PDA

View Full Version : Bangor Bans Smoking in Cars

JKATHERINE
01-10-2007, 08:28 PM
It's a sad day when we have to start legislating common sense (and it's also sad that SO MANY have NONE), and from here it COULD get scary what the government tries to control, BUT, I am glad for this law. I am sick and tired of seeing people smoke in cars with children. It is such a small, confined space and the kiddos have no choice but to breathe it all in. Mind you, I grew up in a smoking household, I breathed that crap in for years (in the house, car, etc.), I WAS a smoker for 10 years....still, this is a good law. COMMON SENSE, PEOPLE....don't smoke around kids. Ya wanna kill yourself, go fer it. Don't kill your kids. JM2C...

Council supports smoking ban in cars
By Meg Haskell
Tuesday, January 09, 2007 - Bangor Daily News

BANGOR - In 10 days, Bangor will become the first city in Maine, perhaps in the nation, to ban adults from smoking in any motor vehicle when children are present.

In a 6-3 vote Monday night, the Bangor City Council approved a measure that prohibits any driver or passenger from lighting up a cigarette or other smoking material in a motor vehicle if anyone under age 18 is in the vehicle. Violators of the new city ordinance can be fined $50. The law applies to any motor vehicle on any public road within the city limits.

In a move that surprised the measure's supporters, the council endorsed an amendment from Councilor Patricia Blanchette that changes a violation of the ban from a secondary offense to a primary offense. That means police can stop a vehicle carrying children if smoking in the vehicle is observed. As originally drafted, police would have to stop the vehicle for some other reason, such as speeding.

Blanchette, a smoker herself, spoke forcefully against passing a lackluster measure that might lack enforceability or "teeth."

"A secondary offense is not worth the paper it's written on," she told fellow council members. People who smoke with a child present in the confined space of a car or truck might as well be deliberately trying to kill that child, she said. "Let's step up to the plate and lead; our children are worth the fight," she said.

Several area residents spoke in favor of the original measure, including several medical professionals.

Pediatric dentist Jonathan Shenkin, a primary drafter of the proposal, told the council that measures to ban smoking in restaurants, bars and workplaces protect adults from unwanted exposure to secondhand smoke, but that children are not protected by these laws. He cited a recent study from the Harvard School of Public Health and report from the office of the U.S. surgeon general showing that children are now at the highest risk of health complications from exposure to other people’s smoking materials and that passenger vehicles are a significant source of this exposure. He argued that the city’s leadership on this issue would encourage other municipalities, and perhaps the Legislature, to adopt similar measures.

Pediatrician Robert Holmberg said the evidence is "incontrovertible" that exposure to cigarette smoke causes medical disorders in children, including asthma, bronchitis, ear infections and heart disease.

"Children are the most in need of the protection by public policy, because they can't protect themselves," he said.

Holmberg told the council the cost of providing health care to children exposed to secondhand smoke is "astronomical."

Other supporters included representatives from the Bangor Region Chamber of Commerce and the Fusion Bangor development group, who argued that the ordinance would demonstrate the city’s dedication to children, families and a healthy work force.

Shawn Yardley of the city's Department of Health and Welfare said the ordinance would help attract state, federal and private foundation grant dollars to promote public health initiatives.

The measure had some detractors at Monday's meeting. Aaron Prill of Bangor said the ordinance was a "feel-good option" that was not intended to protect children but to "moralize" against smokers. Most smokers have enough common sense not to smoke around children, he said.

Children are exposed to more smoke in their homes than in cars, said Eugene Savoy of Davis Road in Bangor. His wife, Denise Savoy, said the council should allow residents to vote on the measure.

Council members debated at length before taking the final vote. Councilor Susan Hawes said police should devote their energies to more important issues, and that there's already too much government intervention in residents' lives. Councilor Anne Allen stressed the importance of developing a strong educational campaign to enhance the new law. Councilor Gerry Palmer said he was willing to go out on a limb and pass a measure that might draw criticism but had the potential to serve the public interest. Councilor Geoffery Gratwick urged the council to show leadership and set an example for the rest of the state.

The measure passed, with Councilors Susan Hawes, Frank Farrington and Peter D'Errico voting against it.

Similar statewide measures have been adopted in Arkansas and Louisiana and are under consideration in several other states.

http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/t/city.aspx?articleid=144999&zoneid=176

sdb_ngc
01-11-2007, 09:49 AM
I agree with this... kids should NOT be subjected to our secondhand smoke.

In my opinion I would consider any parent that does smoke in front of their child to be neglectful.

dc1576
01-11-2007, 11:26 AM
I agree that any parent shouldn't be smoking in a confined space with children, but is this really the governments place?When does the government start arresting parents for not feeding kids properly, or reading appropiate books, or dress, etc.... I know I'm taking it to extremes but I think there are bigger issues our tax dollars should be going to.

Just to add, I'm not a smoker and can't stand the smell but things are starting to get silly. 10, 20, 30 plus years ago every one had a cigarette hanging out of there mouth and somehow we all survived.

freeby4me
01-11-2007, 11:43 AM
I like the ban but agree, should the government really have gotten involved? But we are talking about public streets ect.

JKATHERINE
01-11-2007, 12:18 PM
10, 20, 30 plus years ago every one had a cigarette hanging out of there mouth and somehow we all survived.

That's just the thing...you didn't all survive. There are many dead from smoking and from lung cancer due to 2nd hand smoke.

People can compare cigarette smoke to other things all you want. It's apples and oranges to me. Smokers know that cigarette smoke is bad and potentially lethal to their children. There should be NO question as to if you should do this around children.

It's hard to have laws like this. I'm very liberal and am not excited about having the government tell me what I can and cannot do, but for those out there who lack common sense (or don't care about their children's health), I guess someone's got to speak up for those who don't have a voice (the children).

stresseater
01-11-2007, 07:39 PM
HAHAHAHA covers mouth quickly and leaves before the crap starts to fly ;) ;) :D

tngirl
01-11-2007, 07:41 PM
HAHAHAHA covers mouth quickly and leaves before the crap starts to fly ;) ;) :D

Now, now, be nice

Urban Cowgirl
01-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I think this is a good law. I cannot remember what show it was, Dateline or something like that. A couple was taken to court and was told they could not smoke in their townhouse....because the neighbors could smell it and stuff. When I saw that I was ROTFLMAO. When we lived in ALaska, we lived in Military housing and my neighbors bedroom was diriectly behind mine. Every freaking night I would lay in my bed and watch the freaking ciggy smoke curl up through the outlet and up over our bed. I am asthmatic mind you. I would complain to the woman about not smoking in her bed and she would have a fit(besides my breathing trouble I was always paranoid that she would fall asleep and burn the place down).....However if I even opened a jar of peanut butter in my apartment it bothered her breathing so I wouldn't. The military tried putting foam insulation in the outlets to keep the smoke out, it helped a little, but not much. I was so happy to move from there.

On another note. My Inlaws both smoke but they don't smoke around us or in their house because I don't want Chloe around it. They are very good about smoking outside and washing their hands and stuff after they smoke.

ladyfoob
01-12-2007, 09:34 AM
I totally agree! I smoke and I don't smoke inside my house or in the car. Even if my son isn't home or even in the car. I have a husband that has Astma so smoking really affects his breathing. I think all states should have this law! I have seen so many ppl smoking when their child is in the car. Those children are getting the worse end of it. Because second hand smoke is worse than first hand.