PDA

View Full Version : Mommy brag...

buttrfli
03-16-2007, 02:57 PM
My baby just got into our local KIPP school! I am sooo happy! Anyone can apply and get in, but they normally target minorities who live in rough neighborhoods and who go to low performing schools, but its an excellent opportunity for her (or any child) and I was thrilled when they called a few days ago and told me there was a spot open!

She went and "shadowed" another student today and she REALLY liked it. They only have 5th through 8th grade, so I hope that she will be able to stay all 4 years. :D

Aloha from paradise
03-16-2007, 03:04 PM
Congrats! Hope she likes the school and does well:D

freeby4me
03-16-2007, 03:08 PM
Wow that sounds so awesome!! Congrats for sure!!

mamalamas
03-16-2007, 03:55 PM
Congrats to you and your daughter! Hope everything works out good for her!

nanajoanie
03-16-2007, 04:09 PM
That's wonderful news but I have to ask, what is KIPP school?

buttrfli
03-16-2007, 04:20 PM
KIPP = Knowledge is power program

Its a charter school, for college prep. They have several all over the US. Heres some info from her school page:

* Extended day schedule. Classes during the school year operate Monday – Thursday, 7:30a.m. – 5:00p.m.; Friday, 7:30a.m. – 4:00p.m.

* Saturday School. Classes are in session on alternate weekends from 8:00a.m. to 1:00p.m. Sessions include tutoring and study hall along with enrichment courses such as Dance, Physical Fitness, Foreign Language and Music. Attendance is mandatory.

* Summer School during the month of July. Attendance is mandatory.

* Experiential Field Lessons. Local and out-of-state field lessons are designed to broaden students’ view of the world and their life experiences. Out-of-state field lessons are linked to core curriculum class plans. Destinations include, but not limited to, Washington, D.C, Chicago and California.

* Teachers are available each evening via mobile phone for additional help with homework.

* A discipline system that effectively meets the needs of teaching and learning.

* A behavior modification program that ensures student values and complete homework daily.

* Parents, students and teachers all sign and are expected to adhere to the Commitment to Excellence contract.

* A strong hold to our school values including Respect, Teamwork, Commitment, Organization, Initiative and Balance

Its a LOT of work, but shes so ready for it. Last year quick trip bought every 5th grader a new home computer since they do so much homework.

Shes not a minority, she does not go to an at risk school and shes not at risk for getting involved in a gang, but I want her to have this opportunity. (as a matter of fact, she is going to be the only white kid there, but it didn't bother her one bit! :) ) If you search youtube.com for 'kipp academy' there have been a lot of stories on it. Oprah featured it on one of her shows too (I have not seen that one)

Today was the deciding factor. I told her if she didn't like it then she didn't have to go (no pressure lol) but I am glad she liked it. :D

irishchick
03-16-2007, 04:45 PM
i think its just fabulous news ! good for her !!!

(personally i like the extra school hours..can i get my kids in too ? all five of them? they are avail. 24-7

lol

nanajoanie
03-16-2007, 05:09 PM
KIPP = Knowledge is power program

Its a charter school, for college prep. They have several all over the US. Heres some info from her school page:

Its a LOT of work, but shes so ready for it. Last year quick trip bought every 5th grader a new home computer since they do so much homework.

Shes not a minority, she does not go to an at risk school and shes not at risk for getting involved in a gang, but I want her to have this opportunity. (as a matter of fact, she is going to be the only white kid there, but it didn't bother her one bit! :) ) If you search youtube.com for 'kipp academy' there have been a lot of stories on it. Oprah featured it on one of her shows too (I have not seen that one)

Today was the deciding factor. I told her if she didn't like it then she didn't have to go (no pressure lol) but I am glad she liked it. :D

What a fabulous opportunity. Now I'm really happy for you and your daughter. What an experience it will be. When she is finished with the 8th grade she'll be more learned that most graduating seniors. Way to go for sure!!:cool:

tsquared
03-16-2007, 05:32 PM
So i guess she come from her dads side of the family huh.........tee hee
Congrats to your young lady

YankeeMary
03-16-2007, 05:46 PM
It doesn't surprise me as she gets her smarts from her Auntie Mary. You know I am very happy for her and very proud of her.

Fred12
03-16-2007, 06:02 PM
Congratulations ~ That is wonderful! Tom you better run... LOL

eerie777
03-17-2007, 10:21 AM
Whoohoo, congrats kiddo!!!!:D

JKATHERINE
03-17-2007, 10:56 AM
Congrats!!! That's so great for her (and you)!!