PDA

View Full Version : This just really hurts my feelings

PrincessArky
02-05-2007, 05:13 AM
My oldest son will graduate from 6th grade in May and I want to get him his own pc for doing research and homework on for next year as his graduation gift. (Yes I will continue to monitor his online activities) My husband believes that I am just encouraging him to stay in doors and do nothing. I am only trying to give him better tools to work with so that he is as successful in jr high as he has been up until now. He has never had anything below a B on a report card and in fact all As this year. He wins several honors awards at the end of every year including citizenship award every year. Although he is ADHD and bounces off the walls constantly and drives us crazy from time to time he really is a good kid. My husband is so aganist the idea of the pc that he won't help me not one cent and is waiting for me to fail as I am raising the money all by myself since he won't help. I almost think that my husband is jealous because he wants a new pc for himself to burn dvds on which to me i so unimportant it isn't funny. It just really hurts my feelings that he feels the way that he does it is bad enough to have a bio dad that couldn't careless now it almost seems like his step dad is getting the same :(

freeby4me
02-05-2007, 05:17 AM
I agree with you. Only one computer in the house could really put a cramp on your son's studying and getting his work done. Perhaps you could reason with your Husband and agree that if DS gets a new computer, perhaps you guys could upgrade yours to burn DVD's (Im sure a local computer guy could probably do it for pretty cheap if you're unsure how)
Good luck with getting DS a computer. Dont give up, Its a wonderful idea!!

earnhardt1
02-05-2007, 05:23 AM
i think it is a great idea my son home schools so he has his own and u can block websites that they cant go to....

PrincessArky
02-05-2007, 05:25 AM
I agree with you. Only one computer in the house could really put a cramp on your son's studying and getting his work done. Perhaps you could reason with your Husband and agree that if DS gets a new computer, perhaps you guys could upgrade yours to burn DVD's (Im sure a local computer guy could probably do it for pretty cheap if you're unsure how)
Good luck with getting DS a computer. Dont give up, Its a wonderful idea!!

well thats the funny thing he already does it on my pc he just wants to upgrade the old pc so he can have a pc just for burning his silly movies lol said if I wanted to pay half of the upgrades then our son could use it too lol

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-05-2007, 05:27 AM
Why not get a new PC for hubby and son to share?

PrincessArky
02-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Why not get a new PC for hubby and son to share?

Because I want to give my son a gift for doing so well in school not hubby for being a brat lol

DAVESBABYDOLL
02-05-2007, 05:40 AM
That's an expensive gift for graduating 6th grade? I still think buy one for the both of them, I'm sure ds would like the DVD's dad burns on it :)

Lori63
02-05-2007, 05:46 AM
I think it's a bit much for a 6th grade gift, but I also think hubby is being a brat! Maybe upgrade yours, but then hubby will be on it burning when your son needs to use it.
I don't know-hope it all works out for you.

YankeeMary
02-05-2007, 05:47 AM
How do you feel buying a new one for the family and handing the old one down to DS, you could possibly even have it a bit upgraded. I know that in the 7th & 8th grade the computer is just basically used for research and typing up reports.
You have to try to remember also that men don't think like us women. I am sorry this has become an issue for you. HUGS!!!

Have you thought about going to a pawn shop or local computer store and buying a used computer?

PrincessArky
02-05-2007, 05:51 AM
That's an expensive gift for graduating 6th grade? I still think buy one for the both of them, I'm sure ds would like the DVD's dad burns on it :)

yep it is an expensive gift, I have no been able to give him much at all in his life yet and I just really wanna do something very nice for him :) Also I have 4 kids so this can be passed down for a while I hope :)

hotwheelstx
02-05-2007, 06:01 AM
Personally I don't see ANYTHING wrong in getting your son a computer of his own. If he has the grades, would use the computer as a tool I don't see anything wrong in it. I think for children age 10 and up it's a good investment, can be used to their advantage.

Why not buy your son a computer? Will he use it?, will it help w/homework?, will it help encourage him to learn?..........YES.

GO FOR IT. I think if that's what you want to buy for your son....go right ahead. I wouldn't worry about what dh thinks, really.

Dh and I don't have any children. However, we've bought a computer for our neices and nephews of their very own. They all use it as a learning tool when they're over here and I can tell you from experience they've learned a lot....their ABC's, 123's, colors, shape recognition.....all of them are under 5.

I think it's a great idea. :) :) :) :)

pepperpot
02-05-2007, 07:26 AM
Personally I don't see ANYTHING wrong in getting your son a computer of his own. If he has the grades, would use the computer as a tool I don't see anything wrong in it. I think for children age 10 and up it's a good investment, can be used to their advantage.

Why not buy your son a computer? Will he use it?, will it help w/homework?, will it help encourage him to learn?..........YES.

GO FOR IT. I think if that's what you want to buy for your son....go right ahead. I wouldn't worry about what dh thinks, really.

Dh and I don't have any children. However, we've bought a computer for our neices and nephews of their very own. They all use it as a learning tool when they're over here and I can tell you from experience they've learned a lot....their ABC's, 123's, colors, shape recognition.....all of them are under 5.

I think it's a great idea. :) :) :) :)

Agreed.

If feel bad that your hubby is being bratty {{hugs}}...good luck.

buttrfli
02-05-2007, 07:55 AM
I actually agree with everyone LOL

I do think a computer is an expensive gift, BUT I also think that if he's earned it, go for it! All of my kids have their own computers, but they can't access the net from them (they have to do that on my computer where I can see them) but I do have a bunch of educational software on all of them.

Sorry your DH is being selfish ... maybe he should make some brownie points with you and earn his own computer ;)

jonette5
02-05-2007, 09:17 AM
Well looks like I am in the minority here and may get bashed for this but.... I agree with your DH. A computer is a pretty expensive gift for a 6th grade graduation (I did not even know they had grad. for 6th grade). How would you top this when he graduates high school? Also the amount of time he would actually use it for school is very little. They really don't do much more than type up reports (been there with my kids). Also if you buy a PC it probably won't be the same as the ones at school since most schools have MAC's. My kids always had computer lab time in school to look up any info they needed for reports. Also, if I understand correctly, you already have 2 computers in the house (yours and hubby's) can neither of you afford to give up the time on it that he would need to do his homework? You say you would monitor him if he had his own, but how are you going to do that? Stand over him every minute he is on it? If you are doing that he might as well be using yours.
This is just my opinion, but I think you and hubby need to sit down and really talk about this first.

freeplease
02-05-2007, 09:33 AM
Your DD is starting junior high next year. My kids used their pc almost everynight starting then. Reports, term papers, english assignments, you name it. It's an invaluable research tool.

You can pick up a decent computer on sale. It may sound silly, but make a mom/son project out of it. Go pick up cans off the streets if you have to. Aluminum is always a good trade in. Not only are you cleaning up the environment, you're spending time together, out of the house, getting fresh air and exercise. You may be surprised at how quickly you can add up those cents per pound. By this spring, yu can have a decent account built up. Just don't let you know who know how much you have socked away.;)

PrincessArky
02-05-2007, 09:52 AM
jonette5 I so hope nobody bashes you for stating your opinion because we all have them and should voice them :) We do only have one working pc at the moment the other in storage is older than the dinos lol I do know the pcs at my son's school aren't macs so that is good but they don't have many especially for the jr high level so I worry about that.

Your DD is starting junior high next year. My kids used their pc almost everynight starting then. Reports, term papers, english assignments, you name it. It's an invaluable research tool.

You can pick up a decent computer on sale. It may sound silly, but make a mom/son project out of it. Go pick up cans off the streets if you have to. Aluminum is always a good trade in. Not only are you cleaning up the environment, you're spending time together, out of the house, getting fresh air and exercise. You may be surprised at how quickly you can add up those cents per pound. By this spring, yu can have a decent account built up. Just don't let you know who know how much you have socked away.;)

OMG you so read my mind.....we already save cans from family and friends and I told hubby if it is warm enough this next weekend I am hitting some of the back roads because I saw tons of cans on the side of the road when I took the kids to the dr last week.

Nanc952
02-05-2007, 10:11 AM
You can open a bank account for really a small amount and will teach your son saving, put your name on it with son.
Get him a computer, too bad for DH.
Hope DH is for life but your son is so he should come before hubby playing on computer. Sounds to me your son is being more of adult than hubby.

Jolie Rouge
02-05-2007, 10:14 AM
The Middle School here assumes every home has a PC with internet access. Homework assignments are given out via the school website - not a bad thing, but the teachers act offended if they don't have access. I have a PC but not a working printer. I have had three kinds of heck because my son ( 5th grade ) and daughter ( 3rd grade ) have both had reports and projects that required photos and print outs for a grade. The library here shuts down the PC's at 6:30, which is before DH gets home from work. Their POV is that EVERYTHING and EVERYONE is moving to a computer based culture - they need to know how to navigate to succede.

Could you compromise ? Get the second computer for the adults, give the kids controled access on "your" PC. Give them the older one but buy some new games & programs. Office Depot has a sale on a bunch of cool educational stuff ( $9.99 or $19.99 - buy one get one free )

BeanieLuvR
02-05-2007, 10:31 AM
I think you wanting to show your son how proud you are of him is great. :) It is true that schools assume every house has a computer. I feel so sorry for kids that don't. My son is in middle school and has to use the computer for homework and reports. We have 2 so he just uses mine or my husbands. He would like one in his room but there is no room for it. I hate to say it but it sounds like it might be a case of jealousy with your husband. If you are saving the money and going to pay for it then you do what you feel is right. You as his mom knows what is best for your son.

Heidi
02-05-2007, 10:36 AM
How do you feel buying a new one for the family and handing the old one down to DS, you could possibly even have it a bit upgraded.

I agree, buy the family a new computer and hand down the old one to your son with upgrades.

ahippiechic
02-05-2007, 12:11 PM
I think getting him his own PC is a good idea. And tell him 'congrats' on all the good work he's done. I'm sure he'll be using it a lot after starting jr. high, especially for doing research. There is a lot of free software to let you monitor and control his internet usage.

My DD is 5 and she has her own PC in her room. We have a lot of educational software and she has internet access, but only to certian sites. Everything else is blocked. She also has a printer, so she can print out her work from the games and software.

Kyla Kym
02-05-2007, 01:48 PM
I don't have time to read all this thread, so you might have already had this suggestion, or answered the question. But I was just wondering if you have thought about paying one out? I just recently bought a Dell refurbished laptop at the Dell online outlet. It only cost me about $600.00 with all the bells and whistles. I have the laptop now and I'm paying it out. So maybe you can do that. You can apply for credit right on the website and they will let you know within a matter of minutes if you can buy it. If you can get the credit, there are coupons and such online for different things like free shipping and such. :)

mommyof1
02-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Your son will always be your son but your husband might not always be your husband. Especially if this is the way he resolves problems. He sounds like he is trying to control you with money. Good luck to you.

Pepsi4me
02-05-2007, 03:01 PM
A computer is a big present for 6th grade graduation. If you have 2 in the house already then the parents should let the school work come before parents using the computers.

Cant you get him another less expensive present? Or did you already tell him you would get him computer?

mom2cvam
02-05-2007, 03:30 PM
I am so glad that we decided to buy computers for our kids. We have four kids that all need to use the computer every night for homework. We didn't go all out and buy top of the line computers but made sure that they would work for what they were needed for. I know not everyone agrees with kids having their own computers but I am so glad ours have theirs.
I think its awesome that you are raising the money to get your son his own computer. My son is adhd, bipolar and ocd so when he gets good grades it means that he has worked really hard at it. I think that deserves a reward and I'm sure he will get lots of use out of the computer. I think hubby needs to stop being such a brat about it. If its no money out of his pocket then whats the big deal? JMO Good luck.

