too. But hey whether it is cash or a food stamp debit card I dont care. if I can save, I do it. My best ever was when I spen over $300 and yet it only cost me $32 and change. Sure I spent an extra hour at the store plus about an hour clipping and checking sale ads and stuff. So I made aboyt $150 an hour for that trip. Hubby used to complain too. It does take longer at the store but when he sees the haul and hears what I spend he is always happy. They dont call me "The Coupon Lady" at Jewel for nothing:D

One time the witch behind me was "oh no COUPONS!" I politely said to her, Well you can give me the $120 I am going to save by using coupons and I'll be out of here sooner. She shut up.

I would also report the cashier. Stores accept coupons for many reasons, one is which they get reimbursed plus extra for handling. If it didn't work they would stop accepting them.

me:p

whatever
03-17-2007, 04:47 PM
I know all about your pain, Happens to me all the time. the last 2 yrs i have gotten to be a coupon queen:cool: And i have had my share of annoyed people behind me and a few cashiers. I have called stores and reported them also. And gotten calls back, not sure if they actually do any good, but a the walmart i go to the most the cashiers are more tolerable when it comes to my couponing.;)

Prunella
03-17-2007, 04:54 PM
I suffer from knockitoffassholeitis disease that makes me move really slow when someone keeps bumping me with their cart. I can't help it. :D

Rogerslmc
03-18-2007, 07:30 AM
I suffer from knockitoffassholeitis disease that makes me move really slow when someone keeps bumping me with their cart. I can't help it. :D

LOL! I understand all of it! Hubby used to whine also! Now he just sits at home!

Cashiers are good at WalMart. I use my coupons AND price match from all over! All they won't price match is BOGO!

qtpie121
03-18-2007, 07:39 AM
I don't understand why they are impatient with you just as I don't understand how you are so judgemental of those using food stamps. Maybe their nice clothing and bags were bought when they had a good job, maybe they lost their job. Who cares what they eat, they will have to be the ones budgeting the food they go through in a month when the card is empty. I do not get food stamps but there are people who need them. Would you prefer them to adopt their children out and wear sweat suits to the grocery store so you don't have to witness them shopping. Karma I guess.

Rogerslmc
03-18-2007, 07:54 AM
I don't understand why they are impatient with you just as I don't understand how you are so judgemental of those using food stamps. Maybe their nice clothing and bags were bought when they had a good job, maybe they lost their job. Who cares what they eat, they will have to be the ones budgeting the food they go through in a month when the card is empty. I do not get food stamps but there are people who need them. Would you prefer them to adopt their children out and wear sweat suits to the grocery store so you don't have to witness them shopping. Karma I guess.

I understand part of th food stamp snarls. I have been approached in the grocery store when I was shopping for the month and had full cart. The person asked if I wanted to buy $400.00 of their food stamps for $200.00 as they had too many. I said how can you have too many? Had 3 kids and self and received $865.00 a month. Now, I have 5 to feed and only spend around $300.00 a month as I coupon and shop very carefully. This cart held steak, shrimp, soda and chips. All name brand. I buy all the above ONLY when on sale and stock up. The shrimp was NOT on sale that week (9.99).

So some abuse the program.

whatever
03-18-2007, 11:19 AM
I understand part of th food stamp snarls. I have been approached in the grocery store when I was shopping for the month and had full cart. The person asked if I wanted to buy $400.00 of their food stamps for $200.00 as they had too many. I said how can you have too many? Had 3 kids and self and received $865.00 a month. Now, I have 5 to feed and only spend around $300.00 a month as I coupon and shop very carefully. This cart held steak, shrimp, soda and chips. All name brand. I buy all the above ONLY when on sale and stock up. The shrimp was NOT on sale that week (9.99).

So some abuse the program.
I'm betting they wanted the cash to buy cigerattes or beer, or some other recreational product:rolleyes: I have heard about this on the news around here all the time. If you get these offers, that is why. Its happening alot around here. You are supposed to report it.;)

CLEATUS
03-18-2007, 12:09 PM

I am not judgemental of those who USE food stamps, I am judgemental of those who ABUSE food stamps. I have had to use food stamps before and I still tried to get a bargain whenever I could, I stiil cliped coupons and if I did own expensive luxury items I would be damned if I didn't sell them to take care of my family. I know a few people who fall into the whole abusing the system catagory and believe me i have turned them in, (for whatever good it does), And I DO care what they buy because it is my tax money paying for it. I wish these people would be caught doing this type of thing because it is screwing others out of getting any help when they need it.

And as far as adopting out children well that just sounds a little dramatic to me:rolleyes: , I'm not a bitch I just wish people were honest & had a consience.....Well I guess if KARMA comes into play they will get theirs:)

Shann
03-18-2007, 01:33 PM
I have never had that happen, but I don't usually have a ton of coupons to use. I can't stand the people that wait til their whole order is rung up for them to THEN dig through their purse to find their check book and start writing out the check.. I'll be honest that annoys me to no end! they need to have that checkbook out and ready from the get-go.

tsquared
03-18-2007, 02:26 PM
I have never figured out what is so slow about using coupons........you scan the order, look at the date on the coupon, scan it and if it beeps find out why, if it doesnt put it in the drawer and move on to the next one. If it is free item i would rather have the coupon with the free item so i can write the price on it and go on especially if it is a family shopping for lots of items then things are easy to find. It doesnt take long to do the process at all.

27Summers
03-18-2007, 03:16 PM
I never mind when someone uses coupons, it's usually the cashier that causes things to slow down in my experience. Besides, I'm always curious to see the savings, I just wish I could coupon with the best of em', with 4 kids and a husband, it gets hard to feed us all, plus we are so busy almost every night that frozen pizzas and quick meals are all we ever seem to make...I lost all my creativity...darnnit all :D

irishchick
03-18-2007, 04:36 PM
aww summers i know what you mean about the quick meals and losing your creativity..im tired of the same ole stuff..chicken chicken chicken..ugh!
lol
anyways, we are a family of 7 , my husband lost his job after 5 years, was out of work for 6 months. we applied for the access card for insurance purposes but they also offered us food stamps. 167 dollars for 7 people..for that woman to get over 8oo oMG ! they must have NO income, we had unemployment. now, thankfully, my husband is back to work, full time with any over time he can get. i stay at home with the kids , 2 are not in school as of yet...and we still qualify for 167 dollars in fs.
OK...anyways...dont know why i blubbered bout that...ive been in both sides of the street i guess.
what i want to know..is the secret to all the savings ??????????????/ i want in on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HELP !!!

cathych
03-18-2007, 05:16 PM
What about these people who go to the store KNOWING that they are going to write a check, yet, when the total is rung up, they invariably have to DIG thru their purse (which is always the size of a suitcase, btw), then they don't know the date, they don't have a pen, then, after all that, they have to dig again to get their liscense. Talk about irratating. At least the people with coupons are ready.

amysusi
03-19-2007, 11:44 AM
Couponers - clip away!!

I personally think it's stupid NOT to use coupons. But that comment is directed towards all those huffy people rolling their eyes and to those making comments about how uneducated we must be to have to use coupons because we can't afford food.

nismochick
03-19-2007, 02:09 PM
I love to use coupons though I wish I could use them more often - I am like one of those recreational couponers. :D
I also work as a cashier at a grocery store so I know the other side of it too. I don't think that there should be any reason to rush and I don't mind it when someone hands me a stack of coupons. I get paid to be there anyway. If somepeople don't like it, they should just go to a different lane.
There are people that do come through every once in a while that seem to be in an extreme rush that perhaps it takes me a couple of seconds longer to count out their change or something. ;) I don't do it much and especially if there is someone else behind them. But there are days.....

kyswpgrl
03-19-2007, 04:08 PM
What about these people who go to the store KNOWING that they are going to write a check, yet, when the total is rung up, they invariably have to DIG thru their purse (which is always the size of a suitcase, btw), then they don't know the date, they don't have a pen, then, after all that, they have to dig again to get their liscense. Talk about irratating. At least the people with coupons are ready.

I totally agree! That's a big pet peeve of mine as well. And then when they DO finally write it out and takes forever. Especially at Walmart now that they have to digitally fill out the check anyway. I mean all they have to do is hand over a blank check. They don't have to fill it out at all anymore, but they still do. WHY??? Maybe someone here can enlighten me on that. LOL The cashier still gives them a receipt, so what does it matter?

I've had the eye rolls back in the day I did heavy couponing, which I don't really have time for anymore. Also loved the looks I got for the whole 3 months I was on WIC, which by the way is the only government assistance I have EVER received. I was never even eligible for anything else when I was a single mom of two kids because they made me figure child support into it (even though the butthead wasn't paying).

bonniejeanne
03-19-2007, 07:49 PM
[QUOTE=kyswpgrl;95547047]I totally agree! That's a big pet peeve of mine as well. And then when they DO finally write it out and takes forever. Especially at Walmart now that they have to digitally fill out the check anyway. I mean all they have to do is hand over a blank check. They don't have to fill it out at all anymore, but they still do. WHY??? Maybe someone here can enlighten me on that. LOL The cashier still gives them a receipt, so what does it matter?[QUOTE]

The customers that usually want to fill out the check are the older folks who just can't seem to break the habit. I usually tell them that the printer will print it out for them, but they get downright irritated about it and write out the check anyway. Not only that, but they want to borrow (not even ask please) my pen to write the check, then fill out the amount in their checkbook, and then proceed to balance it. It holds up my line another five minutes or more while they do that. I can understand those who have the
carbon copy type of checks, but most do not have that. I really don't understand why people carry around checkbooks with no pens. I always have one in mine. You know how many pens I lose by customers walking away with them? And walmart does not furnish our pens, we have to buy them ourselves. I would say that 90% of my customers who write checks do not have pens. Then there are those who make a debit transaction and need my pen to write that in their book. Why not just put their receipt in their checkbook and write it later?

PJDancer
03-20-2007, 02:05 AM
lol!

i actually suffer from backwards disease...when i am in line and someone is bumping me (either with their cart or standing basically on top of me) i *somehow* don't notice and take a big step back.

:rolleyes:

PJDancer
03-20-2007, 02:06 AM
Couponers - clip away!!

I personally think it's stupid NOT to use coupons. But that comment is directed towards all those huffy people rolling their eyes and to those making comments about how uneducated we must be to have to use coupons because we can't afford food.

i totally agree, it is stupid not to use coupons..hello it is free money!

MistyWolf
03-20-2007, 04:33 AM
I was on WIC when my kids were both babies and I always used to go late to get my formula because lines weren't long, and I am a night owl so why not.

This one time the cashier looked at me and huffed when she seen my WIC coupons and rudely asked if she could ring the lady behind be who just had this huge bottle of wine .. and I told her yes I do mind .. I had to wait my turn and so shall she! .. There was a lady ahead of me that I waited for and fair is only fair. Now, if that cashier wasn't so rude about it, I wouldn't have had a problem.

I do think it's annoying if your writing a check and wait to the very end to start writing your check, but I don't get all huffy about it.

Oh, and I do use coupons .. I'd be crazy not too .. And when I have a free item, I always tell the cashier ahead of time so it's easier for her to deduct.

3lilpigs
03-20-2007, 12:13 PM
I put my items on the belt, and never look behind me. I totally ignore anyone in line. Why should I care what someone else thinks. Let them huff and puff.....their problem not mine. Why let it bother you....you're getting the deal, not them.

They just huff and puff because they want your attention.....why give it to them?

akkia
03-20-2007, 01:13 PM
oh lordy I had a good time reading this thread....I can relate to what everyone is saying for sure!

