PDA

View Full Version : DS home *sick*?

freeby4me
01-31-2007, 08:24 AM
OK I seem to have a problem. I got a phone call from the school at about 9:30 saying my son has a real tummy ache (He was curled up in his chair) and can I please come get him. Sure, no problem. I walk down to get him and he's sitting there all bundled up ready to go so I sign him out. No problems with that or the school. We're walking home and I ask him why is your tummy aching and he says he ate the cinnamon roll too fast this morning for breakfast so he wants to come home and have his Macaroni and tomatoes. He's pretty much acting fine, just talking about coming home and eating and playing his computer games. I DONT THINK SO! I explain to him that "Sick boys and girls come home and go to bed because they dont feel good" so of course he was not happy with that idea and was crying a little bit but too bad. We get home and I make him take his clothes off and get his nitetime undies on and get into bed. He has with him his teddy bears (Which he's playing fighter pilot with or something :rolleyes: ) so im not sure what exactly I should do here. He's 6 years old. I'm going to make him stay in bed all day (He can get up when its lunch time then he's going back to bed) But what do I do from now on? How can I make him not try and do this again? I should say that I decided on the way home that he's going to have breakfast at home from now on. (Usually they just dont serve what he wants so this way I can make sure he eats in a timely manner) (They will let the kids take breakfast to the classroom if they havent finished it though) I dunno, Part of me wanted to walk his butt right back to the school but I need to teach him that going home is only for when he is sick but I dont want him to think I dont believe him (I think he did have a small tummy ache but then it went away, like he ate too fast so once it digested a little bit, you know)
OK. SO....I am looking for some help and ideas on what to do so please, post some responses!
*P.S.....I should add that last year at the beginning of the year he woke up one day "not feeling well" (I thought he was messing around) and I told him that he was gonna go to school and he wasnt gonna mess around. Well I got a phone call at about 10:30 saying he wasnt feeling well and he was afraid he'd get in trouble for going home so I do have that against me)

freeby4me
01-31-2007, 08:40 AM
OK I am now taking him back to school and I will either be talking with the principle or the "school success monitor" (I believe thats her titile) But please, I need some opinions!

lisarae
01-31-2007, 09:18 AM
I agree, take him back to school. Especially if you live close. You are right he needs to know that you are kidding when you say you are going to take him back. My son done that before, and if I lived closer, ( I live 20 minutes from school) we would have went right back. But I made him stay in bed the rest of the day.

LuvBigRip
01-31-2007, 09:20 AM
I agree that kids need to know that sick means sick, but why is he "playing sick"? Is there an underlying problem at school. Maybe when he gets home, you can ask him why he wanted to leave school.

tngirl
01-31-2007, 09:25 AM
This is one of those tricky ones. I think taking him back to school is a good idea. I also had a simliar experience with my daughter. She got in the habit of being "sick" and then when I let her stay home she was just fine. One morning she comes into the room saying she is sick and I told her to go ahead and get ready for school, she puked all over me and the bed...lol. I kind of felt bad, but I used it in my favor. I told her that I would have believed her immediately if she hadn't been playing "sick" so much. She was probably around 8 or 9 at the time. But she learned the lesson of the boy crying wolf.

Willow
01-31-2007, 09:31 AM
Since he was talking about playing computer games he probably thought he would have more fun at home. He probably won't try that again any time soon. LOL

MistyWolf
01-31-2007, 09:34 AM
You know it must be something going around this morning. I got the same phone call about my oldest DD today. Now she did tell me before she went to school that she threw up .. but, I never heard, nor the toilet flush, and didn't see it (I want to see it if you threw up). She said her stomach hurt and I told her it's probably cause you took Motrin on an empty stomach (she takes Motrin for her knee). The school does give breakfast in the AM and my 2 were running late this morning and missed it, but she did take crackers with her.

I told the receptionist that I felt she should stay at school cause she has no fever and she asked Erin what she wanted. Now what do you think she wants? So I picked her up and told her no TV .. she is in her bed .. actually sleeping, and she did get enough sleep last night. I told her the only thing she could do is read her book.

I will give her the benefit of the doubt, but she isn't going to get off easy through-out the day .. sick people stay in bed!

freeplease
01-31-2007, 09:37 AM
I can see how a cinnamon roll might give him a tummay ache, but if he's well enough to order lunch on the way home, I think he'll survive a couple hours of school.