killbarney
02-05-2007, 03:32 PM
I was thinking the same thing.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Your son will always be your son but your husband might not always be your husband. Especially if this is the way he resolves problems. He sounds like he is trying to control you with money. Good luck to you.

skyrider
02-05-2007, 04:22 PM
if your having trouble affording one try www.freecycle.org I got a computer for my roomie that was a pent 4 and looked as though it had never been used, for free. And sorry I am on your side.

andreame70
02-05-2007, 05:55 PM
I think getting your son a computer of his own is a great investment in his future. As far as the hubby, tell him to quit being such a cry baby. He already has a computer that he can download and burn movies and such on, he just wants to be an jackass and see you fall on your face. He thinks that you can't raise the money for it on your own. With his attitude, I would do it just to spite him or die trying.

There are several things you can do to raise the money. Recycling cans is good, but it can take some time to get enough saved up. So, along with the cans, work on selling stuff you no longer need around the house on ebay. Heck, maybe even some stuff that belongs to the cry baby would fetch good money. Also, you might want to talk to friends and family members about what you are doing and ask them to save their cans, make donations toward the goal or even donate things that you could sell on ebay to reach your goal.

Buying on time is also an option, like someone else mentioned. I purchased my Dell four years ago and went through them for financing. In most cases, they do not offer good interest rates, so be aware of that, it will cost you a fortune in the end if you pay for it over the whole length of the loan. What I did was buy my computer in Sept. and made payments until February when I got my taxes back. When the refund came in, I paid it off. This four year old machine still works as great as it did the day I took it out of the box. I literally have had no trouble with it at all.

Just a few suggestions...

Hope that you reach your goal and reward your son for a job well done. He deserves it!

Andrea

Rosina823
02-05-2007, 06:23 PM
I dont see anything wrong with buying your son his own computer.People say why such an expensive gift? Like tv's ,video game/systems,or trampalines are not expensive.This is something he can use and learn off of it.
At this time of year (tax time) you really can find good prices on computers.If he is doing this good in school he deserves something nice.All kids need praise and encouragement.
As for your husband he will get over it.If not o well.Like others said your kid will always be your kid.

killbarney
02-05-2007, 08:45 PM
EXCELLENT point:D . Wonder how many say the computer is too expensive but have MORE $$$$ tied up in playstations/gameboys/wiis/etc. and ALL the games and accessories for their kiddos than it would cost to buy a computer?

Like tv's ,video game/systems,or trampalines are not expensive.

PrincessArky
02-05-2007, 09:18 PM
I just want to thank everyone for the honest replies I have been able to see things from every point of view

I am determined that I will get him the pc no matter what my hubby thinks about it :( I just hate being at odds with him on things especially big ones like this. My husband checked into upgrading the old one (the old one being a 7 yr old gateway) and said he he could do it for about 400 maybe a bit less. I just think that being about to get a good one at walmart or something for 500 would be a better way to go. My kids get "seconds" alot of the time and just once I want to be able to do something nice. He works hard at school, over coming adhd and a few other things. Every teacher to ever have him loves him as well as other parents. I just sort of want to do something to let him know that sometimes good things do happen to good people. He was nominated to the Students as Ambassador program this year and we really tried to sort out a way to make it possible but in the end no way to come up with thousands. It was painful watching that hope disappear from his eyes :( He deserves so much more but this is all that I am able to do for him. He isn't like alot of kids, he doesnt have alot of the "cool" stuff that they have and he hasn't complained once about not having things he would like to have....he isnt the typical brat that I see so often. I got lucky with my kids and I just want to find good ways to show them :)

DonnaWV
02-06-2007, 03:54 AM
I think getting him a computer is a great idea. Everyone needs to be praised for working hard at times. Tell DH to get over it. Good luck, you can do it, and think how proud your Son will be.