I have had the same experiences when using coupons...the people behind me that get mad (and there have been several) I just ignore them but I sure as heck dont get in a hurry about anything once they start that crap LOL

The cashiers are the ones that get me mad...their crappy attitudes...one even argued with me that I couldnt use a coupon on a trial size because it made it free....I pointed out that it didnt say a specific size or exclude trial size and she still said no....I made her call the manager and he said it was fine...her face went red and she was ticked off, but oh well serves her right hahaha

xtrememom
03-21-2007, 01:54 PM
As a person who recieves food stamps because I am disabled and DH pays out $400 a month for Health Insurance. I use coupons and I have gotten comments from cashiers and customers alike and even other people who recevie assistance snottily saying why are you using coupons your getting free money. Well no I am not we still pay taxes, we dont get much per month although they finally increased based on the fact I pay out $300 a month in RX's. I look at it this way I get assistance my DH works pays into the state taxes and he is in a way paying for what little assistance we get and the least I can do is save money and in some cases get double what I get per month on the EBT Card in food. I used coupons when I was on WIC, tried to tell me I couldnt and I carried the state handout direct from the Health Dept that said they encourage coupon use. REcently Turkey Hill Ice Cream was on sale for $1.99 I had coupons for 50 cents off, I was in every day getting the max of 4 and paying 99 cents per carton and shoving them in my freezer. I truly hate when someone huffs and puffs at my coupon use and using the EBT card, usually they cant tell its FS but some people know what the cards look like. When my DH was making $45,000 a yr I sill couponed and did what I could to get stuff for free or close to free, I grew up with a couponing mom and dad and its in my nature to save what I can. SO they can huff and puff all they want I look at it this way I am saving more money than they probably have in 10 yrs in one shopping trip.

xtrememom

janelle
03-21-2007, 03:08 PM
The churches now have those GCs to buy things at different stores. We sometimes use them and along with my coupons it may look like we are on food stamps but we aren't.

We are just trying to raise money for our church which get a percentage for each dollar spent at the store. Looks can be deceiving. So if I am buying steaks and other expensive things it doesn't mean I can't afford them.:confused:

gmyers
03-21-2007, 07:54 PM
Where are some good places to get coupons? Our Sunday paper has some but not very many.

CLEATUS
03-21-2007, 08:02 PM
Where are some good places to get coupons? Our Sunday paper has some but not very many.

I register at many companies websites, they usually send out coupons in the mail, sometimes really good ones. I also get alot of good coupons by printing them from the computer (everyone on here is great about posting good coupon offers).:)

xtrememom
03-22-2007, 11:29 AM

As Cleatus said manufacturers sites a a good place to start. Here they offer 2 copies of the Sunday paper for $2 so I always get that to get double coupons and several of my neighbors dont use coupons or only use certain ones and give me their inserts from Sunday. My mom passes hers down to me and she gets extras from her pet-sitting clients, so I get sometimes anywhere from the two I buy to 30 or more inserts to clip. I also have in the past when I went to the recycle center grabbed inserts people had put into the newspaper bin for recycling until they made it a top loader and I wont climb into that sucker nor can I convince DH to do it.

xtrememom

shellayne
03-29-2007, 03:13 AM

This happens all the time where I work--at a Grocery Store---we double coupons up to $1.00 and are the only ones in town that I know of that double that much. That is where most of the traffic comes from. The company states limit 1 double cpn and the others are face value...people still complain when they cannot get the 2nd and 3rd doubled, especially if the item is on sale and they practically get it for free. People huff and puff all the time especially people standing in line! Oh well--coupon were made for a reason!! Keep using them and don't worry about the people standing in line!!!!!!!!

PrincessArky
03-29-2007, 05:42 AM
I have had the same problems now when I go to the store there are certain ones I simply will not go to and when asked why I won't I just tell the assistant managers that I don't like being waited on by rude people. One of the RUDEST ever I reported to the manager and went into great detail and he acted like he would really get something done........well he did alright she has moved up in rank at the store lol

freebielover
03-29-2007, 10:45 AM
I've seen people flip out over other people using coupons but honestly who cares? I'd rather stand behind someone using coupons then the people who put one item on the belt, wait for it to be scanned, check the price, complain about the price then put the next item up. Thats when I get irritated and leave the store. Coupons take 2 seconds to ring in, unless you're at walmart where they check each one by hand and it takes FOREVER.

thinktink
03-29-2007, 11:43 AM
I completely agree! i used to be a bashier, coupons never bugged me since i use them myself, but the complaining about the bill with food was always a pet peeve.