PDA

View Full Version : Is CAIR Going To Tell Us What We Can Watch On TV?

tngirl
01-19-2007, 06:31 AM
USA : CAIR CONCERNED ABOUT CIVIL LIBERTIES IMPACT OF FOX'S '24'

Friday January 19 2007 15:41:30 PM BDT

CAIR

(WASHINGTON, D.C., 1/18/07) - A prominent national Islamic civil rights and advocacy group today expressed concern that the new story line on Fox's "24" terror drama may have a negative impact on the national debate over civil liberties.

The Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) said the explosion of a nuclear device near Los Angeles at the end of the most recent episode of "24" may also serve to increase anti-Muslim prejudice in American society.

SEE: Muslims Unhappy Over `24' Portrayal (AP)

In a statement, the Washington-based group said:

"The raw emotional impact of fictional scenes that include widespread death and destruction in America may adversely affect the public's attitude toward civil liberties, religious freedom and interfaith relations. The program's repeated association of acts of terrorism with Islam will only serve to increase anti-Muslim prejudice in our society.

"We have communicated the American Muslim community's concerns about this season's story line to Fox officials and will work with the network to help viewers distinguish between televised fiction and actual world events."

In response to similar concerns about a "24" story line two years ago, Fox aired a public service announcement that featured Kiefer Sutherland urging viewers to avoid stereotyping Muslims.

SEE: Fox Airs '24' Disclaimer (CAIR)

CAIR, America's largest Islamic civil liberties group, has 32 offices and chapters nationwide and in Canada. Its mission is to enhance the understanding of Islam, encourage dialogue, protect civil liberties, empower American Muslims, and build coalitions that promote justice and mutual understanding.

- END -
http://www.bangladesh-web.com/news/view.php?hidDate=2007-01-19&hidType=INT&hidRecord=0000000000000000147064

So, how far are these people going to take things? :mad: What else are they going to attempt to take from us? Does 24 hit too close to home and is making them nervous?

freeby4me
01-19-2007, 06:49 AM
:mad: I totally dont understand what that whole post has anything to do with these people saying anyone shouldnt watch that TV show. All I see is their concern with this show making Americans Stereotype Muslims which is exactly what is going to happen. We have Muslim Americans that live right here in our very own communities who are far from terrorists but when we have shows like that it makes us "distrust" anyone from that nationality. Look at older people with Russians or Germans even. I could go on and on which would lead to more and more points and im just sick of it....Forgive me for just blah blahhing but jeez o petes :mad:

tngirl
01-19-2007, 07:00 AM
It's a freaking tv show for God's sake! Considering that the most prevelant terrorists in the world are of Mid Eastern decent and they are the ones that openinly say they want to take us out, it is only logical that they would be the "example" of a government agency working to take them out.

Oh, btw, take a little time to find out who CAIR is, then you might understand this post a bit better.

freeby4me
01-19-2007, 07:55 AM
Yea I should Im sorry...I was just a little upset. I usually write the post out then delete it LOL Its just little stuff like a TV show is all it takes to make some people dislike others for their religious preference or even the color of their skin.

YNKYH8R
01-19-2007, 10:01 AM
I've never seen 24.

tngirl
01-19-2007, 10:03 AM
I've never seen 24.

I don't watch it either. I think I have seen one episode but that was because my brother was here and wanted to watch it.

tngirl
01-19-2007, 10:06 AM
Yea I should Im sorry...I was just a little upset. I usually write the post out then delete it LOL Its just little stuff like a TV show is all it takes to make some people dislike others for their religious preference or even the color of their skin.

I reread my post and it came across a bit abrupt. I did not mean for it to do that or to appear that my comments were actually aimed at you in particular. And the last part should have been on a more "encouraging" tone for FYI reasons. Me and Jolie both have posted about CAIR in previous threads.

freeby4me
01-19-2007, 12:35 PM
Thank you very much for the kind reply! It sounds like we both came off a little too hard but it sounds like we didnt really mean it that way. I dont always read over all the posts because some of them are just too long for the time limit I have at the moment thats probably why I dont know that much about CAIR. I'll definately try and pay attention more :)
I havent really seen 24 (maybe a few minutes here and there) so I cant say much about the show, other than it seems like all the story lines are the same :confused:

Jolie Rouge
06-11-2007, 09:09 PM
CAIR membership plummets
June 11, 2007

Membership in the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR) has declined more than 90 percent since the 2001 terrorist attacks, Audrey Hudson will report in Tuesday's editions of The Washington Times.

According to tax documents obtained by The Times, the number of reported members spiraled down from more than 29,000 in 2000 to less than 1,700 in 2006, a loss of membership that caused the Muslim rights group's annual income from dues to drop from $732,765 in 2000, when yearly dues cost $25, to $58,750 last year, when the group charged $35.

The organization instead is relying on about two dozen individual donors a year to contribute the majority of the money for CAIR's budget, which reached nearly $3 million last year.

Asked about the decline, Parvez Ahmed, CAIR board chairman, pointed to the number of individual donors to the organization. "We are proud that our grass-roots support in the American Muslim community has allowed CAIR to grow from having eight chapters and offices in 2001 to having 33 today," Mr. Ahmed said.

The self-described civil liberties organization for Muslims seeks to portray "a positive image of Islam" through public relations and the media, but has instead alienated some by defending questionable accusations of discrimination.

Critics of the organization say they are not surprised membership is sagging, and that a recent decision by the Justice Department to name CAIR as "unindicted co-conspirators" in a federal case against another foundation charged with providing funds to a terrorist group could discourage new members.

M. Zuhdi Jasser, director of the American-Islamic Forum for Democracy, says the sharp decline in membership calls into question whether the organization speaks for 7 million American Muslims, as the group has claimed. "This is the untold story in the myth that CAIR represents the American Muslim population. They only represent their membership and donors," Mr. Jasser said.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070611-034232-5919r.htm

okie
06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
I have never watched this show but nobody should be telling any adult what they can or can't watch on tv.

LuvBigRip
06-12-2007, 06:32 AM
Do the words Hell in a Handbasket mean anything? :argh: