PDA

View Full Version : Irresponsible pet owners. Suggestions?

TxGreek
03-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Today a little white kitty walked into my house. I pet him and gave him some food (I feed another cat every now and then when he gets out from another neighbor's house).
My next door neighbor said he belongs to our other neighbor, but he threw him out because he does't want to keep up with him anymore.
The good neighbor can't keep him because her daughter has allergies and I can't keep him because I have allergies.
I'm so sad that the little guy is stuck outside tonight because some loser thought that cats are disposable. :mad: :mad:
I put a bed outside with blankets, but my heart is breaking for the little guy. Right now he's inside the blanket, so I know he'll be warm tonight, but what should I do with him after tonight?
Please don't give me a guilt trip as I'm already so upset that he has to stay outside. If my allergies weren't so severe, I'd take him in in a heart beat. :(
Any suggestions?

pepperpot
03-05-2007, 09:26 PM
Put him up for adoption on Craigslist.

freeby4me
03-06-2007, 05:14 AM
I say call your local humane society or call your local police (Local police number, not emergency) and report animal abuse. No guilt-tripping here, its not your animal to take care of :(

MistyWolf
03-06-2007, 05:20 AM
Call a local vet or two and explain to them the situation and see if they can maybe find the kitty a good home.

Freebeemom
03-06-2007, 05:42 AM
Do you have a humane society? You could take the kitty there...or, like the person mentione before, call a vet. Honestly, I would be leery about craigslist. There are people out there that will be really nice and sweet and end up taking the pet and selling it to companies for scientific research.

TxGreek
03-06-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to stay away from Craigslist or other free to good home ads because of Barry Herbeck. (http://www.sniksnak.com/herbeck.html)
I'm becoming really attached to the little guy and I need to know he'll be safe wherever he goes.

I've placed a call to a lady that I know that loves cats. She's going to call around and see if she can place him somewhere safe.
I think he'd be adopted at the humane society since he's just a kitty, but there are no no-kill places near me (that I know of). I'll use them as my last resort since they can't promise not to kill him.

I'm so mad at his owner. He is honestly the sweetest kitty I've ever been around and I don't understand how someone could just kick him out in the cold. :(

YankeeMary
03-06-2007, 12:25 PM
Before I would give away someone else's cat, I would talk to them first. I wouldn't go on the word of someone else. There could be a huge misunderstanding. Either way, good luck.

Prunella
03-06-2007, 12:29 PM
That's how our second kitty "Copy" came to live with us. My neighbor decided after she pooped on the floor the first time (no litter box) he didn't want her. We come home to find the poor thing shivering on our door step. My husband fell madly in love (his first pet). He got her in the divorce. lol She passed away last year at the age of 12.

TxGreek
03-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Before I would give away someone else's cat, I would talk to them first. I wouldn't go on the word of someone else. There could be a huge misunderstanding. Either way, good luck.

I completely agree. Me and 2 other neighbors have been looking for the cat's owner, but no one has seen him since he (supposedly) put the cat out.
I really hope he still wants him, but all of the cat's stuff (blanket, toy, litter box) are out on his patio now. He was an indoor cat, so I don't see why he'd put him out in the cold if he still wanted him. Also, he hasn't put food or water out even once sice he let the cat out.
I think he bought him as a gift for his daughter and is hoping the cat disappears before his daughter comes back. I could be wrong, but I don't think he wants him anymore.

Prunella, I'm sorry to hear about Copy (love the name, btw). At least he had a loving home after he was left out in the cold. :)

Prunella
03-06-2007, 04:09 PM
http://www.sniksnak.com/herbeck.html

HOLY SH*T!!! :eek: :mad: :( :eek: :mad: :( :eek: :mad: :(

Warning: The article in the link is VERY graphic.

irishchick
03-06-2007, 05:04 PM
i would call the animal society...
its too cold for a cat to be outside, and its obviously his.....with the stuff on his porch.
i would call and let it be the authorities problem

Shann
03-06-2007, 09:41 PM
oh how sad :( I'd report the butt munch and see if your friend who likes cats cannot find someone who will take good care of kitty. I don't recommend giving the kitty away for free or an animal shelter as like you said, it might be killed. What about putting it on a place like www.petfinder.com and asking an adoption fee and going to inspect where kitty will be living. That way since it won't be free it will discourage bad ppl from it. And then w/ the money donating it to an animal charity of your choice. GL.

TxGreek
03-06-2007, 11:17 PM
oh how sad :( I'd report the butt munch and see if your friend who likes cats cannot find someone who will take good care of kitty. I don't recommend giving the kitty away for free or an animal shelter as like you said, it might be killed. What about putting it on a place like www.petfinder.com and asking an adoption fee and going to inspect where kitty will be living. That way since it won't be free it will discourage bad ppl from it. And then w/ the money donating it to an animal charity of your choice. GL.

How funny.... I was thinking of doing exactly that (requiring a fee and donating it to a local shelter).
I want to keep him sooooo badly. I'm really falling for him. :( He's such a sweetheart and I'm still so amazed that someone could be so heartless. Not only did he throw out the cat, but I wonder how his daughter will feel when she's told her cat "ran away" (or whatever excuse he uses). :rolleyes:

PrincessArky
03-07-2007, 05:01 AM
Whether he threw the kitty out or it is a misunderstanding I just hope he is well taken care of in the future........if he did throw him out report him because I know here that is very against the law and maybe this way that person wont ever get another pet again, possibly saving a future pet's life

TxGreek
03-07-2007, 08:08 PM
UPDATE: I put a "FOUND" poster with his pic on doors in my area (making sure that the original owner would get one) and I received no responses.

I then listed him on craigslist for a small fee. (Low enough to be reasonable, but high enough to make him too expensive to be considered for snake food or lab testing). The fee will be donated to a shelter (probably petfinder or something similiar; someone who helped with the Hurricane Katrina animals).
I'm sure I sound paranoid, but I'm such an animal lover and I could never forgive myself if I knew he wasn't safe.
Anyway, I recieved several responses within the first few hours. I learned that he's part Siamese :p and I picked out who he'd be best with.
The lady sounds very sincere. She has two cats, two and ten and says her family is full of cat lovers. She said he'd be an indoor cat and would be spoiled like her other two cats.
I'm waiting on her to come pick him up (probably tomorrow) ad will let her know that if, for any reason, she changes her mind, I want him back.

I can't believe how much I love the little guy already. I hope this is the best thing for him.

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/6060/img3160lc0.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3160lc0.jpg)

http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/5939/img3167lv1.th.jpg (http://img98.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3167lv1.jpg)

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/2968/img3171kk5.th.jpg (http://img84.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img3171kk5.jpg)

pepperpot
03-07-2007, 08:27 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm going to stay away from Craigslist or other free to good home ads because of Barry Herbeck. (http://www.sniksnak.com/herbeck.html)
I'm becoming really attached to the little guy and I need to know he'll be safe wherever he goes.

OMG, I never heard about this!! :eek: I've gotten parakeets from Craigslist myself. That is just sick....he was up for parole in 2006, wonder what happened?

Glad to hear you found him a good home.

PrincessArky
03-07-2007, 08:47 PM
woohoo so glad you found him a good home :)

Shann
03-07-2007, 09:01 PM
oh how great. :D what a cutie he is!! i'm glad he will have a good owner and hopefully a much better life than what was suppose to be provided. What a sweet person you are. :) I'm glad there is a happy ending here.

YankeeMary
03-07-2007, 10:14 PM
If you hadn't found him a home, you could have waited till the daughter came to visit daddy and knock on the door asking if he had lost a kitty...lol...I am glad though that you were able to find him a good home.

TxGreek
03-07-2007, 10:41 PM
Thanks for all of the support! I'm so happy with how this turned out. The "angel" is coming to get him this weekend. She has a two year old cat that runs circles around her ten year old cat, so she is looking for a friend that can keep up. (This kitty definitely can!)

If you hadn't found him a home, you could have waited till the daughter came to visit daddy and knock on the door asking if he had lost a kitty...lol...I am glad though that you were able to find him a good home.

LOL We actually thought of doing this! We figured if he was forced to take the cat back, he would do something different/worse next time he tried to get rid of him, though.

YankeeMary
03-08-2007, 08:58 PM
[

LOL We actually thought of doing this! We figured if he was forced to take the cat back, he would do something different/worse next time he tried to get rid of him, though.[/QUOTE]

I imagine you are probably right. I am glad the new mommy is coming for her baby.

irishchick
03-09-2007, 09:40 AM
sounds like it is all working out just fine !!
he is adorable

migirlfriday
03-09-2007, 10:56 AM
Regarding Barry Herbeck, I did a prisoner search for Wisconsin. It says that he is out of custody. I also checked the sex offender registry, he is not registered.