teenies*mom
02-06-2007, 04:19 AM
My dd is in Jr. High and we just got her her own laptop for Christmas - I am so glad we did - she loves it - I love having MY computer back too - LOL - but she uses it constantly for school work - and the only other thing she uses it for is to IM her friends - but I think its a great idea - I should have bought her a computer a looooooooooooong time ago -
Good luck - I hope you can get one for your son.

lassss
02-06-2007, 06:28 AM
go for it. Children today are learning about puters in kindergarden! My son had his first pc in 2nd or 3rd grade and he is very well rounded. He isn't constantly addicted to the computer. I think kids need these tools to survive in today's world. It will help him in school work, entertain him, and even help him learn electronics if he learns how to upgrade it.

pepperpot
02-06-2007, 06:53 AM
$400 to upgrade a 7yo computer, IMHO, isn't worth it. Go for a new one, it comes with the warranties and he deserves it ;)

freeby4me
02-06-2007, 07:01 AM
$400 to upgrade a 7yo computer, IMHO, isn't worth it. Go for a new one, it comes with the warranties and he deserves it ;)

I totally agree, You can get a brand new one for around that price! (a little more but not much) After you get your son a new computer then let DH talk about upgrading his LOL :p
Even though a computer is a very expensive gift it sounds like your son would very much appreciate it and take good care of it. In my opinion, that makes it totally worth it!

PrincessArky
02-06-2007, 07:01 AM

my thoughts exactly :)

I think hubby's biggest prob is he doesn't think children should have better than the parents!!! I am the complete opposite. He looked up one on line last week and said this is a good one for you and give son the old one.......if not he will have one better than you.....as if I cared lol I got this one on Black Friday 2005 and I am thrilled with it, works great and has ALL my bookmarks and stuff that I really really wouldn't want to redo

pepperpot
02-06-2007, 08:21 AM
We're not launching rockets here....lol Think about what you do on your computer and I'm sure the one you have suits you just fine.... Half the time we don't even know what all those bells and whistles are for and 3/4 of the time, they aren't needed....

PrincessArky
02-06-2007, 08:35 AM
We're not launching rockets here....lol Think about what you do on your computer and I'm sure the one you have suits you just fine.... Half the time we don't even know what all those bells and whistles are for and 3/4 of the time, they aren't needed....

yep I think I am gonna try for one of those "deals" they have at walmart for about 500 or so. My brother told me he would use his family discount card to save 10% so that should cover the taxes :) At the moment I have $90 on a walmart card and another $56 in checks to cash and put on there and still waiting on some more checks to come through :)

Buslady469
02-06-2007, 09:12 AM
IF DH wants to record movies, why not buy him a DVD Recorder...you can find them inexpensive. Tell him to stop being a baby...and he should want his children to have better than what he has.....I mean, I don't have children of my own, but I do have a step -daughter...who is a handful, and she gets better than what we had as kids....

PrincessArky
02-06-2007, 09:37 AM
IF DH wants to record movies, why not buy him a DVD Recorder...you can find them inexpensive.

LOL thats a story in itself

For Christmas this year I kept HINTING that I wanted a dvd recorder. One that has vcr/dvd recorder hooks up to the tv all that good stuff so that I can record my vhs tapes to dvd. I made sure that everyone knew I did NOT want the dvd burner for the computer........my hubby got me a dvd burner for the pc for Christmas and he got a subscription to netflix so he copies all the movies now

BeanieLuvR
02-06-2007, 09:40 AM
I had to get my daughter her own computer when she started college. It is way better than mine. The college told what it had to be loaded with. I don't care in the least bit that it is newer and nicer than mine. When you were telling what a good kid your son is and that he has done without it brought tears to my eyes. I think that he deserves a computer and I am hoping that you can find a way to get him one.

killbarney
02-06-2007, 10:09 AM
Bingo-we have a winner!!! I want my kids to have better than I do-for anything.

and he should want his children to have better than what he has.

gonnascream
02-06-2007, 12:48 PM
IF DH wants to record movies, why not buy him a DVD Recorder...you can find them inexpensive...

