PDA

View Full Version : How about Drug Tests for Assistance?

DBackFan
01-07-2007, 06:55 PM
This was taken from a public forum in a newspaper from Oregon.

I have a question, not only for Douglas County, but for the state of Oregon. Like a lot of folks in this state, I have a job. I work, they pay me, I pay my taxes and the government distributes my taxes as they see fit. In order for me to get that paycheck, I am required to pass a random drug (urine) test, which I have no problem with.

What I do have a problem with is the distribution of my taxes to people who don't have to pass a drug test. Shouldn't one have to pass a drug test to get a welfare check, because I have to pass one to go earn it for them?

Please understand, I have nothing against helping people get back on their feet. I do, on the other hand, have a problem with helping someone sit on their butt. Could you imagine how much money the state would save if people would have to pass a drug test to get a public assistance check?

I absolutely 100% agree

freeby4me
01-07-2007, 07:49 PM
I do agree with that idea a whole bunch. The tests need to be completely random and must be done within say 8 hours of the phone call (or whatever) or they lose the benefits. If you wait longer than that amount of time then people could take something to get it out of their system :mad:

moe265
01-07-2007, 08:59 PM
Maybe they should do the hair sample drug test and then there would be no way to get it out of their system. I think it is a great idea!

sdb_ngc
01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
I totally agree with this.

killbarney
01-08-2007, 02:26 PM
Amen. You want government help, you pass drug/criminal screenings.

dv8grl
01-08-2007, 09:37 PM
It would be so great if this would go into effect everywhere!

ang in NC
01-08-2007, 09:50 PM
drug test would be great

Lori63
01-09-2007, 02:52 AM
Sounds great!

tigger4
01-09-2007, 07:35 AM
I am not sure how they could implement a program like that. I am sure they could try to come up with something. But, they can barely handle the work first programs in most states, so I am not sure how well they could do it.

As for your tax money paying for welfare. It does and it doesn't. It does pay for people who don't receive child support. But, if you are a single mother and your child's father pays child support all of your child support goes to cover your assistance.

I have known women to get $376.00 a month in assistance along with $300 in food stamps. Their children's father pays $1100 a month in child support. Welfare keeps the child support, all of it. So, the state is actually making $424 a month in profit. And then they fight the women when they try to get off of assistance. It is ridiculous.

MsLynn
01-09-2007, 07:42 AM
I agree with this too, it would be nice.

in our state what really drives me nuts, is i'd like assistance to go back to school. but in order to get it, i have to quit work. they won't help me if i'm working trying not to need any other assistance, but if i quit work and draw a check and food stamps then they'll pay for me to go to school too, MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

i'd really like to see a program like that one here

tigger4
01-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I agree with this too, it would be nice.

in our state what really drives me nuts, is i'd like assistance to go back to school. but in order to get it, i have to quit work. they won't help me if i'm working trying not to need any other assistance, but if i quit work and draw a check and food stamps then they'll pay for me to go to school too, MAKES NO SENSE TO ME.

i'd really like to see a program like that one here

That doesn't make sense to me either. In our state the only way they will pay for you to go to school is if you have no education or do very poorly on their testing.

I was on assistance for 2 months while my husband and I were separated. They said I scored too high on the testing to qualify for school. I had to go straight into Work First. I have been at home with my children for 14 years, no one would hire me because I don't have experience or education; but I scored too high on the test. But, I saw them paying for all kinds of people to go to college who didn't have their GED's yet.

dlwt
01-09-2007, 08:34 AM
well the program would cost money as well, and knowing states it will cost alot, but a good idea I believe

LuvBigRip
01-09-2007, 09:27 AM
I totally agree, I think any state/federally funded money should be treated as if you are a state or federal employee. Drug tests to start, random drug tests to continue. That includes any FEMA money. But I guarantee you that the ACLU would be screaming bloody freakin murder if they try to impliment that.

pepperpot
01-09-2007, 09:35 AM
I agree with the idea, but also agree it would never come to pass.....

amysusi
01-09-2007, 11:27 AM
It's a good point, but I can just hear people screaming about their civil rights (oh please).