PDA

View Full Version : Ebay question...

buttrfli
03-11-2007, 07:56 AM
Ok, I am irritated, but not mad (yet).

I bought and paid for a book on Feb 15. I e-mailed the seller on march 1st to let her know that I haven't received it yet and this was her reply:

Yes, it shipped 2/18. It SHOULD have been there by now. That being said, Media Mail is very unpredictable as it is the POs lowest Priority. Sometimes it arrives in a few days and sometimes it takes up to 3-4 weeks (so far the record is 5.5 weeks). There never seems to be any rhyme or reason to it either. Hopefully yours will arrive soon. Unfortunately, the PO will not look into anything until it's been 30 days. Delivery confirmation will likely show "electronically notified..." until it is delivered. The USPS is mainly using these numbers as delivery confirmation instead of tracking these days. Let's give it another week or so, then I will replace or refund (whatever you choose)

I have a problem with a couple of her statements, but I e-mailed her back on the 9th (friday) to let her know I still haven't received the book.... and I haven't heard back from her.

The clock is ticking on how many days I have to report to paypal/ebay ... how much longer should I wait to report it to ebay/paypal if I get no response?

I have been more than patient and I REALLY want to read this book lol I've been polite in my communication with her and I HATE having to report things, but I am going to before my time is up.

She never sent me a DC number... I didn't even pay for one since it was going to be shipped by media mail and I have never heard of the PO taking that long to deliver media mail.... they might lose something, but taking 5 weeks to deliver?

stephanyb
03-11-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm big on ebay, and I've never had anything take that long to deliver. Either selling or buying. I would say it's been almost a month, I'd leave her a email saying your gonna report this to ebay and leave a negative feedback. Give her a day to respond and then do it. She should have a tracking number, which I've never had a problem using. What book did you order....lol....maybe I can help you.:)

Johnslambchop
03-11-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm a seller on ebay and I've never heard it take that long for Media Mail either. A couple of weeks yes but not as long as you have waited. If the seller has ceased communications with you, you should file an INR with Paypal (if you paid via paypal). INR is Item Not Received. Do all of your further communication through that complaint. I'm sure once you escalate the situation the seller will start responding. How expensive was the item you bought? If it wasn't expensive the buyer could just refund you your money. Also, if they mention insurance - note that Insurance is for the seller's protection, not the buyer. You are required to receive the book once you paid.

buttrfli
03-11-2007, 08:35 AM
The book was Heart Shaped Box by Joe Hill (steven kings son)

It was only $13 and some change, not a lot, but I want the book! LOL

I have been buying and selling on ebay for 6 years and I have also never heard of something taking so long to be delivered, thats why i am kind of suspicious about it.

I am going to give her till tomorrow.

ahippiechic
03-11-2007, 09:20 AM
If you don't get it, try Amazon. I got a copy for 12.45 and because I ordered some other stuff too, free shipping.

Heidi
03-11-2007, 10:00 AM
If you don't want things to get hostile, email her and let her know that you have to file a claim with Paypal before the time frame expires. I believe it is 45days. But you might check into it. I've been selling on eBay since 2000 and have about 2,100 feedback. I have never had a package not show up. I have had some that took a week or so longer than it should have, but never just not show up. It will be the sellers responsibility to prove that she shipped the package by way of a delivery confirmation number, a receipt with your zip code on it will not work. Anyway, good luck!

Eyore
03-11-2007, 11:07 AM
I know things can take a while sometimes to get through. A few years ago I sold a precious moments figurine on ebay. I shipped it Priority Mail with insurance. It took a month for that figurine to get to the person I sold it to.
Luckly she was very nice about it and she kept telling me to give it time. I was the one the was worrying that she wouldn't get it. I was very happy once she finally recieved it.
But I know ebay has changed some over the years and there are some people out there that are dishonest.
What is her feedback like? If she over all has very good feedback I would be inclined to think it is the post office being slow.
If you contacted her over the weekend maybe she is away or something and that is why you haven't heard back from her yet. Maybe she will contact you tonight or tomorrow sometime.

tsquared
03-11-2007, 11:49 AM
LOL we once shipped my brothers checks to him priority mail and took 3 weeks to get there..............could of drove them there in 5 hours............they got lost behind a bin and found 3 weeks later

Goobie
03-11-2007, 12:01 PM
After 8 days you can file a claim with eBay (which you should do now if you haven't already)

Media Mail is very slow and sometimes it can take a very long time. We've had items in the same state we live in take up to 30 days media mail.

It sounds as though she is being cooperative.

Pepsi4me
03-11-2007, 01:55 PM
She never sent me a DC number... I didn't even pay for one since it was going to be shipped by media mail and I have never heard of the PO taking that long to deliver media mail.... they might lose something, but taking 5 weeks to deliver?

You might not have paid for delivery confirmation but she might have added it. I sell & buy on Ebay alot & when you print postage w/Paypal delivery confirmation is only 14cents extra which I use on all my pkgs.