My DD can't eat sweet things for breakfast. I make her muffins to have for her meal. It's easy to pop them into the microwave to make them nice and warm. Twenty seconds later, she's got her breakfast.

hblueeyes
01-31-2007, 09:49 AM
Maybe something else is going on. Maybe there is a bully or someone making fun of hi,m and that can make him sick anticipating what will happen at recess or gym. Talk to him and see what is going on.

me:p

freeby4me
01-31-2007, 10:01 AM
Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies and your stories! That helps alot! Yes, It turns out there was a reason for it. He didnt do his morning work and therefor he wouldnt be allowed out for recess, he needed to go upstairs to "homework zone" and I dont think he cared for that much LOL
I went and talked to the Principle and she agreed that my choice was the right one to make. They have been acedemically watching him because he has behavior problems (VERY hyperactive) but he's smart as a whip. So I shall talk with his teacher today after school along with the "teacher aide" (She's real nice) And we'll figure out how to make sure this doesnt happen again!
Thank you again, all of you!! I really do appreciate it!

MistyWolf
01-31-2007, 10:10 AM
Glad you figured it out and that all goes well.

tljohn123
01-31-2007, 11:16 AM
Our boys just went thru this last week...but they really WERE sick. Youngest had a 103 fever and a nasty nasty cold. He was home all week pretty much. Then on Friday...."i don't think I can go into school today' He didn't want to do his homework that's what the problem was lol. The middle one was home for two days...same problem. But these boys LOVE school and usually don't have a probem....cept for homework lol.

buttrfli
01-31-2007, 12:10 PM
Our kids don't get sent home unless they have a fever, bleeding, on fire or vomiting.

myashley89
01-31-2007, 01:02 PM
Our kids don't get sent home unless they have a fever, bleeding, on fire or vomiting.

I was just gonna say the same thing, unless you threw up, broke something, or are bleeding or a fever, they won't call me to come get them.

buttrfli
01-31-2007, 01:06 PM
It helps that I work at my kids' school, but our nurse is great. She knows what health probs my kids have had and I let her know if something is going on with them, so that she can determine if they are really not feeling well or not.

swoose
01-31-2007, 02:45 PM
my middle son was home "sick" one day and was told he was going to have to stay in bed all day, he was not happy. His little brother looked straight at him and said , "I'm sorry, but that's the life of being sick." (He'd had to spend some quality time at home before. lol)

Tasha405
01-31-2007, 04:11 PM
I think I'm gonna have to go have a talk with Chris' school because the dang kid calls home all the time! At least a few days a week I gets calls from him saying he's sick or he has a headache or his teacher said he looked sick and blah blah blah. If he's sick, then fine, call me and I'll come get him but this every few days is for the birds! He's 15, so surely they could tell if he's really sick or just trying to get out of something. So far he's never really been sick, just didn't do some work he was supposed to and wanted to try and get home before that class. He thinks he's slick. lol

He also knows that if I come and get him, he will also spend the day in bed, without tv, games and all that good stuff.

Good for you for taking him back to school and showing him that you werent gonna fall for his little trick! Good luck with everything. :)

stresseater
01-31-2007, 04:14 PM
I've always found that a little talk about the"shot" the doctor is going to give them to help them get better usually weeds out a lot of the faking. ;) :D

crystalbug
02-01-2007, 12:23 AM
My daughter gets lazy and sometimes tries to cry sick when she isnt, but my father has the perfect remedy for teens that skip school. One of my parents neighbors boys and his two friends decided to skip school one day and they came to my parents house so My dad got out his Bible and read to them for about 6 hours with only bathroom breaks and lunch otherwise he would tell them to pay attention then he would quiz them on what he read. Those boys learned they werent getting any free rides at my parents house for skipping school, broke those boys good.

Blondiex46
02-01-2007, 10:12 AM
Well I let my kids stay home one time a year just because. I know that I needed mental health days from work and I give my kids a break every year. Also, when kids play sick usually there is a reason, homework not done, bullying, etc.

My son goes to the nurses office every day or did...the reason...he has ADHD and needed a break from the block scheduling which is 80 minutes. Sometimes the reasons aren't as simple as you think.