PDA

View Full Version : Ebay

Urban Cowgirl
02-17-2007, 11:38 AM
I wonder if I am crazy or what. I was going to bid on a 5lb itme on ebay, for which they are charging $19.99 shipping and hadling for priority mail, plus an additional $2 for insurance. My problem is that from their zip code to mine it would cost less than $10 to ship priority and insurance would only be $1.40. In the rules it says they can only charge what the insurance actually costs them. Plus I think the shipping charge is quite inflated. Should I report it? I have never done this before.

dv8grl
02-17-2007, 12:09 PM
There is no sense reporting them... Its your choice to bid or not, if you feel the shipping is too much, don't bid.

Goobie
02-17-2007, 12:44 PM
How much are you paying for the item? I always tell my buyers to figure in the cost of shipping as to what they are willing to bid.

People can charge whatever they want on shipping. It's up to you on whether or not you want to bid.

taylyn
02-17-2007, 01:25 PM
People can charge whatever they want on shipping. It's up to you on whether or not you want to bid

Yeah isn't that the Truth ....
Many times I pass up something I really want Because Of High Shipping.

i don't Care if its a little Inflated - But Sometimes its Ridiculous-

But thats the sellers Choice -

DBackFan
02-17-2007, 04:10 PM
After all my years of selling I always learn something new. I had NO idea that a seller could just CANCEL their auction because the bid wasn't as high as they wanted. I have the email from Ebay verifying this. As long as an auction is cancelled prior to it ending...what rubbish huh?

As for inflated shipping I hate it too but Ebay does allow to charge a handeling fee. I always look and see if it is still worth it to me and I have paid high shipping if its a deal still.

hblueeyes
02-17-2007, 06:14 PM
I would think they charge more to cover costs such as packaging supplies, paper etc. Those of you who have an ebay business or sell lots know that they are expenses to doing this. This is why they charge more than actual shipping. Some are grossly inflated but others make it fairer by only charging a few extra dollars. Plus gas is expensive and some people must drive greater distances to their post office.

me:p

Urban Cowgirl
02-19-2007, 07:57 AM
I don't mind paying extra for the handling, but sometimes its just ridiculous. But they are not allowed to charge more than what the insurance actually costs, that is against the rules.

TxGreek
02-19-2007, 10:04 AM
I'm surprised that no one has suggested that you report the person. I understand the POV that if the shipping is too high, don't bid. I also understand that shipping should be figured into the cost.
BUT inflating insurance is definitely against the rules and, if you have a problem with the transaction, many sellers will refuse to refund the shipping cost.
So if you pay more for shipping just because you're happy with the overall cost, you could get screwed in the end when they only refund the purchase price minus $20.

Also, DOUBLE the cost for handling?? Priority boxes are free at USPS and pick up is free, also. Her time alone (handling) is not worth the same amount as shipping.

moe265
02-19-2007, 05:45 PM
That's like the beautiful formal/prom dresses that are custom made for you in China and Hong Kong. The price for the dress is like $17.00 and the shipping cost is anywhere from 124.00 - 154.00. What a crock. Yes some dresses are heavy but I doubt the cost is true. We have shipped several items overseas and the shipping was no where near that and some of them were pretty large. Oh well I guess some people think it worth it.. not me.

Taterbo
02-19-2007, 05:52 PM
If I think the shipping costs are excessive I have in the past written to the seller prior to bidding to question if the cost is correct..I have had a few agree to lower the costs once they realize people are not bidding..Others have written back wanting to know if I would have bid more if the shipping was lower..which in most cases I would have..I always figure the cost of shipping as part of the price of the item. Also how badly I want the item.