PDA

View Full Version : Furnance went out

hblueeyes
02-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Our furnance went out yesterday. It is 3 degrees outside and my feet feel like ice cubes. I am hoping it is only the glow bar that went out since that is an easy fix and under $40. but something tells me it may be more than that since the glow bar glowed but the furnance never wooshed. Waiting for hubby to get back and put in the new one.

We had beautiful, spring-like weather until last week when temps dipped to below freezing and the windchill factor made it worse. We finally got some significant amounts of snow yesterday and of course, the furnance goes out.

Wish me luck and warmth too.

me:p

MistyWolf
02-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Stay warm and I hope it's an easy fix for you.

freeby4me
02-07-2007, 08:53 AM
(((HUGS))) (and warm thoughts) Jeez I hate it when the furnace goes out like that. We had the same problem last year but I cant remember what it turned out to be but it was an easy fix (cheap) but the problem can occur every couple of years (something burning out or something like that)

Rosina823
02-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Mine went out recentlly but i needed a new thermostat..easy fix.Hope you get it fixed and stay warm..Do you have a electric heater?

loveswolfs
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Ours did that last year..my room is all ways cold so didnt think any thing of it until i went down stairs...they say you should get a new furnance every 10 years..ya like i got money for that..plus they say you should change the filter every month so nothing burns out from all the dirt that gets in the filter. Puts lots of warm clothes on so you can stay warm.

hblueeyes
02-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Well it isn't the glow bar or the switch. It may be the gas regulator or another part. The gas regulator costs between 200-300 dollars. More expensive but at least hubby can do it. Thank goodness he is handy like that. Hopefully that will be the problem. If not or if it costs more than $400 to fix then I will just get a new furnance since this one is 16 years old. A new furnance will cost $900 plus an additional $100 to rent a truck to haul it home. Then hubby can put it in.

Thanks for the "warm" wishes.

Me:p

Blondiex46
02-07-2007, 09:37 AM
well good at least the hubby is handy

kyswpgrl
02-07-2007, 08:08 PM
All I have to say is wow! Furnaces and repairs are really cheap in your area! LOL Not that a few hundred dollars is "cheap", but I work for a heat/air company and we charge much more than that. A "glow bar" (which is I think an ignitor) would definitely cost more than $40. We charge $58 just to go to someone's house and that doesn't include the repairs. I really hope your hubby is able to fix it for you guys!!!

kyswpgrl
02-07-2007, 08:10 PM
Ours did that last year..my room is all ways cold so didnt think any thing of it until i went down stairs...they say you should get a new furnance every 10 years..ya like i got money for that..plus they say you should change the filter every month so nothing burns out from all the dirt that gets in the filter. Puts lots of warm clothes on so you can stay warm.

You don't need to replace it every 10 years, but they do come out with "higher efficiency" units all of the time. Unfortunately, they also aren't made as well as they used to be and therefore don't last as long. So keep yours as long as you can! LOL Definitely change your filter every month, but if you're using a fiberglass one (the super cheap ones...usually blue)...you might as well not be putting anything in it. Those filters will stop up your coil and cause more damage to the unit. Spend the extra few dollars and buy the white pleated filters. They are better for your system and last about two months longer as well. :)

PrincessArky
02-07-2007, 09:13 PM
I sure hope it turns out to be cheap and simple fix please try to stay warm

Mine went out recentlly but i needed a new thermostat..easy fix.Hope you get it fixed and stay warm..Do you have a electric heater?

OMG the same thing happened to us last wkend thank god hubby decided to check the thermostat because the ppl that were to come out Friday Afternoon have still yet to show

hblueeyes
02-08-2007, 04:22 AM
WE HAVE HEAT. Hubby got it fixed last night around 6 pm. It was the ignightor system. The place he went said they had to order the part and it would be in by friday. He went somewhere else and they had it in stock. It cost $154.xx with tax after a discount. The owner recognized my hubby. My hubby put in his phone system like 20 years ago. It would have been aroun $200 without the discount.

Normal charges around here are 70-100 for coming to the house. Then they double the cost of the part. Luckily hubby can do these types of things.

Thank you all for your warm wishes.

Me

ppl that were to come out Friday Afternoon have still yet to show

I hate it when they do that.

PrincessArky
02-08-2007, 04:33 AM
I am so glad you guys got it fixed and that it didn't cost a fortune :)