dvd recorders are good but:

alot of dvd recorders DO NOT have a DRM or CSS encryption removal software on them. So if you pop in a standard dvd and press record it will auto reject it because the dvd has that encryption embedded on the disk. So if he wanted to copy poisiden, it would be a no-go. the only thing it would be good for is copying tv episodes or movies without the css encryption

However if you put the dvd burner on a computer....you would first have to scramble the css encryption with a program like dvd shrink, copy it to your hard drive then burn the vob or ifo files to a dvd-rw with a program like nero.

voila ! you have your own copy.

freeplease
02-06-2007, 12:55 PM
Does your DH know that it's illegal to burn copywritten materials? That means all of those netflix movies. Might be some info you can use for blackmail later. lol;)

gonnascream
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM
Does your DH know that it's illegal to burn copywritten materials? That means all of those netflix movies. Might be some info you can use for blackmail later. lol;)

my instructions were for video you already owned that you wished to make a backup to ;)

but for WHATEVER his purpose is, Im just stating what a dvd recorders abilites are and are not.

PrincessArky
02-16-2007, 05:23 AM
woohoo I have $166 so far on a walmart card saved up :) and thanx guys for all the input it sure makes me feel better about my decision

irishchick
02-16-2007, 01:32 PM
i feel ya there girl.
having a stepfather for my 3 oldest kids..its tough.
im blessed to have him, but its not the same. although there dad is now in prison, so ...no options..lol

anyways, my son is also adhd and is in 6th grade. he can be such a stress factor..omg...but is doing well in school this year, im so happy bout that.
if you ever wanna talk, im here to listen. although i talk too!

good luck with your situation!

earnhardt1
02-16-2007, 05:42 PM
today i was at walmart and bought a new laptop with all the bells and whitles for 499.00!! i love it good luck

PrincessArky
02-16-2007, 09:37 PM
i feel ya there girl.
having a stepfather for my 3 oldest kids..its tough.
im blessed to have him, but its not the same. although there dad is now in prison, so ...no options..lol

anyways, my son is also adhd and is in 6th grade. he can be such a stress factor..omg...but is doing well in school this year, im so happy bout that.
if you ever wanna talk, im here to listen. although i talk too!

good luck with your situation!

sounds like we have ALOT in common and you are right it sure isnt the same. I am glad my kids have him but there is a difference in "mine" and "ours" :(

Pepsi4me
02-17-2007, 07:39 AM
sounds like we have ALOT in common and you are right it sure isnt the same. I am glad my kids have him but there is a difference in "mine" and "ours" :(

I dont understand how you could marry/be with someone who be that way & not accept your children as his. I hope your children dont realize that he feels this way.

PrincessArky
02-17-2007, 08:19 AM
I dont understand how you could marry/be with someone who be that way & not accept your children as his. I hope your children dont realize that he feels this way.

thanx for not judging me :rolleyes:

IT was NOTHING like that before we had children together. He was and is still better to them than their "real" dad which is far from perfect but better than nothing. In the beginning he put up with more than I would have been willing to do for someone else's kids. He does love the kids but he is way harder on them than I will ever be and yep it puts me in a bad spot but just to let you know he knows that if it ever comes down to a choice the kids will win every time and he can hit the street because nobody will ever come before them

Pepsi4me
02-17-2007, 10:10 AM
thanx for not judging me :rolleyes:

IT was NOTHING like that before we had children together. He was and is still better to them than their "real" dad which is far from perfect but better than nothing. In the beginning he put up with more than I would have been willing to do for someone else's kids. He does love the kids but he is way harder on them than I will ever be and yep it puts me in a bad spot but just to let you know he knows that if it ever comes down to a choice the kids will win every time and he can hit the street because nobody will ever come before them

I wasnt judging you.
Its good that he knows that you will not take it & will choose your kids over him. I know alot of women might not do that.

