PDA

View Full Version : What is going on with the gas prices?!?!

DezaRay24
03-09-2007, 11:17 AM
About a week ago gas was $2.07 for the cheapest then THE very next day it jumpped to $2.17. I filled up this morning for $2.17 and now its $2.27!
WTH is making it jump $0.20 in 2 weeks?

I wish my hourly wage could jump the same to be able to buy the gas!

PreciousDarlin
03-09-2007, 11:18 AM
gas here in Western KY has been $2.38 for almost a week now....I'm expecting another jump soon.

freeby4me
03-09-2007, 11:30 AM
Just our Government taking good care of us :rolleyes:

dlwt
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
well our gas never got that low it got to about 2.47 and now its like 2.67 so 20 cents here as well they say we will be a 3.00 before long YOUCH

mom2cvam
03-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Its been jumping up constantly here. As of this morning it was 2.59. I haven't gone anywhere this afternoon so who knows, it might be higher again. :mad:

socks1211
03-09-2007, 01:43 PM
2.59 across the street now

starduster31
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM
and what irks me is oil IS NOT going up.......WTH is up?

Storm Raven
03-09-2007, 02:34 PM
It jumped 20 cents here too :(

annie169
03-09-2007, 05:22 PM
My boss says since the Republicans lost the election a few days ago, they're raising gas prices. Gotta love our government, huh??

stresseater
03-09-2007, 06:24 PM
Well since the democrats are trying to reverse the oil subsidies that have been in place for a long time I am not surprised the price of oil has gone up. If it costs more to make then it cost more to buy. Not to mention we are soon to be in the summer driving season and gas always goes up then. Everyone likes to whine about how much money the oil companies make but nobody ever wants to put that into context. Here is a small bit of info about that.
"How do oil profits compare with those of other industries?Oil Profit Margins vs. Other Industries

The oil and gas industry is one of the world’s largest industries, and as a consequence its profits are often greater than many other industries. However, merely comparing the size of profits among various industries doesn’t indicate how profitable a particular industry may be. A more useful tool for comparison is profit margin (calculated by dividing net income by total sales). When this measure is applied, the profitability of the oil and gas industry frequently falls below that of other major industries.

As indicated in the graphic, the profit margin of U.S. oil and gas companies was slightly above that of all industry in the third quarter of 2006. However, the industry's profitability remained below the profit margins of other industries such as pharmaceuticals, electrical equipment and computers. "
http://www.conocophillips.com/NR/rdonlyres/D6FBF1A1-06A3-4EB9-8E37-5CFA495A32EF/0/ProfitsOilVsOtherIndust3rdQ2006.gif
:D

freeby4me
03-10-2007, 06:13 AM
People who "whine" about the oil companies profits are the same ones who complain about the pharmaceuticals....PEOPLE WHO CANT AFFORD IT! Why should either one of those company's be allowed to have that kind of profit by taking if from small people?? Its like people "Whining" about raising the minimum wage....Yea Gosh forbid people should actually be able to AFFORD to drive to work at their minimum wage job :rolleyes: the only companies who hurt with the Min. wage increase ARE THE ONES WHO PAY MINIMUM WAGE! Im not even going to get into the other things because Computers are MAINLY a luxury, not everyone NEEDS a computer to survive like heart patients with medicine or trucks need gas...Sorry its so long :o

Surfergal
03-10-2007, 07:14 AM
find the lowest price near you:

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

around me, prices are usually lowest on Wednesday and late night early mornings (Mondays everyone needs to fill up to go to work after weekend trips and errands, Friday, everyone fills up before weekend getaways etc). I get annoyed because I see a good price posted at noon, and by the time I get off work it has gone up. So watch prices in off hours if you can get there, not in rush hour.

TV news said it's because the warmer the weather yhe more the demand (the more we drive), plus spring is usually time when refineries close for annual maintanence causing less to be available.

whatever
03-10-2007, 02:45 PM
On our local news the other night they said something about OPEC (the largest Oil producer for those who may not know) has cut way back on production. thus the raise in fuel prices. I think its a bunch of sH*t!
I think the president needs to step in and do something when even the
treasurer's are saying we heading back into a recession. :rolleyes:
Just my opinion.......................

stresseater
03-10-2007, 03:09 PM
People who "whine" about the oil companies profits are the same ones who complain about the pharmaceuticals....PEOPLE WHO CANT AFFORD IT! Why should either one of those company's be allowed to have that kind of profit by taking if from small people?? Its like people "Whining" about raising the minimum wage....Yea Gosh forbid people should actually be able to AFFORD to drive to work at their minimum wage job :rolleyes: the only companies who hurt with the Min. wage increase ARE THE ONES WHO PAY MINIMUM WAGE! Im not even going to get into the other things because Computers are MAINLY a luxury, not everyone NEEDS a computer to survive like heart patients with medicine or trucks need gas...Sorry its so long :o