Ask her for the delivery confirmation & if she doesnt send it then file with Paypal or Ebay.

cpbaby
03-11-2007, 04:26 PM
I had an electric blanket take 6 weeks to get from Colorado to Kentucky via Parcel Post once. I was FREAKING and the seller was FREAKING...they SWORE they mailed it, but you know, after 3 weeks, I just didnt believe them. Low and behold, when I got it, the PO postmark was the day the seller was saying.

PJDancer
03-11-2007, 06:18 PM
I wouldn't get too worried just yet. You said you paid on Feb 15th and she sent it on Feb 18th. That is only 3 weeks today, not 5. When you first emailed her on March 1st, it hadn't even been 2 weeks. When I have ordered things via media mail it has often taken about a month. She seems to be pretty cooperative, and if you emailed her on March 9th, that was this past Friday (only 2 days ago), so perhaps she didn't get to it and doesn't work on the weekends. I think it is more than fair to not expect sellers to have to respond on the weekends. I would give her until maybe Tuesday and email her again, although after 3 weeks you are still well within a reasonable amount of time for media mail.
Also, I had to dispute something with paypal once, and you actually have to wait a certain amount of time before you can dispute (I believe it's *after* 45 days and you haven't received any portion of your order). I had a huge order ($150 worth of wedding items) 2 years ago and when I contacted them to dispute after waiting a month they said they couldn't help me at that point. Of course that was 2 years ago, so perhaps the rules have changed.
In then end if you don't get your book and she is not cooperative (although it sounds like she absolutely is), I would actually go through your bank to reverse the charges. This is what I was planning to do, and let the seller of said transaction above know I was going to do (and my bank was all for it), and magically I received my items. But like I said, I would not do that now since your order is still within the normal time frame of media mail and the seller has been responding to you within a reasonable time frame.

buttrfli
03-11-2007, 07:24 PM
That is only 3 weeks today, not 5.

I never said its been 5 weeks... I can count.

PJDancer
03-11-2007, 07:46 PM

:confused: Sorry, my apologies....I misunderstood and thought that's what you meant by what you typed above.:confused:
I would still give her the benefit of the doubt though. Especially if her feedback rating is good (you didn't mention what if it is or not).

buttrfli
03-11-2007, 08:26 PM
I was making reference to her comment about the "record" of 5.5

When I ordered from her she had pretty good FB... shes had some since I ordered of people not getting their items, but refunded.

I have no intentions of jumping the gun. The seller has been really nice, as have I, but I have just never had media mail take so long.

TxGreek
03-11-2007, 09:42 PM
I know these aren't your words, but I'm quoting what the seller said.

Delivery confirmation will likely show "electronically notified..." until it is delivered. The USPS is mainly using these numbers as delivery confirmation instead of tracking these days.

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: The USPS is mainly using delivery confirmation numbers as delivery confirmation these days?? Ummmm..... yeah. DC is NOT tracking. DC is DC.
Sorry, it annoys me when sellers don't know the basics of selling.
I'll give her the benefit of the doubt and say maybe she just didn't word that correctly. She's just going to cause more confusion when she tells her buyer that tracking and DC are the same.

I would file now. You can always close if it you receive the item. Once you open it, don't close it until you have the book in your hands.

lucim
03-11-2007, 10:33 PM
I don't do ebay, but on February 12th, I sent a box of books (paperbacks) to my brother in California and he still hasn't gotten them. I sent them by media mail. I have sent in the past by media mail and sometimes it gets there in 4-5 days and others it has taken as long as 2 MONTHS. I kid you not. Some media mail is now shipped to other centers and sometimes opened, got that from the postoffice. The "fun" part about it all the centers can be in any state, not the state you reside in or the state the package has been shipped to but any state and any part of any state. From what I was told there are alot of these centers. I think from now on I am going with UPS or just regular mail, no more media. You save a few cents but the wait is unreal..My opinion only.

buttrfli
03-12-2007, 04:53 AM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: The USPS is mainly using delivery confirmation numbers as delivery confirmation these days?? Ummmm..... yeah. DC is NOT tracking. DC is DC.
Sorry, it annoys me when sellers don't know the basics of selling.

EXACTLY! Thats another thing she said that bothers me.

xtrememom
03-12-2007, 05:44 AM
I have seen Parcel Post and Media Mail take months to get where they belong. This past year right after Halloween my mom who had a broken foost asked me to mail 3 boxes to my sister in NH from here in VA. They all were insured, Parcel Post, Delivery Confirmation and sent out on the same day. They were Christmas Items (yep she is done by then) and other things that my sister cant get reasonably priced up there. Well she got box One within 7 days, Box two showed up the next day, Box 3 showed up in January after the Post Office refunded us all the Postage etc. IT was banged up all to heck and some of the items were ruined. I sent her a box of books one time and it took almost 6 weeks to get to her, I had DC on it and I am still trying to figure out why in the heck it had to go to Chicago IL to get to NH?