PrincessArky
02-18-2007, 06:38 AM
I am sorry for being ugly yesterday was just a really bad day although that isn't an excuse

I do know what you mean about women that pick men over their kids. I was friends with a girl from the age of 5 until 23 and it ended the day she walked out on her son for a man. I made the mistake of being friends with her again and she once again walked out on her 2nd son :(

Pepsi4me
02-18-2007, 03:36 PM
I am sorry for being ugly yesterday was just a really bad day although that isn't an excuse

I do know what you mean about women that pick men over their kids. I was friends with a girl from the age of 5 until 23 and it ended the day she walked out on her son for a man. I made the mistake of being friends with her again and she once again walked out on her 2nd son :(

No problem,we all have days like that.

PrincessArky
03-05-2007, 10:59 AM
so far I have over $400 saved up now looks like I will have enough in time for graduation :)

pepperpot
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM
so far I have over $400 saved up now looks like I will have enough in time for graduation :)

Yeah!!! Good for you! :)

earnhardt1
03-05-2007, 12:01 PM
check the laptops at walmart.. the price is perfect and they are wonderful.. i love mine

PrincessArky
03-05-2007, 12:32 PM
check the laptops at walmart.. the price is perfect and they are wonderful.. i love mine

I was looking this weekend and noticed that the laptops were cheaper than the desktops lol but wondering with the little ppl (ages 3 and 2) in the house whether it would be safe from getting knocked off :(

Kyla Kym
03-05-2007, 12:42 PM
I was looking this weekend and noticed that the laptops were cheaper than the desktops lol but wondering with the little ppl (ages 3 and 2) in the house whether it would be safe from getting knocked off :(

Good Point! and the screens are fragile on laptops too....so you would need to consider little fingers wanting to touch it. I don't think I would want to buy a laptop for a kid. It can be damaged to easily, and if you don't plan on letting him take it to school with him, then you are probably allot better off getting a desk top.

pepperpot
03-05-2007, 02:28 PM

There is chocolate on the mouse pad of my lap top....from....a 3yo...:p

:rolleyes:

Shann
03-05-2007, 02:30 PM
that's really great, sounds like your computer fund is coming along really well. I missed this post the first time it came around but think it's a great idea to get him a computer. I know personally I didn't have one growing up and although I've been out of school for quite a few years having a computer at home would have come in really handy through jr high and high school especially since when you get there (at least for me) EVERY report had to be typed for English class. Not having a computer and significant lab time in class can really hinder the ability to get that report typed up. It sucks that your DH doesn't see eye to eye but you obviously know this is the best thing for your son and he can only excel with the wonderful tools you will be providing him. :)

ahippiechic
03-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Congrats on having so much saved for it! :D

YNKYH8R
03-05-2007, 04:31 PM
EXCELLENT point:D . Wonder how many say the computer is too expensive but have MORE $$$$ tied up in playstations/gameboys/wiis/etc. and ALL the games and accessories for their kiddos than it would cost to buy a computer?Whoa whoa whoa not so fast. I'm saving up for a laptop and it's gonna run me 1,500 to 2,000$. A LOT MORE than any games system you've mentioned.

PrincessArky
03-05-2007, 05:26 PM
I just wanted to thank everyone for all the great input and the support....I can't wait to see his face when he gets it :)

meep_meep
03-06-2007, 12:59 PM
Whoa whoa whoa not so fast. I'm saving up for a laptop and it's gonna run me 1,500 to 2,000$. A LOT MORE than any games system you've mentioned.

whoa. For that kind of money you could home build a ~$3,000 retail desktop machine. I thought I'd never do it, but I've done three now-- none are mine-- and will be doing mine as soon as I get a job. I've got everything picked out, just need the finances to be able to afford something on the level that I want.

Does it have to be a laptop?

speedygirl
03-06-2007, 11:25 PM
You can get a laptop for a lot lower then $1500-2000. Especially if it's for a child of that age. My kids have them and they don't need all the bells and whistles and manage to get all they need out of their laptops.

YNKYH8R
03-07-2007, 03:58 AM
You can get a laptop for a lot lower then $1500-2000. Especially if it's for a child of that age. My kids have them and they don't need all the bells and whistles and manage to get all they need out of their laptops.I know you can, I was just pointing out that not all computers are cheap; even compared to a lot of game systems.