I get what you are saying because my DH makes 7.50 an hour and we are raising a family of 4. However you don't hear people whining about coke raising their prices or many of the other corporations who make a MUCH LARGER profit margin than the oil companies do. As for raising min wage, if wages go up so do prices , simple economics. Saying the only companies hurt by increases in min. wage are the ones paying it is also not right. Min. wages are to be starting /training wages and if I have been somewhere for a while and have been accruing raises, then the govt. raises the min. wage you can bet you butt the companies will have to either raise everyone else by the same amount or they will have to lay out the cost to train a whole new crop of employees. I wouldn't continue to work for a company who hires people in at more than the seasoned workers. Would you? I'm not really sure where you are going with the last sentence so I'll just leave it at that, for now. ;) :D

killbarney
03-10-2007, 08:10 PM
That may be because cokes and tobacco and computers, etc are luxuries when compared with gasoline. You MUST HAVE gasoline if you drive to work(as most all people do), but you dont' have to have cokes or smokes to work or even live(actually you are healthier without them lol).

Complaining about gasoline costs skyrocketing is completely understandable-your car won't run without it. And for most people, no gas=no car=no work.

However you don't hear people whining about coke raising their prices or many of the other corporations who make a MUCH LARGER profit margin than the oil companies do. ;) :D

Jevonna
03-10-2007, 08:34 PM
2.55 today in Pa.:eek:

stresseater
03-10-2007, 09:10 PM
That may be because cokes and tobacco and computers, etc are luxuries when compared with gasoline. You MUST HAVE gasoline if you drive to work(as most all people do), but you dont' have to have cokes or smokes to work or even live(actually you are healthier without them lol).

Complaining about gasoline costs skyrocketing is completely understandable-your car won't run without it. And for most people, no gas=no car=no work.
Ok then how about food, that's a necessity isn't it. http://www.qando.net/details.aspx?Entry=3833

Tax those "extreme, obscene profits" echoes Senator Carl Levin (D-Greedy).

Therefore, since asking $3/gallon and making profits of 10%+/year is just unconscionable, I expect prompt Congressional action to remove taxpayer subsidies and impose windfall profits taxes on Kraft Foods.

With milk going for $3.19/gal — even more than gasoline! — and the dairy products in which Kraft Foods traffics generally going for even more, Kraft Foods is making a profit margin of 12.38%. That, by the way, is almost 2 percentage points higher than Exxon-Mobil's "extreme, obscene profits" profit margin.
http://www.theonlineinvestor.com/margin_topten.phtml

Updated 1/9/06

INDUSTRY: Food
Company Name Symbol Net Profit Margin

Campbell Soup Co. CPB 9.85%

AFC Enterprises, Inc. AFCE 9.48

Kellogg Co. K 9.46

Kraft Foods Inc. KFT 9.27

General Mills, Inc. GIS 8.75

H.J. Heinz Co. HNZ 5.92

Archer Daniels Midland Co. ADM 4.09

ConAgra Foods, Inc. CAG 3.90

Sara Lee Corp. SLE 3.50

Looks like at least the top 5 are about the same profit margin as gas and oil so I guess it's not unreasonable for oil to make a profit. If you ask me food is more of a necessity than gas because a lot of people live in cities with mass transit of some sort(yes I know not all) and those people still do have to eat.
http://www.investor.reuters.com/business/BusRankingsCompanies.aspx?ord=desc&target=%2Fbusiness%2Fbussecindustry%2Fbussecindfak e%2Fbusrankcomp&industry=FODMFG&rankcategory=5&orderby=4
Here's a link to another chart of profits and there are even more food companies making money off the little guy. Some as high as 24%. Where's the congressional hearings when you really need them. :D ;)

lucim
03-10-2007, 10:19 PM
Santa Ana, California tonight--DL Gas Station--3.19-3.39
Shell Station--3.03-3.13-3.22:eek: :eek: :eek:

evrita
03-11-2007, 11:09 AM
Our is up to 2.57 2.67 and 2.77 in VT

killbarney
03-14-2007, 09:37 PM
But who says which brands you have to buy? There is a BIG difference in price between Campbells and generic. There isn't an uproar about food because there are literally THOUSANDS AND THOUSAND AND THOUSANDS MORE choices about what to buy. If pork chops are too expensive to eat this week you can eat ground beef and if that's too expensive then you can cook rice. You don't have that with gasoline.

There is NOT any difference between gas brands because it's so controlled by the government.

Ok then how about food, that's a necessity isn't it.

freebielover
03-15-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm up to $3.05 in my part of CT, I know I read an article about 2 months ago when gas was "low" that Opec wasn't making enough per barrel so they were cutting production to raise the prices. Not sure if that has anything to do with it. I saw on the news last week that some high school kid down here converted his car to run on water. How come some 18 year old can manage that but we can't :)

dv8grl
03-15-2007, 12:24 PM
I paid $2.29 today. The station was packed, everyone filling up b4 the weekend, because these prices will only get worse.