PDA

View Full Version : advice needed on job issues and other problems

dena_darling
03-12-2007, 02:01 PM
I have worked at a dry cleaners store for over 3 yrs. I work at this store by myself. I am friendly with the customers and get my work done. I was told my coworker when I started over 3 yrs ago that I needed to be to work at 6:30am. We open at 7. I have alot of customers come in before 7 and i take them anyway. Today for the first time in over 2 yrs I overslept because my alarm clock did not go off. I got to work at 7:30. The owner called me at 7:45 wanting to know where i have been. He said a customer called him and said that this has happened several times where i'm not there. The owner accused me of coming in and clocking in and then leaving the store. I told him that is not true. I live 30 minutes from work and i would have no place to go even if i did leave work. Then the asst mgr came up and said that i have been coming in to work too early and that is why they were suspicious. I told him when I first started work 3yrs ago, that is the time i was told to come in (6:30). Then he started questioning me on the medicine i had under the counter. He said it looked really suspicious. It is 2 bottles of prescription drugs made out to me. One was Zoloft for depression and the other was Midrin for migraines and the a bottle of advil. He said it looked really strange and would make people wonder. I showed him the bottles but he acted like i'm doing something wrong. Anyway I was sent home for the day to think about things. Mainly cause I get to work 15 minutes too early and because of my medicines. This really pisses me off. I told him I work my butt of getting the work done everyday and it just hurt my feelings that I was being accused of leaving work while being on the clock. I said if me coming in to work too early was a problem they should have told me a long time ago. Don't just come in and say i have a problem because I like to be early for work. I prefer to leave home early to make sure I get to work on time in case there is an accident or something. I can understand if i'm rude to the customers or late all the time or calling in sick but i don't. I come in to work when i'm sick and just throw up in the trash can because I want to be a dependable employee. He said the customers all liked me and don't have a problem with me. But since I get to work 15 minutes early that is a problem.
What should I do, just forget about it. I just keep stressing over it because i think it is stupid thing to get mad about me about. I feel like quiting but I really like my job, the customers, and my hours.

Second problem. This is my life. I go to work, get off at 1. I hang around my childs school till the youngest gets out at 2, my next child gets out at 3, and my other child gets out at 4:30. We go to the park or the library most of the time and occasionally walk around the stores. Then I come home and help them with homework. My problem is I don't have a life. I go to work and come home. We never go out. Dh does not like to. He only likes going fishing and i am not into that. I want to go out at least once a month and do something, go bowling, out to eat, play pool, or go to a movie. Dh says we will, but we never do. I don't have any friends because all my time is spent dealing with the kids. How can I find a friend just to hang out with once in awhile and do something.

Thanks for any advice.

girlwithsoul
03-12-2007, 02:23 PM
As for your job.....you need to sit down with management and discuss, rationally, your job and everything that you've so concisely explained here. I, however, would also start looking for something else in the same field where perhaps you could get better pay and be praised for coming in early.....I would MUCH rather my employee be early than late so I cannot imagine what the heck their problem is with that.

As for friends...find yourself a book club or maybe even join the PTA or something. Just start doing something for yourself and I BET ya find other ladies that like that too. If that doesn't work, schedule a date once a month for you to go out with your hubby. If he already said you'd do something once a month then he shouldn't get crabby about you wanting to schedule it. Just say....hey I want to get a sitter so we can be alone...wink, wink.

Things will get better....no worries.

MistyWolf
03-12-2007, 04:14 PM
As for your job.....you need to sit down with management and discuss, rationally, your job and everything that you've so concisely explained here. I, however, would also start looking for something else in the same field where perhaps you could get better pay and be praised for coming in early.....I would MUCH rather my employee be early than late so I cannot imagine what the heck their problem is with that.

As for friends...find yourself a book club or maybe even join the PTA or something. Just start doing something for yourself and I BET ya find other ladies that like that too. If that doesn't work, schedule a date once a month for you to go out with your hubby. If he already said you'd do something once a month then he shouldn't get crabby about you wanting to schedule it. Just say....hey I want to get a sitter so we can be alone...wink, wink.

Things will get better....no worries.

I agree.

If you like bowling, join a bowling league .. they always need ladies and you are sure to make friends that way.

Taterbo
03-12-2007, 11:47 PM
I to agree with the meeting..Have them spell out your job..Then if they say the shop opens at 7, then fine leave the doors closed and locked until, when the customers complain, tell them to talk to the management about it... I would not leave any medicine under the counter, could fall into the wrong hands, plus it is none of their business what meds you take,,might leave the aspirin but that is all..

You need to get out..the bowling league sounds like a good thing..check out the local alleys they may have an afternoon league with child care set up.. I also agree with the date night...once a month..you pick something to do the next month he does..maybe a movie, bowling, a ride to another town and dinner, go check out the local sights...Once a month is not a lot to ask...

Good luck..

speedygirl
03-13-2007, 09:34 AM
I had the same problem with my DH and I solved it by telling him that I was going to have my own social life. I went out tothe movies, dinner and so forth with my friends. Not very often but I did. Once he saw that I could amuse myself with out him, he got a little insecure and wanted to do things with me again. ;)
He was home so he watched the kids those few nights I went out.

Freebeemom
03-14-2007, 05:14 AM
Well, as far as your job is concerned....sounds like you need to discuss things with your boss. WHy are you keeping prescription drugs under the counter? Probably best to keep them with you (in a purse or bag or something).

Social Life? Ha! I have 4 children. The only social life I have is in organizations they are involved in. It is important, however, to get out once in a while. For you and your husband. I think you probably need to make an effort to try to do things he likes as well, that way he will work with you on what you want to do. Suggest a family trip fishing and then even a family movie. Once you do that, perhaps you will open a door to do something new.

PTA, Library board, something to get out and meet new people would be a nice way. Maybe, since you are off work at 1, you could go in and volunteer in the school for that extra hour?