PDA

View Full Version : ganglion cyst?

DaLilPeachy
02-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Has anyone ever had one of these removed? My daughter has one and it's enormous. I am thinking about not waiting it out but I am concerned about how painful it will be.

Thanks

MistyWolf
02-24-2007, 09:55 PM
Sorry, never heard of it.

I did have a bump on my leg that I had removed a few years back and it wasn't that bad .. took about 3 or 4 stitches and healed fine.

Lori63
02-25-2007, 04:12 AM
I know I had one removed from my wrist when I was a kid, and I don't remember it being traumatic. I think the only reason I remember it at all is because of what it's called-thought it was a weird name.

MizzouLady
02-25-2007, 07:29 AM
I had one removed from the back of my hand back in the 80's. Glad I did, because it was very painful every time I bumped it. I also had a bone spur removed from the same location. Didn't have too much pain, and was able to go back to work in about a week.

lisarae
02-25-2007, 07:43 AM
My husband had one a few years ago, but he just left it alone and it went away. But I dont think it was very bothersome. I think he said it was a bit sore when he put his hand in his pocket.

What does the doctor recommend?

irishluck
02-25-2007, 03:05 PM
I had one many years ago. The Drs. drew out the fluid twice but it kept returning. They then opted to do surgery, but it was gone the morning the surgery was schedule. No kidding. So, they cast my arm for several weeks, must have done the trick it never returned.

Starr_79
02-25-2007, 06:20 PM
I have one on each wrist that can get very painful. My doctor says the likelyhood of them returning after you have them drained is very high, so he only does that as a last resort. What I do, is if one of them is hurtig alot, i wear a brace on that wrist for a few days, and it works wonders. :)

cpbaby
02-25-2007, 09:10 PM
Around here they call them "Bible knots" and the idea is that you lay your hand down on a table and let someone HIT THE CYST WITH THE HUGE FAMILY BIBLE so it will burst. I dont actually know anyone who will admit to letting someone do that to then, though, lol.

teenies*mom
02-26-2007, 10:32 AM
Around here they call them "Bible knots" and the idea is that you lay your hand down on a table and let someone HIT THE CYST WITH THE HUGE FAMILY BIBLE so it will burst. I dont actually know anyone who will admit to letting someone do that to then, though, lol.

thats what a doctor did to mine back in the early 80's - and of course it grew back and I never went back - I still have it - its on the top of my right hand and I can move it around a little bit too - it doesn't bother me now so I just leave it -

Vixen
02-26-2007, 04:50 PM
A ganglion cyst is a cyst that grows on or near the nerve.. they can be very painful or not painful at all .. if it ruptures it will come back and if they drain it .. it will likely come back.. the only sure fire way to rid it is to have it removed they remove the sack and all.. it is a fairly simple surgery and some surgeons dont even put you all the way under with general anes. to do it they just sedate you and then do it or put a block in your arm so you cant feel your arm or wherever the cyst is.. Hope that helps

tracey74
02-26-2007, 06:25 PM
I also read that if you hit it with a book or anything like that can cause further damage. look it up.so I wouldnt attempt to hit it with anything just to be on the safe side

cpbaby
02-26-2007, 07:40 PM
I also read that if you hit it with a book or anything like that can cause further damage. look it up.so I wouldnt attempt to hit it with anything just to be on the safe side

I didnt say anyone SHOULD do it, just that it seems to be common practice around here........Scares the snot out of me, to be honest.

jeffstwin
02-26-2007, 09:12 PM

I had one when I was in the 7th grade. I wore a 'half cast' for about 9 weeks and it finally went away. The doctor said in the old days they used to smash them with a book. Never heard of it called a 'bible knot' but you are telling the truth along that line.:D

cpbaby
02-27-2007, 03:56 AM
I had one when I was in the 7th grade. I wore a 'half cast' for about 9 weeks and it finally went away. The doctor said in the old days they used to smash them with a book. Never heard of it called a 'bible knot' but you are telling the truth along that line.:D

I just wonder who was the first person to look at one and say HEY, LETS HIT IT WITH A BOOK AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS!