PDA

View Full Version : Who has a telescope?

buttrfli
12-09-2006, 09:11 PM
Jupiter, Mercury, Mars To Cluster In Pre-dawn Skies
Saturday December 09, 2006 6:51pm

Tulsa (AP) - Stargazers will get a rare triple planetary treat this weekend with Jupiter, Mercury, and Mars appearing to nestle together in the predawn skies.

About 45 minutes before dawn Sunday morning, those three planets will appear so close that the average person's thumb could obscure all three from view.

They will look almost as close together today and Monday, but tomorrow they will be within one degree of each other in the sky. Three planets haven't been that close since 1925, said Miami Space Transit Planetarium director Jack Horkheimer.

The planets are actually hundreds of millions of miles apart, but the way the planets orbit the sun make it appear they are neighbors in the east-southeastern skies. They'll be visible in most of the world -- in the Western Hemisphere, as far south as Buenos Aires and as far north as Juneau, Alaska, Horkheimer said.

The way to find the planets, which will be low on the east-southeast horizon, is to hold your arm straight out, with your hand in a fist and the pinky at the bottom. Halfway up your fist is how high the planets will appear above the horizon, Nichols said.

Jupiter will be white, Mercury pinkish, and Mars butterscotch-colored.

In ancient times, people thought the close groupings of planets had deep meaning, Krupp said. Now, he said, "it's absolutely something fun to look for."
~~~~~~~~~

I am not a "pre-dawn" kinda person, but if I am up I am going to set the scope up :D

YankeeMary
12-09-2006, 09:22 PM
My oldest has a wonderful telescope (one of those I know it cost alot of money mom but man o man I really could learn alot with this thing...lol.) and he would love to see this, but never gonna happen...he is a teenager and I truly don't think he knows what pre-dawn means..lol.

buttrfli
12-09-2006, 09:23 PM
My oldest has a wonderful telescope (one of those I know it cost alot of money mom but man o man I really could learn alot with this thing...lol.) and he would love to see this, but never gonna happen...he is a teenager and I truly don't think he knows what pre-dawn means..lol.

so should I call you around 5am?? :D

YankeeMary
12-09-2006, 09:24 PM
so should I call you around 5am?? :D

Not if you want to live...haha...:eek:

YankeeMary
12-09-2006, 09:27 PM
(my conscience was bothering me) I had to come back to say, just kidding, you can call anytime you'd like. Just remember you have to call me at 4 am your time...lol...or better yet I will give you his number and you can call him at 4 am...hehe.

buttrfli
12-09-2006, 09:27 PM
:eek:

buttrfli
12-09-2006, 09:28 PM
(my conscience was bothering me) I had to come back to say, just kidding, you can call anytime you'd like. Just remember you have to call me at 4 am your time...lol...or better yet I will give you his number and you can call him at 4 am...hehe.

you crack me up LOL

:p

YankeeMary
12-09-2006, 09:31 PM
you crack me up LOL

Sometimes I think I would like to be without a conscience for just one day...then I think nah, it wouldn't be worth it.

Here we are...Off Topic again...tngirl is gonna get us...;)

buttrfli
12-09-2006, 09:34 PM
Sometimes I think I would like to be without a conscience for just one day...then I think nah, it wouldn't be worth it.

Here we are...Off Topic again...tngirl is gonna get us...;)

You wouldn't be you w/o a conscience.... you would be me :eek:

What were we talking about?

YankeeMary
12-09-2006, 09:37 PM
You know the telescope and the planets...

and a good escape route for when tngirl catches us...lol.

buttrfli
12-09-2006, 09:42 PM
oh yea... telescopes and planets... 5am right??

DrGrin
12-09-2006, 09:49 PM
It would have to be something more important that that for me to get up Pre-dawn on a Sunday morning. It's bad enough that I have to get up Pre-dawn Monday-Friday.

Glad y'all don't have my phone number so I don't have to worry about getting called. :D

YankeeMary
12-09-2006, 09:57 PM
It would have to be something more important that that for me to get up Pre-dawn on a Sunday morning. It's bad enough that I have to get up Pre-dawn Monday-Friday.

Glad y'all don't have my phone number so I don't have to worry about getting called. :D

LOL...aww now share your number...she is so nice to talk to on the phone. I am sure will enjoy it...HAHA...:o