YNKYH8R
03-07-2007, 04:02 AM
whoa. For that kind of money you could home build a ~$3,000 retail desktop machine. I thought I'd never do it, but I've done three now-- none are mine-- and will be doing mine as soon as I get a job. I've got everything picked out, just need the finances to be able to afford something on the level that I want.

Does it have to be a laptop?It doesn't HAVE to be a laptop but we don't have space in the house for more than this PC. The laptop will allow me to sit on the couch and play or go upstairs or go wherever. I can even take it to my friends house to play. THis is the one I'm looking at.
http://alienware.com/product_detail_pages/Aurora_m9700/aurora-m_overview.aspx?SysCode=PC-LT-AURORA-M-9700&SubCode=SKU-DEFAULT
I spoke with a person who builds custom computers...but he won't do laptops.
Although I will add that I'm finally getting my Gamecube...but it's only going to be $100. :)

PrincessArky
03-07-2007, 04:57 AM
I know you can, I was just pointing out that not all computers are cheap; even compared to a lot of game systems.

yep there are all prices and I think you should get whichever you want and can afford.........I am just going simple and cheap basically whatever one I can find at walmart that I can afford by graduation because I know that once I get it home and out of the box there will be many more on the market already better than that one lol

PrincessArky
07-18-2007, 05:37 AM
This is the one that I meant to update lol My son graduation with great honors from the 6th grade and got his pc :)

mosdata1
07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Congrats to your son & I'm happy you were able to ge the pc.

Jackie_Blu
07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
Congratulations to your son on his graduation!! I'll bet he is thrilled with his new computer......and of course his wonderful Mom :)

freebielover
07-19-2007, 01:24 AM
Awesome! I'm glad he got it, good for you for saving up for it. Was he excited?

elervin1
07-19-2007, 05:04 AM
My daughter has her own computer and it comes in handy whenever we are all on the computer at the same time....lol....
I think its a great idea because my daughter does alot of her homework on the computer also and I moniter her access also.

Kelsey1224
07-19-2007, 09:39 AM
Congratulations to his son and to you for raising such a great boy!!!

What was the expression on his face when he got it??? Do you have pictures?

PrincessArky
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
Congratulations to his son and to you for raising such a great boy!!!

What was the expression on his face when he got it??? Do you have pictures?

he WAS thrilled.......now I just gotta get it hooked into the internet so he can do some research for school this fall lol Now when he get the internet then I should take some pics huh? lol

Debbie
07-19-2007, 11:26 AM
I say go ahead and get it for your son,he deserves it for doing well
in school.as for your husband he needs to grow up,he should be more
understanding and support your decisions.

tough guy
07-19-2007, 02:10 PM

Walmarts around here have been selling laptops for back to school for 398.00 and desktops for 498.00..now is a good time to buy one!

DestinysGrandma
07-19-2007, 02:59 PM
I think it is great that you are getting him a pc. You could limit his usage so he won't spend all his time on it. My granddaughters have been using mine since they were 3 and 5 and they are very advanced in school. One likes to play outside or read and the other would rather read with a second choice to watch movies. Have you tried tiger direct for an affordable pc? They had a pc offer in their email that i wished we could have gotten. It was $299.00.

I guess i didn't read far enough. Glad you got him one!

PrincessArky
07-19-2007, 07:02 PM
I think it is great that you are getting him a pc. You could limit his usage so he won't spend all his time on it. My granddaughters have been using mine since they were 3 and 5 and they are very advanced in school. One likes to play outside or read and the other would rather read with a second choice to watch movies. Have you tried tiger direct for an affordable pc? They had a pc offer in their email that i wished we could have gotten. It was $299.00.

I guess i didn't read far enough. Glad you got him one!

wow 299 would have been an awesome deal we ended up with the emachines thing from walmart cost me 500 and my brother used his family discount so I saved the 50 in taxes :) I had to put a bit of money each week on a walmart card so that I knew I could get it in time :)