So yes it can happen things can get lost. I would file now at Paypal for Item Not received I seem to think there is a 30 day window in there. If Seller cant prove by Insurance # or DC that they shipped to you , you win the dispute. As of now dont communicate with Seller do it all thorugh Paypal in the dispute console.

BlueBerriTerri
03-12-2007, 06:05 AM
TRUE STORY--My mom sent my kids a Christmas package through priority mail about 2 or 3 weeks before Christmas 2005. Well, it never came and she was really upset because along with all the candy and junk, she sent each of them (I have 3) a $20 McDonald's gift certificate. She didn't insure it, since every one she sent before had made it. So she replaced them and sent another, which we DID receive. Well, believe it or not, the old package she sent finally shows up. IN MARCH of 2006!!!! I was absolutely dumbfounded. I don't know where it had been, but it did finally get here. Most of the food was inedible, but everything else was great.

meep_meep
03-12-2007, 06:49 AM
I just ordered- on 2-21- my dad a new modem/router combination for his dsl (his old one was failing) paid for it through paypal, and the sent the money. The seller shipped it (for $7.99) via parcel post from CA to IL. On 3-1 when it hadn't arrived I was a little miffed, but waited until the full two weeks of seeing "item in route last seen at xxx california" to conact the seller. I thought they lost it. It showed up last week Friday.

The post office is stupid.

justintime
03-12-2007, 06:56 AM
I know it takes a while ! I used to be a seller on ebay and I had a media mail package take 12 weeks one time to be shipped to a person one state over. The post office has certain centers that all media mail has to shipped through. So lets say my package left indiana on a certain day it would have to go to the media mail center closest to us . So it depends on where ever that closest place is. For some reason I had one go through california one time and it took forever to get to Texas.
The seller should always use tracking or dc number. That is why I always used paypal click and ship because the tracking and dc number are instant. You get it whether you want it or not.
I hope you get it soon. I have had some come quicker than priority too. I had a priority package take 3 weeks one time.

Goobie
03-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I never said its been 5 weeks... I can count.

Yah you did in your very first post:

buttrfli
03-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Yah you did in your very first post:

Ummm no I didn't. And had you read my previous post, you would see that I said I was making reference to her comment about 5 weeks being a record to deliver.

I never said that this has taken 5 weeks... like I said... I can count.

YankeeMary
03-12-2007, 05:25 PM
Ummm no I didn't. And had you read my previous post, you would see that I said I was making reference to her comment about 5 weeks being a record to deliver.

I never said that this has taken 5 weeks... like I said... I can count.

I follow you. You were saying it shouldn't take 5 weeks as the seller stated.:D

buttrfli
03-12-2007, 05:41 PM
I follow you. You were saying it shouldn't take 5 weeks as the seller stated.:D

Exactly LOL

trixntara
03-12-2007, 06:24 PM
I have actually had a book take almost two months to get to me via media mail it was all over and back i swear. USPS media mail is the worse SNAIL MAIL possible.

buttrfli
03-12-2007, 06:27 PM
I have actually had a book take almost two months to get to me via media mail it was all over and back i swear. USPS media mail is the worse SNAIL MAIL possible.

:eek:

momogod
03-16-2007, 10:28 AM
I ordered two items from Ebay last September. They were both sent the same day and both ended up in the same warehouse in Federal Way Washington on the same day. They have yet to be delivered. Both sellers refunded my money.
So media mail can be very very slow at times.............
Laura

thinktink
03-16-2007, 10:30 AM
i would say report her to ebay because that seems like an aweful long time for a book even with them shipping to a PO

PJDancer
03-20-2007, 02:01 AM
did you get your book?

MistyWolf
03-20-2007, 04:51 AM
I ordered a book from Amazon and it took less than 2 weeks to get here.

I'd report the person, get your money back and go to Amazon.

April
03-20-2007, 05:10 AM
All I can say is, I hope you get the book.............it's excellent!!!

buttrfli
03-20-2007, 05:55 AM
Nope! Haven't received it yet.

She told me on the 15th that she would send a replacement. Shes been nice (as have I) but I went ahead and filed with the PayPal resolution center to protect myself. I can stop it if I get the book. She said this on the 15th..

I've had a lot of "lost" items and returned empty envelopes on the last batch of auctions I did and I'm taking a lot of heat from buyers.

I can't help but be suspicious about something like that. What are the chances of have a "lot" of your items get lost or returned empty all at once?

When that happens here.... theres a whole bunch of members that light the torches and go on a witch hunt, because 80% of the time, the ending is not good. (see what this place has done to me?? LOL)

I am holding out on this one tho. She seems sincere and normally I can spot a scam a mile away.... and I hope that this isn't the one time I am wrong lol